PROTEIN IS MY FRIEND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking in:

I co-washed last night with Nexxus Keraphix for a few mins followed by Back to Basics Honey Hydrating Conditioner. I applied my leave ins, sealed, and wet bunned. My hair felt great as always. My hair really likes the co-washing. I tried it before using Suave, V05, and White Rain and wanted to make it work but my hair would always feel dry and would shed a lot for some reason. I'm glad I found these conditioners because they are working great with my hair. I don't shed a lot and I don't have any breakage.

The Back to Basics Honey Hydrating has hydrolyzed wheat protein and hydrolyzed soy protein and the Salon Care Honey Almond has hydrlyzed keratin in it. I figured that I would try them out as DC and the results were great. DC'ing with these make my hair silky, soft,and moist without being spongy. I think I have my staple conditioners for a while until I see that they no longer work.
Good for you finding something your hair likes! You go girl! I know the feeling too!

OHHHH thats you. you so cute!

Thank you, Patricia:blowkiss: You're so sweet =)

Thanks to protein, my hair is airdrying with curls and waves instead of stringy tendrils. I've been doing protein treatments 2-3 times a week since over-processing with relaxer, and my hair finally has had enough. I can cut back to a treatment a week now. I'm so excited at this new development:drunk: I'm concentrating on health right now, but I have been using BT to help with length. Too early to tell now, but I feel confident that I will be back at APL by the end of the year!

I did Joico's 17 min reconstructor (4 step process). I sprayed with my aloe vera juice/distilled water/avococo oil spritz, rubbed in lacio lacio and use my KeraSoft product for my wash n' go then sealed with castor oil. I have to say that my hair feels soft and strong today. I had serious hand in hair disease at work today!

Did a methi tea rinse and cowashed with AOGPB. A 9.5 baby! Now I have to try not to play with my hair once it airdries bc I'm wet bunning it.

I did Joico's 17 min reconstructor (4 step process). I sprayed with my aloe vera juice/distilled water/avococo oil spritz, rubbed in lacio lacio and use my KeraSoft product for my wash n' go then sealed with castor oil. I have to say that my hair feels soft and strong today. I had serious hand in hair disease at work today!

Ohhhh, don't you just love Joico??? I do the 4 step, 17 minute miracle every Monday. My hair has never looked better.

Good for you!

I am soo in on this challenge but late. Most articles I have read always say natural hair doesn't need much protein assuming all naturals have coarse hair. I did until yesterday. I'm a natural with fine hair and I thought that was imppossible. :lachen:

It's hard to get the protien products mentioned on the thread for me but I thought about a mayo, egg, or avocado mask instead. Will that work on a weekly bases?

Last edited:
Thank you, Patricia:blowkiss: You're so sweet =)

Thanks to protein, my hair is airdrying with curls and waves instead of stringy tendrils. I've been doing protein treatments 2-3 times a week since over-processing with relaxer, and my hair finally has had enough. I can cut back to a treatment a week now. I'm so excited at this new development:drunk: I'm concentrating on health right now, but I have been using BT to help with length. Too early to tell now, but I feel confident that I will be back at APL by the end of the year!
Yep my hair won't go bone straight. I know its cause of the protein. Yeah you will be at APL for sure! Its not by chance we here. We suppose to be here helping each other reach goals!

I love strong yet soft. Who would have know we can have it all!

I am soo in on this challenge but late. Most articles I have read always say natural hair doesn't need much protein assuming all naturals have coarse hair. I did until yesterday. I'm a natural with fine hair and I thought that was imppossible. :lachen:

It's hard to get the protien products mentioned on the thread for me but I thought about a mayo, egg, or avocado mask instead. Will that work on a weekly bases?
Better late than never. Welcome to the challenge. I'm adding you name. Lots of ladies use egg for protein. Avocado sounds like protein too! Let us know how you wash day turn out.

Ladies, I have not left the challenge, I am wearing my hair flat rowed with a wig and the only thing I can really do with it is spray it with my ayurveda strength and moisturizer spray mixture daily. I will be washing it on the weekend but still unsure if I will be undoing them. They still look pretty good for another week so I'll see.

Thanks for bumping AJJ...I used some MT mixed with a little GVP k-pak conditioner for strength and is now DCing overnight with Kenra MC mixed with some AO HSR. My flat rows feel so soft right now and I am loving this new method taking care of my hair. I think I'll do this for a while:yep:.

Last edited:
Thanks Aggie - I am going to check these out!!!

Girl I noticed that you had the AO GPB Shampoo in your arsenal...All I can say is *Beware*...that stuff had my hair in a hard,tangled mess!!! I shampooed with it in the shower and manipulated to prevent tangling..I had to use my Nexxus Ensure to get the tangles out before I conditioned- still lost more hair than necessary...AO shampoos suck!!! I am using it to clean my combs and brushes...

Agree...AO shampoos suck!!!!

It's been a while but I have using my protein as needed. A couple of weeks ago I did a clarifying wash followed by a protein treatment with Joico K-pak for like 30 min. My hair felt like a 9 or so which was great.
Last week I did another deep protein treatment since I was going to straighten my hair and used yoghurt & amino acids however I couldn't find the greek yoghurt and used plain yogurt and it didn't seem to work as well for me. My hair still felt mushy and the culs looked as they always do...still frizzy. I plan to do another treatment this weekend because of using heat this week to get my hair back in shape.

Yep my hair won't go bone straight. I know its cause of the protein. Yeah you will be at APL for sure! Its not by chance we here. We suppose to be here helping each other reach goals!

Between this challenge and the "I Love Strong Hair" challenge, I think I'm all set to make it. APL here I come (again):drunk: I'm looking forward to getting the Perfect Blend; I'll be ordering next week.

Did an egg shampoo/pre-poo yesterday, followed by keratin shampoo and deep conditioner with Joico Moisture Recovery. I'll be doing the egg treatment only once a week since my hair is now in good health. Hair is thicker, soft and strong. Extra bonus is that my new growth is more defined...I didn't know I had that much already:grin: Another 10!

Agree...AO shampoos suck!!!!

Thanks jbailey and sqzbly for the heads up. In my honest opinion, most to all natural poos suck and leave your hair feeling stripped. I think the trick is to add oils to them so that they glide effortlessly through the hair. It works for me so far. Also, it would really help to pre-oil the hair before applying them. I do know that the conditioner softens the hair right back up. In any event, I never comb my hair while shampooing and I try to add my poos to a little water before adding the mix to either pre-oiled or pre-conditioned hair. It really helps.

Thanks for bumping AJJ...I used some MT mixed with a little GVP k-pak conditioner for strength and is now DCing overnight with Kenra MC mixed with some AO HSR. My flat rows feel so soft right now and I am loving this new method taking care of my hair. I think I'll do this for a while:yep:.
THATS GREAT AGGIE. GIVING YOUR HAIR A BREAK WITH FLAT TWISTS:yep::yep:

It's been a while but I have using my protein as needed. A couple of weeks ago I did a clarifying wash followed by a protein treatment with Joico K-pak for like 30 min. My hair felt like a 9 or so which was great.
Last week I did another deep protein treatment since I was going to straighten my hair and used yoghurt & amino acids however I couldn't find the greek yoghurt and used plain yogurt and it didn't seem to work as well for me. My hair still felt mushy and the culs looked as they always do...still frizzy. I plan to do another treatment this weekend because of using heat this week to get my hair back in shape.
Thats good to hear you on track. Be sure to take care of the mushy hair with another treatment.

Between this challenge and the "I Love Strong Hair" challenge, I think I'm all set to make it. APL here I come (again):drunk: I'm looking forward to getting the Perfect Blend; I'll be ordering next week.

Did an egg shampoo/pre-poo yesterday, followed by keratin shampoo and deep conditioner with Joico Moisture Recovery. I'll be doing the egg treatment only once a week since my hair is now in good health. Hair is thicker, soft and strong. Extra bonus is that my new growth is more defined...I didn't know I had that much already:grin: Another 10!
Yep we going to do it. I'm going to get over stage fright too:lachen:. What is keratin shampoo? I'm also working on a forum type setting, so ladies can post themselves in the challenge. any ideas let me know

Yep we going to do it. I'm going to get over stage fright too:lachen:. What is keratin shampoo? I'm also working on a forum type setting, so ladies can post themselves in the challenge. any ideas let me know

Oh, hon you do great with your videos, I love them!:yep: The shampoo I used was the Naked Naturals Citrus and Keratin shampoo that I added grapeseed oil to (thanks to Aggie for the suggestion:drunk:).

As for the forum format, does your web host allow for forums? I see your web host is Joomla, am I right? If so, go to joomla.org. I see that they have add-ons for forums (click on extensions link), that you might be able to implement with your site. Usually web hosts have some kind of extension for forums to add to your website. My college major is Computer Information Systems, but I'm still at the beginning of the learning process, but I'll try to help how I can. I'll also see if my professor has some answers about it. HTH

Oh, hon you do great with your videos, I love them!:yep: The shampoo I used was the Naked Naturals Citrus and Keratin shampoo that I added grapeseed oil to (thanks to Aggie for the suggestion:drunk:).

As for the forum format, does your web host allow for forums? I see your web host is Joomla, am I right? If so, go to joomla.org. I see that they have add-ons for forums (click on extensions link), that you might be able to implement with your site. Usually web hosts have some kind of extension for forums to add to your website. My college major is Computer Information Systems, but I'm still at the beginning of the learning process, but I'll try to help how I can. I'll also see if my professor has some answers about it. HTH
Ok thanks I'm new at this too! I'll check joomla.org maybe I can figure out how to remove their logo while I'm at it:yep::yep:. Good idea I have grapeseed oil I need to use up. I can add to shampoos! Yes

Washed with vo5 and conditioned with my mix. Airdried and moisturised with wave nuevo and then olive oil on top. waiting for it to dry. will take pics. I'm noticing I'm not moisturizing that much. Last wash day I moisurized with wave nuevo. I didn't use moisture product inbetween. Just thought I let my hair get a little wet in shower. hmmm I wonder is that the reason why I don't need product. just thinking out loud

Washed with vo5 and conditioned with my mix. Airdried and moisturised with wave nuevo and then olive oil on top. waiting for it to dry. will take pics. I'm noticing I'm not moisturizing that much. Last wash day I moisurized with wave nuevo. I didn't use moisture product inbetween. Just thought I let my hair get a little wet in shower. hmmm I wonder is that the reason why I don't need product. just thinking out loud

Perhaps you have Achieved Optimum Healthy Hair Status, where the use of "product" can become less and less as you acheive total and complete Hair Health and you do not have to "rely" on product to achieve what you hair, scalp is achieving for you because it is in good health. I can't wait to get there !

Just also thinking out loud:look:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back