Tips on Self Relaxing Please

Re: Tips on Self Relaxing Please - Hello Londondiva?

You're welcome. You DO have some long and pretty natural hair there.
smile.gif
You make sure to do a strand test on various sections of your hair before relaxing. The hair on the side of my head does not react the same as the rest of my hair. The curls are smaller there. It needs less time.

Mufasa I don't know if this will help but I recently relaxed my own hair at home by following the package directions meticulously. It wasn't really too difficult. I used Motions Oil Mild, put vaseline around hairline, parted hair into 4 sections and spent a max of 2.5 minutes on each section. I started with the nappiest portion of my hair, then the next nappiest, etc. then smoothed it all down with my fingers section by section. The directions said keep on for 8 minutes but I kept it on for 10 minutes, washed w/neutralizing shampoo, then conditioned w/Motions moisturizing conditioner.

Some people state that Motions Oil Mild didn't get their hair straight but with my thin-textured hair I was quite pleased.

Then after harvest testing I applied henna w/herbs, oils & conditioners, so that I could safely color my gray hairline. My hair is easier to manage than it has been in years really and I think the post-relaxer henna helped w/strength.

I did this 3 weeks ago. I'm sure new growth application will be much more challenging.

Good luck with this & gee you have quite a bit of hair...

found this in a search. Very good information for anyone who wants to self - relax

Thanks for bumping it up. If I could pull this off I could distance myself from my stylist.
smile.gif

From my own experience, the best tip that I can give you is to see a professional stylist when it comes to relaxing! Meanwhile, good luck!
AIM : morenitaprincesa

Adding my method here:
smile.gif

relax in 2 sections two or three days apart. (You can also do this the same day. I used a sprayer in the kitchen sink and realized after I was done that I had been so good at directing the water that I hadn't gotten the unrelaxed half of my head wet. However, it already had conditioner so it was too late to do it that day)

I do my hair in two sessions because it is very thick and getting a little long, and I have found it impossible to do my entire head all in one go.

1. Part hair down the middle (nose to nape). Take one side, coat in cholesterol conditioner and secure with a hair band. (skip cholesterol if you are doing the second half on the same day)
2. Detangle and section of the rest of the hair, 2 sections in each row. (Be sure to count the sections as you go and know how many you have, total). I had about 16 I think. I didn't count this time, this is something I thought of to do next time, to be extra sure all sections have been covered.
3. Clip each section where the relaxed hair begins. Rub cholesterol into the previously relaxed hair, lightly twist and secure end with a rubber band. (the kind used for braiding)
4. Flip all the sections forward onto your head.
5. Starting one section away from the bottom hairline, take a tint brush and brush relaxer onto underside of section, then flip down and brush onto top.
6. After getting to the sections at the front hairline, go back and do the back hairline section.
7. Flip all the sections forward again.
8. Starting again one section away from the bottom, remove the clip and the band and smooth using the back of a comb. Smooth the underside, flip down and smooth the top side.
9. Proceed up the scalp in this manner until all have been smoothed.
10. Go back and smooth the back hairline.
11. You should still have about 5 minutes left (If you leave it on 20 minutes). Go back and keep smoothing.
12. Rinse rinse rinse, neutralize neutralize neutralize. Apply your instant conditioner.
13. Place hair in a mini bun.
14. Rinse cholesterol from other half of hair, detangle well, dry and bun.

Repeat process in 2-3 days on other half.

Next time I also intend to start in the middle of my head, in other words do the crown first. Since I can see that part easily in the mirror it should be no problem.

I hope this method may help someone. For all you people that have found stylists to be untrustworthy, incompetent, uncaring, or just not a good fit for you, keep trying until you find a method that works.

Happy self-relaxing!

Note: I no longer rubber band the ends. I have found that cholesterol will hold my hair twisted so I don't have to worry about removing bands.

Thanks ladies! I have been getting better at self-relaxing now. I started off with the ORS Regular Kit and now I am using Optimum. Before I would have to dish out anywhere from 40-80 dollars per touch up, and almost always they would skip important parts ( like using vaseline for the surrounding skin) and for some reason stylists would love to use super strength relaxer when I really should be using mild.

I feel so free now :grin: I no longer have to depend on salons for rollersetting or relaxers like before. Now they will only see me when I need a haircut ( I am not about to do a DIY on that...)

Back