PROTEIN IS MY FRIEND

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning I did a protein treatment with eggs. I mixed one egg with a cheap moisturizing conditioner and some olive oil. I need two eggs next time and more conditioner I think. Applied the mixture to my NG and to my permed hair, covered with a plastic cap for 20 mins. and rinsed. I let air dry. My hair feels so strong, it is unbelievable and the thickness is amazing. Protein treatments are here to stay!!

This is great news! Last night, I mixed one egg with my Lanza deep conditioner and it was just wonderful. This will be a weekly regimen staple for me.

My verdict on the Naked Naturals Citrus and Keratin shampoo and condish:

Shampoo: Lathered much more than I expected. In spite of not having sulfates, left my hair feeling dry. May work better if hair is well oiled or oily. I give this product a thumbs down.

Condish: Totally opposite of the shampoo. Very thick and creamy, I left it on for 3 minutes, then rinsed. Gave my hair amazing slip. Smells good, too:lick:. Definitely thumbs up.

My hair did feel strong with this product. Strange thing is, my hair dried completely straight, it didn't wave up at the ends like it usually does:perplexed. Hair was so soft I almost forgot to put moisturizer on. Hair is hanging well and is very soft and tangle free. No breakage so far.

I give the shampoo a 2 and the condish a 10:yep:

*I will repost this in the LHCF blog.

You know I'm beginning to think this is the same with most natural sulfate free poos because they lack cones. I also believe though that their accompanying conditioners work well with them because they are formulated to bring the hair back in balance after washing with the poos. Just an observation...It may not be the case though. I think the next time I use a sulfate free poo, I will add some natural oil to the poo before putting it on my hair and see what happens:yep:.

Last edited:
Dc'd last night with AOGPB, wheat protein, and cocasta & shikakai oil. 1 hr with the home steam method and 1 hr without.

ETA: Ayurvedic powders were mixed in also.

Last edited:
You know I'm beginning to think this is the same with most natural sulfate free poos because they lack cones. I also believe thought that their accompanying conditioners work well with them because they are formulated to bring the hair back in balance after washing with the poos. Just an observation...It may not be the case though. I think the next time I use a sulfate free poo, I will add some natural oil to the poo before putting it on my hair and see what happens:yep:.

I didn't think to add oil to the shampoo...I'll try that next time I use it. The only sulfate free cleanser that works for me so far is the Hair One. Thanks for the idea, Aggie:drunk:

DCing overnight on dry hair with a mixture of Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and Infusium 23 Conditioner on dirty hair:grin:. I am way too lazy tonight, just took my cornrows down too, I know, I know, I should know better than this, but taking down those cornrows wiped me out man:nono:.

DCing overnight on dry hair with a mixture of Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and Infusium 23 Conditioner on dirty hair:grin:. I am way too lazy tonight, just took my cornrows down too, I know, I know, I should know better than this, but taking down those cornrows wiped me out man:nono:.
At least you got somewhat of a break by having cornrows in!

I relaxed on Monday and I have learned a lesson. Stretching beyond ten weeks is a non-no for my hair and my sanity. The textures just will not peacefully co-exist, I get the worst breakage with stretching, no matter how balanced I am or how gentle I am with manipulation.

I relaxed with Silk elements, my staple relaxer, no burns, and straight but not bone straight results. I washed out the relaxer and put in some Roux PC and and cheapie moisturizing conditioner while I showered. Ineutralized and neutralized again for about ten minutes, then DC'ed with and ORS Pack for about 3 hours. My hair was unbelievable while wet, thick and strong, I couldn't stop playing in it! I let it air dry in a banana clip because I was too lazy to rollerset it. Since my layers are finally growing out, I thought I would finally attempt a Bantu Knot set, it came out awesome! I took pics on my phone, but I have to figure out how to upload them on here.

I have found my summer style! I keep them fresh by doing the knots over every evening with some NTM Leave-In and sealing with a bit of Coocnut oil. Tomorrow is "hair goop" day (henna) as my SO calls it, so I'll update again then!

I relaxed on Monday and I have learned a lesson. Stretching beyond ten weeks is a non-no for my hair and my sanity. The textures just will not peacefully co-exist, I get the worst breakage with stretching, no matter how balanced I am or how gentle I am with manipulation.

I relaxed with Silk elements, my staple relaxer, no burns, and straight but not bone straight results. I washed out the relaxer and put in some Roux PC and and cheapie moisturizing conditioner while I showered. Ineutralized and neutralized again for about ten minutes, then DC'ed with and ORS Pack for about 3 hours. My hair was unbelievable while wet, thick and strong, I couldn't stop playing in it! I let it air dry in a banana clip because I was too lazy to rollerset it. Since my layers are finally growing out, I thought I would finally attempt a Bantu Knot set, it came out awesome! I took pics on my phone, but I have to figure out how to upload them on here.

I have found my summer style! I keep them fresh by doing the knots over every evening with some NTM Leave-In and sealing with a bit of Coocnut oil. Tomorrow is "hair goop" day (henna) as my SO calls it, so I'll update again then!
I'm excited for you! Thats what I'm talking about thick and strong while wet. You got it going on! Keep that regimine up :yep::yep::yep:

I think I'll do a light protein treatment this weekend. I loved the results i had with the egg treatment though. It's a toss up b/n another egg treatment and Motions CPR.

Please count me in. I just figured out my hair loves protein as well. I always kept up on my moisture, DC'd and use protein sparingly in fear of over load. I got a relaxer and corrective last week, upped my protein and my hair hasn't stop thanking me since. It feels like silk. Whereas before my hair would feel moist for a ittle while then the ends would start to feel dry no matter how much I moisturized. My hair just seems to stay moisturized now including my ends.

WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN YOU USE?

Yesterday I used Nexxus Emergence. It was my first time using it. I washed first with the generic Aloe Rid clarifying shampoo to get rid of any product build up. Then I applied the Emergence to my hair. It felt silky coming out of the bottle and was very easy to apply to my hair unlike the Aphogee 2 step yuck. I sat under the dryer without a plastic cap until my hair was dry. I think I applied too much, but oh well. Then I hopped back in the shower and rinsed. OMG, I was in heaven:bouncegre. My hair was like spun silk. It was so soft, and strong. I didn't feel like I needed to use a moisturizing conditioner at all but I did. I DC'd with Lustrasilk Olive oil Cholesterol (not a big fan; I ran out of my Shea/Mango), Salon Care Honey Almond, and Back To Basics Honey Hydrating Conditioner. I sat there for an hour with my heat cap on. Then rinsed and detangled. OMG, my hair was wonderful:bouncegre. It was soft, strong, and I only shed like 2 hairs. I put in my leave ins: Giovanni Direct and Yes to Cucumbers. Sealed with EVCO and Castor oil and dryed with my blow dryer on the cool setting. My hair dryed so soft, smooth, and silky. My hair is not relaxed 100% straight either. I am sold on protein. It seems like it helps my hair to retain its moisture and smoothness.

HOW YOUR HAIR FEEL ON A SCALE FROM 1-10?

Definately 10, it can't get no better than this. The only thing that would make it better was if I was at my goal length.:grin:

WHAT CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO ACHIEVE A 10?
None, I already achieved my 10. I will continue to use the Emergence every few weeks; maybe every 4 weeks. I don't want to over do it. I will DC with Keraphix weekly. That stuff is great as well. Co-wash 3 times a week with Salon Care Honey Almond and Back to Basics Honey Hydrating Conditioner (now discontinued):cry2:.

FYI:

Run don't walk to get the Salon Care Honey Almond Conditioner. You can get it at Sallys for $7.99 for a gallon. This stuff is great for co-washing. It has a little protein in it but it is very moisturizing. My hair did okay with the V05 but this stuff is better IMO. It is thicker and makes my hair feel so silky. My hair needs a little shot of protein with its moisture in order to stay healthy. If not it will start to feel dry and break no matter how much I moisturize.

I henna'ed my jair overnight and I did a 5 minute MT treatment in the shower. Now I'm DCing with 6 conditioners all mixed up together - a little each of AO HSR, Mizani Moisturefuse, Mizani Thermasmooth, Pantene R/N Hair conditioning mask, Salerm 21 Wheat germ mask, and a smidgeon of Tresemme Remoisturize with B5 conditioner all mixed up with epsom salt.

I heated up the epsom salt and tresemme in the microwave for 30 seconds then mixed in the other conditioners and saturated my hair with it. I did this yesterday and it made my new growth very very soft so I thought I'd repeat it today. I will DC for the rest of the day because of the henna treatment I did this morning.

Please count me in. I just figured out my hair loves protein as well. I always kept up on my moisture, DC'd and use protein sparingly in fear of over load. I got a relaxer and corrective last week, upped my protein and my hair hasn't stop thanking me since. It feels like silk. Whereas before my hair would feel moist for a ittle while then the ends would start to feel dry no matter how much I moisturized. My hair just seems to stay moisturized now including my ends.

Yesterday I used Nexxus Emergence. It was my first time using it. I washed first with the generic Aloe Rid clarifying shampoo to get rid of any product build up. Then I applied the Emergence to my hair. It felt silky coming out of the bottle and was very easy to apply to my hair unlike the Aphogee 2 step yuck. I sat under the dryer without a plastic cap until my hair was dry. I think I applied too much, but oh well. Then I hopped back in the shower and rinsed. OMG, I was in heaven:bouncegre. My hair was like spun silk. It was so soft, and strong. I didn't feel like I needed to use a moisturizing conditioner at all but I did. I DC'd with Lustrasilk Olive oil Cholesterol (not a big fan; I ran out of my Shea/Mango), Salon Care Honey Almond, and Back To Basics Honey Hydrating Conditioner. I sat there for an hour with my heat cap on. Then rinsed and detangled. OMG, my hair was wonderful:bouncegre. It was soft, strong, and I only shed like 2 hairs. I put in my leave ins: Giovanni Direct and Yes to Cucumbers. Sealed with EVCO and Castor oil and dryed with my blow dryer on the cool setting. My hair dryed so soft, smooth, and silky. My hair is not relaxed 100% straight either. I am sold on protein. It seems like it helps my hair to retain its moisture and smoothness.

Definately 10, it can't get no better than this. The only thing that would make it better was if I was at my goal length.:grin:

None, I already achieved my 10. I will continue to use the Emergence every few weeks; maybe every 4 weeks. I don't want to over do it. I will DC with Keraphix weekly. That stuff is great as well. Co-wash 3 times a week with Salon Care Honey Almond and Back to Basics Honey Hydrating Conditioner (now discontinued):cry2:.

FYI:

Run don't walk to get the Salon Care Honey Almond Conditioner. You can get it at Sallys for $7.99 for a gallon. This stuff is great for co-washing. It has a little protein in it but it is very moisturizing. My hair did okay with the V05 but this stuff is better IMO. It is thicker and makes my hair feel so silky. My hair needs a little shot of protein with its moisture in order to stay healthy. If not it will start to feel dry and break no matter how much I moisturize.

Congrats on finding success Kellum:grin: Feels good to get a 10, doesn't it? I was surprised to find out that protein helps the hair to stay moisturized, but I'm glad I found out:yep: Welcome to wonderful, healthy hair!

I henna'ed my jair overnight and I did a 5 minute MT treatment in the shower. Now I'm DCing with 6 conditioners all mixed up together - a little each of AO HSR, Mizani Moisturefuse, Mizani Thermasmooth, Pantene R/N Hair conditioning mask, Salerm 21 Wheat germ mask, and a smidgeon of Tresemme Remoisturize with B5 conditioner all mixed up with epsom salt.

I heated up the epsom salt and tresemme in the microwave for 30 seconds then mixed in the other conditioners and saturated my hair with it. I did this yesterday and it made my new growth very very soft so I thought I'd repeat it today. I will DC for the rest of the day because of the henna treatment I did this morning.

My goodness, Aggie, you have fantastic ideas:drunk: no wonder you have such magnificent hair. The salt helps with moisturizing, right?

My goodness, Aggie, you have fantastic ideas:drunk: no wonder you have such magnificent hair. The salt helps with moisturizing, right?

Thank you NW. Yes the epsom salt really helps with moisturizing and it softened my thick new growth like you wouldn't believe and it's cheap too, so I will using it often:yep:.

OMG! I will NEVER stray from Joico. I used the complete product line today and my hair is a 20+++++

I applied Vatika to my hair and slept with it in overnight. This morning I applied my henna mix and sat under the steamer for an hour. Rinsed with cheapie conditioners and then brought out the big guns:

I washed with Joico Moisture Recovery shampoo, used the Joico Moisture Recovery conditioning balm for coarse/thick hair, rinsed, then (for the first time) used the cuticle sealer (THE BOMB!!!!), rinsed.

I then sprayed my hair with SAA and applied the Joico split end mender and NTM and sealed with Hairveda.

Only 5 hairs came out. I LOVE JOICO!!!!!!

I will use up all of the other conditioners in my henna mixes. I have got to get rid of my Aphogee, Duotex and Keracare.

Now to get better with my braid outs .....

Last edited:
FYI:

I have this in my Sally's wish list and can't wait to purchase it. Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience with it.

OMG! I will NEVER stray from Joico. I used the complete product line today and my hair is a 20+++++

I applied Vatika to my hair and slept with it in overnight. This morning I applied my henna mix and sat under the steamer for an hour. Rinsed with cheapie conditioners and then brought out the big guns:

I washed with Joico Moisture Recovery shampoo, used the Joico Moisture Recovery conditioning balm for coarse/thick hair, rinsed, then (for the first time) used the cuticle sealer (THE BOMB!!!!), rinsed.

I then sprayed my hair with SAA and applied the Joico split end mender and NTM and sealed with Hairveda.

Only 5 hairs came out. I LOVE JOICO!!!!!!

I will use up all of the other conditioners in my henna mixes. I have got to get rid of my Aphogee, Duotex and Keracare.

Now to get better with my braid outs .....
taz, your hair is looking mighty fantabulicous in your siggy:yep:.

I dc'd with a mix of ayurvedic powders, greek yogurt, and cocasta & shikakai oil. 2 hours with out heat, 1 hour with heat. Hair feels STRONG!

Just checkin' in - DC on dry hair with AO GPB/HSR -shampooed with Kenra MS and followed up with Paul Mitchell Extra Body Rinse - rollerset with Phytospecific Integral Leave In

side note - Earlier this week -shampooed / used Emergencee / rinsed and followed up with Humectress -rollerset with Lacio Lacio

I don't think I've checked in since this challenge started even though I do use protein weekly.

Today, I gave myself a towel steam treatment with Alter Ego (after washing with JASON natural Biotin Shampoo), then I sprayed Aphogee Green Tea Restructerizer, Applied Silicon Mix leave-in & some CSI. My hair sopped up the protein!!!! My flat-iron came out great and I got lots of compliments.

I didn't join this challenge but I'll answer the questions anyway.

Weekly: Deep Condition with Ultra Black Hair Conditioner-I ran out so last week so I used a hot oil treatment by New Era 2000 that contained hydrolyzed collagen. Loved it and will use it again. Leave-in conditioner (Kenra Daily Provision) has silk protein.

Every six weeks or whenever needed: Aphogee Two-Step Treatment...been using it for years. I was leery about the formula changing but I like the new formula better (works best with clear gloss/colourshine treatment).

I think my hair was the healthiest two years ago...I was using mango butter (whipped with oils/sodium lactate) and baggying...but I also used mild protein (deep conditioned mostly...used Aphogee as needed {which wasn't often}). I need to get more mango butter and stop using commercial moisturizing products that contain water as the first ingredient. :look: If I must use anything water-based on my hair, it must be in a spray bottle (spring water) with equal parts Braid Spray (African Royale BRX). I used that to mist my hair (mostly the roots) as needed and then applied the mango butter concoction the length/ends.

FYI:

Its so good to hear about your:yep::yep: good fortune using PROTEIN. We not sleeping on protein here. We using it to our advantage. You have seen the difference I can see. We all came here together and all have similar goals. We growing our hair and the breakage have to go cause we using protein to make it stronger than it was. We not scared of protein anymore. We know how to balance it out. The end results is stronger hair! I'm glad you joining us. Thanks for the product reviews

Hmmm you got skills. mixing epson salt and tresemme. sound like a good mix of moisture to me!:yep::yep:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back