Protective Style BROKE OFF MY HAIR!!!!!

What is the best protectives style for healthy ends?

• bun

Votes: 235 59.9%
  • weave

Votes: 91 23.2%
  • no style

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • braid out

Votes: 36 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This thread is scaring me! I bun exactly the way described (pulled out of elastic twice and tucked in on the third) I co-wash every time I do this, keeping moisture/protein balance in mind with different conditioners. I have retained length and also evened out the left side of my hair, which was always shorter than the right when I used heat regularly. I have the results in my siggy. I do straighten every month just to see progress and get a break from bunning. Should I be doing something differently? Is there anyone who started out great at first, and then went downhill with progress? Thanks!

What is the "Natural Hair Growth Thread Treatment" they offer?!^^^^^

The site says:

Natural Hair Growth Thread Treatment - $125
Application - 2 Hrs
Lasting Time - 2 wks

Specialized authentic African thread remedy that unbelievably produces growth and softness of natural hair with no products at all. It is a health and growth solution for breaking, damaged or sensitive hair. And is also ideal for those who simply want to experience a rapid hair growth.

But what is it? A weave? A treatment? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

From the somewhat vague description, it sounds like it could be hair threading. It's what many African women do to stretch their hair and it's used as a protective style too. My mother used to do it as a child/teen a lot and her hair was a little past BSL. Her reggie (wash, castor oil, braid/PS) was a damn sight more simple than a lot here, including mine! There are some threads on it here. But here's a YT vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxSWPv2l5c8

Anyway, OP my answer is none of the above to the poll. I've used braids for pretty much the duration of my time natural when ever I've wanted to protective style. It hasn't always come without problems but sometimes what happens is down to your own maintenance. Using braids, I went from about a 2" BC to APL in just under 2 years (6 month transition not included). When my hair got long enough to make a nice bun, I switched to doing that. However, I noticed I was putting in 5x more work for less retention. I was retaining but just not as much if my hair had been in braids. I think my hair was more exposed to the elements and handling my hair directly each day was not good.

So after about a year of not wearing braids, I decided to go back to my former regimen. The key is just to make sure the braider doesn't knot the fake hair over real hair, doesn't braid too tight or small. Also keep the scalp clean and DC every few weeks. If any areas have obvious build up, I take down the braid(s), remove the build up and re-do the braid. I'm going to keep this up until next March (with a few short breaks here and there) if I can. I think a few more inches and my hair will be too long to use fake hair.

Last edited:
I am only shoulder length and since I don't like the bun look on me yet, I do two big french braids on either side and then pin up the ends. I have noticed less breakage than other styles I have tried and better moisture retention. HTH

Hi OP,
Not pulling too tight and/or never changing the position of the bun. It's important to shift your bun, because wearing it in the same place/ too tight will break off your hair, and can lead to traction alopecia. And shifting the bun adds variety, which makes it easier to stay on the wagon, IMO. You can wear a high one on Monday, and look really cute. And then on Wednesday, you can wear a sleek, low side bun and look sophisticated. What fun.
I know we should shift the bun to different positions on the head. I don't use elastics, I simply wrap my hair around itself and pin. Should I alternate the direction of my wrap. Typically, I wrap it clockwise b/c I'm right handed. Normally I do a loose wrap on my hair so it's not tight but sometimes I wrapt it tight to create a bun look.

I am only shoulder length and since I don't like the bun look on me yet, I do two big french braids on either side and then pin up the ends. I have noticed less breakage than other styles I have tried and better moisture retention. HTH
same here. also my ends looks thinner because im stretching. lately i've been doing braid-outs or pin curls to create waves that way when i do an up-do or bun my ends seem to have more volume. its usually a messy kind of look.

i like the southern tease bun. There isn't much pulling on the hair and the ends are protected.

same here. also my ends looks thinner because im stretching. lately i've been doing braid-outs or pin curls to create waves that way when i do an up-do or bun my ends seem to have more volume. its usually a messy kind of look.
Why does stretching make the ends seem thinner? How many weeks are you trying to stretch too?

i like the southern tease bun. There isn't much pulling on the hair and the ends are protected.
What type of clip are you using to pin your bun?

Maybe you can try the goody spin pins? I put my hair in a loose ponytail and make a big twist. I twist it around the ponytail and stick the spin pin where the end is.

when i bun i always use these on very moisturized hair. and my hair never breaks off, this is how i got to WL. i have one in my hair at this very moment. i love these cheapy clips

I use banana clips too. It doesn't look as elegant but I've never had an issue with breakage. Also, the issue may not be the bunning. It may be how you are handling it once you are finished. Before I knew how to handle my hair, I didn't take the time to properly detangle and had damage that could have been avoided with the proper leave in conditioner and comb. The Ouidad comb and Ojon revitalizing mist are staples for me. Both can found at Sephora.

I'm so greatful for this thread! I really want to retain length and get past shoulder length. Since I love wearing my hair down I'm trying to add more protective styles in my daily hair care. Idk.. i've been doing braid outs, bantu knot outs and i wanted to add buns... we'll see!

Sorry that this happened to you... :ohwell:

But bunning definitely worked for me in retaining ends.. I wear my bun in the same spot everyday, I just take down the loose hair to moisturize or rebun when bun look old... I also wash and deep condition every Sunday then mold hair to dry then bun...:yep:

I am so upset!! i called myself doing no heat no weave challenge on my own (because I am the quuen of weave) by bunning for three months:wallbash: and my hair broke off!!!!:nono: My hair went to choppy!!! Did I do something wrong?

Someone please help!!!! I want my hair back...it was just starting to grow. I went from past collar bone to neck! ahhhhh!!!

Now I am sooo tempted to get a weave or cut it off like I do every year!

I would get a weave and stick to the regimen that got you to where you were! Weaves are a protective style and they made my hair grow to BSL from APL!!! I am getting my weave put back in September and I am adding deep conditioning once a week because at first I didnt do this with the weave I just cleaned it once a week. My sis gave me an idea to put my conditioner in a applicator bottle and squezze it in my braids, then I am going to sit under a hood dryer for 20 mins and wash out.... I know my hair will grow faster this way.

The wet bun was good after I go the hang of it, but I say, what if you never do and then someones hair continues to break!? I say do the weave thing!

But for advice, I found out my prob was I wore it too tight, and I used stuff my hair didnt agree with.... Like Hawiaan 14-in-1. Also I didnt properly detangle my hair before I washed it.

Now, I use scurl and I am fine and I remember to properly detangle before I wash. I also now use a clarifyer and only cowash, if you also cowash that is.... I do it every three days.

Last edited:
Im noticing that my protective style is not doing my hair any good either. I had a full head weave, with a closure at the top center and when I took it out, my hair was completely broken off where the beautician made the closure :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:. This never happened before, but I don't want to take a chance and it happens again:nono::nono::nono:
Soooooo, I've decided to wear wigs for the remainder of the year and throughout the winter until next spring. By that time, my hair will be healthier and at my goal length, which is shoulder length (I just BC in January).
Due to my lifestyle and me being woman, I can not go without my hair being done, so I'll sew in one weave after the other, knowing that its no good for my hair, but Im having a hard time finding a protective style. I don't want a setback at all, so Im not gonna keep this current install in no longer past the end of September. Im going to spend the next upcoming weeks looking for different wigs because something has got to give. I don't want to compromise the health of my hair, just so it can look cute :nono::nono:
I need to be able to moisturize my hair and scalp properly and I can't do that with a weave. Right now my scalp is on fire and I wanna take out this weave soooo bad but I can't :wallbash:

I love the southern tease bun! I found out that I can not wear the donut bun daily like I used to. It caused my ends to look scraggly and bent from being tucked in and also using scrunchies to keep it secure was too much tension for my ends. Now I use claw clips and other cute little clips when I wear my hair up. I have no stress on my hair at all and my ends are looking so much better from simply changing up my protective styling methods.

I believe that wearing your hair in a bun, or braids or weaves for months on end is just ludicrous. I don't get what is so protelective about it. The stress alone, just wearing it in that monotonous style is too much. Varying your hair styles makes more sense to me. Wear a bun today, two-cornrow style the next, twists the next couple of days etc. . . all while making sure hair is clean, conditioned and moisturized makes more sense to me. Without seeing your hair, it's hard to say exactly what would be beneficial to you and your length of hair. I understand low manipulation but I don't get hiding your hair underneath weaves etc. . . hiding it until when? Until your hair is in better health? That's ony going to happen with love and care inside and out. This whole business about too much manipulation is bad for your hair doesn't seem right, or you can't expose your ends to the environment is wacko. You said that your hair was too thin for braid outs, what about just wearing your natural curls as they are with a bit of styling product for a bit of definition.? Your hair doesn't always have to be up and out of the way all of the time. With a lot of care and consistency and taking care of yourself, your hair will be just fine.

Were you bunning with dap hair and tying it up quite tight?? if so this could be the problem as the hair is ver fragile when it is wet. When I was a newbie this happened to me.

I've recently had to do some "forced protective styling" because of a temporary assignment where I was required to wear buns daily. I thought my hair would flourish but it hasn't. What I learned from the experience is that I still have to give the hair what it needs even when protective styling. Which means I still have to invest quality time into washing the hair and deep conditioning. Even moreso than when I leave the hair down. When I wear my hair out, at least I can apply oil to the length during the day to keep it supple. When my hair is tyed up, I pretty much don't do anything to it, including managing tangles. Now that I adjusted my routine to keep the hair as healthy as possible, both prior to and during the bunning process.

I learned the hard way too! Weaves make my thin hair thinner, buns cause my nape to break :( I never had such a short nape before in my life! it just 1-2inches long, but its growing back so I'm happy. I learnt all this this past year, so I haven't retained any length due to trimming away damage, but I'm hoping that 2011 will just be plain sailing.

what I did was, cut down my frequent washes to just one weekly wash day, and when my hair gets stronger this may change to 10 days or every two weeks! I think the less I do to it the more it flourishes. So afters I wash and treat I just part my hair, smooth it, tie it down and sit under the dryer so that it dries smooth, then I moisturise and seal and pin my ends up. no more buns or weave for me thank you!

when i bun i always use these on very moisturized hair. and my hair never breaks off, this is how i got to WL. i have one in my hair at this very moment. i love these cheapy clips

I rarely use elastic bands but when I do I heavily coat it with coconut oil first. But I prefer hair sticks, claw clips, and goody hair pins.

@Eluv
@AdoraAdora24
(Does the @ thing still work?:perplexed)

How do you secure your hair in a bun (or hiding the ends) without elastics using just clips, sticks, and pins?

Yep, it has happened to me, too. During the summer I wore a bun with a phony attached with a Good Day(?) hair pin. Well, the hair pin was breaking off my hair in the middle of my crown and the front of my hair that was combed back into the bun. Of course, I didn't notice until damage was done.

From there I started wearing a "bun" clipped up with a spring-loaded hair clip, and my hair has broken along my hair line behind my ears, making see-thru ends when hair is combed straight down.
I don't know WTH to do!
:ohwell: :mad:

Last edited:
I'm not sure what happened, but I'm always a little nervous when I hear about bunning setbacks. They seem rather common. Maybe there should be an option for hair sticks.

I am so upset!! i called myself doing no heat no weave challenge on my own (because I am the quuen of weave) by bunning for three months:wallbash: and my hair broke off!!!!:nono: My hair went to choppy!!! Did I do something wrong?

Someone please help!!!! I want my hair back...it was just starting to grow. I went from past collar bone to neck! ahhhhh!!!

Now I am sooo tempted to get a weave or cut it off like I do every year!

Did you do a protein treatment when you took your weave and braids out? I find that a protein treatment followed by moisture really helps because my hair tends to need more strength.

MeechUK

I know it's probably so 90s but I use a claw clip and *loosely* gather my hair into a ponytail twist around, up and tuck the ends in (does that make sense?)

thumb2.php

So that, but with a claw clip. I guess you coud use a Hair Zing too!

I believe that wearing your hair in a bun, or braids or weaves for months on end is just ludicrous. I don't get what is so protelective about it. The stress alone, just wearing it in that monotonous style is too much. Varying your hair styles makes more sense to me. Wear a bun today, two-cornrow style the next, twists the next couple of days etc. . . all while making sure hair is clean, conditioned and moisturized makes more sense to me. Without seeing your hair, it's hard to say exactly what would be beneficial to you and your length of hair. I understand low manipulation but I don't get hiding your hair underneath weaves etc. . . hiding it until when? Until your hair is in better health? That's ony going to happen with love and care inside and out. This whole business about too much manipulation is bad for your hair doesn't seem right, or you can't expose your ends to the environment is wacko. You said that your hair was too thin for braid outs, what about just wearing your natural curls as they are with a bit of styling product for a bit of definition.? Your hair doesn't always have to be up and out of the way all of the time. With a lot of care and consistency and taking care of yourself, your hair will be just fine.
Amen

Back