Question re:stretching

BronzyBella

The last time that I relaxed my hair was Sept 28th, '06. I was thinking about getting braids in January '07 instead of a touch up, and leaving them in for 2 months before relaxing my hair sometime in March '07.

I just don't want my hair to break off once I finally do relax my hair, and am trying to learn more about how to treat my new growth.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Dee ;)

Karma, I am not a pro but braiding sounds like a good plan. I would recommend nothing too tight and maybe getting the hairline redone over as needed. After the braids you will still have to deal with the new growth because you will wanna give your hair a break before you relax. A week or two of deep conditioning should help. Don't forget to use a softener to help comb through the newgrowth. Sta-Sof-Fro has been my best friend during this stretch....12 weeks wednesday! Good luck with whatever you decide.:D

I forgot to mention that I use olive oil on my roots either during conditoner or after I rinse out. Olive oil will really and truly soften the roots so you get less breakage.

Thank you both. The links on stretching really helped, as did the advice about waiting a couple of weeks after taking braids out, to relax. In my 'teens, I would often take out braids, and have my hair relaxed at home the very next day. I remember dealing with a lot of shedding for a few weeks afterward.

Back