Pressure to Look Good For Your Man

1BalancedBeauty

The relationship I'm in now is the best relationship I've been in... at least in a very long time. I met him this summer. He always makes sure I'm taken care of and supports me in any way he can, from day-to-day life to career.

He's always been complimentary of my (natural) hair, skin tone, physique, eyes, lips, you name it. I'm naturally slim/muscular but do work out on a semi-regular basis. Since he does physical labour, he looks very muscular as well and only works out on a semi-regular basis like me.

I got off work one day and gave him a quick call to say hi. The salon I work at is close to the gym I go to. He asked me if I was going to go to the gym. I was like, "No. Why?" He was like, "It's winter now. You can't be snacking and snacking and staying indoors." I was was silent for a moment. Then he goes, "Hey, I'm just looking out for you." I'm going to label this ordeal incident #1. It wasn't too big a deal because whenever I've been super-stressed, he's encouraged me to go to the gym to feel better.

Incident #2. He had gotten me a dress as an early xmas gift, I guess to wear to a xmas function or two. He called me one morning when I was heading out the door to my Body Pump class. He was REALLY happy to hear I was going to the gym. I remember him saying something like, "For real? That's great! Get your squat on. You're going to look so awesome in that dress." I didn't feel any type of way about his statement.

Flash forward to incident #3. I was showing him some pics on my iPod. I have a few fitness images with quotes that I keep for inspiration. There's a pic of a woman squatting with a heavy barbell and wearing booty shorts. He was like, "Do you think you can look like this?" I said, "I guess so" and changed the subject. That night, I couldn't get to bed because I knew I should have confronted him about how insensitive and superficial he came off. Not only that, but it was a blow to my ego because I thought that I already looked like the image. It had become clear to me that he wasn't even trying to get me to maintain the shape I have, he was trying to get me to change -- as in 'improve' -- it.

I know that if/when I bring it up him, he'll probably apologize and say that he didn't mean to hurt my feelings or make me feel insecure and that I look good the way I am. But, I won't be able to shake the feeling that he probably wishes I looked better.

I don't know if this should be bothering me so much. Today's a gym day for me and I'm worried about stupid ish like not working out enough by xmas to look the way he imagines me in that dress. In fact, not working out enough to show any change at all.

I know the word chauvinistic may be thrown out there. But... does anyone think I"m being oversensitive? Has anyone ever been in a situation like this?

Those comments would make me feel some kind of way too so no you're not being oversensitive. It's good that you're picking up on this tendency now and not overlooking it. It might be time for a heart to heart with him about it. I don't think his behavior is an automatic dealbreaker, but it is definitely something he needs to work on if the relationship is to continue.

Has anyone ever been in a situation like this?

I'm not sure if you're looking for advice, because I have none to give :lol: but yes I've been in a situation like this and I guess it was worse. I had to have my hair done and my body on point at all times. But what got to me is the pressure to dress trendy and to look trendy. I do wear trendy pieces but they are far and few between, my style is more classic. He had a standard set by his mother and sisters that he expected me to uphold. I confronted him about it and asked him how would he have felt if I pressured him about his weight or his clothing choices. Anyway, it didn't change anything. But I did feel extremely pressured and it stressed me out. I was 18/19 and the relationship lasted about 5 years.

I'm not sure if you're looking for advice, because I have none to give :lol: but yes I've been in a situation like this and I guess it was worse. I had to have my hair done and my body on point at all times. But what got to me is the pressure to dress trendy and to look trendy. I do wear trendy pieces but they are far and few between, my style is more classic. He had a standard set by his mother and sisters that he expected me to uphold. I confronted him about it and asked him how would he have felt if I pressured him about his weight or his clothing choices. Anyway, it didn't change anything. But I did feel extremely pressured and it stressed me out. I was 18/19 and the relationship lasted about 5 years.

That could not be me, as I don't even know what trendy is most of the time. LOL. I'm too much of a tomboy. Dreads, minimal makeup and tights with boots almost 90 percent of the time.

I've noticed that men who crush on Beyonce, Kim K, and celebs like that are often about having a woman to match their swag or add to theirs, kind of like arm candy. The pressure must be extreme.

I've noticed that men who crush on Beyonce, Kim K, and celebs like that are often about having a woman to match their swag or add to theirs, kind of like arm candy. The pressure must be extreme.

His celeb crush was Kelly Rowland and that was probably the best thing out of the entire situation :lol:. I had just gotten out of talking to a guy whose standard was "Venezuelan women" (yes those were his words) so this was really refreshing.

Anyway, I was young, dumb and tried my best and we broke up anyway.

I am a little self conscious about my pooch. I started running and I really got into it. My body started changing to the point my bf was telling the difference during sex. He suggested that I stop running, but I felt good running. I don't know if I should compromise. Running feels good but sex does too. Which one burns more calories and is more spiritually satisfying?

My butt is not going anywhere, but he has not known me long enough to know that lol

Last edited:
The relationship I'm in now is the best relationship I've been in... at least in a very long time. I met him this summer. He always makes sure I'm taken care of and supports me in any way he can, from day-to-day life to career.

He's always been complimentary of my (natural) hair, skin tone, physique, eyes, lips, you name it. I'm naturally slim/muscular but do work out on a semi-regular basis. Since he does physical labour, he looks very muscular as well and only works out on a semi-regular basis like me.

I got off work one day and gave him a quick call to say hi. The salon I work at is close to the gym I go to. He asked me if I was going to go to the gym. I was like, "No. Why?" He was like, "It's winter now. You can't be snacking and snacking and staying indoors." I was was silent for a moment. Then he goes, "Hey, I'm just looking out for you." I'm going to label this ordeal incident #1. It wasn't too big a deal because whenever I've been super-stressed, he's encouraged me to go to the gym to feel better.

Incident #2. He had gotten me a dress as an early xmas gift, I guess to wear to a xmas function or two. He called me one morning when I was heading out the door to my Body Pump class. He was REALLY happy to hear I was going to the gym. I remember him saying something like, "For real? That's great! Get your squat on. You're going to look so awesome in that dress." I didn't feel any type of way about his statement.

Flash forward to incident #3. I was showing him some pics on my iPod. I have a few fitness images with quotes that I keep for inspiration. There's a pic of a woman squatting with a heavy barbell and wearing booty shorts. He was like, "Do you think you can look like this?" I said, "I guess so" and changed the subject. That night, I couldn't get to bed because I knew I should have confronted him about how insensitive and superficial he came off. Not only that, but it was a blow to my ego because I thought that I already looked like the image. It had become clear to me that he wasn't even trying to get me to maintain the shape I have, he was trying to get me to change -- as in 'improve' -- it.

I know that if/when I bring it up him, he'll probably apologize and say that he didn't mean to hurt my feelings or make me feel insecure and that I look good the way I am. But, I won't be able to shake the feeling that he probably wishes I looked better.

I don't know if this should be bothering me so much. Today's a gym day for me and I'm worried about stupid ish like not working out enough by xmas to look the way he imagines me in that dress. In fact, not working out enough to show any change at all.

I know the word chauvinistic may be thrown out there. But... does anyone think I"m being oversensitive? Has anyone ever been in a situation like this?

you should want to look good for your man but if the caring is in the relationship he'll go out of his in letting you know he see your trying to please him and understand your point of view.

I am a little self conscious about my pooch. I started running and I really got into it. My body started changing to the point my bf was telling the difference during sex. He suggested that I stop running, but I felt good running. I don't know if I should compromise. Running feels good but sex does too. Which one burns more calories and is more spiritually satisfying?

My butt is not going anywhere, but he has not known me long enough to know that lol

A real man will adore his woman. And if you have been in a long lasting relationship than try to cut back.

Has he been reading askmen? There was an article on askmen abt how to manipulate your gf to lose weight using those tips.

What's his sign, btw? Just curious.

I think its bothering you because you are not speaking up about it. He has made three statements that are making you feel some type of way but you haven't been clear with him that you aren't feeling it. You need to let him know how you are feeling.

Every man may say or do some dumb things but when you address them to him respectfully
a good man will hear your hurt and do what he has to do to address them.

We really don't know why hes is saying this mess or what's behind it. I say you just sit him down and just be honest.

Not saying that you will, but don't get hysterical, angry, or emotional. It just needs to be like hey babe, you know when you asked me if I could look like the big booty lifting girl.Or when you made the snacking comments? Well, It has me concerned that you are unhappy with me the way I am...

Then let him respond and hash it out from there. Staying calm and level headed will help prevent the him trying to make you feel insecure part.

But if he apologizes, is sincere in his explanation, and doesn't make those kinds of comments again then its up to you take him at his word and trust that you are beautiful just the way you are.

PS. I checked your blog you ARE beautiful.

PPS 20 bucks says he probably don't even remember saying it! Men always say random foul ish and keep it moving but we sit and stew and hold on to it forever...LOL PS. You can paypal me my money if I'm right. :look:

Sex is not only physical but emotional. And it is a such thing as over doing it girl. She should try to cut back on exercise just a bit.

We have been here for awhile, and I upped my training from 3x to 5x. I got excited finding new routes and taking pictures during my runs. It became addicting.

He did suggest squats instead, but it will still reposition my heiny. He does not mind the pooch (childbirth six years ago) but I do... I do not want to stay in this shape, which is really my stomach area bothering me.

Hmm I thought this thread was about something else. I have never felt pressure from DH to look good. I have felt pressure from myself to look good for him. He has always been supportive of me with my weight loss and has never made me feel like I had to lose weight. It would make me question the relationship. There's no better feeling than knowing that your man loves you just the way you are and isn't trying to fix you. :yep: Every woman deserves to feel that way!

I think its bothering you because you are not speaking up about it. He has made three statements that are making you feel some type of way but you haven't been clear with him that you aren't feeling it. You need to let him know how you are feeling.

Every man may say or do some dumb things but when you address them to him respectfully
a good man will hear your hurt and do what he has to do to address them.

We really don't know why hes is saying this mess or what's behind it. I say you just sit him down and just be honest.

Not saying that you will, but don't get hysterical, angry, or emotional. It just needs to be like hey babe, you know when you asked me if I could look like the big booty lifting girl.Or when you made the snacking comments? Well, It has me concerned that you are unhappy with me the way I am...

Then let him respond and hash it out from there. Staying calm and level headed will help prevent the him trying to make you feel insecure part.

But if he apologizes, is sincere in his explanation, and doesn't make those kinds of comments again then its up to you take him at his word and trust that you are beautiful just the way you are.

PS. I checked your blog you ARE beautiful.

PPS 20 bucks says he probably don't even remember saying it! Men always say random foul ish and keep it moving but we sit and stew and hold on to it forever...LOL PS. You can paypal me my money if I'm right. :look:

They are good for that ish!

I be giving SO the stare of death...lol
angry-girl-eating-someone.gif

side-eye-gif1.gif

Last edited:
Well, there is one thing I realized about attraction. I LOVE a physically fit man. So it stands to reason that this man would LOVE a physically fit woman also.

I think he's proud and happy that you stay fit but like another poster said, his mouth runneth over. You just need to call him out on some comments and talk to him about how it makes you feel.

Well, there is one thing I realized about attraction. I LOVE a physically fit man. So it stands to reason that this man would LOVE a physically fit woman also.

I think he's proud and happy that you stay fit but like another poster said, his mouth runneth over. You just need to call him out on some comments and talk to him about how it makes you feel.

This may be it. Maybe he is afraid that eventually you become the opposite of the person that he originally met?

sistatv Thanks for the kind words.

This man has no filter, which is one of the things I like about him. I never have to guess what he's thinking, which could be a blessing and a curse. LOL.

i was going to say exactly this. my s/o is a gym rat, I am not. i admit i am lazy and hate working out :look: but...i do try to go to the gym regularly. he will randomly make comments about us exercising together, but on the other hand he does tell me that he likes my body as is and has never made me feel self conscious. however...when i bring up wanting to lose weight he is there to encourage me as well. and i realize sometimes his comments are likely b/c i would always complain of my pouch and gaining so much weight. he is the type of dude that thinks they have to fix everything. so me complaining about my weight, he thinks okay lets do something about it. not realizing, i dont want to do anything but sit on the couch, watch tv, and complain about gaining an extra 5 pounds while i eat pizza. lol so i'll say just talk to him about it, and be direct. one thing i've learned is if something is bothering me, speak up about it. dont let it fester, b/c then it becomes a bigger issue than it really is.

I understand someone wanting to encourage their significant other to look good, but there is a point to where it gets controlling. THis point can be different for every woman, because some women are perfectly fine with being their mans build a barbie (for lack of a better term). But if you have an issue with where it is going, speak up now because it will be a slippery slope.

my last relationship had lots of appearance based issues, even though in my opinion i was clearly too attractive for my bf. they didnt really seem like a big deal while at the same time i knew it was a constant underlying theme. after this experience, i look for men that adore my looks because while i was willing to overlook his physical imperfections, i learned the long way that some men can be too immature to do the same. it pisses me off now that he even had the audacity to think he deserved a picture perfect gorgeous woman when he was no more than a six at best.

for me personally i need to be strong enough going forward for that to be a dealbreaker. i have to identify when men are too weak to not focus on some petty physical nonsense.

So are some people just allergic to speaking up for themselves or no?

OP...At any time during these 3 incidents did you OPEN YOUR MOUTH and tell your man that his comments were bothersome to you? He sounds like an otherwise good dude who may not realize that his comments were hurtful.

I am very prone to hyperpigmentation. I could hit my hand on something, never break the skin, and it will still leave a mark. When my FH and I first started dating, he made a very mild comment that bothered me. He really thought he was being helpful but it hurt me nonetheless. Instead of sitting in silence, second guessing myself, or developing unneed insecurities based on something he said in stride, I straight up told him, "Look...my physical flaws, regardless of how small or big, are not up for your scrutiny." Once we talked about it, he apologized and never put me under his microscope like that again.

Yes...a man should love you in any shape or form and be very in tune with your emotions as if it's second nature and blah, blah, blah... that expectation is pure fantasy and not the reality of what dealing with another real live human being is like. You have to TEACH him how to love you. YOU have to show him how you expect to be respected, not sit around and hope a light bulb goes off and he he "gets it" some day. His name is not Ms. Cleo so he can not read your mind love. Being in a brand new relationship is the perfect time to start the lessons on what it means to love you.

Now is the time to let him know that "Hey! Your comments about my body bother me and I will not allow you to pick me apart like that." Give him details on how his words affect you and allow him to apologize and fix it. Do not second guess yourself as a woman and as his woman and be confident in the fact that you are 100% capable of being pleasing to his eyes.

Last edited:
FH told me from jump that he likes a woman who takes good care of herself physically. He told me this on literally, our first date.

He pays for my gym membership every month and expects me to use it. He doesn't want me to be a gym rat with a perfect body or anything(because I'm not and I don't), just that I care about my appearance and my fitness. I don't mind because I want to look good for myself and for him. Not to mention, he is right next to me at the gym every day keeping himself looking good too. :)

Definitely speak to him about how his comments make you feel. He should not be making you feel bad about yourself in any way.:nono:

Last edited:
I'm surprised this thread was bumped. I might as well give an update...

Me and the guy I spoke about broke up a few weeks ago.

The physical appearance thing never became an issue. Until the very end, he was complimenting me on my physique, skin, hair, etc. He was surprised that I stayed toned throughout the winter with my gym schedule not being that frequent and told me -- again -- that my natural build is an asset. At the time, he was trying to hit the gym a little more often because he admits to eating more than he should at times and wanting to slim down in some areas. He would tell me up until the very end how beautiful I was.

We broke up because after 8 months, his demeanor began to change. He asked me to treat him to lunch one time, when he had always treated before (in fact, he had asked me to lunch then asked me to treat). He borrowed my car and didn't return it until much later than agreed. He pulled on to the highway during an argument to have more time to argue his side of something, making me late for work...

...Things were basically becoming a living hell.

Guess the "body issue" thing may have been a red flag. Maybe I felt like he was trying to control me in some way... even back then.

Thanks for the update! It all makes sense now. Sounds like he was gonna be trouble.

He actually called me a c*** on that day he pulled out onto the highway, and then called me a b**** when we broke up.

Got pretty much verbally abusive in what felt like over night.

...Just had to get that off my chest before bed. I had only confided in one person (without leaving out details) before now.

Back