they're watching us

OMG! I was just thinking about this earlier. I believe they are watching us:look:. Lets see if all the products on the black list suddenly disappear?

oh for sure--dont sleep on hair companies--being actual members of hair message boards--what do you think they pay their consultants to do--
shiddd
they are here and everywhere dont sleep

We are a numerical minority but the proportion of hair products we buy is waaaaay bigger then our numbers. I don't know the exact stats but its true.

And if they are watching, I only have one thing to say: STOP WITH THE CHEAP INGREDIENTS AND MINERAL OIL! UNTIL THEN I STAY WITH THE SMALLER COMPANIES AND PRODUCTS THAT DON'T PUT CRAP IN THEIR PRODUCTS

P.S....either way I would support my sisters with small businesses. :giggle:

This is pseudo related. I love Joico. I contacted them about needing a styling cream and sure enough, they put out the moisture recovery styling creme. I was so elated that the company actually listens to their customers. JOICO FOR LIFE! :love:

Now if they could only make a line for us natural curls head folks lol.

Last edited:
oh for sure--dont sleep on hair companies--being actual members of hair message boards--what do you think they pay their consultants to do--
shiddd
they are here and everywhere dont sleep

Theyrrrrre heeeeere! lol
Lemme stop playing like that :look:

this discussion has really got methinking. the new CON is a border line product. it can cater to either our hair or their hair (or atleast they hope it does/should). it does not! (i hope they are listening) the use of a sulfate in the formula immediately excludes it as being a staple product for a lot of hair educated women. i know that sulfates are good for the occasional deep cleanse, but not on our precious locks-- nono. we don't put crap in our hair. i'm going to be out on the lookout for borderline products. this may end up being something that saves my hair. a product like ojon is not quite salon, but it is borderline because it's primarily natural with heavy conditioning ingredients yet it still contains sulfates, perhaps for lightness. i tried it once back in the day, and it sucked, but tried it again in hopes of finding a CON replacement and it was buttery--:lick:. I think it was the change in location. i moved from west pa to nj. the water out in west pa is basically rocks and drugs anyway. i read an article for school stating that the male fish out there were growing female parts!!! that's when i knew that me and my hair had to graduate and go back home. things are much better for us now.:look:

take care ladies, and thanks for listening

I never understood why forums are so "open" meaning any Sally, Sue, or Jane can see what's "in" here, especially a forum where members pay a fee. I don't know. Sometimes I feel like I'm part of some "secret" society when I come on here but really it's not so secret.

Maybe it's just me. I live in a house with other people and 3 of the females don't wash their hair except for maybe about every 3 weeks. So in a way I feel like I know something they don't even though I've shared.

Besides that, I think I've read on here about some peoples' pictures being hijacked from their fotkis which I think is outrageous. Then again is there any way to really prevent that from happening? I don't know.

does anyone else feel like corporate beauty companies are watching us? i mean seriously, just as soon as a product seems to get rave reviews from the african american community, they up and snatch it off the shelves. one thing that ticks me off the most is that every time i decided to make a product a staple, they discontinue it. i got really mad one day, and called the CON people and begged them to bring back the regular formula. they said that they did not plan to do that. so i got into stalker mode and snuffed some out in some predominantly non black towns since i knew that they would not be on the CON tip. and sure enough i found 5 32 ounce bottles of CON and bought every last one of 'em. in the between using the CON shampoo i will be looking for a new shampoo to call my love.

just had to vent. also, some of you ladies who miss CON may want to try this trick and look in other towns. happy hair growing!

I would like to think that if they were watching us as closely as I hope they would they wouldn't be snatching those products of the shelf so quickly. As a matter of fact they should be running to make products that are similar to the ones that we love. That's being business savvy and just plain old common sense. Women of African descent spend A LOT of money in the hair-care field, and these cosmetic companies that cater to hair-care products should be flocking to preserve and make more of the products we love so dearly. Instead they rush to take them off the shelves, make them in smaller sizes, or change the ingredients to inferior ones. I wonder why that is? In my mind that's just plain stupid.

P.S. If they are watching, I want them to read this: Quality products for people of African descent + reasonable prices= $$$ for you . You jack up the prices or ingredients we stop buying, Capice?

Last edited:
This is an excellent post and thread!

They ARE watching. I have a book called, "Secrets of Social Media Marketing" and it discusses this very topic. It tells you how to scope out the needs of an interest group/forum, then how to give them what they want. I have also seen You Tube videos that explain how to do this too.

Not sure, but the CON stuff looks like it has been changed for profit. The ingredients are cheaper. In addition, I think that company and other's like them underestimate the knowledge of the consumer, especially you ladies here. They think you don't know any better.

I once attended a meeting for Cosmetic Chemists and one formulator said, all you have to do is put collagen in the product and they will buy it no matter what. I think since CON is using 'natural' things like .0000000000000000000000001 drops of essential oil, they think we will just look at that and think it is "new and improved" when in fact we are getting so educated here, that we KNOW it is cheap and crappy.

Aphogee is one product that I love and that formula is gone. But I kept the bottle and have the original ingredient list. So I am going to figure out how to make my own. Can't 'nobody' discontinue my home made products.

Lastly, although our numbers may be small comparatively, the African American female is a powerful consumer. Our spending power is estimated at 600 billion dollars for 2008![/B] It is also stated that the way to get to our household is through us.

In addition to that, we spend more than 30% more on health and personal items then Asian and Latin women COMBINED. I think that the average company doesn't know HOW to talk to us. But you all are so savvy that you can't be fooled as one poster put it so eloquently, 'by some herbs in vaseline'! Well, stated!

Last edited:
I actually wondered the opposite. If they hire some of their black women employees to hop on LHCF then rave about their particular product. For example I just love (gobbligoop conditioner) It made my hair grow 12 inches in a year and gave me hair thicker than a horses behind ;). I try to look out for that but so far havent seen anything too suspicous.

I doubt they "take" away products for us cause that would make no financial sense. Although I DEFINITELY notice the shift towards natural products. I outright refuse to buy anything with ammonia or other stripping ingredients. The first thing I do it turn the bottle over and read the ingredients if it has icky stuff in it I wont buy it. Ive come back to stores and read the same products but slowly the really bad stuff is disappearing...so perhaps its a good thing.

I do think some kind of commission for referring people to the site would be awesome, even if it was some kind of discount page for subscribers that actually had some good discounts. They do pop up from time to time. I saved 10 dollars on mega tek when one of the users updated about it.

also...The first ingredients in the ingredient list are the ones that are the most potent, sort of like the previous poster said. so if coconut oil is the very last thing listed it probably has 1 drop of it and its NO GOOD. Also if there are 20 things that you cannot pronounce in the list then I would skip it...Think about it why does your hair need that crap in it??

ps2- like Muffin said, we black girls are not gonna spend a fortune on a hair item regardless so we NEED QUALITY PRODUCTS, reasonably priced!!! and we do check, and discuss, and compare, and read what you put in it

Last edited:
CON? gone
Carson Softsheen Breakthru? gone
Herbal Essences Break's Over? gone

I would have thought that when a product is so popular, they WOULDN'T stop producing it, but the opposite is true. All i have left is my Keracare. If that gets discontinued, it's ON :heated:
The above-mentioned products are still in Sallys and other beauty supply stores in Los Angeles. I just bought a bottle of Soft Sheen Breakthru last week. I saw bottles of this shampoo in several stores.

None of them are in Walmart, K-mart, or Target anymore--at least not the stores I visited.

Last edited:
personally, i think we all should start our own type of hair product business and supply each other with what we need. all of us are here for some of the same reasons if not all of the same reasons. frankly, it seems to be pretty strange how folks with hair texture unlike ours capitalize off of us. we know what we need more than they do. We need more black hair supply stores.

this discussion has really got methinking. the new CON is a border line product. it can cater to either our hair or their hair (or atleast they hope it does/should). it does not! (i hope they are listening) the use of a sulfate in the formula immediately excludes it as being a staple product for a lot of hair educated women. i know that sulfates are good for the occasional deep cleanse, but not on our precious locks-- nono. we don't put crap in our hair. i'm going to be out on the lookout for borderline products. this may end up being something that saves my hair. a product like ojon is not quite salon, but it is borderline because it's primarily natural with heavy conditioning ingredients yet it still contains sulfates, perhaps for lightness. i tried it once back in the day, and it sucked, but tried it again in hopes of finding a CON replacement and it was buttery--:lick:. I think it was the change in location. i moved from west pa to nj. the water out in west pa is basically rocks and drugs anyway. i read an article for school stating that the male fish out there were growing female parts!!! that's when i knew that me and my hair had to graduate and go back home. things are much better for us now.:look:

take care ladies, and thanks for listening

What they normally do is take an existing product, add oil(s) to it or a few more ingredients, and change the label. That’s what makes it compatible to our hair. Then it’s called a “black hair care product.” We can do this ourselves. I’ve done it, and the shampoo or conditioner works fine.

Last edited:
I actually wondered the opposite. If they hire some of their black women employees to hop on LHCF then rave about their particular product. For example I just love (gobbligoop conditioner) It made my hair grow 12 inches in a year and gave me hair thicker than a horses behind ;). I try to look out for that but so far havent seen anything too suspicous.

Actually, I could see them secretly targeting popular posters on this board and paying them to promote products. They have done the same thing on Youtube. People like fafinettx3 have become walking advertisements for makeup products. You just send them the entire line and give them a discount on future products

If Dlewis suddenly denounces ghee and makes Tresseme her staple I will know something is up!!!:lachen:

the only niche in the plan is that we tell each other EVERYTHING on here. So if a company approached one of us we would probably tell the rest of the board

Back