Re: Sink or Shower for Hair Washing?

I do both but primarily the shower. Sometimes if I have several steps, color, protein treatment, DC I don't feel like jumping in and out of the shower so I start with the sink and then do the last step in the shower.

I guess some people don't realize we haven't always had showers. We didn't have a shower until I was 12. I still don't think I started washing my hair in the shower though until I went to college.

Last edited:
Shower. Getting 2 things done at one time is better. Plus I recall almost getting my butt beat when I was younger trying to wash my hair in our sink lmao never again

Thanks that was funny. I wash my hair in the shower (for the past six months) but up until then, it used to happen over the bath.

I saw that thread. Dumb convo. Anyway, kitchen sink as a kid. Shower as an adult. To avoid hopping in and out the shower, I lean over the tub to rinse out dcs.

Sink. So people with various steps in their routine are really hopping in and out the shower?

Absolutely; I will hop in and out for as long as it takes. For me, it's better than bending my aged back over a sink to tangle the bejesus out of my hair by flipping it back and forth. I would be bawlheaded and in traction doing the sink thing.:lol:

I mostly wash in the shower, but if it's the middle of the day when I wash my hair I will use the sink. But I feel I get my hair and scalp cleaner in the shower.

I grew up with my mom washing my hair in the sink. I prefer the sink because I can take my time and scrub w/o wasting so much water. I don't like wasting water. If I'm doing treatments I will never hop in and out of the shower, never. Sometimes I'll wash in the shower then get out and dc and rinse it out in the sink. My hair doesn't get tangled cuz I rinse one side at a time.

Sink.

I have to be in a real rush to do shower which means I pre poo then jumped in shower to wash everything. Once I'm out I throw in leave in conditioner and keep it moving.

Depends on my mood, but generally both. Wash on the shower, apply dc, rinse dc off in the sink a few hours later.

Occasionally, I'll do all steps in the sink, but that's usually when I've showered already and decide to wash my hair later.

Shower. So much easier.

Most of the stuff i use is on my shower caddy too so i dont need to get out to get anything

I have a detachable shower head so I just kneel beside the tub and use the sprayer. Much easier than the sink and more convenient than hopping in and out the shower.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

It depends on the time of day, but it is either the sink in the laundry room or a combination of shower and laundry room sink. When DD was a very little girl I laid her out on the kitchen counter and washed her hair there just like my mother did I me.

Both. It depends on if I need to shower at the time I want to do my hair. If I'm already clean, but I feel like doing my hair, I use the kitchen sink. My kitchen sink is perfect for hair washing. But, if it's time for my shower and I need to do my hair, I do it all in the shower.

I use the shower. I have a half bath so it's not the biggest struggle in the world to get in and out. But I just might start using the sink honestly. I didn't grow up that way like some ladies here but considering my routine right now, this just might be more efficient and comfortable. Hmm. Food for thought.

Shower - I'll hop in as many times as needed, and will shower my body after the very last step. Much less strain on my neck so I can enjoy washing my hair.

I've never done it in the kitchen sink before - If I'm washing someone's hair, they just bend over in the tub.

Just after a relaxer I wash it in the shower but when I'm several weeks post relaxer I wash in sections in the sink to minimize tangles and knots.

Sink & tub when I was young, shower & sink when I got older. All that in and out of the shower was drying my skin out and time consuming. I wash and apply con in the shower, detangle and section hair in twists when I get out, put a bag over my head and a turban heated in the microwave, then wash it out in the sink. Or I wash at the sink, DC and rinse my hair out in the shower. I don't always have time to sit under a hooded dryer. Or turn into a ashy dried out prune.

Now when I was transitioning I wouldn't dare wash my hair over the sink. I washed and rinsed in the shower faithfully to control the amount of tangles.

Last edited:
I place a towel on the floor and wash standing over the bathroom sink. I don't bend over or anything, I stay standing straight. I do rinse the shampoo out in the shower though.

When I was little my mom did often use the kitchen sink to wash my hair, it doesn't seem abnormal to me at all :lol:

It depends but I grew up with washing my hair in the kitchen sink. I mainly wash in the shower now because it's less painful than leaning over the sink trying to wash my hair. Back be hurting....

Back