Pj Support Thread 2010 Pt.1

I'm gonna try to stretch these for as long as I can! Right now, my goal is 8 weeks, then from there, I'll keep going if I think I can make it.

I'm using ORS herbal cleanse dry shampoo every 2 weeks and africa's something (forget the name) braid spray every other day (don't want any buildup). And my scarf has become my new best friend. :yep: I'm also going to go back every 2-3 weeks to have my edges redone.

I have, like, three sprays because I unearthed my aphogee keratin for a shot of protein and the SO bought me one. I asked him to stop buy Whole Foods tell me if the Giovanni spritz came with a top, because the two I saw in Walmart didn't and he ended up buying it for me.

It took maybe 6 hours, which isn't bad at all for braids. Trust me, I can tell you (I've had braids all my life, mainly when I was younger). It was only tight the first night and now they're fine. They're not heavy, so I'm thankful for that.

I went to a woman I found on Craigslist. I was so glad she had an online album (http://www.flickr.com/photos/oskat_braid/) because I want to see what I'm getting. When I arrived, she was finishing up a woman's kinky twists and that's what I'm going to get next. :yep: I love them!

She did lightly blow dry my hair before braiding.

I love that link that is smart I've always go where ppl recommended and never knowing what their techniques looks like! I may try her out one day. thanks!

I like panthenol. What really helped me early in my journey was finding VO5's Split Ends with Panthenol. I strongly believe it helped my hair become healthier. Many of the products I am drawn to have panthenol as an ingredient including my Nioxin poo and con.

Americka, Americka, Americka...

Why didn't you warn me about panthenol???!! :shocked:

I am trying to get rid of some of my stash and had a big bag of powdered panthenol. I mixed it with my Hello Hydration and did a co-wash.

Why did my hair double in size and just about snap my neck??? :blush: :lachen:

My hair is so big and heavy. No, I do not have any pics. Imma try it again on Friday and I will post pics then. :spinning:

Americka, Americka, Americka...

Why didn't you warn me about panthenol???!! :shocked:

I am trying to get rid of some of my stash and had a big bag of powdered panthenol. I mixed it with my Hello Hydration and did a co-wash.

Why did my hair double in size and just about snap my neck??? :blush: :lachen:

My hair is so big and heavy. No, I do not have any pics. Imma try it again on Friday and I will post pics then. :spinning:

:grin:! LMAO @ the red bold! How much did you add? Can't wait to see the pics. Off to add some panthenol to errthang! *skips from the room*

Info about Panthenol for anyone interested....

How is panthenol made? Panthenol is coverted into pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) a major constituent in coenzyme A. Panthenol is an important part of skin and hair care. Providing revitalizing and conditioning effects, panthenol possesses humectant-like properties that aid in skin absorption.
One major benefit to panthenol is its contributory role in coenzyme A. Coenzyme A is needed by every living cell to help it grow and survive.
Liquid panthenol is formulator-friendly. Easy to use and measure, simply add to the water phase of your formula. It is stable under lotion processing conditions, but should not be boiled. Use rates depend upon your application. Panthenol use in body and hair care formulation
PRODUCT
Use rate
Rinse-off hair conditioner
1% to 5%
Leave-in hair conditioner
.1% to .5%
Hair tonic / serum
.3% to 1.0%
Facial & body lotions
.2% to 1.0%
Anti-aging serum
.4% to 2%
After-sun lotions
.5% to 2.0%

We recommend using panthenol is after sun care lotions and anti-aging applications. Because it is an humectant, panthenol helps retain moisture and aids overall cell metabolism.

I have some powdered Panthenol too based on what Americka said in the previous thread and research. I haven't used it because I don't know how much to add. Maybe a teaspoon per 16 oz? I don't understand what is meant by the % :look:.

I have some powdered Panthenol too based on what Americka said in the previous thread and research. I haven't used it because I don't know how much to add. Maybe a teaspoon per 16 oz? I don't understand what is meant by the % :look:.

I believe it means that panthenol should be only that percent of the total product. So if it already has panthenol, I would be hesitant to add additional amounts to it. But if it is a product w/o it, it should be a minimal amount. Does that make sense? :spinning:

Last edited:
I believe it means that panthenol should be only that percent of the total product. So if it already has panthenol, I would be hesitant to add additional amounts to it. But if it as a product w/o it, it should be a minimal amount. Does that make sense? :spinning:

I will take a look at my products and see what they have. I will start testing out the panthenol soon. I also have honeyquat and need to start working on how to incorporate it.

I will take a look at my products and see what they have. I will start testing out the panthenol soon. I also have honeyquat and need to start working on how to incorporate it.

I also have some honeyquat that I've only used once. Let me know how you are using it and in what amounts. I remember being told that a very little goes a long way with honeyquat.

Info about Panthenol for anyone interested....

How is panthenol made? Panthenol is coverted into pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) a major constituent in coenzyme A. Panthenol is an important part of skin and hair care. Providing revitalizing and conditioning effects, panthenol possesses humectant-like properties that aid in skin absorption.
One major benefit to panthenol is its contributory role in coenzyme A. Coenzyme A is needed by every living cell to help it grow and survive.

Liquid panthenol is formulator-friendly. Easy to use and measure, simply add to the water phase of your formula. It is stable under lotion processing conditions, but should not be boiled. Use rates depend upon your application. Panthenol use in body and hair care formulation
PRODUCT

Use rate

Rinse-off hair conditioner
1% to 5%

Leave-in hair conditioner
.1% to .5%

Hair tonic / serum
.3% to 1.0%

Facial & body lotions
.2% to 1.0%

Anti-aging serum
.4% to 2%

After-sun lotions
.5% to 2.0%

We recommend using panthenol is after sun care lotions and anti-aging applications. Because it is an humectant, panthenol helps retain moisture and aids overall cell metabolism.

I have some panthenol in powder don't know why I brought it but can I mix it in any conditioner like the cheapie?

If panthenol is going to make my hair bigger, I need to sign up. Where did you all buy yours?

Robot, your braids are too cute.

BM, I hate the way my hair hangs when I wash and go. I don't think you should cut yours though. Your SD's hair is gorgeous.

I have some panthenol in powder don't know why I brought it but can I mix it in any conditioner like the cheapie?

Yes, just make sure it is not an already existing ingredient. I would follow the percentage in the chart - 1% to 5% of the total product. When I first got mine, I added it to Pantene.

If panthenol is going to make my hair bigger, I need to sign up. Where did you all buy yours?

Lotioncrafters via a friend.

:grin:! LMAO @ the red bold! How much did you add? Can't wait to see the pics. Off to add some panthenol to errthang! *skips from the room*

:lachen::lachen:@ the red.

See, I think this is where I went wrong. I added about a tablespoon to about a 3/4 cup of Hello Hydration.

Runs upstairs to see if HH already has panthenol in it ....:perplexed

Robot, your braids are too cute.

BM, I hate the way my hair hangs when I wash and go. I don't think you should cut yours though. Your SD's hair is gorgeous.

I got mine from Texas Natural supply very cheap!

I am happy to report that this PJ didn't purchase any products this past weekend! That is such a major feat for me! I even went so far as to putting things in my buggy for a while, then my willpower kicked in and I put everything back. Yeah!
:look:

Lotioncrafters

I use up two product today. I'm sitting under my steamer today with AOWC and honeyquat.
How much honeyquat did you use? You mentioning this in the DC challenge thread reminded that I even had honeyquat :nono:.

I am happy to report that this PJ didn't purchase any products this past weekend! That is such a major feat for me! I even went so far as to putting things in my buggy for a while, then my willpower kicked in and I put everything back. Yeah!
:look:
Great job :grin:.

Well, I see I will be buying some products from Komaza. I'ma need them to have a sale or I guess I could start out with sample sizes. Not really thinking of buying anything until the spring. I will be upping my cowashing so I think that will be a great time to try out products. It also seems the next time Sunshine opens back up I may need to invest in some 16 oz of Sunshine. I can not even think about running out.

What's honeyquat? Do ya'll get that from lotioncrafters too?

And has anyone done henna and GPB like on one wash day? Is that overkill since gpb has some protein?

i didnt use up anything today but i am loving oyin honey hemp conditioner as a leave in. when i start cutting back on stuff, this might replace kbb hair milk. i will try to always have both on hand but if for some reason i cant honey hemp wins because its a co wash, deep conditioner and leave in.

Lotioncrafters

How much honeyquat did you use? You mentioning this in the DC challenge thread reminded that I even had honeyquat :nono:.

Great job :grin:.

Well, I see I will be buying some products from Komaza. I'ma need them to have a sale or I guess I could start out with sample sizes. Not really thinking of buying anything until the spring. I will be upping my cowashing so I think that will be a great time to try out products. It also seems the next time Sunshine opens back up I may need to invest in some 16 oz of Sunshine. I can not even think about running out.

I used a tablespoon, like you I forgot I had it and instead of using my good honey I just thought about using it.

Just got back from Whole Foods and the only thing I bought was Tints of Nature hair dye. I won't lie, I REALLY wanted to buy something, but this particular WF in Cambridge just doesn't have anything good. I did grab some real coconut slices and I'm eating them right now.

Hey Ladies:grin:: What's Up? I am sitting applying Castor Oil.

I have been alternating between that, Wheat Germ and Essential Fatty Acids (EFA Oils).:grin:

Still focusing on using stuff up.:yep:

Back