Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Drove out of my region (which is in “lockdown“ and all nonessential stores are closed) to get to a winners so I could re up on my faves— Joico intense hydrater and Giovanni smooth as silk conditioner. Got two bottles of the Joico but they were sold out of the Giovanni :(. I hesitantly picked up a random conditioner (Sukin naturals balancing conditioner) because the ingredients are similar to the SAS. Ugh, I hope it works. @toaster I feel your pain with the briogeo.

I haven’t opened it yet! I’m gonna press my hair on the 18th so I’ll let you know how I like it. But I never flat iron my hair so I’ll probably like it regardless lol

Did you use the Bio ionic flatiron yet? How was it? It’s on sale at Sephora, and I’m trying to decide if I should get it.

Did you use the Bio ionic flatiron yet? How was it? It’s on sale at Sephora, and I’m trying to decide if I should get it.
Oh yes I did use it! I loved it! My hair is silky straight with one pass at 400. But I don’t know if the flat iron gets the credit or if it should go to the airwrap lol. Either way a great combo. I’ve never been able to get a “silk press” result at home before.

the only thing that annoyed me was that the temp increments are in 20 degrees. I was planning to flat iron on 410 but there is no 410... just 400 and 420. Worked out just fine though, I might even try 380 next time.

@ItsMeLilLucky !!

Today was gonna be wash day but after the rice water spray, hair felt so refreshed and scalp feels so good. I do not know that feeling is equivalent to it actually being okay to continue so many days without washing the hair, but no itchiness or any sort of change that would alert me to irritation. When I rebraid after the rice water dries, the braids hold so much better and easier to do.

Today was gonna be wash day but after the rice water spray, hair felt so refreshed and scalp feels so good. I do not know that feeling is equivalent to it actually being okay to continue so many days without washing the hair, but no itchiness or any sort of change that would alert me to irritation. When I rebraid after the rice water dries, the braids hold so much better and easier to do.
Did you make it yourself or purchase it? I’ve been eyeing a few ready made sprays

I'm a bit bummed out at the possibility that I bought the RevAir prematurely and my crown will still be bare enough to be depressing. Miracle hair growth by 15-Jan-2021 isn't a realistic possibly either. I bought it to help me get sleek enough blow dried hair to allow me to see where to trim my ends.

I know I need to press on but there are days when it really bums me out.

Did you make it yourself or purchase it? I’ve been eyeing a few ready made sprays

It isn't ready-made. If you are not looking for something truly fermented:

With a small amount of of organic white rice washed many times over. Also boiled half of what was left to soak a day. Have been using for about 6 days or longer and it hasn't gone off (fermented) as far as I can see.

Few drops of EOs, some oils 1/4 tspn MSM and a bit of honey in herbal tea were added a day or 2 days after making... and that may have helped.

:bighug:@mzteaze
I'm a bit bummed out at the possibility that I bought the RevAir prematurely and my crown will still be bare enough to be depressing. Miracle hair growth by 15-Jan-2021 isn't a realistic possibly either. I bought it to help me get sleek enough blow dried hair to allow me to see where to trim my ends.

I know I need to press on but there are days when it really bums me out.

Bobby pins: this might be obvious or something people generally do but I didn't!

I realized If I am using the Bobby pins to pin back my short hair I can loosen it (pulling the pin apart prior and pressing but not too much just loosening the hold slightkly) to prevent damage and breakage. Since hair is usually full of texture or in twists the pin has enough to hold and not fall out.

Oh yes I did use it! I loved it! My hair is silky straight with one pass at 400. But I don’t know if the flat iron gets the credit or if it should go to the airwrap lol. Either way a great combo. I’ve never been able to get a “silk press” result at home before.

the only thing that annoyed me was that the temp increments are in 20 degrees. I was planning to flat iron on 410 but there is no 410... just 400 and 420. Worked out just fine though, I might even try 380 next time.

@ItsMeLilLucky !!

I’m still on the fence. I don’t know if I can be trusted to own a flatiron. :lol: And I plan to get my hair professionally straightened and trimmed at least every 12 weeks this year. I don’t think I need to be flat ironing anymore than that... But it’s such a good price right now. o_O

I’m still on the fence. I don’t know if I can be trusted to own a flatiron. :lol: And I plan to get my hair professionally straightened and trimmed at least every 12 weeks this year. I don’t think I need to be flat ironing anymore than that... But it’s such a good price right now. o_O
lol if you miss this sale I’m sure there will be sales again in the future! I haven’t owned a flat iron in years cus I used to always get it done at a salon as well, so if that is your plan then you probably don’t need one. But hey, don’t let that stop you :laugh:

on Sunday evening despite thinking i wouldnt i DID end up washing hair lol

moisturized with plain filtered water yesterday night ...
with excellent results.

I was able to rebraid and retwist yesterday night, and having a good hair day today because of it.
plain filtered water rather than rice water is a great moisturizer, if you have a conditioner on too left in. i guess the key i noticed was 'rubbing' the water or ensuring it went throughought the strands, not JUST the scalp or dripped on but running hands through it.
I actually applied water with a couple of tissues soaked in and squeezed on and run through the strands esp the ends.

i guess it's overkill but my hair is looking nice today still.

hm. good plan. i think i will adopt that.

With a professional job of straightening/blowdrying it to be stretched, it's so much better than when I went happy with the flat iron. When i did that my hair was so badly damaged.

the pincurls in my profile picture right now, is from some years ago, but it was after a PROFESIONAL straightening/stretch with blow dry, rather than flat ironing. It lasted over a week. i cannot do that with a DIY attempt of blowdring and flat ironing.

I think that was day 3, where i did wet set of pincurls the night before, and the result was so smooth. When I attempted that with a flat iron DIY, my hair was so frazzled, and the pincurl attempt would reflect that.

Perusing old threads, it's strange how sodium hydroxide didn't come on the radar in haircare ingredients until after the natural hair movement, less relaxer usage starting to take hold.

It's just strange to see.

Were businesses afraid a lucrative money maker was about to die out, was it sheer coincidence that the natural hair movement coincided with mandates to be more transparent with personal care ingredient lists [creamy poos and NaOH connection], or is the main ingredient in straightening processes just no salty hydrogen bubbles and trade secret holders refusal to divulge such secrets to up and coming hair newbie businesses.

So many choices, and I still am at a loss of what to use, buy, partake of. I am reminiscing about days of old, but those brands are AT LEAST 15 years old...

So unlike stocks in gold, silver, and coffee, rice, investing in decades old hair care is a none.

Happy hair growing everyone. So much new stuff, but I am so missing the old school soft sheen breakthru shampoo, the sheen [pun not intended] of optimum care moisture rich hair moisturizer circa mid 90s.

So many fun products, trends, advertising, before life, greed, and bitterness led to odorless, weird textured, strange consistencied products I am not used to.

I have no idea what to use on this hair.

Still a suave girl by default, but I really miss the excitement of loving a product. The joy, elation, fun, exuberance. I want that, but I promise not to order 20/30 year old stock off ebay either.

Best.

It's nice to finally have a good handle on pj'ism. *knocks on wood* I think 2020 and all the hard times that came with it helped with that.
What a good post.

Our resourceful parents grandparents or great grandparents with the great depression or earlier with less ready-made and easily available goods made do (hard times). I often wished I could muster that spirit they had.
I wish I could be like those whose whole lives they had a select few reliable items for each category of personal grooming and style in their lives. and enough ingenuity to get the best of every purchase. Rather than accumulation which is my way.

My dad told me the other day when I mentioned how I had to buy a textbook on ebay .. he said if you use it like you meant to,
it will be free for you. If you fail to make use of it and put it aside, it will have been very costly for you. It's pretty much the case with products esp as they expire.

i'm loving moisturizing and sealing with mielle white peony leave in and qhemet biologics amla and olive heavy cream.... Moisturized for days.... I didnt think mielles leave in would work for me because its a liquid but it's super great stuff.

When i wash my hair i think i'm going to use it as the l in my loc method.... i'll do mielle, kinky curly and qhemet biologics..... lets see how that turns out.... i'm tryna have that succulent hair..

My awesome ic Fantasia hair polisher aloe vera gel how I missed you! Detangling is so easy! Styling is a breeze.
Mixed with the Scurl Activator (just experimenting) and diluted with water, for a spray bottle.

I used that mix early morning, and rice water after. Then jojoba oil.

With this ic gel, simplicity is definitely best, I'd be better off using that alone, and the water added in, with the simple oil. The other fancy additions were unnecessary.

Perusing old threads, it's strange how sodium hydroxide didn't come on the radar in haircare ingredients until after the natural hair movement, less relaxer usage starting to take hold.

It's just strange to see.

Were businesses afraid a lucrative money maker was about to die out, was it sheer coincidence that the natural hair movement coincided with mandates to be more transparent with personal care ingredient lists [creamy poos and NaOH connection], or is the main ingredient in straightening processes just no salty hydrogen bubbles and trade secret holders refusal to divulge such secrets to up and coming hair newbie businesses.

So many choices, and I still am at a loss of what to use, buy, partake of. I am reminiscing about days of old, but those brands are AT LEAST 15 years old...

So unlike stocks in gold, silver, and coffee, rice, investing in decades old hair care is a none.

Happy hair growing everyone. So much new stuff, but I am so missing the old school soft sheen breakthru shampoo, the sheen [pun not intended] of optimum care moisture rich hair moisturizer circa mid 90s.

So many fun products, trends, advertising, before life, greed, and bitterness led to odorless, weird textured, strange consistencied products I am not used to.

I have no idea what to use on this hair.

Still a suave girl by default, but I really miss the excitement of loving a product. The joy, elation, fun, exuberance. I want that, but I promise not to order 20/30 year old stock off ebay either.

Best.
Yesd I found out about lye relaxer due to articles written in black hair care magazines. But wouldn't dare use one until recently. When I understood more.

I switched from being a long time user of keracare to mizani and I think they are they are best as they innovate and do more r & d into their products.

We know more about products than we did 20 years ago so companies should be revising their products and ingredients. The older formulations that people do not buy should be discontinued. As people have moved on from heavier oils

Back