Relaxed Hair Thread

Thank you so much divachyk for the Komaza recommendation. It has been eye-opening and I wish I had done it before I started hacking away at my hair because she said I didn't need to cut (just trim 1/4in every 8 weeks). In a nutshell my hair needs more protein. Because I am high porosity, relaxed and swim I never need to worry about protein overload. All my products should have protein in it. Lack of protein is contributing to my hair dryness. It cannot hold onto the moisture. Second issue is the cuticle (halfway downto the ends) is showing mechanical damage, not enough to cut off but enough to rough and dry. My breakage is from dryness and mechanical. I need to be more gentle and I need a leave in that has big slip, cones, ceramides and protein. She said their line didn't have anything and recommended Carol's Daughter Monoi. My hair follicle and the first 3 inches of my hair and cuticle are very healthy and those are the parts I relaxed myself with no-lye so that is great. When I was natural I had lots of people telling me no protein, no cones and more moisture plus my hair gets so tangley and matted easily so combing was a 2 hour affair. The ends of my hair are probably leftover mechanical damage when I was natural. . After I was natural I texlaxed with lye and that probably was even worse because I was treating my hair like it was natural and it needed more protein and cones.. Plus even texlaxed my hair took a bit to comb out so still mechanical damage. Once I switched to no-lye my hair got much straighter so it is easier to comb. She is not a big fan of co-washing and she told me to make sure I shampoo immediately after the pool. She also said my hair didn't need heat to deep condition just slap a plastic cap on do some housework and rinse out after. I am so happy I did this. I was considering cutting and now I know that I was simply using the wrong products. Also I know very few relaxed 4b/c who swim in a chlorinated pool 3x a week it is the only excercise I am medically cleared to do so I am not giving it up and it is nice to finally know what to do. In case any other swimmers out there she told me to.
1. rinse well and apply a little conditioner and a swim cap (i do that anyway)
2. immediately after (don't let pool water dry on your hair) shampoo with mild shampoo (baby is ok)
3. ACV rinse (If I use a swimmers shampoo with citric acid I can skip this step)
4. conditioner for 8-10 minutes (cap)
5. Section hair spray leave in conditioner comb with fingers
6. Apply pea sized creamy lotion with shea butter she recomended their line. She said Shea is more moisturizing than the coconut oil and grapeseed that I had been using. Not convinced about giving up my EVCO but will try and if I need more oil.
7. Air dry. Use heat protectant if using heat (I only use heat bimonthly anyways)
8. deep protein followed by moisturizing conditioner every 2 weeks.

I had suspected that I needed more protein but was scared of overload so glad to know how to proceed. The rest of the stuff, vitamins water excercise diet are things I do already. As for not using a comb? My hair gets matted when I don't comb so I am just going to buy a Mason Pearson comb and be more gentle.

^ I want to try an hair analysis but money is kinda tight right now.

Does anybody have any experience with bss human hair lace wigs? I need something to hide my hair under for now but don't think I'm ready to shell out $200+ for one at a vendor.

Thank you so much divachyk for the Komaza recommendation. It has been eye-opening and I wish I had done it before I started hacking away at my hair because she said I didn't need to cut (just trim 1/4in every 8 weeks). In a nutshell my hair needs more protein. Because I am high porosity, relaxed and swim I never need to worry about protein overload. All my products should have protein in it. Lack of protein is contributing to my hair dryness. It cannot hold onto the moisture. Second issue is the cuticle (halfway downto the ends) is showing mechanical damage, not enough to cut off but enough to rough and dry. My breakage is from dryness and mechanical. I need to be more gentle and I need a leave in that has big slip, cones, ceramides and protein. She said their line didn't have anything and recommended Carol's Daughter Monoi. My hair follicle and the first 3 inches of my hair and cuticle are very healthy and those are the parts I relaxed myself with no-lye so that is great. When I was natural I had lots of people telling me no protein, no cones and more moisture plus my hair gets so tangley and matted easily so combing was a 2 hour affair. The ends of my hair are probably leftover mechanical damage when I was natural. . After I was natural I texlaxed with lye and that probably was even worse because I was treating my hair like it was natural and it needed more protein and cones.. Plus even texlaxed my hair took a bit to comb out so still mechanical damage. Once I switched to no-lye my hair got much straighter so it is easier to comb. She is not a big fan of co-washing and she told me to make sure I shampoo immediately after the pool. She also said my hair didn't need heat to deep condition just slap a plastic cap on do some housework and rinse out after. I am so happy I did this. I was considering cutting and now I know that I was simply using the wrong products. Also I know very few relaxed 4b/c who swim in a chlorinated pool 3x a week it is the only excercise I am medically cleared to do so I am not giving it up and it is nice to finally know what to do. In case any other swimmers out there she told me to. 1. rinse well and apply a little conditioner and a swim cap (i do that anyway) 2. immediately after (don't let pool water dry on your hair) shampoo with mild shampoo (baby is ok) 3. ACV rinse (If I use a swimmers shampoo with citric acid I can skip this step) 4. conditioner for 8-10 minutes (cap) 5. Section hair spray leave in conditioner comb with fingers 6. Apply pea sized creamy lotion with shea butter she recomended their line. She said Shea is more moisturizing than the coconut oil and grapeseed that I had been using. Not convinced about giving up my EVCO but will try and if I need more oil. 7. Air dry. Use heat protectant if using heat (I only use heat bimonthly anyways) 8. deep protein followed by moisturizing conditioner every 2 weeks. I had suspected that I needed more protein but was scared of overload so glad to know how to proceed. The rest of the stuff, vitamins water excercise diet are things I do already. As for not using a comb? My hair gets matted when I don't comb so I am just going to buy a Mason Pearson comb and be more gentle.
Now I'm interested in doing this. How long did it take between sending hair samples to them and them contacting you? Part of me is afraid of sending samples of my hair and then being told my hair is a mess and I need chop it.

I'm going to do an corrective between today and tomorrow. My hair responds well with lye perms. But I realized I ant bone straight....healthy hair.....until the spring rolls around.

Plus I want to rock a layered bob this winter.

Thank you so much divachyk for the Komaza recommendation. It has been eye-opening and I wish I had done it before I started hacking away at my hair because she said I didn't need to cut (just trim 1/4in every 8 weeks). In a nutshell my hair needs more protein. Because I am high porosity, relaxed and swim I never need to worry about protein overload. All my products should have protein in it. Lack of protein is contributing to my hair dryness. It cannot hold onto the moisture. Second issue is the cuticle (halfway downto the ends) is showing mechanical damage, not enough to cut off but enough to rough and dry. My breakage is from dryness and mechanical. I need to be more gentle and I need a leave in that has big slip, cones, ceramides and protein. She said their line didn't have anything and recommended Carol's Daughter Monoi. My hair follicle and the first 3 inches of my hair and cuticle are very healthy and those are the parts I relaxed myself with no-lye so that is great. When I was natural I had lots of people telling me no protein, no cones and more moisture plus my hair gets so tangley and matted easily so combing was a 2 hour affair. The ends of my hair are probably leftover mechanical damage when I was natural. . After I was natural I texlaxed with lye and that probably was even worse because I was treating my hair like it was natural and it needed more protein and cones.. Plus even texlaxed my hair took a bit to comb out so still mechanical damage. Once I switched to no-lye my hair got much straighter so it is easier to comb. She is not a big fan of co-washing and she told me to make sure I shampoo immediately after the pool. She also said my hair didn't need heat to deep condition just slap a plastic cap on do some housework and rinse out after. I am so happy I did this. I was considering cutting and now I know that I was simply using the wrong products. Also I know very few relaxed 4b/c who swim in a chlorinated pool 3x a week it is the only excercise I am medically cleared to do so I am not giving it up and it is nice to finally know what to do. In case any other swimmers out there she told me to.
1. rinse well and apply a little conditioner and a swim cap (i do that anyway)
2. immediately after (don't let pool water dry on your hair) shampoo with mild shampoo (baby is ok)
3. ACV rinse (If I use a swimmers shampoo with citric acid I can skip this step)
4. conditioner for 8-10 minutes (cap)
5. Section hair spray leave in conditioner comb with fingers
6. Apply pea sized creamy lotion with shea butter she recomended their line. She said Shea is more moisturizing than the coconut oil and grapeseed that I had been using. Not convinced about giving up my EVCO but will try and if I need more oil.
7. Air dry. Use heat protectant if using heat (I only use heat bimonthly anyways)
8. deep protein followed by moisturizing conditioner every 2 weeks.

I had suspected that I needed more protein but was scared of overload so glad to know how to proceed. The rest of the stuff, vitamins water excercise diet are things I do already. As for not using a comb? My hair gets matted when I don't comb so I am just going to buy a Mason Pearson comb and be more gentle.

I seriously need to take advantage of this analysis. I am relaxed and my hair can't hold moisture and definitely feels dry no matter what I put in it. It feels good after I shampoo and condition, but when it dries it's not what I expect it to feel like. I do think I need to add more protein in my hair care regimen. I was told in the past that if my hair felt limp that is when I needed protein, but as time went on I found out otherwise.

Now I'm interested in doing this. How long did it take between sending hair samples to them and them contacting you? Part of me is afraid of sending samples of my hair and then being told my hair is a mess and I need chop it.

It took about a week. (They said allow 2 weeks) The longest part was getting enough clean shed hair together because DH decided to clean up and threw my hair ball away! They got the photos and intial analysis to me in a week and available times to schedule the phone consult. (They are located in Sacramento) She spent over an hour on the phone with me until she had answered all my questions. I thought for sure I needed to chop and I thought I had chemical damage but she said no. Knowledge is power.

While waiting for my products to arrive I rummaged around my bathroom (I am product whore) to find something with silk aminos, ceramides protein and cones and realized the stuff I use when I heat syle my hair has those things in it. I just haven't been using them because I haven't been heatstyling. Anyway I sprayed "Its a 10+keratin" on my crinkley rough ends and they sure enough smoothed out and stopped feeling like straw. I still can't wait to cut that area of my hair off but for now I can live with it.

So I did a whole head corrective and it worked!

My hair has the typical water wave because it's wet.

I'm getting this as a haircut to say goodbye to texlaxed/natural hair.

Last edited:
It took about a week. (They said allow 2 weeks) The longest part was getting enough clean shed hair together because DH decided to clean up and threw my hair ball away! They got the photos and intial analysis to me in a week and available times to schedule the phone consult. (They are located in Sacramento) She spent over an hour on the phone with me until she had answered all my questions. I thought for sure I needed to chop and I thought I had chemical damage but she said no. Knowledge is power. While waiting for my products to arrive I rummaged around my bathroom (I am product whore) to find something with silk aminos, ceramides protein and cones and realized the stuff I use when I heat syle my hair has those things in it. I just haven't been using them because I haven't been heatstyling. Anyway I sprayed "Its a 10+keratin" on my crinkley rough ends and they sure enough smoothed out and stopped feeling like straw. I still can't wait to cut that area of my hair off but for now I can live with it.

Thank you. I'm glad that it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be and that you now have insight to what is going on with your hair. It's interesting how they are firmly against cowashing, cause I know for some ladies that works for them.

I seriously need to take advantage of this analysis. I am relaxed and my hair can't hold moisture and definitely feels dry no matter what I put in it. It feels good after I shampoo and condition, but when it dries it's not what I expect it to feel like. I do think I need to add more protein in my hair care regimen. I was told in the past that if my hair felt limp that is when I needed protein, but as time went on I found out otherwise.

I think not using protein is a mistake a lot of people make. I've typed this story before but when I started my hair journey I did what everyone recommends and went on a moisture based regimen. I used nothing with any protein ingredients for two months. At the time I was protective styling with weaves. I took my weave out, deep conditioned, air dried, and my hair felt like straw! I dc'd again to see if that would help and it felt even worse. Out of desperation I ran out and bought an aphogee 2 step pack. While rinsing the protein out I could feel the difference in my hair. It was soft,silky, and strong. I learned over time that for me, dry hair that won't accept moisture Is a sign of moisture overload.

A protein heavy regimen isn't for everyone but if you've tried everything else to moisturize your hair a little protein could help.

I think not using protein is a mistake a lot of people make. I've typed this story before but when I started my hair journey I did what everyone recommends and went on a moisture based regimen. I used nothing with any protein ingredients for two months. At the time I was protective styling with weaves. I took my weave out, deep conditioned, air dried, and my hair felt like straw! I dc'd again to see if that would help and it felt even worse. Out of desperation I ran out and bought an aphogee 2 step pack. While rinsing the protein out I could feel the difference in my hair. It was soft,silky, and strong. I learned over time that for me, dry hair that won't accept moisture Is a sign of moisture overload.

A protein heavy regimen isn't for everyone but if you've tried everything else to moisturize your hair a little protein could help.

Agreed! I made this exact same mistake early on in my journey and my hair paid for it. Broke off something terrible in certain areas and while I'm thankful I caught it somewhat early into my journey, the parts that broke off are still recovering length wise to this day.

I did an experiment some time ago where I used only protein based products for my wash days two weeks in a row. So from shampoo to leave in, everything was protein based. And my hair absolutely LOVED it. Which told me that protein (for me) is super, duper important. I know for some ladies that a sign of dry hair usually means more moisture but, for me, it usually means more protein. My hair is the exact opposite and once I discovered and accepted that, it's been nothing but smooth sailing.

ETA: Not to say I don't use moisture at all haha because I totally do. Just in case anyone thought I only use protein based products :look:

Last edited:
Has anyone relaxed their hair a day after washing without any issues? *look* I'm thinking about relaxing my hair tomorrow because I'm not sure I will have the time to do it otherwise. I'm almost 5 months post and I'm getting fed up with the tangling and ssk's.

I have done this numerous times. There are times I need to relax and my hair is dirty, I prefer to relax on clean hair

Has anyone relaxed their hair a day after washing without any issues? *look* I'm thinking about relaxing my hair tomorrow because I'm not sure I will have the time to do it otherwise. I'm almost 5 months post and I'm getting fed up with the tangling and ssk's.

If I didn't scratch up my scalp during my wash then yes, I would relax.

I got bangs, full ones. And cut about 2 inches off the back (needed it). I'm so loving my hair right now.
Still undecided about transitioning or just doing a very long stretch.

KhandiB and pre_medicalrulz thank you for your input ladies :-) I'm sitting here right now prepooing my hair with SM Purification Mask because it does help alleviate dry/itchy scalp which I've been dealing with at this point.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Now after looking at my hair it doesn't look like it processed period... Roots still looking like it's saying what's up. I wanted some texture but not too much. Second time at self relaxing and this happening smh. I even flat ironed the roots on 450 degrees and my hair reverted.

Attachments

• image-3604875062.jpg
    image-3604875062.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 44
  • image-406754220.jpg
    image-406754220.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 44
Now after looking at my hair it doesn't look like it processed period... Roots still looking like it's saying what's up. I wanted some texture but not too much. Second time at self relaxing and this happening smh. I even flat ironed the roots on 450 degrees and my hair reverted.

What kind of relaxer did you use?

Now after looking at my hair it doesn't look like it processed period... Roots still looking like it's saying what's up. I wanted some texture but not too much. Second time at self relaxing and this happening smh. I even flat ironed the roots on 450 degrees and my hair reverted. Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Is that from the lineage relaxer? Yea it don't look like it did anything for your hair. Your coils look good though even though I know that wasn't the results you're was trying to achieve.

I use affirm Fiberguard mild which leaves my hair semi bone semi textured. A perfect balance.

Is that from the lineage relaxer? Yea it don't look like it did anything for your hair. Your coils look good though even though I know that wasn't the results you're was trying to achieve. I use affirm Fiberguard mild which leaves my hair semi bone semi textured. A perfect balance.

Yes I used Linange. Thanks, I think my coils are pretty but they just tangle and knot up like nobody's business. My hair laughs at mild relaxers. I've underestimated the resistance of my hair. This has occurred with no lye as well smh. I don't even want to bother with a corrective.

Yes I used Linange. Thanks, I think my coils are pretty but they just tangle and knot up like nobody's business. My hair laughs at mild relaxers. I've underestimated the resistance of my hair. This has occurred with no lye as well smh. I don't even want to bother with a corrective.

I had the same result with ORS Lye relaxers. It did nothing for my hair. :nono:

Did you just leave it alone until the next touch up or did you get a corrective? I left the relaxer on for a total of 15 minutes and spent 10 minutes smoothing it.

I did at corrective but the result was not much better. I decided to leave it alone at that point. At 14 weeks, I used a different relaxer and had much better results. The bottom portion is still a bit curly.

I did at corrective but the result was not much better. I decided to leave it alone at that point. At 14 weeks, I used a different relaxer and had much better results. The bottom portion is still a bit curly.

I actually liked the Linange relaxer, it was the first lye relaxer that didn't didn't burn me. I'm conflicted as to whether I should use it again next time but spend more time on smoothing or just go back to no lye. No lye can be drying hence the reason I had switched to a lye relaxer.

I actually liked the Linange relaxer, it was the first lye relaxer that didn't didn't burn me. I'm conflicted as to whether I should use it again next time but spend more time on smoothing or just go back to no lye. No lye can be drying hence the reason I had switched to a lye relaxer. Sent from my iPad using LHCF

I use this relaxer specifically because I don't want the processed look. It can straighten your hair as when I corrected the front, it worked, but you have to smooth A LOT. I still have waves in the front and that's after I smoothed a few times.

I use this relaxer specifically because I don't want the processed look. It can straighten your hair as when I corrected the front, it worked, but you have to smooth A LOT. I still have waves in the front and that's after I smoothed a few times.

Yeah I think I'll just smooth more next time. I was over visiting family and they thought I was going natural, they even thought I was lying when I told them I had just relaxed my hair lol.

Yeah I think I'll just smooth more next time. I was over visiting family and they thought I was going natural, they even thought I was lying when I told them I had just relaxed my hair lol.

How long did you leave the relaxer on for? Most ppl who use it want texture. I get straight results with it but that's because my stylist leaves it on for 20 mins at least and smooths a good amount.

Back