long dreads down to the knees vs: other heads of hair- care methods

I love locs. I think they are beautiful on most people I have seen who have them. I am hoping my boyfriend will stick with it and get his hair loced. I think he would be so sexy (not that he's not sexy now). :D My mother deplores them as do most people I know, but I think they are stunning on those who take care of their hair.

Locks are unique and beautiful on african textured hair when groomed properly. They can be very sexy and exotic. Love , Love , Love em!!!
Its all just a matter of preference, if you like it, great!.....otherwise.......just close your eyes or look in the other direction.

Alli77 said:
check out these beautiful locked styles called sisterlocks! I plan on growing to waistlength and maybe in the future get sisterlocks! THey are gorgeous!

Dr.CBackKneeupCrop2.jpg

wowww...sisterlocks are beautiful..i love how dreads are free form but at the same time can look like regular non locked hair in shape...its beautiful!!! i wish i could get some..i dont think i have the patience to though...but its beautiful beautiful beautiful!!!!!!!!!:eek: :grin:

Damian.jpg

if the person under the dreads looks like this, i'll take them anyday and i won't even touch the deragotory comment made about dreads being "gross" and "unclean"

CiaJcanBabi said:
Damian.jpg

if the person under the dreads looks like this, i'll take them anyday and i won't even touch the deragotory comment made about dreads being "gross" and "unclean"

Is that damian marley? hehehe he is a cutie! lol...and i totally agree with you!!

asummertyme: arent they beautiful!! It mustve taken so long to do on the other hand but i think it looks worth it...and they look really easy to take out if you wanted to...nice!

i love them meia..i have always been a huge fan of locs...sister locs are just awsome..i even brought a video on how to do extension locs from khamit kinks...since i did not wanna start with just the baby locs...i say one day, i just knowi will loc my hair...

Why should I have to say I hate something that I don't, hate is such a harsh word and I would rather be honest about how I feel about a particular thing, it's funny how some pple get so offended by someones opinion and that's all it is, now if you have a gross head of locs then so be it the same way someone else commented on Lauryn Hills locs which when I think of it hers are quite cute and I do like, so I don't hate locs, maybe I should of said I don't like the ones that look nasty and gross, and would prefer the ones that are thinner than others and are weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell groomed and taken care of oppose to others, so I think you just took what I said and ran w/it, which is normal for those who look for negativity, and as for the last picture of the Sister Locs posted they are cute and look much better IMHO. :)
EbonyF said:
I think it's offensive to say something is nasty and gross. I think simply stating "you don't like locks" is efficient enough.

Plus the pictures I posted of Goapele, you have no idea of how she grooms her locks. Usually the CORE is from the use of beeswax. But not every locked person uses beeswax. Also latching is a great way to prevent a core.

Heck why not approach any unlocked person who uses grease, BLACK gel, pomade, etc and see what kind of things are in their head. Or some un-locked people who only wash their every month or two. They also attract lint and have scalp problems.

I'm sorry but you are making it seem that locks are AUTOMATICALLY "gross" and "nasty" and that is not true.

But like they say: Roses really smell like boo boo. So don't be fooled madam.

Last edited:
yes that is my husband (hahaahaha) i'm horrible when it comes to damian or ky-mani, he is without a doubt the best looking marley progeny, he will be in philly on dec 4 meia if you are at all interested in seeing him, why do i know? because i will be on the direct flight from mobay to see him, sad sad sad

my uncle duggy
102806811.img.jpg

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Why should I have to say I hate something that I don't, hate is such a harsh word and I would rather be honest about how I feel about a particular thing, it's funny how some pple get so offended by someones opinion and that's all it is, now if you have a gross head of locs then so be it the same way someone else commented on Lauryn Hills locs which when I think of it hers are quite cute and I do like, so I don't hate locs, maybe I should of said I don't like the ones that look nasty and gross, and would prefer the ones that are thinner than others and are weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell groomed and taken care of oppose to others, so I think you just took what I said and ran w/it, which is normal for those who look for negativity, and as for the last picture of locs posted they are cute and look much better IMHO. :)

i find this highly amusing, i had a very nice talk with a woman in the airport who thought that having dreads automatically made them dirty and unclean, something about people with dreads not washing their hair or some such nonsensical diatribe. for those that don't know, IMO their are two varieties of "dreadlocks":
1 fashion locs, these are the cutsie thin ones almost everyone has now because somehow it makes them "afrocentric(BS)" these take forever to start because you have to have someone do them to keep them "neat" and "presentable", these are the ones celebs have
2 rasta locs, these are the socalled "dirty locs" unclean nasty looking ones that obviously aren't washed or taken care of. hmmm, i have two uncles who are "rasta loced" who i can tell you my uncle douglas washes his hair every single freaking day morning and night and puts nothing on his hair for the rest of the day, no beeswax, holding gel, hair spray, or anything of the ilk, i can't attest to the cleanliness or rasta or fashion locs, but from my personal experience (i have frens and family with both types) just because something looks bad, don't make assumptions about the state of it
it's kinda like run-down, looks bad bad bad but tastes oh so good
then again opinions are like a-holes and everyone has one, i say smile, eat curry, don't watch nutten and do you

Last edited:
BeautifulWideEyes said:
You know I find it amusing also, and unfortunately Il ive in a place called the land of free and if stating an opinion gets all this attention then I don't think i will again, and thanks for the info on dreads. another thing it's not that I don't know pple who do have dreads and know that they wash them but like I said if they look a particular way then what do you expect pple to think. That's just like myself having a head of relaxed hair that's always dry looking, uncombed and unstlyed every day and pieces of hair all over my clothes all the time, but I like to argue that my head of relaxed hair is healthy and well kept, LOL, when my appearance says something totally different. And if opinions are like A-holes then I guess most of us are one because no matter what the subject is if you don't agree w/the person or pple on something then it's just that and opinion and nothing else, I think and A-hole is a person who doesn't understand that this world comes in different shapes and sizes and no two pple have to be on the same page all the time. :)

very well said, my post was supposed to have the person you quoted statement in their as well but didn't work that way, mine was probably too long, sorry if you took what i said the wrong way, but i was including the back and forth on the cleanliness uncleanliness of it and la la ray ray, hmm and ur to right cause i've seen to many people walking around WITH a comb in their hair but only half of it is done while the other half flies every which way, never understood that one. and i wasn't calling you an a-hole i was saying that ALL of our opinions we're like an a-hole meaning the actual anal orifice in that everyone has an opinion on something like we all have an anal opening but this will be to long apologies if u felt slighted, now i'm hungry and all my talk about curry and rundown just making it worse, hope all is well now and i cleared up misgivings Insha Allah

yeah I did think you were calling ppl that gave their opinion A-holes, LOL, and I apoligize for taking it the wrong the wrong way, I guess I started running on myself.
anBabi]very well said, my post was supposed to have the person you quoted statement in their as well but didn't work that way, mine was probably too long, sorry if you took what i said the wrong way, but i was including the back and forth on the cleanliness uncleanliness of it and la la ray ray, hmm and ur to right cause i've seen to many people walking around WITH a comb in their hair but only half of it is done while the other half flies every which way, never understood that one. and i wasn't calling you an a-hole i was saying that ALL of our opinions we're like an a-hole meaning the actual anal orifice in that everyone has an opinion on something like we all have an anal opening but this will be to long apologies if u felt slighted, now i'm hungry and all my talk about curry and rundown just making it worse, hope all is well now and i cleared up misgivings Insha Allah[/QUOTE]

I like some locs. I've never liked sisterlocks and I don't like freeform/organic locs.

I considered locing but knew that I would get sick of them and miss styling my hair and end up cutting them off. Maybe I'll start locing when I turn 40.

I think where most people get the idea that locs are dirty is

1. ALOT of them ARE unkept and that ain't cute. Most loc wearers will tell you they are virtually impossible to keep completely clean and lint free. It is accepted by loc wearers that they WILL over time have a certain amount of lint and other particles imbedded in their locs. Some people even use black magic markers to cover the stuff they can't remove. Go on the loc board on nappturality if you think I'm lying.

2. People, including some locers, still believe you cannot wash your hair for months during the inital locing stages. This is simply not the case but alot of people still believe and follow this.

For the poster who said they were gross, just know that in certain circles that would be considered VERY offensive and disrespectful because for some, well alot, dare I say most? loc wearers, it's not a fashion statement. It is symbolic of their religion/spirituality, personal journey, and alot of other deeply personal and sentimental reasons that have nothing to do with aesthetics.

CiaJcanBabi said:
Damian.jpg

Holla girl, he really is CUTE! Def. one of the better looking Marleys!:lick: I look forward to hearing some of his music soon.

I'm pretty sure that there are lint particles within the inside of a dread...

But what's so dirty about lint? :look:
Wouldn't it be clean lint?

BeautifulWideEyes said:
The same thing I always thought, I know I wouldn't want to be the one removing them. ewwwww they just look so creepy and nasty, and just unclean, not to offend anyone. JMO

You are really rude!

If nothing can come out of a dreadlock, how could anything come into the dreadlock? I think dreadlocks that are well taken care of are nice, as with all hair. There are plenty of people without dreadlocks that don't really take good care of their hair...

I knew this thread was going to get ugly.

I guess Ignorance really is bliss for some.

Last edited:
Yall, Please stop calling them dreads. They are locks. The is a lock convention in Philly every October and a natural hair covention in Atlanta in August. These are annual conventions. I have met a lot of beautiful people. All different shades. We are beauties anyway. Why was I so overwhemed.

Yall, Please stop calling them dreads. They are locks. The is a lock convention in Philly every October and a natural hair covention in Atlanta in August. These are annual conventions. I have met a lot of beautiful people. All different shades. We are beauties anyway. Why was I so overwhemed.

PS Locks can be combed out. I saw it done at the convention in Philly. The solution is maufactured in Atlanta however, I can not remeber the name of the product. The locks have to be in a certain age I believe.

Zeal said:

PS Locks can be combed out. I saw it done at the convention in Philly. The solution is maufactured in Atlanta however, I can not remeber the name of the product. The locks have to be in a certain age I believe.

Whats wrong with calling them dreads?:confused: They have been known as dreads for yearssssssss. Locks is one of the nice neat cute mainstream nicknames that just came about recently. Even the REAL rastas in Jamaica are called Bobo Dreads. One of my American friends recently started "locking" his hair and I said to him "Wow ____ I cant believe you have dreads" and he says "They arent dreads....they are locks" Im like ummmmmm okk. Lets know what we are talking about. The term "locks" come from their original name which is..................DREADLOCKS.Caribbean people have been dreading their hair for YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS. If they are fine with them being called dreads than thats what they are. Dreads

But it doesnt matter if they are called locks. . Its just a name like some people say perm and some say relaxer. Same ish but its really a relaxer

Last edited:
Netta1 said:
I knew this thread was going to get ugly.

I guess Ignorance really is bliss for some.

ITA! So sad that some people are very IGNORANT and are unwilling to open up to knew/alternative beauty! I think it would be awesome if we featured more natural FOTMs and it would be wonderful if we had members who have locks, but with some of the attitudes I see here, I can understand if one would not want to join this group...JMO.:)

:lachen:

Was I the only one who imagined the sound of the record "screeching" or whatever it does?

I don't really have anything to say but "damn",
:look:,:nono:, and " why did I wait so long to read this thread?" Great comedic relief. I needed that.

I'm foul lately I never cuss.

Last edited:
I guess I do have something to say:

1. I'm with Catsuga. Since when does lint in the hair equal dirty. We have all had something in our hair (string ,lint) does that mean that our hair was dirty?

2. Uncombed hair doesn't equal dirty to me either. How can uncombed hair automatically mean it's dirty? That doesn't make sense to me. Now hair full of gunk may be dirty but not uncombed hair. When you were little and you're hair was all over the place( wild sleeper, been playing, playing in your hair) Your hair wasn't dirty, it was just uncombed.

sillygurl18 said:
I guess I do have something to say:

1. I'm with Catsuga. Since when does lint in the hair equal dirty. We have all had something in our hair (string ,lint) does that mean that our hair was dirty?

2. Uncombed hair doesn't equal dirty to me either. How can uncombed hair automatically mean it's dirty? That doesn't make sense to me. Now hair full of gunk may be dirty but not uncombed hair. When you were little and you're hair was all over the place( wild sleeper, been playing, playing in your hair) Your hair wasn't dirty, it was just uncombed.

ITA! Good point!

I wore my dreads for 3 1/2 years and they grew to my waist. I took them out a year ago with a knitting needle. When I took out each dread I lost at least 3 inches of length from my actual hair length. So yes, the shedded hair does wrap around the dreads and adds extra length.

blackfoot999 said:
I wore my dreads for 3 1/2 years and they grew to my waist. I took them out a year ago with a knitting needle. When I took out each dread I lost at least 3 inches of length from my actual hair length. So yes, the shedded hair does wrap around the dreads and adds extra length.

SO you maintained most of your length? Thats' awesome, do you have any pics of your hair with or without dreds? TIA:)

Alli77 said:
Yeah, you can have fake hair or even human hair added to dreds. It's called dreadlock extensions, it's for impatient people who don't want to grow out the dreads naturally.

*dust*
*bump*

that's what i've got going now. it's been several months, so far so good and latching the new growth.

i don't feel/look any grosser than i did before.:lol: interesting read tho'

kaybeegee said:
*dust*
*bump*

that's what i've got going now. it's been several months, so far so good and latching the new growth.

i don't feel/look any grosser than i did before.:lol: interesting read tho'

They look great! If you didn't mention that they were extensions I wouldn't have known. Your stylist did a great job, they match your texture perfectly.

Back