Oh her hair is long due to genetics!

Could it be that the 'best hair practices' over there vs here don't work as well?

There are some boards that believe that the only thing your hair needs is juice and berries and if your hair doesn't grow it wasn't meant to. While my own hair needs artificial ingredients and sweeteners to stay on course. If I only used Juice and Berries, I'd have berry length hurr. :grin:

All the women in my family are practically bald headed and they all believe that their hair won't grow because of genetics. I mean all the women on both my dad and mom's side. My mom believed the same about my sister.

She cared for both our hair the same way and she maintained me at WL and my sister could only reach APL. I've never seen my sister's hair longer than apl/bsl (a stretch).

:lachen:When I came to LHCF I was so gungho about the whole hair growing thing. I tried everything once. I was always in my head. That is exhausting and I don't know how anyone could do it for the long run.

I have pruned my reggie down to one wash a week and lazy bunning. If I'm feeling fiesty a braidout:lachen:. I remember being a kid and everyone telling me my hair was so thick. I'm still waiting to see that thickness:look:.

Yes genetics have a part in it, but the handling and care of the hair play a bigger part. I believe that anyone (barring a medical condition) can grow hair that is APL and beyond. Most of the people that struggle with getting to that point tend to have regimen issues. They abuse heat, chemicals, detangle rough, manipulate way too much, etc.

I don't think that just because someone has hair past their shoulders it's due to "good genes".

I'm half and half on this subject.

Genetics play a role. genetics always play a role, in everything that we're born with.

HOWEVER, I attribute the difference between Genetics and Effort to the same difference between Talent and Skill.

Some people are genetically predisposed to be good at math. That means that talented Max spends 30 minutes on math hw gets an A+, while Robert has to spend 2 hours to get the same A+.

With that said, someone who spends time and discipline to develop any skill WILL eventually become great. Greatness is discipline over time, NOT just talent.

So, my biggest issue with the genetics argument, is I think people use it as a crutch to say that something is not possible for them because they are genetically disadvantaged.....I truly believe that 90% of the time, that is simply NOT true (extreme cases excluded). I'm sorry but I refuse to believe that 7 out of 10 ethnic women have hair that "doesn't grow" or only grows at ".25 inches" per month. Because I hear that story wayyy too often.

I refuse to believe it. That's like saying one cannot lose weight because of genetics. I can promise you that if you want to lose weight badly enough, and you eat purely vegetables and seafood for 6 months, come back and look me in the eye and tell me that you haven't lost weight.

There is: Protective Styling, deep conditioning, growth aids, general supplements, eating habits, patience etc.

Often times I find that it's not a matter of chance..., it's a matter of HOW BADLY DO YOU WANT IT??. People who are eager enough will do whatever it takes to achieve a goal.

Even if it takes you longer, more effort, more patience, than someone else, it is STILL possible. Anything is possible for people who are hungry enough.

I agree. In the case with my sis and other family members. It's like if you do this your hair could be to your waist. I am %100 sure. Why cause I know they have average or above average growth rates. Retention is the key. So about 7 out of 10 women can get past arm-pit.

Unfortunately, am the 3 out of 10 women with a slow growth rate. I'm still a believer that most women can get to waist-length if they tried. Maybe not me but I am still going to try.

I am the poster child for slow growing hair. It took me 5 years to get to waist length and only a few months for me to mess it up with too much heat, but I digress.

Me and my mother got good ole fashioned no euphemisms needed nappy hair. My hair never went past my shoulders until I was over 30, my mothers never went past her shoulders until she was 70.

When I started moms on a regimen that got her to bsl, her own sister, let the words "you got the Indian hair in our family" come out of her mouth. Apparently Indian genes lay dorment for decades until after you stop abusing your hair.

I don't dispute genetics when it comes to growth rate. I fully dispute peoples ability to retain what grows out of their head, especially if it's less than APL.

Science doesn't lie. Your hair could also be long due to healthy hair practices along with DNA. The anagen phase is determined by genetics. Some people do nothing to have long hair while others have to maintain healthy hair practices. And yes scientifically speaking genetics do play a part in how long someone's hair can grow. Gene That Regulates Hair Growth Identified The anagen phase is known as the growth phase. It begins in the papilla and can last from two to six years. The span at which the hair remains in this stage of growth is determined by genetics. The regulation of human hair growth is one of the most mysterious of biologic events. Genetic factors are responsible for the density, length, color and texture of hair.

This is referencing growth phase, we are discussion growth rates here.

Woooooooooo cihile........:lachen:

Your aunt sounds like somebody I know :lol:

QUOTE=Crackers Phinn;19125725]I am the poster child for slow growing hair. It took me 5 years to get to waist length and only a few months for me to mess it up with too much heat, but I digress.

Me and my mother got good ole fashioned no euphemisms needed nappy hair. My hair never went past my shoulders until I was over 30, my mothers never went past her shoulders until she was 70.

When I started moms on a regimen that got her to bsl, her own sister, let the words "you got the Indian hair in our family" come out of her mouth. Apparently Indian genes lay dorment for decades until after you stop abusing your hair.

I don't dispute genetics when it comes to growth rate. I fully dispute peoples ability to retain what grows out of their head, especially if it's less than APL.[/QUOTE]

I am the poster child for slow growing hair. It took me 5 years to get to waist length and only a few months for me to mess it up with too much heat, but I digress.

So many people wish it only took them 5 years to get to WL :grin:, assuming that you started with short to no hair. WL is estimated to take 4 years with 100% retention, so assuming you had slip ups and maybe trims along the way, I don't know if being only a year off suggests that you are a slow grower (unless you've got mad retention skills that you need to share :lol:). I'm not a slow grower, and at a month away from 6 years of growing my hair out, MBL is the longest I've gotten :ohwell:.

Last edited:
This is referencing growth phase, we are discussion growth rates here.

Hair grows in cycles of various phases anagen is the growth phase It is the only phase that deals with actual growing.; catagen phase signals the end of the growth cycle meaning your hair won't grow anymore until all the other phases are complete; and telogen, is the resting phase (when the hair falls or sheds) thus why we shed up to 100 strand of hair a day.

I am sure the "Science Of Black Hair" covers this. This is nothing new.

Anagen Phase
Anagen is the active growth phase of hair follicles[10] during which the root of the hair is dividing rapidly, adding to the hair shaft. During this phase the hair grows about 1 cm every 28 days. Scalp hair stays in this active phase of growth for 2–7 years and is genetically determined. At the end of the anagen phase an unknown signal causes the follicle to go into the catagen phase.

Catagen phase
The catagen phase is a short transition stage that occurs at the end of the anagen phase.[11] It signals the end of the active growth of a hair. This phase lasts for about 2–3 weeks while the hair converts to a club hair. A club hair is formed during the catagen phase when the part of the hair follicle in contact with the lower portion of the hair becomes attached to the hair shaft. This process cuts the hair off from its blood supply and from the cells that produce new hair. When a club hair is completely formed, about a 2 week process, the hair follicle enters the telogen phase.

Telogen Phase
The telogen phase is the resting phase of the hair follicle. When the body is subjected to extreme stress, as much as 70 percent of hair can prematurely enter a phase of rest, called the telogen phase. This hair begins to fall, causing a noticeable loss of hair. This condition is called telogen effluvium. The club hair is the final product of a hair follicle in the telogen stage, and is a dead, fully keratinized hair. Fifty to one-hundred club hair are shed daily from a normal scalp.

Hair Growth Cycle Times
Scalp: The time these phases last varies from person to person. Different hair colour and follicle shape affects the timings of these phases.

anagen phase: 2–6 years (occasionally much longer)
catagen phase: 2–3 weeks
telogen phase: around 3 months
Eyebrows etc.:
anagen phase: 4–7 months
catagen phase 3–4 weeks
telogen phase, about 9 months

ckisland I know you wasn't trying to be mean.A lot of people just don't understand how your growth rate can be less than average. I was watching a naturals YouTube, and a commenter was like that's all the hair you have after being natural for 3 years? She responded with not everyone is focused on growth and how everyone's hair grows at different rates.
"Average" is just that, average...some are above, some are at the average and others are below. The average of 1/2 inch, 1/4 inch and 3/4 inch is half an inch...I wish I was a 3/4 but I think I'm somewhere in between the 1/4 and 1/2. Because I know where I am on the growth spectrum, if I want long hair I have to wait a little longer than a faster grower and make nice with my hair, scalp and diet to help retain what has already grown and is growing. I also recognize that it doesn't take much for me to look like my hair is not growing if I'm not making nice.

^^^ I know all of that. :look:

In this thread, I think we are discussing genetics and growth rate not genetics and length of growth phase.

^ I thought we were talking about genetics and long hair or lack thereof, which includes growth rate and growth phase.

Ive been seeing people say this recently(def not on here because we know better) and Im wondering if there's some type of study that proves that genetics has very little to do with someone having long hair. Im really tired of people saying this i just want to refer them to the link whenever i hear such ignorance. :look:

Just a thought: Im aware genetics has a lot to do with density, texture and growth cycle(related to everyone's terminal length) but nothing to do with the actual growth.

Actullay it does have a lot to do with growth cause once anagen phase is completed our hair no longer grows.

An unknown signal causes the follicle to go into the catagen phase (your hair doesn't grow in the catagen phase). In the catagen phase your hair follicle cuts of the blood/oxygen to the hair strand (But it will still stay on your head). In the telogen phase (it falls off your head).

I %100 understand where you are coming from though. If the average person can grow 6 inches in a year. And someone's hair is past SL, APL etc they like she mixed or she got some good genes.

When in reality 7 out 10 black women can grow their hair long with healthy hair practices. I was a believer that I could make it to waist length in 4+ years. It just ain't gonna happen but I am still going to care for my hair like it was waist length.

The study has already been scientifically proven. Check out any library or "The Science Of Black Hair"

^^^ I thought it was rate as the focus was on how many inches per month/year.

It seems like this thread has been a mix of the whole shebang :lol:. I've mentioned length of growth phase and so have other posters, and others have focused on monthly rate. I don't think talking about one alone is as useful as considering both factors. Growing 0.5" a month with an anagen phase of 2 years will still leave you shorter than getting 0.25" a month with a 6 year growth phase. Both inches per month and the time span your hair will grow are both genetically set and crucial for how much total hair length a person can have.

Here is a video from Audrey author of "The Science Of Black Hair" She is very excited to explain all of this. She is a scientist and a former master contributor (sistaslick) to some of the practices on LHCF.

I am no scientist there are 4 phases instead of three. Learned something new already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVrxwmYuSNc
In this video, we go through the basics of hair growth cycles-- what they are, and how they work. We discuss the 4 basic things you need to know about how our hair really grows. Want more info? Full

Last edited:
I'm loving the informed posts on here ladies! Let's keep up the debate! :lol:

Just for fun, here is something I would like an answer for:

1) There are people who claim they can't reach SL after years right? Let's say that SL is about 4 inches (measuring just the back) for most people. Even if "joan schmoe" only had 1/4 an inch per month growth rate (which is obviously rare), and had an anagen phase of only 2 years (which is also rare). Then "joan schmoe" should STILL have 6 inches of hair total. So, based on the studies that all the ladies here have shown, that would mean that the people who make such a claim are not doing something right. No? Lets debate this! lol

2) Genetics can be influenced.

- the anagen cycle CAN be extended with MSM and other growth aids.
-Meanwhile "damage caused by excessive heat, coloring agents, and relaxers may also produce follicle damage that results in less functional follicles".

The point that I'm making is...there are MANY factors that determine hair growth not just genetics. Genetics are what we're born with, but it doesn't mean that it can't be influenced! Therefore, genetics play a role in our hair growth patterns/cycles, but they're not the ultimate factor in what can be achieved.

Actullay it does have a lot to do with growth cause once anagen phase is completed our hair no longer grows.

An unknown signal causes the follicle to go into the catagen phase (your hair doesn't grow in the catagen phase). In the catagen phase your hair follicle cuts of the blood/oxygen to the hair strand (But it will still stay on your head). In the telogen phase (it falls off your head).

I %100 understand where you are coming from though. If the average person can grow 6 inches in a year. And someone's hair is past SL, APL etc they like she mixed or she got some good genes.

When in reality 7 out 10 black women can grow their hair long with healthy hair practices. I was a believer that I could make it to waist length in 4+ years. It just ain't gonna happen but I am still going to care for my hair like it was waist length.

The study has already been scientifically proven. Check out any library or "The Science Of Black Hair"

I'm loving the informed posts on here ladies! Let's keep up the debate! :lol:

Just for fun, here is something I would like an answer for:

1) There are people who claim they can't reach SL after years right? Let's say that SL is about 4 inches (measuring just the back) for most people. Even if "joan schmoe" only had 1/4 an inch per month growth rate (which is obviously rare), and had an anagen phase of only 2 years (which is also rare). Then "joan schmoe" should STILL have 6 inches of hair total. So, based on the studies that all the ladies here have shown, that would mean that the people who make such a claim are not doing something right. No? Lets debate this! lol

2) Genetics can be influenced.

- the anagen cycle CAN be extended with MSM and other growth aids.
-Meanwhile "damage caused by excessive heat, coloring agents, and relaxers may also produce follicle damage that results in less functional follicles".

The point that I'm making is...there are MANY factors that determine hair growth not just genetics. Genetics are what we're born with, but it doesn't mean that it can't be influenced! Therefore, genetics play a role in our hair growth patterns/cycles, but they're not the ultimate factor in what can be achieved.

I 'm rare and my hair does grow 1/4 inch a month. Shoulder length is not 4 inches. I believe all or most your hair should be touching your shoulders as well. Anything else to me is NL. I was shoulder length how you describe (my hair was about 3-4.5 inches in 2 years). It took years for me to get to full shoulder length. Most of my hair touches or goes past my shoulder. Even still around my crown is not full shoulder. A few sections that are 2-3 inches from armpit. I stay under wigs or in braids 85% of the time. I don't want to mess up my progress. Let's be real let some if some one was on here claiming shoulder length with a shag. (It would turn into a gate)

The things is all these other factors can be changed or controlled. Thus showing greater growth rate. Genetics is not the end all be all to increasing hair growth. (That's the puzzle each person gets to put together for themselves) that's when experiments, hard work, and dedication come in.

I was popping vitamins, eating a high protein diet, using sulfur mixes, wild growth, and exercising. Now somebody else can do that and hit waist length in 1 year from shoulder length.

So many people wish it only took them 5 years to get to WL :grin:, assuming that you started with short to no hair. WL is estimated to take 4 years with 100% retention, so assuming you had slip ups and maybe trims along the way, I don't know if being only a year off suggests that you are a slow grower (unless you've got mad retention skills that you need to share :lol:). I'm not a slow grower, and at a month away from 6 years of growing my hair out, MBL is the longest I've gotten :ohwell:.
5 years felt reaaaaallllll long to me.

I do not have receipts for wsl because I got lazy about updating fotki by that time.

kkkkkn.jpg

I big chopped to go natural so none of the hair in the 2005 pic is on my head in the 2009 pic.

5 years felt reaaaaallllll long to me.

I do not have receipts for wsl because I got lazy about updating fotki by that time.

kkkkkn.jpg

I big chopped to go natural so none of the hair in the 2005 pic is on my head in the 2009 pic.

About how many inches was it? What was your regimen? Your starting hair in 2009 looks lovely.

Also just to be clear, I think that any type 3 or 4 who engages in healthy hair practices can grow their hair between APL to WSL. All of which I consider long hair.

I will concede to genetics when it comes to beyond WSL. TBL and longer may be a serious stretch for the majority. There was a knee length/ fairy princess challenge when I first got here and I have only seen one very short type 3/4 mix child with hair to her knees.

About how many inches was it? What was your regimen? Your starting hair in 2009 looks lovely.

I honestly don't know how many inches are in the picture. Currently my hair is 10 inches. My last relaxer was February 2011. which puts me at .31 inches/month.

regimen was wash 2-3 times a week, baggy the ends with leave in and oil, plop a phony pony on it and wait. I never wore my hair loose when I was natural and the only days I wore my hair down relaxed was that first week after getting a fresh touch up. Then it was back up into a ponytail with the ends tucked under.

Right now I'm natural again and have learned how to install Havana twists so my hair never sees the light of day.

^^^ who wants hair to their knees? :lol: That is guaranteed to look crazy.

It was during the whole Indian Rapunzel thing that was literally doing hair porn on youtube.

Quite frankly the thought of hair on my head being long enough to accidentally slip into the toilet gives me bad drams.

I believe that 3s and above are genetically "luckier" in the hair growing department BUT that doesn't mean that the rest of us can't have long hair. It means that type 4s have to have rock solid regimen to reach the same length a type 3 reaches in a shorter time.

Genetics IMO plays a big role.

1. The curlier your hair, the more manipulation required to style it. More manipulation = more damage. That is why people with naturally straight hair can almost effortlessly have APL+ hair if they dont abuse it with heat or color. Basically, the curlier your hair, the more careful you have to be.

2. Growth rate: Some people, regardless of race just grow faster then others.

3. Hair profile: People with stronger strands can withstand manipulation better and therefore are not as susceptible to breakage as really fine hair.

Using myself as an example... My hair is really fine and really really kinky. Takes a LOT of manipulation to style as a natural head. Retention for me is easier when relaxed cos even though my relaxed strands are "weaker" and "more damaged" than my natural strands, I manipulate it a lot less and a lot easier so better retention. Of course, I cant use any heat cos it all falls apart from there. My natural strands require me to be super gentle, be extra patient and stay away from the heat,keep protein in my reggie in order to achieve maximum retention. Others have strands that are so rigid, they don't have to do any of the above so it all depends.

I have my theories but honestly, I can't tell you if genetics play a part because I look around at my family and have no one to compare self too. That's partly because they could care less about hair. Well, let me take that back. They care but are unwilling to put in the work. So.....the only growth & retention I can assess is that of my own.

:lachen:
But what about those chicks who flatiron multiple times a week and only use shampoo with gorgeous WL hair, or those who trim 0.5" every month and still manage to retain 5-6 in. a year? And what about the ladies DCing, spending 3 hours gently fingerdetangling, PSing yet are stuck at SL because their hair is fine and super curly and will just break no matter what, and/or they only get 0.25" a month? If your hair grows 0.25" a month and have a growth phase of 3 years, 9 in of hair is the max length you'd be able to retain :ohwell:. I wish there was a test that could tell you exactly how much you grew a month and how long your growth phase was. It would save a lot of years of struggling and being frustrated trying to hit goals you can't physically make anyway.

This is me all the way. My hair might grow about .25"/mo and retention is like swimming upstream. Don't let a setback happen and I can lose 1-2 years just like that. :lol:

I believe that genetics does have a lot to do with ease of retention and what not but its not the only thing. For instance: I know my genetics wants me to have short hair because of how thin and fine it is and how hard it is to retain length but I take extra extra care to make sure my hair is healthy.

I believe that genetics does have a lot to do with ease of retention and what not but its not the only thing. For instance: I know my genetics wants me to have short hair because of how thin and fine it is and how hard it is to retain length but I take extra extra care to make sure my hair is healthy.

Yeah, genes want me to be bald :lol: My hair is fine and it breaks easily which is why I am getting serious about henna-ing.

Back