Protective Style BROKE OFF MY HAIR!!!!!

What is the best protectives style for healthy ends?

• bun

Votes: 235 59.9%
  • weave

Votes: 91 23.2%
  • no style

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • braid out

Votes: 36 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AgapeQueen

I am so upset!! i called myself doing no heat no weave challenge on my own (because I am the quuen of weave) by bunning for three months:wallbash: and my hair broke off!!!!:nono: My hair went to choppy!!! Did I do something wrong?

Someone please help!!!! I want my hair back...it was just starting to grow. I went from past collar bone to neck! ahhhhh!!!

Now I am sooo tempted to get a weave or cut it off like I do every year!

How did you style your bun? Did you make a ponytail with your hair? If so, two things may have happened: 1) if your ponytail was too tight, then your hair might break off especially if you placed your ponytail in the same spot and 2) if you folded your ends without moisturizing them, that may have also caused them to break.

You will get through this! We all have setbacks at some point.

Last edited:
I did you style your bun? Did you make a ponytail with your hair? If so, things may have happened: 1) if your ponytail was too tight, then your hair might break off especially if you placed your ponytail in the same spot and 2) if you folded your ends without moisturizing them, they may have also caused them to break.

You will get through this! We all have setbacks at some point.

Thank you ...Need I say no more...I did everything you just mentioned:nono::wallbash:.... i guess I learned my lesson... one good thing i'm glad this happened early in my journey.

What is the proper way to bun and what products should I use to moisterize? I have yet to find a good one that does not dry my hair.

This happened to me as well when I stopped doing the weaves and bunning...but it seems like there could be more to the story.

It really depends on the condition of your hair after you took the weave out and how much were you manipulating it.

BY having constant access to my hair, I played with it more and had my hands in it. Not to mention that the last four inches of my hair were very overprocessed (the oldest parts of my hair) from being permed every four weeks when I didn't know what I was doing.

The end result?

broken off hair. See first pic in siggy. I went back to my weaves (see last pic in siggy)

This happened to me as well when I stopped doing the weaves and bunning...but it seems like there could be more to the story.

It really depends on the condition of your hair after you took the weave out and how much were you manipulating it.

BY having constant access to my hair, I played with it more and had my hands in it. Not to mention that the last four inches of my hair were very overprocessed (the oldest parts of my hair) from being permed every four weeks when I didn't know what I was doing.

The end result?

broken off hair. See first pic in siggy. I went back to my weaves (see last pic in siggy)

there is not anything else to the story. My have was in better condition three months ago when I took my weave out then it is now. I have not had a perm in a year... yo no se'?:perplexed

I recently bought some oct and mt. Hopefully this will help my hair...

I don't know what to do with my hair... It's too thin for braid outs, now bunning is not good for me, and heat everyday is definitely a huge NO NO!!! Any suggestions? I'm all natural, I think with 4a hair type?

???

I think we may have the same hair type. Everything seems to break my hair off. it's very thin but dense. I Jan. I discovered an inch of my hair had just disappeared within 8 days. And I had it braided up. What I decided to do was cut and inch off and braid it back up. Currently I am on a mission to leave it alone for a year. So I have been doing cornrows and crochet weaves. So far so good, nothing has disappeared and I am noticing my hair is growing back.

Don't give up. Our kind of hair needs to be babied more than other types. Until it all falls out and lays on the ground and declares it gives up. I believe I can get it to at least APL. I will believe in BSL once I get to APL.

hang in there
A setback is setup for a comeback you know:grin::yep:

I don't know what to do with my hair... It's too thin for braid outs, now bunning is not good for me, and heat everyday is definitely a huge NO NO!!! Any suggestions? I'm all natural, I think with 4a hair type?

???

I am so upset!! i called myself doing no heat no weave challenge on my own (because I am the quuen of weave) by bunning for three months:wallbash: and my hair broke off!!!!:nono: My hair went to choppy!!! Did I do something wrong?

Someone please help!!!! I want my hair back...it was just starting to grow. I went from past collar bone to neck! ahhhhh!!!

Now I am sooo tempted to get a weave or cut it off like I do every year!

Probably have it too tight.

I love them but I think that braidouts are the worst styles for your ends. Not just some of your ends are exposed as when your hair is straight and down but ALL of your ends are exposed.

???

I'm natural 4a too. Bunning isn't for everyone. You have to do what works for you.
You could actually use weaves as a protective style. You did mention that you had success with this earlier so why change it up. You may also want to put it in a braid style, anything to leave it alone for a significant amount of style. Or try a technique like this www.growafrohairlong.com
many have adored it.

or also someone I introduced the ladies here to this past fall in this thread longhairdon'tcare2011
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=395730&highlight=
[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']
[/FONT]
this is the direct video2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wFWeUg4r8

I believe blackhairmasterpiece dedicated a thread to her earlier this year following some of her techniques that you may want to check out. I'm not sure if they have a challenge going on . I'll have to look that up.

But you can see here how staying braided up is worth it.

I hit mbl last year, been cutting out layers slowly, and in big chunks here and there, this past year, and have been utilizing braiding techniques without weave to help for a fast grow out. I posted longhairdon't care because I got the blow drying addition from her. Something I wasn't doing before but as my hair gets to longer lengths, I wanted other options to eradicate single strand knots (and cut styling time), though I haven't really blow dried often. But I can tell you I grew it out with jut braids alone. Simple and true.

I had so many layers to get out long and and a really short piece at the top that I had to grow out from a stylist. Went to a hair stylist who used a hot comb too hot and seared my hair in the middle top of my head. I saw the piece break, and she quickly tried to smooth it in. But It was like what the?!!! Naw! We need to talk Give me a mirror. I need to see the damage you did. That's why I usually do my own hair ( only trusted one other stylist and she's in California)..Get this Lady, she had the nerve to tell me that's what I get for moving!:blush: I didn't move then but I sure did after she burnt m hair and tried to turn it on me. Fighting words! I promptly got up and left without paying. Lord it took all my will power not to KILL her) Had to chop that and grow it out too. My goal is to get them out fast and then move on to wsl. Luckily, though I have fine strand, I have dense hair. I have so many strands that my hair appears to be thick and that chunk, it could blend in. But I want my hair all one length (or maybe a couple longer layers but that's it) .

But braiding is the way I've grown it in the past and it is no joke if you work it!:grin

Last edited:
I chose weaves although i wear wigs and half wigs that i custom make myself. When I wore sew-ins my hair broke off because i negelected it underneath I find wigs are the most convienent because I still can rock fly styles but have access to my hair so I can properly take care of it.

You should try wigs. If you dont like the "wiggy" look try custom-making your own wigs so they can look like weaves. I learned alot from youtube with girls doing quickweaves but instead of gluing the hair on my head I glue it on a cap or I buy a net wig cap that wigmakers use to make wigs and glue the hair on that and then sew the hair on the wig cap if that make since. If I sew the hair down on the net wig cap it allow me to wash it and wear it longer.

I voted buns.

It's true that you can bun and end up worse off than when you started, but that's true of almost every protective style, and it's normally due to bad technique.
With bunning, I find that these things worked best for me:

1. Only wearing certain kinds of buns. I notice that many BW around me bun their hair by making a ponytail, wrapping the elastic around twice, and then not pulling the tail all the way through on the last rotation. Or doing something similar, where the ends of the hair are left in a bent position all day. And then they do it everyday, which of course leads to breakage. So wearing bun styles where the ends are tucked away without being placed under stress is best.

2. Keeping hair well moisturized, especially ends.

3. Using hair friendly accessories. Satin covered hair ties, smooth clips, pins, barrettes, headbands and hair sticks are all good. When you use hair accessories with lots of tiny teeth or rough seams often, they can wreck your hair. Especially those headbands with the tiny teeth. At first, they're great because they really reign your hair in, but then you get those horrible little broken hairs all over the hairline.

4. Not pulling too tight and/or never changing the position of the bun. It's important to shift your bun, because wearing it in the same place/ too tight will break off your hair, and can lead to traction alopecia. And shifting the bun adds variety, which makes it easier to stay on the wagon, IMO. You can wear a high one on Monday, and look really cute. And then on Wednesday, you can wear a sleek, low side bun and look sophisticated. What fun.

I'm sorry about your setback, AgapeQueen. But I don't think you should cut your hair. Just figure out how to adjust your technique so that your hair stops breaking, or choose another protective style. Wigs and weaves are nice, low-mani styles. Good luck!

I'm natural 4a too.
You could actually use weaves as a protective style. You did mention that you had success with this earlier so why change it up. You may also want to put it in a braid style, anything to leave it alone for a significant amount of style. Or try a technique like this www.growafrohairlong.com
many have adored it.

or also someone I introduced the ladies here to this past fall in this thread longhairdon'tcare2011
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=395730&highlight=

this is the direct video2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wFWeUg4r8
o
I believe blackhairmasterpiece dedicated a thread to her earlier this year following some of her techniques that you may want to check out. I'm not sure if they have a challenge going on . I'll have to look that up.

But you can see here how staying braided up is worth it.

I hit mbl last year, been cutting out layers slowly, and in big chunks here and there, this past year, and have been utilizing braiding techniques without weave to help for a fast grow out. I posted longhairdon't care because I got the blowdrying addition from her. Something I wasn't doing before but as my hair gets to longer lengths, I wanted other options, though I haven't really blow dried often. But I can tell you I grew it out with jut braids alone. Simple and true.

I had so many layers to get out long and and a really short piece at the top that I had to grow out from a stylist. Went to a hair stylist who used a hot comb too hot and seared my hair in the middle top of my head. I saw the piece break, and she quickly tried to smooth it in. But It was like what the?!!! Naw! We need to talk Give me a mirror. I need to see the damage you did. That's why I usually do my own hair ( only trusted one other stylist and she's in California)..Get this Lady, she had the nerve to tell me that's what I get for moving!:blush: I didn't move then but I sure did after she burnt m hair and tried to turn it on me. Fighting words! I promptly got up and left without paying. Lord it took all my will power not to KILL her) Had to chop that and grow it out too My goal is to get them out fast and then move on to wsl. Luckily though I have fine strand I have dense hair. I have so many strands that it could blend in. But I want my hair all one length (or maybe a couple longer layers butr that it) .

But braiding is the way I've grown it in the past and it is no joke if you work it!:grin

Thank you so much:littleang

I promised my husband that I was not going to wear weave. He is one of those brothers that loves anything but weave lol ...so I want to get some micro city twists....you can view a pic of it at http://www.salontresbelle.com/hair2_a_microtwists.html

Any protective/low manipulation style can be potentially damaging to your ends/hair, and on the flip side of that they can help your hair flourish. I like my buns/updo’s braid/twistouts etc.. no matter what hairstyle I wear I know that in order to keep the hair on my head healthy and to retain the growth that I get, I must be gentle with my hair and treat it with proper care, otherwise a hairstyle is just a hairstyle and it wont help my hair in anyway if I’m rough with it or neglect to care for it in a proper way that will help my hair flourish.

Thank you so much:littleang

I promised my husband that I was not going to wear weave. He is one of those brothers that loves anything but weave lol ...so I want to get some micro city twists....you can view a pic of it at http://www.salontresbelle.com/hair2_a_microtwists.html

These are really cuuute. Hopefully someone will chime in on helping to care for micros, (tips so that you can make sure they're not too tight, etc) as I haven't worn micros. But keeping your hair up and protected is really the best way.:yep:

Forgot to add that though twists (weekly) and other protective styles are good like bunning (daily), I've found that the manipulation will be a killer. Bunning never worked for me either. However, that daily manipulation, may not be what your hair likes. Which is why keeping it up braided (for a month or two), or some type of weave seems ideal to really get it growing. But then the take down really matters with that. Because that's where you can loose all your progress. Do you think you can take down these micros on your own? Like really slow and detangle? A stylist will not be as good to your hair as you can be.

Last edited:
Any protective/low manipulation style can be potentially damaging to your ends/hair, and on the flip side of that they can help your hair flourish. I like my buns/updo’s braid/twistouts etc.. no matter what hairstyle I wear I know that in order to keep the hair on my head healthy and to retain the growth that I get, I must be gentle with my hair and treat it with proper care, otherwise a hairstyle is just a hairstyle and it wont help my hair in anyway if I’m rough with it or neglect to care for it in a proper way that will help my hair flourish.

Thanks...

I know that I need to pay better attention to my hair and find the right products.

Naturals, whats a good moisterizer?

I may have to bite the bullet and start going back to the hair salon...
Coconut oil...

Cantu shea butter leave-in...

Qhemet Biologics has a few people rave about...

S-Curl (yes, that S-Curl) gets a lot of rave around here...

...and regular conditioner. This is my go-to moisturizer. In the summertime, my hair is wet 75-80% of the time with some conditioner in it. I get great growth/retention doing that.

Seriously, just reassess the way you are bunning and give it another go. If it happens again, then you know that is not the PS for you. I tried wigging, but it was way too easy for me to play in my hair, and I was trying to go as close to no-manipulation as possible. I know NOW that braids/twists are my PS of choice.

Sorry to hear about your set back, but you have a lot of good tips in this thread. I've always had success with buns, but again, it's all about bunning technique.

there is not anything else to the story. My have was in better condition three months ago when I took my weave out then it is now. I have not had a perm in a year... yo no se'?:perplexed

I recently bought some oct and mt. Hopefully this will help my hair...

Are you completely natural or transitioning? You said you haven't had a perm in a year, and I know when I BC'd after a year my hair couldn't fit into a bun (and my hair grows fast). This leads me to believe that you may still have some relaxed/texlaxed hair left and if so bunning like that would wreak havoc on your hair. The tension of bunning so much would be too much for the weak demarcation line of where natural hair and the chemically processed hair meet.

Hi OP,
Sorry to hear about your set back. Sometimes when we wear our hair in protective styles be it buns, braids, weaves or whatever we can often get a false sense of security because it's like "out of sight, out of mind" right?

Well that can be very dangerous to our hair. Even though the hair is not being manipulated everyday we still have to make sure that the hair is properly conditioned and moisturized. How often were you washing and conditioning, how often did you deep condition, what about protein treatments?

A good regimine to follow for someone just starting their hair journey would be to "Pre-poo with a good quality protein conditioner, shampoo hair, then deep condition with a good quality moisturizing conditioner once a week. I recommend doing this even though you're bunning everyday. This is what's going to set your foundation for healthy hair. Moisturizers and oils are fine, but it's the protein and moisture balance that you really need.

hey OP,

I am so sorry to hear about your set back and i Know that something like this can really make you want to give up. but dont. i found that when i was dry bunning my hair broke of all the time. And most of the time i had to tie the bun extra tight because it had to look presentable for me to go out.Try wet bunning and make sure you have a good protien and moisture balance. I am sure that you will see a big difference.

Naturals, whats a good moisterizer?

I may have to bite the bullet and start going back to the hair salon...

I've been using Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 as a moisturizer for wet bunning on advice from Tiffers' tutorial. I start with wet hair frest out of the shower. I apply extra moisturizer and spritz extra water on the ponytail hair before tucking away in a scrunchie for the day. My ponytail has gone from barely peeking out of my fist to a little curved bunnytail (about 1-1/2 to 2 inches) since December. Hawaiian Silky's thick consistency also helps flatten/smooth my new growth so I can bun longer into a relaxer stretch. If you decide to give bunning another try, I hope wet bunning with this product helps! Good luck!

Kim

when i bun i always use these on very moisturized hair. and my hair never breaks off, this is how i got to WL. i have one in my hair at this very moment. i love these cheapy clips

Back