NON LATEX CONDOMS?

taytay86

Ladies,

Durex has a new non latex polyisoprene (avanti) condom - I am very interested in trying it because my man and I hate the feel of plastic. I just wonder how safe it is? Have any of you tried non latex condoms and had issues?

TIA

I have my suspicions about the rise of chlamydia and the usage of latex condoms but that's another matter. I used Durex when I was sexually active, better feel and heat transmission I thought. The Durex is good for pregnancy prevention but has less elasticity and I do think there is controversy about STD transmission. Be careful with breakage.

I spoke to a health counselor at school and she recommended I try them b/c I have an allergy to some latex brands. She said they are just as safe for pregnancy prevention and STD prevention. Some other materials, lambskin, etc are somewhat porus so they aren't as effective. I'm not sexually active so I haven't tried the non latex but I'm sure there is lots of research on them.

Yep, Me and Hubby have tried just about EVERY condom you can think of. Me and his FAVORITE condom is Trojan Lambskin Condom (It Does NOT PROTECT againist Diseases...it is only for pregnancy prevention) i suggest if you do try it get it online because it is really expensive and the best deals are online. Also the Trojan Supra was pretty good to, but was a lil to "snug" for us. we don't do durex because it always breaks when hubby puts it on :rolleyes:

Interesting :bump: for more responses. When I was sexually active I use latex condoms but I did have an allergic reaction to a few before.

Yep, Me and Hubby have tried just about EVERY condom you can think of. Me and his FAVORITE condom is Trojan Lambskin Condom (It Does NOT PROTECT againist Diseases...it is only for pregnancy prevention) i suggest if you do try it get it online because it is really expensive and the best deals are online. Also the Trojan Supra was pretty good to, but was a lil to "snug" for us. we don't do durex because it always breaks when hubby puts it on :rolleyes:

Girl don't you know that Durex are "baby making" condoms!:lachen:

Thanks Ladies:

BrooklynSouth - please go into detail, I would love to hear what you have to say re: latex and STDs

Im-in-Love-with-Guitars - how do the lambskin condoms feel? Just the sound, lambskin kinda turns me off. Why does it protect against pregnancy and not STD?

I also noticed Trojan BARE - but they were all gone lol - anyone try those?

I have an issue with the condom getting 'dry' which causes a burning sensation after a long session. No matter how turned on I am, I find when he pulls out and goes back in, that's when it starts. Anyone have that issue??? I found that durex was the only one that didn't bother me. It's not the best, but it's better than Trojan I think.

Thanks Ladies:

BrooklynSouth - please go into detail, I would love to hear what you have to say re: latex and STDs

Im-in-Love-with-Guitars - how do the lambskin condoms feel? Just the sound, lambskin kinda turns me off. Why does it protect against pregnancy and not STD?

I also noticed Trojan BARE - but they were all gone lol - anyone try those?

I have an issue with the condom getting 'dry' which causes a burning sensation after a long session. No matter how turned on I am, I find when he pulls out and goes back in, that's when it starts. Anyone have that issue??? I found that durex was the only one that didn't bother me. It's not the best, but it's better than Trojan I think.
They feel GREAT :lachen:its VERY similar to without a condom (not quite, but as close as your gonna get while wearing one IMO), and yes ALOT of people get turned of by it being lambskin, BUT we didn't :grin: (i say didn't because im preggo now,so theres no need for them NOW), and from what all the sites say i believe because the "pores" of the lambskin is still big enough for the HIV/AIDS virus to seep in through BUT is not going to allow you to get pregnant....OH and another benefit to lambskins are they are VERY WELL LUBED so no need for additional Lube EVER.

They feel GREAT :lachen:its VERY similar to without a condom (not quite, but as close as your gonna get while wearing one IMO), and yes ALOT of people get turned of by it being lambskin, BUT we didn't :grin: (i say didn't because im preggo now,so theres no need for them NOW), and from what all the sites say i believe because the "pores" of the lambskin is still big enough for the HIV/AIDS virus to seep in through BUT is not going to allow you to get pregnant....OH and another benefit to lambskins are they are VERY WELL LUBED so no need for additional Lube EVER.

Hummmm....pores will let HIV through but not semen? OK:ohwell:

Doesn't look like there is a 'space' for semen like the latex, and since there is no 'ring' how does it stay on? I hear people complaining about the smell...I can see that. Having animal membrane in my vagina just doesn't sell to me.

What brand do you use?

Last edited:
Hummmm....pores will let HIV through but not semen? OK:ohwell:

Doesn't look like there is a 'space' for semen like the latex, and since there is no 'ring' how does it stay on? I hear people complaining about the smell...I can see that. Having animal membrane in my vagina just doesn't sell to me.

What brand do you use?
Its hard to explain BUT it def. has space for the semen even though their is no "designated" space and it kind of "molds" to the penis once he puts it on...and LOL i don't know which ones there using BUT i have never smelled anything. Its one of those things you have to try with an open mind, If all you keep thinking is "eww animal membrane" you will always get grossed out by it; SO if it freaks you out that much i would say maybe try the "trojan supra" that is polyurethane material (and does protect againist diseases). maybe try a non latex sample pack, that way you can no for sure what you like, heres a great site i have ordered here a couple times http://www.undercovercondoms.com/Condoms/Variety/141/Non-Latex-Sampler.html

Thanks ladies, now I have more options whenever I become sexually active again. I have had success with Trojan sensitive (purple pack) and I also like the ones in the (grey pack) because they have spermacide.

My former partner really like the Trojan sensitve (purple) he said it felt like he didn't have anything on and he could really feel the warmth.

I think I may purchase a variety pack and try others. I like to purchase my own condoms because I know there history.

Trojan's have come a long way. When I was a teen they had a very strong rubber smell. I was with my ex for over 12 years and during that time, I guess they figured out how to get rid of that horrible smell. I dreaded going back to condoms for that very reason, but I really had no choice.

I went to Shoppers Drug Mart last night, and they still didn't have the item in stock! I spoke with one of the merchandisers, and he said out of Durex BARE, Trojan Supra and Lifestyle (whatever their bare brand is) He prefers the Durex. I remember when Avanti used to come in a pack of 5 for some ridiculous price. It's 20% off now so I am definitely willing to try them.

OK, so I tried them here are my thoughts:

Brand: Durex Avanti

Pros: nice packaging, both box and condom wrapper. They really make you think you're getting some special.
Boyfriend said it felt slightly thinner, but no major difference. He also said he could tell that it was not a latex condom

Cons: It didn't feel any different to me, I actually noticed it wasn't as lubricated and felt like it was getting dry!:perplexed huge no no for me. I'm thinking I will give it one more try, but there is no reason why I will spend 7 dollars more for the same amount of latex condoms.

DH loves the Trojan lambskin too but with 2 issues: the drawstring and also the constant checking to make sure it was still on. They really do feel like nothing is there.

Oh, and the smell can be a turn off.

Back