Nice, Soft, Smooth Edges/Hairline

naaturelle

Now I hear alot that normally your hairline and your smooth edges is just genetics.... but it be some girl's fotkis I visit and before the transition or during their edges/hairline wasnt as smooth as it looks in their current pictures.

Does anyone know any tips for getting this look?

normally if i let my hair dry by it self my edges roll up into beady bees. i dont like the look so to smooth them out i use a leave in conditioner conditioner and water and tie a scarf on them. then i let it dry. my edges come out straight as if i had baby hairs. i like the baby hair look so this works for me. it doesnt gel as slick as when i used gel but it looks more natural.

I think the reason for smoother edges in later pictures is better styling techniques (like using a scarf or headband to get the hair to lay down) and due to length.

Right after my big chop (and I transitioned a long time so I had enough hair for a ponytail), the hair at the front was the shortest and didn't quite fit comfortably when put in a ponytail. Now all of my hair is long enough that it fits in well and the ponytail helps the edges lay down. When wearing my hair down a scarf tied over freshly washed hair helps the edges lay smoother.

Plus, the better your hair is moisturized the smoother it is. Learning these things often comes with time and the reason why later pics often look better.

some people use wax sticks but that's too much for me. I too use the scarf method. My edges or rather roots in general get dry alot so I don't usually worry about smoothing them down.

Back