Question for relaxed ladies who DON'T stretch

Glib Gurl

How often do you get relaxers? Generally I like to stretch but, I don't know if it's the cold winter weather or what, but my hair is a mess and my new growth is untamable . . . so I think I'm going to nix stretching this go-round and just go ahead and get relaxed. Just wondering how long people who don't typically stretch wait before getting a touch up?

Thanks

I consider a stretch being anything over 8 weeks. Most stylist suggest you relax once every 6 weeks, but its been my experince that there is not enough NG in 6 weeks, however my hair grows slow.

BTW: Im a stretcher, but if I wasnt stretching I would go no sooner then once every 8 weeks.

I am stretching 8-9 weeks. 9 weeks is my cut off mark. IDK how ladies can do longer. My hair would break like crazy.

Depends on hair length in my opinion. When I had short hair, I had to get a relaxer every 4-6 weeks. But as my hair grows I can easily stretch to 7-8 weeks with little problem. Beyond that and I'm a little leery that my hair will start breaking. But I'm slowly working in some stretching techniques into my regimen to see how it works.

ARR

I usually go about 2.5 to 3 months before I get my relaxer. I have always done that. During the summer it is 2- 2.5 months. I have soft fine hair, so I don't get a relaxers as often. I don't want to do any more damage than I have already done to my hair. I am considering stretching my relaxers. I have never done it before so I am a little hesitant.:ohwell:

I dont count weeks anymore. Just when my NG starts to attack my relaxed hair. (Usually 2 months)

This time I'm stretching to 12 weeks, I seem to get a lot more newgrowth when I wait 3 months(12weeks). My last stretch was 9 weeks and it went well I should have went longer b/c I wanted more inches.. I tend to stretch longer during winter months than the spring and summer months..

8-10 weeks for me. Anything beyond that is disaster.

Ditto.

Last year I did a 5 month stretch (the last 2 months with braids) and after that I vowed not to do it anymore. My 4z hair will not allow it and I'm afraid of breakage where the two different textures meet.

For the past 8 years I've relaxed every 5 weeks. This last relaxer cycle I'm stretching to 8 weeks (I know that's not really stretching) and I think any longer for me right now could be a problem.

I had gotten to the point where I would go 8 weeks between touch ups. After my last touch up (at an Aveda saolon), I am going to go back to every 6 weeks. I just have come to the realization that 6 weeks is the upper limit for me. I wish I could stretch for 16 weeks!!! Oh well...everythang ain't for everybody.

Every 6/8 weeks wasn't doing it for me so I go 16 weeks.. Now I have some length to show for my efforts.

My last perm was Nov 23rd and normally I would perm every 6 wks.

Since joining in Dec I decided to start stretching to see how my hair would behave, so not planning to perm until Feb (I've got a confernce so I don't wanna answer why I look that way or I would have gone until the beg. of April).

I'm planning on cuddling my hair like a baby so I'm prayerful I don't experience any breakage from the process.

If all goes well - after my Feb perm, I won't perm again until August/Sept.

Last edited:
Normally every 8-10 weeks. I did go 12 weeks for the first time with my last relaxer. I'm playing it by ear this time...8-10 weeks does work well for me and still allows me to grow healthy hair.:yep:

I usually go 8 weeks. But get this, my stylist is trying to get me to go 10-12 weeks. She's actually encouraging stretching. Most stylists these days want to relax you at 6 weeks exactly.

I aim for 12 weeks, but I usually relax at 10-11. Once my ng starts fighting my relaxed hair and my scalp starts to itch more, I know it's time to relax it. Stretching longer than this usually causes more breakage and underprocessed ng.

I relaxed every 8-10 weeks or 1" of newgrowth. I just relaxed less than a month ago (dec 17) and already have about 1" of growth now. But I'm still gonna wait until the end of the month to relax (hoping for another inch by Feb).

I go between 8 and 10 weeks. I try to go 12, and sometimes I do, but I really don't count. When the new growth gets untamable, then I get a touch up.

I relax anytime after 8-20 weeks I need to get braids though if I am to go beyond about 10 weeks

I've had problems stretching when I used MTG daily. I had so much NG I relaxed every 5 weeks.:ohwell: I am trying to stretch, so my hair won't get damaged.

I relax every 7/8 weeks. It sort of depends on the way my hair is acting...I'm relaxing tommorrow at 7 weeks. The ONLY way I can stretch longer is with 8+ weeks of protective styling. If I straighten my hair at all - the stretch is over!:dighole:

I noticed that with the same routine, if I stretched 10 to 12 weeks - breakage city. I don't count anymore, but around 7 to 8 weeks, my hair tells me it's time and I have had no adverse effects.

Back