Oh her hair is long due to genetics!

GeorginaSparks

Ive been seeing people say this recently(def not on here because we know better) and Im wondering if there's some type of study that proves that genetics has very little to do with someone having long hair. Im really tired of people saying this i just want to refer them to the link whenever i hear such ignorance. :look:

Just a thought: Im aware genetics has a lot to do with density, texture and growth cycle(related to everyone's terminal length) but nothing to do with the actual growth.

Ive been seeing people say this recently(def not on here because we know better) and Im wondering if there's some type of study that proves that genetics has very little to do with someone having long hair. Im really tired of people saying this i just want to refer them to the link whenever i hear such ignorance. :look:

Just a thought: Im aware genetics has a lot to do with density, texture and growth cycle(related to everyone's terminal length) but nothing to do with the actual growth.

Genetics do play a big part, but they are only a piece of the pie. It has everything to do with a person's haircare regimen. Did you mean genetics has nothing to do with retention? Because, in my small opinion, that would actually be a correct statement.

Genetics DO PLay a part in hair growth the rate of hair growth alone plays a big part

from Wikipedia :"The rate or speed of hair growth is about 1.25 centimeters or 0.5 inches per month, or about 15 centimeters or 6 inches per year"

Genetically hair grows at different speeds for different races so that alone can be used as a determining factor.

Then if you think about retention some will argue that people with thicker hair can retain more easily.

Genetics also play a big part when you take the growth cycle and terminal hair length into account

"Our hair doesn’t stop growing at a certain length-it stops growing after a certain time period. Again, this is where genetics comes in. This time period, or growth phase, is set by genetics with the average growth phase for hair on the head being 2-6 years for humans across racial lines."

taken from: http://blackgirllonghair.com/2011/11/genetics-do-they-determine-hair-length/3/

im just giving quick short notes

Last edited:
Genetics do play a big part, but they are only a piece of the pie. It has everything to do with a person's haircare regimen. Did you mean genetics has nothing to do with retention? Because, in my small opinion, that would actually be a correct statement.

and i would go as far as to say the regimen my not even be the key to hair growth either . we see time and time again here people who do "everything" right and still consider themselves "slow grower" then we see people who go against the grain and have hair that grows at amazing rates. folks that take 10000 growth aids vs people that take none people that protective style 24-7 vs people that just w&G 24-7

i don't think there is a growth formula i believe its mostly balls down to genetics

Genetics DO PLay a part in hair growth the rate of hair growth alone plays a big part from Wikipedia

"The rate or speed of hair growth is about 1.25 centimeters or 0.5 inches per month, or about 15 centimeters or 6 inches per year"

Genetically hair grows at different speeds for different races so that alone can be used as a determining factor.

Then if you think about retention some will argue that people with thicker hair can retain more easily.

Genetics also play a big part when you take the growth cycle and terminal hair length into account

"Our hair doesn’t stop growing at a certain length-it stops growing after a certain time period. Again, this is where genetics comes in. This time period, or growth phase, is set by genetics with the average growth phase for hair on the head being 2-6 years for humans across racial lines."

taken from: http://blackgirllonghair.com/2011/11/genetics-do-they-determine-hair-length/3/

im just giving quick short notes

That is what I believe. I don't understand why so many people in here think genetics does not play a role in hair length.

I also think people with more oily scalp tend to have better retention because they don't have to add as much moisture. The natural sebum travel down the hair shaft and keep it moist. Where as, people with dry hair have to constantly add moisture or their hair breaks due to dryness.

I believe genetics plays a part. Some of us may naturally have a tendency for weaker strands in our DNA, while others may have strands with stronger cuticles able to withstand more manipulation,breakage and retention. Both can achieve long hair but the former will have to be more vigilant with their haircare in order to achieve lenght.

Au contraire ma soeur, I do think genetics has a lot to do with hair length, texture and health. Of course we can enhance or detract from it.

I believe genetics plays a part in growth rates and it will vary across races. I don't think race plays a part. I think people cling to it to as it takes away some of the personal responsibility for whatever is going on with their hair.

I think genetics plays a fairly large part in growth rate. Some people s hair just grows quicker. Hair care can help or hurt for sure though.

I am confused. If hair stops growing after a certain time period then why when people cut their hair does it grow?

Cutting and growth are two different things. 10% of the Hair is only in the death phase at a time, the rest is continuously growing. You can cut hair that is still growing and some of those strands may be in the death phase so it's going to shed anyway. Cutting has no effect on growth, it's just a vanity thing.

Genetics has a lot to do with growth and is a small factor with retention. If you have hair that grows at a fast rate, it could take a while for the damage to catch up to your hair. If genetics determine you will have thick strands, that can also determine how much damage your hair can withstand before damaging your hair. Genetics determine growth rate, but that can differ to the hair on your head in specific locations and even hair on the body.

In biology, while hair provides covering for the head and body, it gets the last of everything; therefore your body treats your hair like a stepchild practically.

At the end of the day, hair will always grow. It's what it doing to keep it that matters.

I believe genetics plays a part in growth rates and it will vary across races. I don't think race plays a part. I think people cling to it to as it takes away some of the personal responsibility for whatever is going on with their hair.

I do agree there is a log we can do to help the growth process and retention. Some of us just need to put in more work than others. In my case, I started taking multi vitamins three months ago. I noticed a HUGE difference in my nails after about a month. My nails naturally grow fast, but break like crazy. I suddenly realized instead of having to cut my nails because one broke, I had to trim them down because they were too long. I suddenly realize what type of havoc I've been allow the rest of my body to go through because of lack of nutrients. I'm not going to start taking growth aid but good nutrient is essential for healthy hair. I know many members have been preaching that for years but I finally see the light.

I get confused with why people will exclude hair growth from genetics but include every other part of their body :perplexed. I don't think that you'll find any study that will disprove that genetics are directly tied to hair growth :look:.

Genetics determine the thickness of your strands, how much curl you will and will not have, how many strands you have overall, how fast your hair will grow, how much oil your scalp will and will not produce. All of these things effect hair growth (literally) and retention whether someone likes it or not. Certain combos lead to easier and longer length retention. Which is kind of obvious when you look at different groups of people, and you see what the average lengths are and how many people do and don't have very long hair. I think that people have confused the fight for proving that black people can grow their hair long with the fact that Afro hair types aren't necessarily set to be the easiest to reach long lengths with. People of Asian descent have a one up on everyone else hair growth and retention wise because they 1) have the fastest growth rate 2) have the thickest strands 3) many have type 1-2 hair.

Some people are never going to have long hair due to genetics. Some people will easily have long hair due to genetics. Some people are going to have to work overtime to achieve what someone else has without thinking about it. Don't take it personally. That's just life :lol:.

ETA: I had to come to terms with my "disadvantages" with me and my best friend both growing our hair out :lol:.
She has type 1, thick strands, low density and a growth rate of around 1" a month. When I last saw her in 2011, she was maintaining a little past SL cut. When I saw her again in 2013, her hair was full HL. She only wears her hair down, doesn't DC, only uses shampoo and baby oil :spinning:. I started out with BSL hair in 2011 and I'm still working to get to MBL :nono:. She has everything genetically in her corner to have very long hair, and I'm over even thinking about "competing" with her :lol:.

Last edited:
When I was perming from root to tip every 6 weeks, washing my hair regularly with neutralizing shampoo and con, and pressing my hair daily, I thought that my hair wasn't growing due to genetics.

Genetics dictate hair growth. Regimen dictates retention.

Understand and implement those factors and length will follow.

Boom! Case closed :look: :trophy: :lachen:

:lachen:
But what about those chicks who flatiron multiple times a week and only use shampoo with gorgeous WL hair, or those who trim 0.5" every month and still manage to retain 5-6 in. a year? And what about the ladies DCing, spending 3 hours gently fingerdetangling, PSing yet are stuck at SL because their hair is fine and super curly and will just break no matter what, and/or they only get 0.25" a month? If your hair grows 0.25" a month and have a growth phase of 3 years, 9 in of hair is the max length you'd be able to retain :ohwell:. I wish there was a test that could tell you exactly how much you grew a month and how long your growth phase was. It would save a lot of years of struggling and being frustrated trying to hit goals you can't physically make anyway.

But what about those chicks who flatiron multiple times a week and only use shampoo with gorgeous WL hair, or those who trim 0.5" every month and still manage to retain 5-6 in. a year?

They aren't the ones complaining about genetics.

And what about the ladies DCing, spending 3 hours gently fingerdetangling, PSing yet are stuck at SL because their hair is fine and super curly and will just break no matter what, and/or they only get 0.25" a month?

These people need more people. I don't believe them.

I've been on this board, watching fotki progress pics, watching youtube videos for going on a decade and I have yet to see anybody doing all of the above stuck at shoulder length.

I think a look at the regimen of the hair martyr who is at the same length 5 years down the line will tell a different story.

But what about those chicks who flatiron multiple times a week and only use shampoo with gorgeous WL hair, or those who trim 0.5" every month and still manage to retain 5-6 in. a year? And what about the ladies DCing, spending 3 hours gently fingerdetangling, PSing yet are stuck at SL because their hair is fine and super curly and will just break no matter what, and/or they only get 0.25" a month? If your hair grows 0.25" a month and have a growth phase of 3 years, 9 in of hair is the max length you'd be able to retain :ohwell:. I wish there was a test that could tell you exactly how much you grew a month and how long your growth phase was. It would save a lot of years of struggling and being frustrated trying to hit goals you can't physically make anyway.

Exactly right here in every single thread you see muliple exceptions to ALL of these rules as i mentioned above. i think about 87.29% of hair growth have to do with your genetic make up and health

Genetics is one factor. Some people can attain length with minimal effort/minimal regimen due to their genes.

Others can attain the same result but it takes more time and rigourous regimen/protective styling/no heat/etc. to help them retain more length.

You are so mean. Yet so right. Thanks for spitting the truth. This is my reality about 6 inches in three years. Of course it's genetics I'm not about taking 32 pills a day to get the normal half inch a month.

I had to learn the hard way. Due to genetics my hair grows at a rate of .25 inches a month. One day I did the math if all I am getting is 3 inches a year. And if my ends think about spitting that's about 2 inch retention with quarterly .25 trims, deep conditioning treatments and living under a wig.

I'm game my hair is past shoulder length. With my relaxed ends I'm 2-3 inches to armpit. It's going to be a long year.

They aren't the ones complaining about genetics.

These people need more people. I don't believe them.

I've been on this board, watching fotki progress pics, watching youtube videos for going on a decade and I have yet to see anybody doing all of the above stuck at shoulder length.

I think a look at the regimen of the hair martyr who is at the same length 5 years down the line will tell a different story.

You are absolutely 150 percent right!:lachen:

and i would go as far as to say the regimen my not even be the key to hair growth either . we see time and time again here people who do "everything" right and still consider themselves "slow grower" then we see people who go against the grain and have hair that grows at amazing rates. folks that take 10000 growth aids vs people that take none people that protective style 24-7 vs people that just w&G 24-7

i don't think there is a growth formula i believe its mostly balls down to genetics

I wasn't referring to the speed of growth. I was purely speaking about growth and retention.

You are so mean. Yet so right. Thanks for spitting the truth. This is my reality about 6 inches in three years. Of course it's genetics I'm not about taking 32 pills a day to get the normal half inch a month.

I had to learn the hard way. Due to genetics my hair grows at a rate of .25 inches a month. One day I did the math if all I am getting is 3 inches a year. And if my ends think about spitting that's about 2 inch retention with quarterly .25 trims, deep conditioning treatments and living under a wig.

I'm game my hair is past shoulder length. With my relaxed ends I'm 2-3 inches to armpit. It's going to be a long year.

I wasn't trying to be mean :blush:. When I first went natural, I spent my time solely on another popular hair forum and then I peeked over here. One of the things I noticed over there vs here, is that there are more testimonies from naturals who have been on their hair journey and have been using the best hair practices for their hair, yet some can't get to SL after years and years of trying. I think it's insensitive to discredit and to not believe these ladies when the difficulty that their having has nothing to do with what their doing but with the genetic lot they've been given. Just like their are genetic rarities (some less rare in certain populations) that can grow hair to their knees and longer; the opposite end of the spectrum obviously exists. There's also a lot of ladies online and IRL that have had to use relaxers and heat to nullify the retention disadvantage curls, especially tight curls brings. A poster mentioned people with oilier scalps probably have better retention. I think that people with noticeably oily scalps also have looser curl patterns. You can produce all the sebum in the world, but if the kinks and curves of your hair don't allow it to travel down your length, it's not going to be helpful to you. It may actually lead to build up on the scalp and other issues that may further interfere with retention :nono:.

My childhood bff (still friends til today) can flat iron her hair 3xs a week and wash and DC whenever she wants.

Her hair is lush and WL. Has never skipped a beat. She can cut it to SL, and she will be MBL+ within a couple of years effortlessly.

I know its genetics. Her mom & sister share her same hair type.
Unicorn hair at its finest.

I wasn't trying to be mean :blush:. When I first went natural, I spent my time solely on another popular hair forum and then I peeked over here. One of the things I noticed over there vs here, is that there are more testimonies from naturals who have been on their hair journey and have been using the best hair practices for their hair, yet some can't get to SL after years and years of trying. I think it's insensitive to discredit and to not believe these ladies when the difficulty that their having has nothing to do with what their doing but with the genetic lot they've been given. Just like their are genetic rarities (some less rare in certain populations) that can grow hair to their knees and longer; the opposite end of the spectrum obviously exists. There's also a lot of ladies online and IRL that have had to use relaxers and heat to nullify the retention disadvantage curls, especially tight curls brings. A poster mentioned people with oilier scalps probably have better retention. I think that people with noticeably oily scalps also have looser curl patterns. You can produce all the sebum in the world, but if the kinks and curves of your hair don't allow it to travel down your length, it's not going to be helpful to you. It may actually lead to build up on the scalp and other issues that may further interfere with retention :nono:.

*******ckisland

I agree with you. I see too many people around here saying they DC 3-4 times a week, will die if you mention heat (or say they use it 2/3 times a year) and just doing all the "right" stuff by the hair world standards, yet when I look at their join date and they've been here like 50-11 years and still stuck in the APL zone...I'm like chile bye...what's really going on?! Your post made a lot of sense.

@ckisland

I know you wasn't trying to be mean.A lot of people just don't understand how your growth rate can be less than average. I was watching a naturals YouTube, and a commenter was like that's all the hair you have after being natural for 3 years? She responded with not everyone is focused on growth and how everyone's hair grows at different rates.

I'm half and half on this subject.

Genetics play a role. genetics always play a role, in everything that we're born with.

HOWEVER, I attribute the difference between Genetics and Effort to the same difference between Talent and Skill.

Some people are genetically predisposed to be good at math. That means that talented Max spends 30 minutes on math hw gets an A+, while Robert has to spend 2 hours to get the same A+.

With that said, someone who spends time and discipline to develop any skill WILL eventually become great. Greatness is discipline over time, NOT just talent.

So, my biggest issue with the genetics argument, is I think people use it as a crutch to say that something is not possible for them because they are genetically disadvantaged.....I truly believe that 90% of the time, that is simply NOT true (extreme cases excluded). I'm sorry but I refuse to believe that 7 out of 10 ethnic women have hair that "doesn't grow" or only grows at ".25 inches" per month. Because I hear that story wayyy too often.

I refuse to believe it. That's like saying one cannot lose weight because of genetics. I can promise you that if you want to lose weight badly enough, and you eat purely vegetables and seafood for 6 months, come back and look me in the eye and tell me that you haven't lost weight.

There is: Protective Styling, deep conditioning, growth aids, general supplements, eating habits, patience etc.

Often times I find that it's not a matter of chance..., it's a matter of HOW BADLY DO YOU WANT IT??. People who are eager enough will do whatever it takes to achieve a goal.

Even if it takes you longer, more effort, more patience, than someone else, it is STILL possible. Anything is possible for people who are hungry enough.

One of the things I noticed over there vs here, is that there are more testimonies from naturals who have been on their hair journey and have been using the best hair practices for their hair, yet some can't get to SL after years and years of trying.

Could it be that the 'best hair practices' over there vs here don't work as well?

There are some boards that believe that the only thing your hair needs is juice and berries and if your hair doesn't grow it wasn't meant to. While my own hair needs artificial ingredients and sweeteners to stay on course. If I only used Juice and Berries, I'd have berry length hurr. :grin:

Science doesn't lie. Your hair could also be long due to healthy hair practices along with DNA. The anagen phase is determined by genetics. Some people do nothing to have long hair while others have to maintain healthy hair practices. And yes scientifically speaking genetics do play a part in how long someone's hair can grow.

Gene That Regulates Hair Growth Identified

The anagen phase is known as the growth phase. It begins in the papilla and can last from two to six years. The span at which the hair remains in this stage of growth is determined by genetics.

The regulation of human hair growth is one of the most mysterious of biologic events. Genetic factors are responsible for the density, length, color and texture of hair.

Back