NJOY'S HAIR CONCOTION CHALLENGE

Thanks ladies for the responses. I think I can give it a try if I approach it the way pinkunshine77 does. I was unsure because I wasn't sure if I could protective style for 4-6 mos straight, but since now I have options I think I can deal.

I'm in, as soon as I get everything I need by Sunday! My concoction will be:

1 heaping tbps of Sublimed sulfur
6 oz of JBCO
2 oz of Hemp Seed oil
2 oz of Olive Oil
2-4 drops of Peppermint Oil
2-4 drops of Lavender Oil
2-4 drops of Clary Sage Oil
2-4 drops of Sage Oil
2-4 drops of Rosemary Oil
2-4 drops of Red Thyme Oil
2-4 drops of Cedar Wood Oil

Thanks ladies for the responses. I think I can give it a try if I approach it the way pinkunshine77 does. I was unsure because I wasn't sure if I could protective style for 4-6 mos straight, but since now I have options I think I can deal.

:) I can't imagine trying to style it so on your days off, you could put it on say, early in the morning, and then that night wash it out, then the rest of the week your hair is free so to speak. Thats the only way I've been able to manage. I tried baggying in the past, and my hair just doesn't like it. I might try it again,but only 2x or less weekly.

Which challenge are you in, 4 or 6 month?
~ I'm doing the 4 month challenge.
Which mixture will you use?
~ I'll use Njoy's recipe with one exception. Regular organic castor oil instead of jbco.
If relaxed, how many weeks post?
~I can't figure out where I stand on relaxing. I'm 5 Weeks post right now. I'll just relax when I feel like it or keep transitioning if that works. Consider me an extreme work in progress. :-)

I have everything except my castor oil and sulfur and
the pharmacy will have them tomorrow! Let's do this guys! Can you tell how excited I am?

i just ordered my sulfur... unfortunately, the pharmacies i called wouldn't order it... luckily, i got free shipping so i guess it worked out... :)

Which challenge are you in, 4 or 6 month? I am going to attempt the 4 mos challenge.
Which mixture will you use? NJoy's mix

If relaxed, how many weeks post? Sep. 1 I will be 5 and 1/2 weeks post

Will post starting pic b/4 Sept 1

I already have another question for you ladies. I am relaxed and my schedule is to relax the week of October 29 can I relax with this challenge, using the rule of thumb to stop using it about 7 days prior and nothing for 7 days after I relax.

I already have another question for you ladies. I am relaxed and my schedule is to relax the week of October 29 can I relax with this challenge, using the rule of thumb to stop using it about 7 days prior and nothing for 7 days after I relax.

you got it correct

I'm tempted to start back with my oil this week but I just relaxed and flat ironed and darn it, I'm trying to preserve this sleekness a couple of days .

I thought it was just me!!! I'm ready to start too!! And don't have sulphur in yet or powder the first :nono: .......I need to calm my behind down! :lachen:

I'm glad you mentioned this, I didn't know anything about a 7 day before or after relaxer rule. Is there some awful reaction with sulphur and the relaxer chemical? This is news to me.

I'm glad you mentioned this, I didn't know anything about a 7 day before or after relaxer rule. Is there some awful reaction with sulphur and the relaxer chemical? This is news to me.

Yes from what I am learning it is important to give your scalp a break before and after any chemical process when using growth aids. This give the scalp time to level out to normal and help to prevent any irritation. I am sure some of the other ladies who are more knowledgeable in this area will pop in and provide more detail.

I'm in, as soon as I get everything I need by Sunday! My concoction will be:

1 heaping tbps of Sublimed sulfur
6 oz of JBCO
2 oz of Hemp Seed oil
2 oz of Olive Oil
2-4 drops of Peppermint Oil
2-4 drops of Lavender Oil
2-4 drops of Clary Sage Oil
2-4 drops of Sage Oil
2-4 drops of Rosemary Oil
2-4 drops of Red Thyme Oil
2-4 drops of Cedar Wood Oil

Just a question for clarification....does the recipe call for TSP (teaspoon) or TBSP (tablespoon). Sulfur is no joking matter, and I wouldnt want ill effects from using too much as often as we plan on using it??:nono:

@NJoy, PinkSunshine77, anyone??:perplexed

greenandchic, I've been using HTGE + Sulphur for the past 6 month and have had no I'll effects and it's significantly helped fill in my edges. I ordered a 32 oz bottle and I have about 1/5th left, it's the pound cake scented one.

@greenandchic, I've been using HTGE + Sulphur for the past 6 month and have had no I'll effects and it's significantly helped fill in my edges. I ordered a 32 oz bottle and I have about 1/5th left, it's the pound cake scented one.

Thanks for the feedback!

Do you dilute it with other oils, or do you use the HTGE straight with the sulfur?

greenandchic, I used it straight for three months, and then the past 3 months I've added other essential oils or other oils to it that HTGE didn't contain like peppermint oil, rosemary, emu oil, ect. Every time that I refill my 6oz bottle, I change the formula slightly, but I only add in a few drops of each essential oils in order to insure that I have a good essential oil to carrier oil ratio.

Re: NJOY'S HAIR CONCOTION CHALLENGE 2012

NJoy already knows I was going to be trying her recipe. It will be fun to have other people to compare progress and massage techniques with :grin:.

Where are you all getting your organic jojoba oil from?

Please share the following:
Which challenge are you in, 4 or 6 month?
6 months

Which will be in your mixture?
NJoy's. I might add some more essential oils since I have them (rosemary, basil, ylang ylang, lavender, peppermint) and maybe a fragrance oil if I need to.
If different, show your recipe
Starting pic
I'll add one right before we start :).
If relaxed, how many weeks post?
Nope. 17 months since my last relaxer and now newly natural!

Last edited:
I got my organic jojoba oil from a local natural foods Co-op. I also saw it online at vitacost. I'd be more than happy to send you a friend link so we both can save $10. This pj-ism adds up, lol.

[USER=42147 said:
bign__17[/USER] ;16684079]Yes from what I am learning it is important to give your scalp a break before and after any chemical process when using growth aids. This give the scalp time to level out to normal and help to prevent any irritation. I am sure some of the other ladies who are more knowledgeable in this area will pop in and provide more detail.

[USER=31551 said:
KaramelDiva1978[/USER] ;16681711]I'm glad you mentioned this, I didn't know anything about a 7 day before or after relaxer rule. Is there some awful reaction with sulphur and the relaxer chemical? This is news to me.

I made the mistake of relaxing without waiting the full 7 days and my head was :burning: Make sure that the sulfur has been washed from your scalp/hair at least 7 days prior to a relaxer. It is not sufficient to simply stop using sulfur for 7 days. Some people actually suggest waiting 2 weeks but I find that 7 days is sufficient. Hope this helps.

QueenAmaka said:
I made the mistake of relaxing without waiting the full 7 days and my head was :burning: Make sure that the sulfur has been washed from your scalp/hair at least 7 days prior to a relaxer. It is not sufficient to simply stop using sulfur for 7 days. Some people actually suggest waiting 2 weeks but I find that 7 days is sufficient. Hope this helps.

It is helpful. Thank you! The instructions from Liquid Gold say wait two weeks before using sulphur and after for the relaxer. I am going to use liquid gold on my daughter's scalp.

Wow, the thank button wasn't enough. Thanks! Because I know I would have been that person who would not have washed it out!

Do we have to wait a certain amount of time after relaxing?

I know this may be a silly question but I'm new and I'm not sure if this is just a scalp treatment or something you apply to your whole head .

Back