Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Would anyone be able to tell me what kind of oil safflower is and if it contains any ceramides?

Thanks in advance. :)

IMFOCSD & allmundjoi: Yes, safflower oil DOES contain ceramides. An oil with a ceramide content as low as 1% will make a difference in your hair. I've asked questions concerning this oil since I was interested in using it to a fellow member that has a degree in chemistry. I'll direct you both to the quoted posts so you can read what we've discussed. I think the reason why the challenge doesn't have safflower oil listed is because it's not as popular to use? Just a guess.

EDIT: Found the link, hope it helps!

Last edited:
IMFOCSD & allmundjoi: Yes, safflower oil DOES contain ceramides. An oil with a ceramide content as low as 1% will make a difference in your hair. I've asked questions concerning this oil since I was interested in using it to a fellow member that has a degree in chemistry. I'll direct you both to the quoted posts so you can read what we've discussed. I think the reason why the challenge doesn't have safflower oil listed is because it's not as popular to use? Just a guess.

EDIT: Found the link, hope it helps!

Aireen, thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX

I somewhat disgree with the effective minimum ceramide. % that will aid in hair growth (not 1%, but 0.1%). The easier read is,

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/08/ceramides-patching-up-damaged-hair.html

I read the research articles that are referenced as well.

http://www.google.com/m/url?ei=h6PX...YQFjAE&usg=AFQjCNE-Uv1APIMyWZdvxw0N5kMWbuHr9w

I have read studies by (funded by) L'Oreal before. I haven't found anything significantly wrong with their methodolgy other than the sample sizes being small (reduces power and fails to confidently eliminate other confounders, eg bias). I mean a sample size of 44? When they can pay for 4x that. And it is a company trying to make money-the question of conflict of interest arises. Anywhoo. And I don't know the difference between a synthetic ceramide versus a naturally occuring one-resistance to degradation, affinity for hair (natural, relaxed), etc.

HTH

ETA: I totally agree w/the link. I swear I spent an entire day researching ceramides (using up one of my days to concentrate on my own research,smh). Science/technology has not found a way to reliably determine the actual ceramide content in linoleic acids-it's an estimation. I loved the link you provided as soon as I saw the first few sentences. Lol, she and I had both read similar, if not the same, articles. And safflower may have a lower conc of ceramides, but as long as it's greater than 0.1%, which it most likely is, it will work, I am all about getting more bang for my buck and time. Having said that, I am unsure about build up of ceramides-just like anything, you can always use too much. I use wheat germ oil more b/c it is the most studied for ceramides. I also use hemp seed oil. Hemp oil is well studied as well-folks think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread (many uses, including the manufacturing of biodegradable plastic-who knew).

Sent from my DROIDX

my shrinkage is ridiculous. it looks like i have a twa when i WnG.

What products are you using and what's your technique? Your hair is a little longer than mine and my texture seems to be a little tighter than yours but I manage to have a little hang time.

about 7 inches in the back and shrinks down to about half an inch :(

Yep, this sounds just like me. No matter how long my hair gets, it still shrinks down to a TWA, even with product in it :(

Don't fret Miryoku - just think about how much you'll be able to stunt after your no-heat stretch is over :yep: :grin:

Last edited:
i was talking about ur hilarious comments on the chime thread and for you posting this vid...:whipped::whipped:

yeah i was posting the vid being silly... girl I assure u I can't study anyone longer than i study myself... (for me it's counterproductive) so i'm just having fun (kiiiiiinda wondering how can any women captivate another's attention so long):lachen::lachen: unless you're Queen Latif:-0

chime she's cool as a cucumber tho' (talked to her a few times on the YT), her hair is hell-a-mazing--but I'm self absorbed like that
My focus is me, my faults, my growth, my improvements (external/internal:-/.... but yeah i like to kid when folks get all uptight over hair...wooosah

Last edited:
I just did the most beautiful natural hair!!!

I'm in cosmo school and when she walked in I spotted her out and requested her. She is an old lady and she had one big braid in the back. It look half detangled.

Of course I shampoo & conditioned her then blow-dried with a wide tooth comb & round brush. I used the comb chase method with the flat iron, one pass only. I bumped the ends a little. The whole time I was so gentle she kept telling me she wasn't "tender headed". She wasn't used to anyone being so gentle.

It turn out beautiful!! I wish I could've took pics but I didn't want to freak her out. I got it "relaxer straight"!! :grin: She told me she's only letting me do her hair from now on.

Thank you LHCF for all the tips on how to properly tend to natural hair!! I think I'll make natural hair my specialty. I love doing natural hair!!

ETA she's MBL.

Sent from TopNotch1010's iPhone using LHCF

I just did the most beautiful natural hair!!!

I'm in cosmo school and when she walked in I spotted her out and requested her. She is an old lady and she had one big braid in the back. It look half detangled.

Of course I shampoo & conditioned her then blow-dried with a wide tooth comb & round brush. I used the comb chase method with the flat iron, one pass only. I bumped the ends a little. The whole time I was so gentle she kept telling me she wasn't "tender headed". She wasn't used to anyone being so gentle.

It turn out beautiful!! I wish I could've took pics but I didn't want to freak her out. I got it "relaxer straight"!! :grin: She told me she's only letting me do her hair from now on.

Thank you LHCF for all the tips on how to properly tend to natural hair!! I think I'll make natural hair my specialty. I love doing natural hair!!

ETA she's MBL.

Sent from TopNotch1010's iPhone using LHCF

This is great, i know it gave you such a good feeling.......good for you. :)

@ aireen, thank you. I used my safflower oil lastnight mixed with my DC and my hair felt soooo good! I will be figuring out ways to use it daily.

AlliCat, for blogspot, do you know how to properly align pictures where you want them? I'm having difficulty doing this successfully every time I want to update.

OMG why when i do a protective style within 3 days it looks like its been in 3 weeks! I hate protective styling. I sooo want to wash my hair. I shouldve never cut my shoulder length hair to neck length! wahhhhhhhhhh!

OMG why when i do a protective style within 3 days it looks like its been in 3 weeks! I hate protective styling. I sooo want to wash my hair. I shouldve never cut my shoulder length hair to neck length! wahhhhhhhhhh!

iamtan, is that Taeyang in your profile picture?! :look:

ETA: Why did you go back to NL? Usually people hate to stay at NL or SL so they try not to cut. Did you have damage?

Last edited:
my hair feels great, I was to lazy to blowdry cause of various reasons but I may do it tomorrow. My hair has thickned up and feels great. I still haven't brushed or detangled.

Droid typing leads to typos for me

iamtan, is that Taeyang in your profile picture?! :look:

ETA: Why did you go back to NL? Usually people hate to stay at NL or SL so they try not to cut. Did you have damage?

lol....yes that is Taeyang <3 what you know about Taeyang! :D lol....

I went back to NL because when I first started my journey I over-analyzed my hair :lol:. I thought it was damage at the time but it really wasn't THAT damage, now that i look back lol....it's growing back though. Never will i do that again.

lol....yes that is Taeyang <3 what you know about Taeyang! :D lol....

I went back to NL because when I first started my journey I over-analyzed my hair :lol:. I thought it was damage at the time but it really wasn't THAT damage, now that i look back lol....it's growing back though. Never will i do that again.

iamtan, he's the second cutest member in Big Bang! TOP beat him, sorry. :grin: What do I know about Taeyang? I have a lot of Asian friends that have sucked me into listening to KPOP against my will. :look: I don't listen to them really but he has a cute face. :lol:

Ah... I see. Yeah you probably could've worked with your hair if it wasn't too damaged but since you have a fresh cut you can now retain healthier hair if you're consistent with good practices. :grin:

Back