Rant About Qhemet, and other Wonderful Companies Changing Stuff!!!

Lucky's Mom

OK... I hope that this does not come off as nasty...

Here is the Good news....

I LOVE:drunk: LOVE The companies that have brought awesome products to the Hair care market...........Especially for us.... LOVE THEM!!!!

Some that I have loved....

CON
QHEMET
OYIN Handmade
Aphogee
And others..... I repeat............I love LOVE these Companies!!!!

What I HATE... is that companies - as - soon as you love something and it becomes a STAPLE....They change, discontinue or change the formulation of the product.

This is sooooo Distressing!

I hope the companies can hear us LOUD and CLEAR!!! If you are out there, please.....Hear us!!!!!!

CON - Back to the old formulation!!!! I have given up - and after these two GIANT old bottles are gone... I will no longer be a customer.......... I make my own shampoo - so I am Out....

QHEMET - I LOVE YOU - I LOVE ALL your Stuff!!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE Bring Back the Olive Creme Detangler and Condish! It MELTED my Tangles!!!! I know - I know - you got something new... But why fix somethin' that ain't Broke???

Oyin - OH for the love of Oyin!!!! They changed the formulation of the Shampoo Bar.... Oh the Sadness.......Everything else - I love to death....

Aphogee... Well,I know a few Folks have been upset about this.....I was using the Keratin & Green Tea Product...But the Formulation is a Chemical soup now....:nono: Forget it. I am out....

You are welcome to weigh in ladies.....I am sure other folks are thinking these things.... There are a few items in the last 3 years that I have purchased, and when the formulation changed... I dumped em....

Again....I love All the other stuff from most of these companies,

But - I needed to rant a bit....:lachen::spinning:

Last edited:
YES!!!!! I agree with you 100% that is why I stopped buying certain products from them, because I Love them and then they change, if they ever Change S-Curl I don't know what I would do!!!

YES!!!!! I agree with you 100% that is why I stopped buying certain products from them, because I Love them and then they change, if they ever Change S-Curl I don't know what I would do!!!

I have dropped lots of companies. I don't mention them - Because it is not really that big of a deal...But - this is huge for many folks....
I heard Pantene discontinued something too.....:nono: These companies LOSE money!!!!

An old product i used by Design called Herbal Complex 4 pomade that i LOVED. I used to steal it from my brother cause he got it from his barber.

It smelled great, gave shine, ceased dandruff and it was hard to find.

Decided to go back to it later after giving up and was pissed! They changed everything. Didnt even smell the same. I was SO dissappointed!

For the Qhemet OCCD, I think it got discontinued because a supplier she had been using for something was no longer available. but i agree, it was sad to see it go.

I don't know why they do that, I guess certain ingredienst price get to high, or they can't keep up with the demand. I really hate that, I know only use Indian Powders and Suave Conditoner & S curl, Hoping to make my own S-curl knock off one day soon!!

For the Qhemet OCCD, I think it got discontinued because a supplier she had been using for something was no longer available. but i agree, it was sad to see it go.
I was just going t say that.

I dont think she would have changed the formulation if she didnt have too.

Carol's Daughter, top to bottom. :nono: I used to spend BANK there - and that was before I was truly hairmad.

Carol's Daughter, top to bottom. :nono: I used to spend BANK there - and that was before I was truly hairmad.

Well, on top of them not being SO great in the First place, and being Outrageously overpriced.... the only thing that did work ( the Shampoo ) Changed up!!!!

They were COMPLETLEY dumped by me....:nono: I threw that crap in the trash...

EXACTOMUNDO lol. why she had to go and change the healthy hair butter. that was the first butter i loooooooooooooved. now its like a wax. i walk right by it.
im cool as long as hairveda dont change none of her stuff. with that said i think the whipped cream is changed but i could be wrong.

Yes, this is what I thought was the case, as well.

I guess that can really happen more often when you use natural, exotic, and/or high quality ingredients like Qhem does.

Still miss it though.

yeah qhem didn't WANT to change, but the suppliers sort of leave you @$$ out when they are no longer able to carry the main ingredients you need.

cd...im thinking this. she went big, and they bought stock in it, so they ended up having more shares than the original owner so they have the final say so in how things are done.

which is why i dont mind companies staying small.

Oyin - OH for the love of Oyin!!!! They changed the formulation of the Shampoo Bar.... Oh the Sadness.......Everything else - I love to death....

wait...i know this wine is going to my head and im a bit pickled right now, but when the heck did they change the poo bar?!

wait, it says they changed the packaging, not the ingredients..

Whichever path a small business takes, whether it involves scaling back and discontinuing products, reformulating to maintain current pricing or raising prices to stay afloat, some customers will become angry. It's always a lose/lose situation. In my case, these decisions aren't made arbitrarily or on a whim. Many factors from overhead costs to supply chain disruptions, supplier price hikes and rising shipping costs are are involved. Some ingredients are incredibly difficult to source and resource if a supplier discontinues them. If the response to the CTDG had been overwhelmingly negative, the packaging and raw materials would not have been reordered and it would have been permanently discontinued. Switching back or relaunching is not always an option.

Last edited:
Whichever path a small business takes, whether it involves scaling back and discontinuing products, reformulating to maintain current pricing or raising prices to stay afloat, some customers will become angry. It's always a lose/lose situation. In my case, these decisions aren't made arbitrarily or on a whim. Many factors from overhead costs to supply chain disruptions, supplier price hikes and rising shipping costs are are involved. Some ingredients are incredibly difficult to source and resource if a supplier discontinues them. If the response to the CTDG had been overwhelmingly negative, the packaging and raw materials would not have been reordered and it would have been permanently discontinued. Switching back or relaunching is not always an option.

Wow I didn't know you were a member.
I know there is a lot that goes into running a business so it is a darn if you do, darn if you don't situation sometimes. But as long as the majority of the products are of good quality, the prices are reasonable, and the customer service is up to par, you will continue to do well. We are just venting because we fall in love with our products and it is hard when we can't use them anymore. It is almost like a death. :lol: But it's all good. Q

Here is the Good news....

I LOVE:drunk: LOVE The companies that have brought awesome products to the Hair care market...........Especially for us.... LOVE THEM!!!!

Some that I have loved....

CON
QHEMET
OYIN Handmade
Aphogee
And others..... I repeat............I love LOVE these Companies!!!!

What I HATE... is that companies - as - soon as you love something and it becomes a STAPLE....They change, discontinue or change the formulation of the product.

This is sooooo Distressing!

I hope the companies can hear us LOUD and CLEAR!!! If you are out there, please.....Hear us!!!!!!

CON - Back to the old formulation!!!! I have given up - and after these two GIANT old bottles are gone... I will no longer be a customer.......... I make my own shampoo - so I am Out....

QHEMET - I LOVE YOU - I LOVE ALL your Stuff!!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE Bring Back the Olive Creme Detangler and Condish! It MELTED my Tangles!!!! I know - I know - you got something new... But why fix somethin' that ain't Broke???

Aphogee... Well,I know a few Folks have been upset about this.....I was using the Keratin & Green Tea Product...But the Formulation is a Chemical soup now....:nono: Forget it. I am out....

You are welcome to weigh in ladies.....I am sure other folks are thinking these things.... There are a few items in the last 3 years that I have purchased, and when the formulation changed... I dumped em....

Aphogee pissed me the hell off. That was stuff even before the boards :drunk:, now, not so much. Even Curls the brand, changed up their line, some of the stuff doesn't work the same.

MISS JESSIE's, :wallbash:! When they first came out, the ingredients were GREAT and the ish was much cheaper. Now :yawn::look:, I'll wait for BOGO!

Thats the problem with all companies that grow large. They start off with good intentions then when the dollars flow in they want to make bank instead of looking out for their customer base. So they load it up with chemicals that are cheaper and relatively the same...but they arent. Its the problem with everything in our American capitalistic society. We could have healthier diets but its cheaper for the meat companies to use chemicals to make the meat last longer so they make more money.

I suggest you use it as a positive. As some of you guys stated you just started making your own products. That is the best thing of all, youve adapted ;) and will be healthier for it in the end. As you said the owner of Qhemet didnt want to change but the share holders forced her...Thats capitalism for ya

p.s. the same thing happened to me and Jamaican Mango and Lime tingle shampoo. It used to be au natural then I go to re-up and its chemicals galore WTF the reason I love that company is because its organic and natural materials...now I got to find another shampoo

Last edited:

I love that you come to to board Qhem. You know we really do love your products. My hair loves you for the Burdock Root Butter Cream. My new growth loves you for the Heavy Cream.

I am still not changing my siggie anytime soon though. :lol:

Thats the problem with all companies that grow large. They start off with good intentions then when the dollars flow in they want to make bank instead of looking out for their customer base. So they load it up with chemicals that are cheaper and relatively the same...but they arent.

It can be psychological too. Some people automatically equate change with lower quality which is justified when a company chooses to replace a premium, natural ingredient with mineral oil or silicone but every company isn't guilty of that. I know that Curls' changes actually led to improvements as they are mostly organic now. The Cocoa Tree is actually superior to the OCCD in terms of its ingredient profile. Not many companies choose the upgrade path when and if change becomes inevitable but I always have and will continue to do so. I'd rather discontinue a product than go the chemical soup route.

Its the problem with everything in our American capitalistic society. We could have healthier diets but its cheaper for the meat companies to use chemicals to make the meat last longer so they make more money.

True but unfortunately, everyone doesn't value quality or is willing to pay for it. There are plenty of health food stores out there that offer better, natural alternatives but everyone isn't health conscious and some folks would actually prefer the chemical laden inexpensive meat over the higher priced organic, free range meat. We do have options, just everyone doesn't choose to exercise them.

I suggest you use it as a positive. As some of you guys stated you just started making your own products. That is the best thing of all, youve adapted ;) and will be healthier for it in the end. As you said the owner of Qhemet didnt want to change but the share holders forced her...Thats capitalism for ya

p.s. the same thing happened to me and Jamaican Mango and Lime tingle shampoo. It used to be au natural then I go to re-up and its chemicals galore WTF the reason I love that company is because its organic and natural materials...now I got to find another shampoo

Empress was referring to Carols Daughter. I'm small fry, I don't have any shareholders. :)

Last edited:

Qhem we love you still so it don't matter.

It's okay though, cause I'm headed back downtown BK Qhem to see if they have more ctdg. I'm such a Qhemhead lolol. Plus the stepson needs his own jar of aohc, cause he aint getting mine!

does the amla pomade still have the same consistency, since the formula changed and coconut oil was added?

I used the original formula the winter of 2006, and it saved my ends. It was perfect!

does the amla pomade still have the same consistency, since the formula changed and coconut oil was added?

I used the original formula the winter of 2006, and it saved my ends. It was perfect!

Hi Ballerina,

It has a stiffer consistency but that's due to the base, not the coconut oil. I don't think I'm allowed to post links so go to the Oils & Pomades page on the website and click on the product name for the details.

Qhem: I'll use your products any day. I love the Ghee! I think those that were strung out on the OCCD should just give the Ghee a chance. Honestly, I use the Ghee, the OAHB, and BRBC. The stuff is so high quality, and wonderful. I stayed with you because you didn't go the chemical route, but I can understand why others (such as the Infamous Carol's Daughter) do. Don't change, Qhem. Don't change on bit.
((HUG))

Aphogee pissed me the hell off. That was stuff even before the boards :drunk:, now, not so much. Even Curls the brand, changed up their line, some of the stuff doesn't work the same.

MISS JESSIE's, :wallbash:! When they first came out, the ingredients were GREAT and the ish was much cheaper. Now :yawn::look:, I'll wait for BOGO!

I stopped buying Miss Jessies altogether. They jumped from 38 bucks to 58 bucks in six months....

Come ON!!!!

They will never see me again.

I love that you come to to board Qhem. You know we really do love your products. My hair loves you for the Burdock Root Butter Cream. My new growth loves you for the Heavy Cream.

I am still not changing my siggie anytime soon though. :lol:

I am not changing my sadness either....

****Clears Throat******

"Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here to mourn the Loss of our Dearly Departed Olive Oil Cream Detangler...She was a Good and wise one, Taking away millions of Kinks....May she rest in Peace......"

*****Sitting Down, wearing all Black, With a Comb Stuck in her hair!!":lachen:********

Back