Re: Sink or Shower for Hair Washing?

I do both. It depends on what i'm dong to my hair. I grew up with granny washing my hair over a big metal wash tub in the yard. Granny washed 4 heads of hair at a time...oh and this was back in the days when all we had was Flex shampoo...AND NO CONDITIONER!

shower
graphics-dancing-.gif

Both. I wash my hair using the sink and I would use the shower to rinse out the conditioner since the downward pressure from the water helps detangle my hair. In the beginning, I was hoping in and out of the shower after every step which just prolonged my wash day.

Sink.

I avoid tangles by..separating my hair into sections before shampooing..I fill a container with water and use running water to assist with wetting my hair, after lathering my hair I step away from the sink and shampoo Upright...I go back to the sink and use the container and running water to rinse.

I do the final step when I rinse my deep conditioner out as well. There are no dishes in my sink when I wash, I clean my sink when I'm done.
I do not have time to get in and out the shower 4 and 5 times especially if Im doing a protein treatment and I dont have to deal with hair stopping up the tub.

Sent from my SM-G900P using LHCF

Last edited:
Both...I usually shampoo in the shower. Then afterwards I deep condition and since I dont usually feel like getting back in the shower after drying off, I rinse my DC in the sink. I do prefer the shower though, it's easier.

95% of the time I use the kitchen sink. I'm not jumping in and out of a shower to do all these steps. If I'm just doing a quick cowash, I'll do it in the shower. The ther problem is that it's harder to get hair clogs out of the shower drain than in the kitchen sink.

I grew up with my hair being done in the kitchen. Just like everybody else I know.

I lean over outside the tub/shower. :look: Got my hair washed in the sink when younger. And then there's the hair salon...

Shower

However if I'm doing more than two steps in my wash regimen, I'll start in the sink and finish in the shower. I used to wash in the sink more regularly when my hair was shorter, but my sinks are shallow so it's hard to do now.

My mom washed our hair in the empty kitchen sink growing up. Now I use the shower or sometimes the laundry room utility sink. I don't like jumping in and out of the shower so I usually pre-poo with oil, wash in the shower, then apply conditioner. Lately I've been trying steaming in my conditioner as a last step and not rinsing it out. It's working for me and I only have to get in the shower once.

Shower. Bending over the sink or tub is so uncomfortable to me. Also the water pressure from the shower helps me detangle.

Sink or tub for me means tangle city. I wish I could!

Shower all the way. No matter how many times I jump in and out.

I lean over my tub and use the shower attachment to wash without jumping into the shower. I hate trying to wash and shower at the same time.

If it's one step, the shower. It's usually just one step because I'm not a good hair tender. If it's multiple steps, one of those steps is going to be in the sink. I don't detangle in either the shower or the sink, because it takes a long time so I do that watching TV or something. And I always wash or rinse in twisted or braided sections regardless of where I'm doing it.

my mom used to wash my hair in the sink when I was younger, as I got older I washed it in the shower..I would get water everywhere if I wash in the sink now lol

Now that I'm natural, there is absolutely no way I'm venturing to attempt to wash my hair in the sink. I wash my hair in the shower only.

I have a detachable shower head so I just kneel beside the tub and use the sprayer. Much easier than the sink and more convenient than hopping in and out the shower.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

This is what do though I have no aversion to the sink. It just I have a water filter on the shower head and prefer to wash my hair chlorine and mineral free.

I shampoo in the sink with an attachment I bought from Sally's. Then I apply my dc and rinse it out in the shower.

My hair is prone to tangles either way but I mostly use the shower. But I only rinse my texturizer and hendigo in the kitchen sink...its less mess bc I have a deep, black sink

I LOVE this HHJ!!

kitchen sink as a kid. Shower as an adult. To avoid hopping in and out the shower, I lean over the tub to rinse out dcs.

^^this all day. :yep: My mom always washed my hair in the kitchen sink as a kid. Didn't have a shower, just a tub, in the homes I grew up in. It wasn't until my earlier teens that I started washing hair in the shower.

Now, depending upon what I am doing to my hair, quick co-wash or all-day Saturday wash, protein, dc, I'll either wash shower or I lean over the tub. The detactable showerhead is the best! :thumbsup: I totally got tired of the in and out of the shower, dry off, get back in shower routine and swapped showerheads.

Carried over from a thread in ET:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=755083

I didn't even know it was a debate. I just thought you did whatever you preferred but apparently it's one of those things that gets people kind of riled :lol:

So which do you do... sink or shower?
Over the side of the bath makes no difference to me as that is how it is done in the hairdresser's only am leaning forward instead of my head back. Hate washing in the shower it's a ball ache lol esp deep conditioning etc

Back