One-sided Loyalty And The Effects Of Social Media.

UmSumayyah

upload_2018-6-12_11-54-16.png

Black American women have just (relatively) recently reached the percentage of intermarriage that black men hit on or about 1983.

KSC has talked about the cultural pressures, largely from within the black community that influenced black women to (largely) keep black men as our only option even as they married out more and more every year. Very enlightening, and certainly makes one laugh at all the "bedwench" talk and the yelping about Issa Rae's satirical book.

She has theorized that it has only been the open hatred/derision/mocking on social media that has caused us to re-evaluate this loyalty we are known for. I would have to agree that it is a major factor.

Even on this board, and I have been here more than a decade, shows the change. Not just romantic loyalty, but the knee-jerk impulse to defend almost any bm is gone.

I would also say that social media is also tempering the knee-jerk "people of color" thing we have had for so long as well.

And of course, increasing the knowledge we have about our hair. We take so many things for granted now that were not common when LHCF was first started. So many women making money on growing and showing others how to have healthier hair and skin. Even folks getting HBO shows (Issa Rae) when they started out with no industry connects and no need to audition because they did their own thing on Youtube. So many changes in a decade and a half!

Yeah I know I rambled.

Back