Please don't hate me...

blueabyss333

But does anyone actually like going to the hair salon and getting their hair done by their stylist? I found that my hair looked the healthiest and had the best styles when I went to see my stylist. The main reason I don't go now is because I don't have the money since I'm in college and got an apartment. When I was in high school, my Godmother would take me once a month and/or I was living in the dorms. My hair always looked like it was growing because my stylists gave me great trims and didn't take too much off. Does anyone else have great experiences with salons?

I know people whose hair flourishes under the guidance of a stylist. I was considering going back to my hair stylist for more TLC.

I can agree with you. Not all stylists are bad. I've been to a couple of good ones. My main beef is the time it takes. I used to sit in the shop for at least 6 hours for a touch up. Now that's ridiculous.

I LOVE going to the hairdresser!:D I think I have the best hairdresser around because she truly cares about the state of my hair. She's very cool and low key. I've gone to her since I was 13 years old (I'm 28 now) and she's never done my hair wrong. I used to take my own brand of relaxer in but she suggested that I use the store brand because it would make my hair softer and more shiny (which it did). She suggested that I stop asking to get my hair blow-dried because all that heat really wasn't good (which was true). She got me turned on to roller-wraps when she siad that they were better than the direct heat from a blow dry (also true). I always ask her if it looks as if my ends need a trim and she'll give her honest opinion (usually she says they look okay). I don't know what I'd do without her.

That's the main reason why I never post in the angry "let's boycott the stylists!" threads because I've always gone to one who treats my hair as if it were her own (and her hair looks pretty banging, at that). :lol:

It's so refreshing to see a positive stylist thread for once. I think people forget that not all stylists are horrible. Thank you.

It's true that not all stylist are bad. I've said before that my last hairstylist was GOOD TO ME! She is 3000 miles away from me now. :cry: I would fly her out here to work on my hair once a month if I had it like that.

You just have to be careful to find a stylist who:

1) pays attention to your hair health and good haircare, and not just hairstyles;
2) listens to what you want and gives you what you want;
3) works on your hair with TLC; and
4) is as respectful of your time as you are with theirs.

You also have to speak up when any of those 4 things are not happening.

No hate here! :)

I also love going to the salon to get my hair done now. I guess because I have actually found a stylist who is great and takes good care of my hair. She is older (early 50s) is real nice, mature, and most of all, NO DRAMA! That seemed to be part of the problem why I didn't like getting my hair done in the past because some of the stylists, while young and cool, had boyfriend or kid issues, would show up mega late, stay backed up with appts., allowed all kinds of riff-raff to go on in the salon, etc. It was such a hassle. I put up with it because I was younger and needed my hair done, but now that I am older and work hard for my money, I want a nice, quiet, relaxing salon visit without drama. I get that now with my new stylist! :)

I love my stylist. I've actually been guilty of not stretching as long as I possibly could just so that I could get her TLC! I also go to the Dominican salon in between touch-ups (4-5 months), so I am definitely a fan of salons... as long as I am pleased with the results. My hair likes it too. I actually think that I do more harm than good when I do my hair myself, especially when I self relax. :eek: I've learned my lesson. Some ladies are gifted enough to be able to do their own hair; I do not have that gift.

brownhaired_bonanza said:
I LOVE going to the hairdresser!:D I think I have the best hairdresser around because she truly cares about the state of my hair. She's very cool and low key. I've gone to her since I was 13 years old (I'm 28 now) and she's never done my hair wrong. I used to take my own brand of relaxer in but she suggested that I use the store brand because it would make my hair softer and more shiny (which it did). She suggested that I stop asking to get my hair blow-dried because all that heat really wasn't good (which was true). She got me turned on to roller-wraps when she siad that they were better than the direct heat from a blow dry (also true). I always ask her if it looks as if my ends need a trim and she'll give her honest opinion (usually she says they look okay). I don't know what I'd do without her.

That's the main reason why I never post in the angry "let's boycott the stylists!" threads because I've always gone to one who treats my hair as if it were her own (and her hair looks pretty banging, at that). :lol:

I agree. My stylist back home hooked me up with a great moisturizing shampoo and the Jane Carter Solution line. Between that and her hair care my hair flourished. She understood that my hair was terribly dry so she gave me treatments to help fix the problem. And she gave me trims every other touch-up. Once when I got highlights I told her that I didn't want too much (I was experimenting) and she did just that, I actually wished she'd gave me more.

balisi said:
It's so refreshing to see a positive stylist thread for once. I think people forget that not all stylists are horrible. Thank you.

No, thank you. People do forget. And I'm not trying to offend others but it was almost a relief of positivity to write this thread.

ETA: I'm glad others have a stylist whom they love visiting. Imani, I would probably be in the salon as much as you if I could.

Last edited:
I've only had one good experience with a stylist, and it was a white man at an incredibly expensive salon. He was fascinated to have a black woman with long hair in his salon. My hair was breaking at the time and he hooked me up with an incredible layered cut. Too bad I couldn't recreate what he gave me. I think I'll stick with a good old blunt cut and continue doing my own hair.

I love my stylist, she's great, she does what I ask of her (and she not messy.)

Recenty she cut about an inch off and I thought that was to much but she has always done right by my hair so I have to believe that I needed that. My hair is is great shape and is growing very well. I only go to her about twice a month, sometimes more depending on how I feel.

balisi said:

Of course not :-)

I was lucky onece to have had a good stylist when I wa up in NY. I never had to do my hair and went every week. Hair was great and Healthy.
Unfortunately I moved and have had bad experinces since then.
I say BIG UPS :-) to those who have found good stylists

My cousin is a stylist back home, and I'd go to her in heartbeat (though she is known around town as "sista snip snip":lol: ). If you are growing your hair out, she may not be the best bet . . . she does love scissors:lol: But, she is a healthy hair stylist though-- she really takes care of your hair. Her own hair is thick, long and midback. I don't know many other stylists I can say this about. So other than her, I've never met the stylist for me.:ohwell: I'm sure she's out there somewhere- just not trying to lose any more hair trying to find her. I am glad you ladies have found who you have though--- hold on tight b/c the good ones are so hard to find.:D Maybe someone can refer me to one in the Houston area b/c right now, I'm not having much luck.:ohwell:

I love going to the stylist to get my hair done and currently I only wear natural styles. I found someone who specialized in natural hair and since going to her, my hair has improved drastically in terms of length and health. Nothing wrong with going to get your hair done!

I think most got tired of running into the bad stylist but there are a few good ones out there. The good ones that I've had moved away but if you are lucky to find a great one then hold on as long as you can. It's just like finding a good man.

My most recent experiences with hair stylists is that they have been quick to criticise my hair, and not make any meaningful suggestions. And I am sure that's the same problem others have experienced. If I am going to spend my hard earned money in a salon, I want someone that is concerned for the wellbeing of my hair, and will share healthy tips for how I can care for my hair between visits.

Unfortunately these ladies are either stingy with their knowledge or simply don't know the right info to share. That said, I am not going to spend 80-100 bucks to have someone mercilessly brutalise my ego and hair!

For those that have found someone good, I am happy for you ;)

I have posted to every "I hate stylists" post so I feel i should post here as well. I do not think badly about all stylists. I just will say that I do not trust anyone, whether they are licensed or not, to have control over my hair without me 'interviewing' them first, and telling them exactly what i want (and trusting that they will do what I say).
I will say that my hair always looked good with my last stylist. The reason being is I would get rollersets like every 2-3 weeks and I believe that smoothes my hair and decreases breakage, and i believe it also trains my hair. But the only sad thing is that she kept my hair at shoulder length for about 4years....I mean come on...what part of "i'm trying to grow my hair out, don't u understand????" And not to mention the one time when she truly broke my heart cause i made progress with the length and she did a major cut and told me that 'hair holds curls better when it is not longer than shoulder length..." :ohwell: And also, she never gave me hair tips so when i couldn't get to her...my hair would break and wouldn't look as good. So it was like I needed her...until i found this board.

And honestly, I would go visit my new stylist more often, if it wasn't for my laziness. (now i only go every 12weeks for a touch-up). But with the new year, i am going to make an attempt to go see him at least 2x month, so my hair will look gorgeous for my april wedding. although i will not let him cut/trim it....

I really like the stylist that I haven't been to in 3 months. It's just that she wouldn't tell me what I needed to do to stop my hair from breaking. I know she would always tell me that I needed to come to her for protein treatments but never told me a good protein treatment I could get from the store. She took better care of my hair then any other stylist. Another thing, I like was that I could come out of their with 2 hrs because she didn't really book alot of clients at one time. Sometimes I would be the only person at the shop.

It's not hate, it's jealousy:lol: I would go to a salon if I could count on keeping my hair. One pro took me from 4 in below shoulder to less than 1/2 in 2 months, the most recent got mad and rough when I wouldn't let her cut my hair:confused: . Please be generous and psot the name and address of all the healthy hair stylists you know - if one's in Charlotte I promise to visit:lachen:

Mizani_Mrs said:
I have posted to every "I hate stylists" post so I feel i should post here as well. I do not think badly about all stylists. I just will say that I do not trust anyone, whether they are licensed or not, to have control over my hair without me 'interviewing' them first, and telling them exactly what i want (and trusting that they will do what I say).
I will say that my hair always looked good with my last stylist. The reason being is I would get rollersets like every 2-3 weeks and I believe that smoothes my hair and decreases breakage, and i believe it also trains my hair. But the only sad thing is that she kept my hair at shoulder length for about 4years....I mean come on...what part of "i'm trying to grow my hair out, don't u understand????" And not to mention the one time when she truly broke my heart cause i made progress with the length and she did a major cut and told me that 'hair holds curls better when it is not longer than shoulder length..." :ohwell: And also, she never gave me hair tips so when i couldn't get to her...my hair would break and wouldn't look as good. So it was like I needed her...until i found this board.

And honestly, I would go visit my new stylist more often, if it wasn't for my laziness. (now i only go every 12weeks for a touch-up). But with the new year, i am going to make an attempt to go see him at least 2x month, so my hair will look gorgeous for my april wedding. although i will not let him cut/trim it....

Thank you for adding to the discussion Mizani Mrs. We need to hear everyone's point of view. Sorry about your unfortunate encounter with stylists. I have a girlfriend whom I met in September 2004 and had been at neck length since. She's always talking about how she just got a trim. I wanna say something, but I just leave it alone.

tenderheaded said:
It's not hate, it's jealousy:lol: I would go to a salon if I could count on keeping my hair. One pro took me from 4 in below shoulder to less than 1/2 in 2 months, the most recent got mad and rough when I wouldn't let her cut my hair:confused: . Please be generous and psot the name and address of all the healthy hair stylists you know - if one's in Charlotte I promise to visit:lachen:

Sorry I just got good ones in Jersey.

I am glad that you are able to state that you love your stylist. Don't get me wrong, my stylist is fabulous! However, I feel like I was taken through hell and back before I came across her. I know that not all stylists are not out to ruin your hair and it definitely is nice that someone shared a positive experience with a stylist. Hopefully many more can find a stylist they can work with.

I liked my previous stylist. My only gripe was the time it took her to do my hair. It would take forever. I plan on seeing her quarterly this year. I want to get more styling options.

I would go to the salon more if I could find one that did what I asked but then again I have become pretty independant when it comes to my hair. I'm glad that many of you have stylists you can trust, I've had a few myself. My current on is ok but I only go for relaxers or braids (she does both) because I would rather trim and style myself.

@blueAbyss... No problem gurl!

@tenderHeaded...You need to check out Hair Cuttery at the Lake in the University area. A guy by the name of Richard does a relaxer like nobody's business. he is truly perfect. He gives me the Mizani Regular. (I would only trust him, after hearing another stylists conversation). They have GREAT prices. And he listens and i felt like he was extra careful and followed the rules cause i told him i was taking good care of my hair and growing it out. And get this....last relaxer he asked if i wanted a trim and I smiled and said 'no maybe next time' and he smiled and said okay and kept going about his business. No snide remarks about how thin and ugly my ends are...no remarks about how hair will split up the shaft...no embarassing confrontations....I almost passed out...I wanted to hug him and tell him i loved him. :lol: He does a very nice rollerset. I haven't seen him cut anyones hair into a style, or style other than doing a very nice flat-iron job and rollerset job. So i just wanted to fore-warn you that i can't vouch for his hair 'styling' skills.

You know, it's funny. My roommate just came back from the holidays with her hair highlighted and slightly cut. Now, she doesn't trust anyone and is afraid of letting other people touching her hair for many reasons. For almost two years she talked about highlights and changing up hair but never did until now. So we were talking about her experience and I swear she was saying word for word what many of you complain about sylists. Mainly, she was saying how it took so long. The stylist was an half an hour late, then she was complaining about how she had to eat every two hours, was on the phone, and then made my roomy feel bad and embarrassed about her hair practices. Mind you, my roommates hair is pretty healthy in what she does- she is relaxed but can do a wash-and-go and get curly hair. My roomy actually said that she wanted to get her hair cut more but the stylist was taking waaay too long. Not only that, she made her buy like 3 new products and then had the nerve to ask her will she put the tip on her card? WHAT?!:mad: I have NEVER had a stylist ask me that and woulda said no after that because she shouldn't have asked. Now here was the stylist's chance to gain a great new client but she clearly lost her and made the stylist industry look bad. Sorry to all those who have experienced this.

Back