Relaxed Hair Thread

I think it's that time to hide my hair. I usually get synthetic lace fronts but this time I want something that lasts longer.

If anyone ever experienced breakage at their crown, what did you do to correct it? This is my first time dealing with this and I'm so aggravated. I'm not sure exactly what caused it but the only thing I could think of right now is the corrective I had 4 months ago and using a different relaxer. Now I have a few short hairs which I could blend in but it's so disappointing :-(

If anyone ever experienced breakage at their crown, what did you do to correct it? This is my first time dealing with this and I'm so aggravated. I'm not sure exactly what caused it but the only thing I could think of right now is the corrective I had 4 months ago and using a different relaxer. Now I have a few short hairs which I could blend in but it's so disappointing :-(

Keep stress off it, no tight ponytails or if getting extensions try to avoid getting it braided up and just leave it out. Moisturize and seal it daily. If you can wear low manipulation styles like braidouts and twistouts.

Keep stress off it, no tight ponytails or if getting extensions try to avoid getting it braided up and just leave it out. Moisturize and seal it daily. If you can wear low manipulation styles like braidouts and twistouts.

I've been wearing it in a bun or just braided it and pinned it up, I don't wear it tight either. I've also been using protein and moisturizing it more.

If anyone ever experienced breakage at their crown, what did you do to correct it? This is my first time dealing with this and I'm so aggravated. I'm not sure exactly what caused it but the only thing I could think of right now is the corrective I had 4flyygirl months ago and using a different relaxer. Now I have a few short hairs which I could blend in but it's so disappointing :-(

flyygirlll2 I have some broken hairs right along the area where I part my crown in quadrants. It's also the thickest and one of the driest areas of my hair. I plan to vary my parts and kick up the hydration. I just need to give that area a break in general. It gets manipulated most with me parting for wash day and moisturizing.

Hi Ladies - lurker here. :sekret: I've been natural for 8 years and I've decided to relax again. My appointment is Sunday and I'm wondering if there is anything I should do to prep my hair? I used to do protein treatments a few weeks AFTER a relaxer but I never did anything prior to a touchup.

The salon uses Design Essentials.

TIA

Hi Ladies - lurker here. :sekret: I've been natural for 8 years and I've decided to relax again. My appointment is Sunday and I'm wondering if there is anything I should do to prep my hair? I used to do protein treatments a few weeks AFTER a relaxer but I never did anything prior to a touchup.

TIA

Hi there

Before I relax I give myself a clarifying wash and protein treatment a few days before relaxer day and put my hair in a very low manipulative style so that I dont irritate my scalp too much. I also put a generous amount of oil like castor on my hair and scalp just as an extra layer of protection and also to sooth any itchies that may occur so I don't scratch. Day of the relaxer I base an extra time with grease on my scalp and the ends of my hair. Never had a burned scalp once doing this.

flyygirlll2 I have some broken hairs right along the area where I part my crown in quadrants. It's also the thickest and one of the driest areas of my hair. I plan to vary my parts and kick up the hydration. I just need to give that area a break in general. It gets manipulated most with me parting for wash day and moisturizing.

Same here. That area is coarse and I always part it when I wash and moisturize. I'll have to find an alternative in how I part it then.

See that's why I rather just keep my same parts. My hair doesn't like to be over manipulated either. I mostly have the part down the middle, and when combing my hair back try to do a straight back ponytail, I lose extra hairs and hate that! Also when my hair is already set and parted on dry hair, it's nearly impossible to get rid of that part. I have to part before setting my hair but I 'm scared to comb my hair straight back on period.

flyygirlll2 Lilmama1011 I really need to vary my parts because the part down the center is like semi-permanent. I don't even use a comb to part, I use my fingers but my hair is like trained to do what it do.

Washing my hair with all my hair going straight back is not an option -- hair tangles too much. I will try to find other ways to work with my hair when I moisturize/seal throughout the week. That's about all I can do.

Lilmama1011, I agree that if I flip and toss my hair in too many directions, it freaks out.

flyygirlll2 Lilmama1011 I really need to vary my parts because the part down the center is like semi-permanent. I don't even use a comb to part, I use my fingers but my hair is like trained to do what it do. Washing my hair with all my hair going straight back is not an option -- hair tangles too much. I will try to find other ways to work with my hair when I moisturize/seal throughout the week. That's about all I can do. Lilmama1011, I agree that if I flip and toss my hair in too many directions, it freaks out.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out how I will part my hair now without causing anymore issues. I don't use a comb to do my parts either, I've gotten so used to using my fingers. I only use a comb when it's necessary. my hair is tangle prone too, girl are you my long lost hair twin? Lol. I feel like I need a break from my hair. I'm about 4 months post and I'm planning to relax because my new growth is a lot and since it's very tightly coiled it knots, mats, and tangles. I still don't know what relaxer to use.

:giggle: we may be twins flyygirlll2. I moisturized tonight with using a method I've used before but hardly do it because it's time consuming. I parted my hair horizontally starting with the nape area and working my way up to the crown. I applied moisturizer to each section before moving to the next. My hair doesn't tangle or get too crazy if I take my time and properly navigate through my hair.

Tomorrow, I have a consultation to discuss whether or not I'll be going back to using relaxers after 4 years of being natural. If I choose to relax again, I think the experience will be better because I'll actually be more invested in the health of my hair this time around.

I think I've finally decided that I'm just gonna relax my hair. Only thing is I'm so used to not relaxing it now :lol: 22-52 weeks post is my norm. 16 weeks worth of newgrowth won't even be worth the relaxer.

I bought the Linange relaxer in lye this April and I'm just wondering what the shelf life is for it. I've kept it in my bathroom cabinet. It's never been opened.

TIA
reallynow, iLurk gave great tips. And, congrats!

Tomorrow, I have a consultation to discuss whether or not I'll be going back to using relaxers after 4 years of being natural. If I choose to relax again, I think the experience will be better because I'll actually be more invested in the health of my hair this time around.

Good luck at consult Anticipatience08.

I think I've finally decided that I'm just gonna relax my hair. Only thing is I'm so used to not relaxing it now :lol: 22-52 weeks post is my norm. 16 weeks worth of newgrowth won't even be worth the relaxer.

SuchaLady, welcome back!

I bought the Linange relaxer in lye this April and I'm just wondering what the shelf life is for it. I've kept it in my bathroom cabinet. It's never been opened.

flyygirlll2, can you call the relaxer company or maybe even the store you purchased it from?

@ divachyck I purchased it from Ebay. Through researching, I read that the shelf life for a lye relaxer is about 1-1.5 years. I'm used to using no lye, but I wanted to try the Linange.

I have a jar in my closet since spring as well. In not really worried but you check on the underside if it bothers you.

Thanks so much iLurk. I like the idea of a low manipulative style for a few days. Makes sense!

Hi there

Before I relax I give myself a clarifying wash and protein treatment a few days before relaxer day and put my hair in a very low manipulative style so that I dont irritate my scalp too much. I also put a generous amount of oil like castor on my hair and scalp just as an extra layer of protection and also to sooth any itchies that may occur so I don't scratch. Day of the relaxer I base an extra time with grease on my scalp and the ends of my hair. Never had a burned scalp once doing this.

The stylist pretty much ignored me when I said I wanted to relax again, and began suggesting different protective styles instead...

If I want this relaxer done, I may have to do it myself :lol:

The stylist pretty much ignored me when I said I wanted to relax again, and began suggesting different protective styles instead...

If I want this relaxer done, I may have to do it myself :lol:

Anticipatience08 that's weird. Maybe she was stalling with idle talk to make sure you were not making an impulse decision. Are there other stylists in the area that trust?

I just got a reminder why guys opinions of womens hair are null and void :lachen:

I mean nobody's opinion on what you do to your own hair should matter anyway but guys are definitely at the bottom of the totem pole.

To sum it up guys were asked what they think of black women's hair. (not by me)

Basically they don't want to date a black woman that relaxes her hair but they don't want her to be natural cause natural hair is too nappy. And she can't wear wigs or weaves either :perplexed And her hair can't be shorter than apl.

kikisf, Komaza Hair Analysis is awesome. I wrote up a detailed review (with pics) of my process on my blog. They are not product pushers. I would recommend them to anyone. It's very eye opening.
Just got the email today!!!
Thank you for your patience. We would like to schedule your Komaza Consultation for next week. Please advise which date and time works best for and I will email you a conformation apt. date.

9/22,& 9/24 1pm- 7 pm EST, 9/23 & 9/25 2pm- 5pm EST.

Thank you
Jenn

I would bite nails if I had any!!!! I cant wait!! Thanks for the lead!

Nothing happened. That's the problem. I was only trying to correct the front and loosen some of the texture but it didn't happen. The back straightens when roller set but the front is a bit more tricky. The front still looks the same. I can't do it again, so I'm not even going to try.

Back