Protective Style BROKE OFF MY HAIR!!!!!

What is the best protectives style for healthy ends?

• bun

Votes: 235 59.9%
  • weave

Votes: 91 23.2%
  • no style

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • braid out

Votes: 36 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wet bunning with correct moisture/ protein balance. Ends sealed with *gasp* good ole petroleum jelly:mwahahafire: before bunning works best for me otherwise I have trouble at the line of demarcation. My fav PS is a braid-outs. I follow the same steps but then I seal with oils.

:ohwell:
These are really cuuute. Hopefully someone will chime in on helping to care for micros, (tips so that you can make sure they're not too tight, etc) as I haven't worn micros. But keeping your hair up and protected is really the best way.:yep:

Forgot to add that though twists (weekly) and other protective styles are good like bunning (daily), I've found that the manipulation will be a killer. Bunning never worked for me either. However, that daily manipulation, may not be what your hair likes. Which is why keeping it up braided (for a month or two), or some type of weave seems ideal to really get it growing. But then the take down really matters with that. Because that's where you can loose all your progress. Do you think you can take down these micros on your own? Like really slow and detangle? A stylist will not be as good to your hair as you can be.

I tried not to really comb or brush my hair with the bunning...so I guess low manipulation I not good for me :ohwell:
I will have to take them down myself...but a mother of a 2 and 6 month old... I'm not sure if I will have the time... I just need to be patient and let my hair grow. I have to learn the language of it. I have always hid it with, perm, braids, or weave.

Coconut oil...

Cantu shea butter leave-in...

Qhemet Biologics has a few people rave about...

S-Curl (yes, that S-Curl) gets a lot of rave around here...

...and regular conditioner. This is my go-to moisturizer. In the summertime, my hair is wet 75-80% of the time with some conditioner in it. I get great growth/retention doing that.

Seriously, just reassess the way you are bunning and give it another go. If it happens again, then you know that is not the PS for you. I tried wigging, but it was way too easy for me to play in my hair, and I was trying to go as close to no-manipulation as possible. I know NOW that braids/twists are my PS of choice.

Thanks doll.. Cantu shea butter leave-in leaves my hair/ends hard. Should I seal it with coconut oil? I do want to try the S-Curl..I know how good it worked in the late 80's early 90's LOL

Are you completely natural or transitioning? You said you haven't had a perm in a year, and I know when I BC'd after a year my hair couldn't fit into a bun (and my hair grows fast). This leads me to believe that you may still have some relaxed/texlaxed hair left and if so bunning like that would wreak havoc on your hair. The tension of bunning so much would be too much for the weak demarcation line of where natural hair and the chemically processed hair meet.

You have a GREAT point! This could be my issue.... :wallbash:
thanks

I've been using Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 as a moisturizer for wet bunning on advice from Tiffers' tutorial. I start with wet hair frest out of the shower. I apply extra moisturizer and spritz extra water on the ponytail hair before tucking away in a scrunchie for the day. My ponytail has gone from barely peeking out of my fist to a little curved bunnytail (about 1-1/2 to 2 inches) since December. Hawaiian Silky's thick consistency also helps flatten/smooth my new growth so I can bun longer into a relaxer stretch. If you decide to give bunning another try, I hope wet bunning with this product helps! Good luck!

Kim
i have been hearing loads about this HS mosturizer. i may give it a try.

When I relaxed, I found that wet bunning was the best ps for my hair.
There were also many days when I would wear one of those phony buns with the comb attached.
That could be a good alternative. I would suggest maybe wearing one of those for a while.
When I was wearing it, I would oil the comb (as to not cause friction), switch up the placement of the bun some days, and even baggy while wearing it.

One thing that worked wonders for me (instead of putting an elastic pony directly on my hair) I would:

1. Gather my hair as if I was going to put it in a pony tail
2. Moisturize my ends and seal them thoroughly
3. put a plastic sandwich bag over my gathered hair
4. Then place the elastic around the bag. So the elastic bands never touched my hair, and I was able to moisturize my hair during the day.
5. I would then just place the bun over it. You could even use a phony pony. No one would ever know youir hair is in a bag. I used to wear it to work like that.
It was the best. My hair was only neck length at the time so that's a good length to start at.
It did wonders for length retention, and I never experienced breakage.
hth.

Sorry for all of the errors.

Edit to add: If you choose to use this method for an extended period of time, DO keep a eye on your protein/moisture balance. There is a such thing as moisture overload too.

Last edited:
I voted buns.

It's true that you can bun and end up worse off than when you started, but that's true of almost every protective style, and it's normally due to bad technique.
With bunning, I find that these things worked best for me:

1. Only wearing certain kinds of buns. I notice that many BW around me bun their hair by making a ponytail, wrapping the elastic around twice, and then not pulling the tail all the way through on the last rotation. Or doing something similar, where the ends of the hair are left in a bent position all day. And then they do it everyday, which of course leads to breakage. So wearing bun styles where the ends are tucked away without being placed under stress is best.

I used to do this out of laziness but thought it was "protective" as well. Definitely NOT the case. Little broken hairs all over the place. :wallbash: But then I would also do proper sock type/ donut type buns and still see broken hairs. :ohwell: So I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I really need the help because I really can't afford to go to the salon over here. And even though I could grow my hair with twists/plaits/ cornrows my ends are just dry as chips since moving to a colder climate. And they've suffered immensely despite moisturising. Indoor heating is really something.

I would really love to know the proper technique for tucking away the ends especially for natural hair. I'm working really hard to save them especially with my recent setback. What exactly should be done? TIA

To piggyback on Agape, I am transitioning and having similar problem, except it is not my ends; it's my nape. I currently work a dirty job (baking) that requires me to keep my hair up, and at first, I thought that would be a good thing. I wash, and condition my hair at least twice weekly. I then put a braid cylinder on it to protect it from my the inside of my work baseball cap, and to keep it smooth. Once under the stocking I put the covered elastic on the outside of my stocking cylinder, so the band isn't pulling on my naked ends. This way, when I am off I can wear it out smooth (or wavy if I flat twist out), and it is good and detangled. I also moisturize and protect daily.

This was going exceptionally well until I noticed a few weeks ago that my already weak nape was getting weaker and breaking. :wallbash: It sucks so bad!!! Because I have almost 7 mos. of new growth, my relaxed hair already appears significantly thinner. It does not help that my nape is now thin/non existent. I can't even really wear my hair up because of it:nono:. It is tempting me to chop already because I feel so self-conscious.

Any tips? Keep in mind that I am now working 5 nights a week around dust and flour and hot ovens.

Hi OP,
Sorry to hear about your set back. Sometimes when we wear our hair in protective styles be it buns, braids, weaves or whatever we can often get a false sense of security because it's like "out of sight, out of mind" right?

Well that can be very dangerous to our hair. Even though the hair is not being manipulated everyday we still have to make sure that the hair is properly conditioned and moisturized. How often were you washing and conditioning, how often did you deep condition, what about protein treatments?

A good regimine to follow for someone just starting their hair journey would be to "Pre-poo with a good quality protein conditioner, shampoo hair, then deep condition with a good quality moisturizing conditioner once a week. I recommend doing this even though you're bunning everyday. This is what's going to set your foundation for healthy hair. Moisturizers and oils are fine, but it's the protein and moisture balance that you really need.

Thank you, I told myself that I really need to DC every week or maybe even twice a week. I am currenly using MT and OCT. I thonk I need to use only one a month for treatments. I will keep looking for a great moisterizer though.

I also had a set back from bunning. I had almost a straight line of breakage at my nape. I came to two conclusions. I was wet bunning and I wore my bun in the same location. My nape has a mind of it's own and quite picky/fragile. I stopped using scrunchies even though I saturated them with oil, and instead use hard plastic clips similar to the ones posted here. So far so good. I can still bun and protect without the breakage.

Good Luck and don't give up!

i have been wearqing weaves forabout four months (i self install) i spray my hair every other day with moisturizing spray and wash with sufate free poo every two weeks then dilute (both) conditioner i put them in applicator bottles so i can get to my scalp. dont not rub alot just slightly massage or you will mat you hair it has helped me get to bsl from apl FAST

I also have worn micros with no breakage BUT i had to tell my braider not to pull every but of hair from my edges in i held the starting point when she braids so it is not pulling to much while she braids (edges) i believe the braids and how they are done will determine if your hair will break or not (i do not braid my weave base to tight) the net will secure them) and moisture moisture moisture is the key i thins we forget about our own hairs needs when we are in weaves and braids
hth

Thank you so much:littleang

I promised my husband that I was not going to wear weave. He is one of those brothers that loves anything but weave lol ...so I want to get some micro city twists....you can view a pic of it at http://www.salontresbelle.com/hair2_a_microtwists.html

What is the "Natural Hair Growth Thread Treatment" they offer?!^^^^^

The site says:

Natural Hair Growth Thread Treatment - $125
Application - 2 Hrs
Lasting Time - 2 wks

Specialized authentic African thread remedy that unbelievably produces growth and softness of natural hair with no products at all. It is a health and growth solution for breaking, damaged or sensitive hair. And is also ideal for those who simply want to experience a rapid hair growth.

But what is it? A weave? A treatment? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

I don't think bunning is for everyone...my hair doesn't like pins/clips/tie backs and breaks when i use them a lot, so twist-outs and braid outs work best for me. coil-sets are good too, but expensive. i think you have to do what's best for your hair type.

My hair was the longest and healthiest it had ever been before I started pinning my hair up. Before I would make buns with Goodys Ouchless elastics, and those never broke my hair off, but I switch to twisting my hair up with bobby pins because it looked cuter and less matronly. It has taken me a year to get my hair to back to where it was and I have gone back to only using the Goodys elastics. My hair just doesn't respond well to bobby pins, hair clips and toys, etc.

I am so upset!! i called myself doing no heat no weave challenge on my own (because I am the quuen of weave) by bunning for three months:wallbash: and my hair broke off!!!!:nono: My hair went to choppy!!! Did I do something wrong?

Someone please help!!!! I want my hair back...it was just starting to grow. I went from past collar bone to neck! ahhhhh!!!

Now I am sooo tempted to get a weave or cut it off like I do every year!

Bunning just isn't for everyone. I tried that and through trial and error I have found that my hair doesn't thrive when it is constricted like that. I had to get my hair cut and wont be ps in buns any further, unless it just happens to be in the form of a fabulous updo done by my stylist.

Well ladies I have decided to go back to sew-ins for a while....But, I am still considering ANOTHER big chop :0/

I have too many split ends.. I would HATE to grow lovely locks then it all break off AGAIN!

I had the same problem wear my hair broke off in two places in the back. I learned that I needed to stop wearing my bun so close to my nape and loosen up the pony tail holder that was holding my bun. Also I always make sure to dip my pony tail holder in water or olive oil and make sure I moisturize my bun. Also when I feel my bun is too tight I take it out and do it again. And I don't sleep in my bun I take it down at night.

Bunning is dangerous. I never make actual buns. I just clip my hair up with claw clips and alligator clips. Anything that causes tension is bad for hair.

Plus, be careful about putting your hair up when it is wet. For me, wet updos are a no-no. I let my hair air dry until it is a little damp and then I put it up.

Last edited:
I opt not to wear a pony tail holder if I can at all avoid it. For me it's too much stress on the hair for long periods of the day. So all I do is simply twist the hair at the nape and gently wrap the hair round itself then I just pin it into place. I'll then use finishing cream and or serum then put my scarf on to make the hair nice and slick. It's not the most exciting style in the world but it works because I don't really have to manipulate the hair much at all. I'll continue to do this for the next 7/8 weeks until I relax.

i had the same exact issue.

i grew my hair out using weaves as a protective style. i took careful care of the hair underneath and when i do takedowns i found that bunning doesnt work for me. my hair likes protein, not too much moisture. so bunning and mositurizing was a no no for me. baggying doesn't work for me either. luckily when i tried bunning/baggying, my hair got mushy and warned me before it started breaking. so i started weekly mild protein treatments to strengthen and never tried bunning again.

i would suggest doing what works for you. everyone's growth tactics won't work on your head of hair. i learned that the hard way. now when i come out of the weave, like now, i wear half wigs with my hair in two ponytails underneath. i only OIL my ends....no added moisture after wash day. i only moisturize on wash day, the exception is that i do my hairline daily.

i am texlaxed and my hair is real soft. i like Blended Beauty products. i buy them on naturally curly.com web site. i also love Hairveda prods avail on her website

Maybe the breakage was caused by wet bunning? When hair is damp it stretches so the bun may not be tight at all but because it is stretched it can lead to breakage.

I bun my hair by making a single ponytail. I dampen the ponytail with a leave in, seal the ponytail and ends with jelly, and then wrap the hair twice. I brush the ends around the top. Then I take a schrunchie (spelling?) which is soft and secure the bun.

I've learned to avoid wet hair and to only dampen my ponytail. My hair was damaged prior to this. Now I have some shedding but I know my hair is much healthier, breakage is significantly less. Every week it gets better. But whatever works for you is good.

Does anyone know a reference for a delicate bunning technique for fine relaxed hair? I only know of the automatic pulling the hair through a ponytail holder method and leaving the ends bent under, which im starting to think may be damaging my hair.

I have questions, if you dont mind answering

Protective style u wore was ONLY a bun?
Was your bun extremely tight??
Where is the breakage located on your head?
Did you do your daily proper maintenance while bunning? (conditioning, etc)
How often did you comb your hair??
Were you applying any type of tension while bunning??
Has your hair came into contact with cotton?
Do you apply any clamps, bands etc to your hair??

I rarely use elastic bands but when I do I heavily coat it with coconut oil first. But I prefer hair sticks, claw clips, and goody hair pins.

Back