Not Answering Your Phone

Country gal

Okay, ladies. A big pet peeve I have with men and people in general. I hate it when I call someone and they don't pick up the phone. My family does it all the time. They hear the phone, see who it is and don't pick up. I have a friend. We come from two different schools of thought. If I have company, I will still answer the phone and just tell the caller I have company. Or I will be slick and have my phone on quiet or vibrate. My friend will choose not to answer the phone and will call back later.

I had another male friend. I was spending the night at his house, someone called 3am in the morning. He didn't pick up the phone. I asked him why he didn't answer the phone. He was like I had company. I guess I always have somebody in my place or hanging out so I always just answer the phone.

Last edited:
I do what your friend does. If I have company I hardly ever pick up the phone or text.

I know it's courteous to give your company your full attention. I guess I was programmed to have bad manners because I will pick up the phone. The reason I do it so that way I don't get a call on the cell phone and then a call on the house phone and then an email.

I am not trying to change the man, that's just how he operates. I was trying to explain to him what women think is up when they know this is going on.

I usually don't pick up the phone. My Mom always said that if it's important, they'll either call back or leave a message. If they don't it couldn't have been that important.

I will say that I get irritated if I'm hanging out one on one with someone and they answer the phone though. I also find it awkward. It's like um okay... I guess I'll pretend to be interested in this plant while you try to explain to your friend that you're out and get them to hang up.

I usually don't pick up the phone. My Mom always said that if it's important, they'll either call back or leave a message. If they don't it couldn't have been that important.

I will say that I get irritated if I'm hanging out one on one with someone and they answer the phone though. I also find it awkward. It's like um okay... I guess I'll pretend to be interested in this plant while you try to explain to your friend that you're out and get them to hang up.
:lachen::lachen: I know I know it is rude. It's my programming. Would it be bad to just text message versus answer the phone.

:lachen:
Yeah, my mom always told me the SAME thing. If they call right back then I will answer it coz I figure it's something serious. But I also hate when people answer the phone and have a LONG conversation!

I do that too. If it is important, I feel like they will leave a message.

You sound just like me with that one. And everyone that knows me understands:yep:.Alot of the time I just don't feel like talking....so instead of being half attentive to the person on the other end...I just call them back when I'm able to give them the attention they need. I'm on the phone all day with work...the last thing I want to do when I get home, is get right back on the sucker.

We are bad about not answering the phone at my house. When I had dialup that was my excuse, can't use that anymore.

You sound just like me with that one. And everyone that knows me understands:yep:.Alot of the time I just don't feel like talking....so instead of being half attentive to the person on the other end...I just call them back when I'm able to give them the attention they need. I'm on the phone all day with work...the last thing I want to do when I get home, is get right back on the sucker.

I am on the phone too at work. I don't have a lot of convos. I am bad too at falling asleep on the phone when talking late at night. I would rather fall asleep on the phone than to not talk. I was told falling asleep was not polite or cute.:lachen:

I do what your friend does. If I have company I hardly ever pick up the phone or text.

...and anyone that does constantly text or pick up their phone, or check their phone, loses major points.

Its one thing to let someone know "I'm expecting a phone call that I may have to take" and its another thing to jump every time you think you hear a buzzing noise...

I get like that.

I'm in this phase right now that i don't feel like talking to folk. I didn't answer my phone all day yesterday. Saw it ring, looked at it and went right on back to doing what i was doing.

Sometimes you just don't feel like talking. And that's exactly what i say when they ask me why i didnt pick up or ask where i was.

"I was right here, i just didn't feel like talking.."

A lot of folks screen their calls too. Got a friend that does that. I call and I already know that he won't pick up. So i let it ring and hang up.

3 minutes later he will call me back. I do that sometimes too. If u dont leave a messgage then i know u really didnt want anything either.

I will answer phone for certain people during day. Bill collectors know drill answering machine only. LOL If it is emergency my family/friends will call cell phone.

I don't answer my hardly at all. I think it is because with my job I talk to people all day and when I get home I just don't like talking. I try to wind down with a glass of wine or something but I don't want to talk. I do the same with my cell. Eveyone knows if it is an emergency to text me and I respond. :grin:

I dont answer my fone lol even when im by myself chilling but i'll text asking what do u want?? hahaha no im only joking (a little bit) but i dont like talking on the fone much anymore

My sis is like that big time. She will look at the caller ID, and decide to answer or not, if not goes back to what she was doing. Sometimes if she is busy she doenst even bother to look. So all the family knows so we yell at her though the voice mail and tell her to pick the phone..... :ohwell::drunk:

Okay, ladies. A big pet peeve I have with men and people in general. I hate it when I call someone and they don't pick up the phone. My family does it all the time. They hear the phone, see who it is and don't pick up. I have a friend. We come from two different schools of thought. If I have company, I will still answer the phone and just tell the caller I have company. Or I will be slick and have my phone on quiet or vibrate. My friend will choose not to answer the phone and will call back later.

I had another male friend. I was spending the night at his house, someone called 3am in the morning. He didn't pick up the phone. I asked him why he didn't answer the phone. He was like I had company. I guess I always have somebody in my place or hanging out so I always just answer the phone.

Hey Country Gal,

Not being nosey and maybe OT of your question, but is your male friend someone you are dating?

If so, I would want to know who is calling him at 3am an why he couldn't answer the phone.

But to answer your question, it depends! If its a person that I know can chat away and when you tell them that you have to call them back and that message goes straight out the window, because they keep on talking then I simply don't answer, because they just don't get it! But in most cases even when I do have company I answer the phone.

...and anyone that does constantly text or pick up their phone, or check their phone, loses major points.

Its one thing to let someone know "I'm expecting a phone call that I may have to take" and its another thing to jump every time you think you hear a buzzing noise...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:lachen:

Hey Country Gal,

Not being nosey and maybe OT of your question, but is your male friend someone you are dating?

If so, I would want to know who is calling him at 3am an why he couldn't answer the phone.

But to answer your question, it depends! If its a person that I know can chat away and when you tell them that you have to call them back and that message goes straight out the window, because they keep on talking then I simply don't answer, because they just don't get it! But in most cases even when I do have company I answer the phone.

The 3am guy was someone I was dating previously. No together anymore. Some one new I am dating doesn't like to answer his phone if he has company. I am the opposite.

The 3am guy was someone I was dating previously. No together anymore. Some one new I am dating doesn't like to answer his phone if he has company. I am the opposite.

Okay, I dated a guy like that. I was over his house late one night and he wouldn't answer his cell phone. I am a very curious person and wanted to know who was on the opposite end.

Okay, I dated a guy like that. I was over his house late one night and he wouldn't answer his cell phone. I am a very curious person and wanted to know who was on the opposite end.

Yep. I am like that too. Just too nosy for my own good. I want to watch your mannerisms while you are on the call.

Back