Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

Hey ladies, I'm still in the hair growing game. I fell off because I was transfering from Japan to Maryland and had no internet. I also got married and took a little vacation to Jamaica, but I'm back in it now. I have started back with my regi and have joined the Deep Conditioning and Rollersetting Challenges, so hopefully I'll start seeing results soon. One thing I have noticed is that my ends are really dry and starting to tangle so I think it's time for a dusting and some TLC with oil and conditioner. Any other suggestions for ends?

HAPPY GROWING

Yeah, I would dust/trim and make sure to moisturize my ends specifically. You have to pay attention to them b/c it's the oldest part of your hair. Moisturize them daily and keep them protected from the elements. I also put castor oil on mine.

Hey ladies, I'm still in the hair growing game. I fell off because I was transfering from Japan to Maryland and had no internet. I also got married and took a little vacation to Jamaica, but I'm back in it now. I have started back with my regi and have joined the Deep Conditioning and Rollersetting Challenges, so hopefully I'll start seeing results soon. One thing I have noticed is that my ends are really dry and starting to tangle so I think it's time for a dusting and some TLC with oil and conditioner. Any other suggestions for ends?

HAPPY GROWING

Hey, lady! CONGRATS on the wedding!!! I think you definitely need to dust and regular DCs shud help as well...An actual trim might be in order depending on how dry your ends are. I just had to trim over an inch due to the same thing...

Nope!!!!! come on in!!!! :welcome4:
Thanks! I will need to take a starting picture. Here is my regimen:

Prepoo - with olive oil and Herbal Essences, Suave or VO5
Co-Wash - 1x a week
Shampoo - 1x week NTM or CON
DC - 2x a week with ORG olive oil replenishing and / or ORG hair mayo
Leave in - MTN leave in and ORG kids shea butter.
Moisture twice a day - Wave Nouveau and mango butter on the ends and hairline.
Mist throughout the day as needed - aloe vera juice, rosewater or distilled water, and oils mixture. (I live in a very dry climate)
Clarifying - 1x a month with Nexxus aloe rid
Relaxer - every 12 weeks. Next relaxer will be in November.

I rollerset or air dry/flat iron once a week.

Hair Type: 4a/b
Current Length: Layered, longest lengths are SL
Goal Length: Short term, APL . Long term, MBL

found my staples so far for at home care

Motions shampoo
motions lavashing conditioner
Motions leave in conditioner
Minzani Wrap Foam
Alterenate Blow Dry Low Heat Setting/High
Sedu Flat Iron

Salon Visits Every Two Weeks(roller sets only) Relaxer Every 8 Weeks
those are my staples!!!

P.S i am going to start using Apoghee Products pretty soon but for now until they run out i am a motions girl :)

Congrats on the wedding!!!!!! Blessings to you. As for the ends, keep them moisturized. All the time. and seal them. And instead of trimming, try and do a search and destroy, cutting out only the split and raggedy ends.
HAPPY GROWING

Hey all, I'm brand spankin' new! need a home and some help! I'd like to join!

:welcome4:
found my staples so far for at home care

Motions shampoo
motions lavashing conditioner
Motions leave in conditioner
Minzani Wrap Foam
Alterenate Blow Dry Low Heat Setting/High
Sedu Flat Iron

Salon Visits Every Two Weeks(roller sets only) Relaxer Every 8 Weeks
those are my staples!!!

P.S i am going to start using Apoghee Products pretty soon but for now until they run out i am a motions girl :)

How do u like your Sedu? i've been deciding between it or a CHI. also, i use some of Aphogee's products and i like them a lot. i currently use the 2 min reconstructor and the 2 step protein and they work great.

I love this board, everyone is so willing to help! I"m currently doing the MN and herbal tea rinses my hair came out sooo soft. I've only been doing MN for a week and a half and currently my hair is at my collar bone 3 more weeks to see the difference, I've taking pics. I also have a major balding spot in the front, looking for recovery with that. All in all, my awareness and knowledge have grown by leaps and bounds... knowledge is power. I'm reminded of Solomon's admonishment ".... in all your getting, get understanding..." Well, we will see what this "understanding" will do for me--a whole lot I'm believing!!!!

HHG

Hi ladies - I'm checking in as well. Welcome to all who recently joined!

Here's the scoop in my 1st relaxer stretch -
I'm in my 7th week and its going really well! I have been doing braid outs (pinned up cause my hair is short) & buns - since I exercise a lot.

I made my re-touch hair appt. for Oct. 2nd! I will be officially 9 weeks post. I actually wanted a little sooner but couldn't get an appt. I have a conference to attend next week so I might dust off my half wigs. Or would that be too much for my sensitive edges so close to a re-touch???

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I'm finding my hair to be more manageable than I thought - only wish I'd found this board years ago.

Hi ladies - I'm checking in as well. Welcome to all who recently joined!

Here's the scoop in my 1st relaxer stretch -
I'm in my 7th week and its going really well! I have been doing braid outs (pinned up cause my hair is short) & buns - since I exercise a lot.

I made my re-touch hair appt. for Oct. 2nd! I will be officially 9 weeks post. I actually wanted a little sooner but couldn't get an appt. I have a conference to attend next week so I might dust off my half wigs. Or would that be too much for my sensitive edges so close to a re-touch???

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I'm finding my hair to be more manageable than I thought - only wish I'd found this board years ago.

i would stick with the bun and braid outs , i think wearing a half wig the combs might irritate the scalp before a relaxer :grin:

Hi, I'm a newbie and was wondering if I could join too? I just started cowashing this week and I'm loving it. My hair is falling out less and less. I have learned so much, but it's good to feel like I'm not in this alone. Thanks for posting this challenge. Is there some kind of group we can join?

hi ladies, i'm a newbie transitioning can i join in??

You sure can. Just post your regi and starting pic. :welcome3:
Hi, I'm a newbie and was wondering if I could join too? I just started cowashing this week and I'm loving it. My hair is falling out less and less. I have learned so much, but it's good to feel like I'm not in this alone. Thanks for posting this challenge. Is there some kind of group we can join?

:welcome3:
i love my sedu!!! im so afraid to try that protien 2 steap it looks so scary lol

lol, i mainly use the 2 min recon mostly. you only use the 2 step protein every 6 weeks. Very sparingly. That stuff is powerful,lol.

i would stick with the bun and braid outs , i think wearing a half wig the combs might irritate the scalp before a relaxer :grin:

Half wigs don't bother my scalp before I relax. But maybe if you're really, really tenderheaded? lol

ETA: The trick to half wigs is this: Leave more than enough hair out in the front. Put the combs in the front lightly...keep them really loose. Make sure the ones in the back are a little bit tighter and well above your nape. Then take two or three bobby pins and place them on the sides of the wig to hold it together. That way it isn't causing stress directly on your edges, won't put pressure on your hair/scalp and the bobby pins will keep them in place in wind, storm or whatever.

I put my half wigs on over my bun (I'm bunning to BSL) by placing the combs loosely in the front, loosely in the back right under my bun and then adding a headband or scarf around the front. HTH!

Last edited:
Hi Ladies, I'm a newbie, can I join?
I bc'd on Sept 7, 2008, after relaxing
for 39 years. I am loving my natural
hair and it is growing beautifully.

Hi ladies, checking in after what feels like years. School sucks:wallbash:! Welcome to all the newbies. How is everybody doing? I've started to use the OCT for a wk now and my hair feels so great and smells so good everyday:lick:. I haven't experienced extreme shedding yet but I'm not looking forward to that. I hope it's gonna help me retain some length. I use it 3x/wk, cowash w/ VO5 3x/wk and DC 2x/wk. We'll see where this leads me.

Hi ladies, checking in after what feels like years. School sucks:wallbash:! Welcome to all the newbies. How is everybody doing? I've started to use the OCT for a wk now and my hair feels so great and smells so good everyday:lick:. I haven't experienced extreme shedding yet but I'm not looking forward to that. I hope it's gonna help me retain some length. I use it 3x/wk, cowash w/ VO5 3x/wk and DC 2x/wk. We'll see where this leads me.
lol, i agree. School does suck. I hardly have time for here anymore. :( Just want to welcome all the new ladies who have joined. :welcome3:

I figured I would come by and give everyone an update on my hair...

Things have gone sooo wrong Im thinking of giving up :sad:

So like I told you guys before my mom suggested I get a full sew in weave bc of my working hours and going to school. Im usually out the door at 7:45am and home around 11pm.

I figured why not it helps in the mornings I cant just unwrap and go and it would be to protect my hair.

The last time I relaxed was may 24th and my new growth is out of this world I have so much. I had reached my firt goal of APL and was so happy.

On Friday night I decided to take the weave out after 4 weeks and wash treat and and get it re applied.

When I took the weave out I was amazed the growth was crazy and my DH and I couldnt believe the difference.

I went to wash my hair and I guess I didnt comb my hair enough before washing it and the entired things got so tangled it was impossible to undo it.

I tried everything to get the tangle out and it didnt work. The complete left side of my hair felt like I had dreads.

I spent 5 hours trying to save my hair (well the relaxed part of my hair) it didnt work. I had to tear my hair apart and I do mean tear. The hair broke off with the knots and now the left side of my hair is see thru and back to SL while the right side is fine and APL.

I did treat it and re apply the sew in. I really dont know what to do i am sooo mad at myself I actually cried my eyes out.

I dont undestand how could I be so careless. Now Im thinking should I cut everything off and start over? or if I just do major protein treatments and wear wigs so I can treat my hair weekly would that be better? Should I relax since its been 3 months? Did I wait too long to relax? All these things are driving me crazy and makes me just wanna give up this whole hair thing. Im so depress, so confuse :wallbash:

I didn't post in here yet. I am new. I joined this month. I am at chin length in the front, and collarbone length in the back. I am 4a natural, and I am wearing two stranded twists made with Infusium 23 and shea butter (UNREFINED). I made up a challenge for myself to wear it for one year. 365 days. 5 days max twistout. There is a thread on the forum now, for any one who wants to join me...

I decided to K.I.S.S. my hair care regimen, and I am only on a few vitamins. I strayed away from any hair vitamins. I saw most of the features of the month were either not on vitamins or not on hair vitamins per se. If they can get that health and length without vitamins, I think I can too.

I had hair down my back as a kid and the only thing I took was Flinstone vitamins and cod liver oil. I know with the right maintenance I can get my hair back. My goal is APL unstretched. I don't want to be greedy. Anything below APL may be too much for me to handle...

...peace

Hi everyone,
Its been a minute. I think I need to start subscribing to some threads bc without the search feature fully working it takes forever to find threads. Anyways...I'm slowing starting to use up my Carol's Daughter products and I have all of the replacements waiting in the wings. Here's my regi/plan:

Pre poo overnight: HairVeda's Vatika Frosting
Shampoo 1x/wk: CD Rosemary Mint Poo switching to CON (Green)
Co-Wash 1x/wk: HV Moist 24/7 Condish
Chelate 1x/month: Mizani's Phormula 7 Chelating & Neutralizing Poo
Protein Tx 1x/month: HV Moist Pro Condish, EVOO, egg (done this bf with regular condish but not with Protein condish--too much?)
DC 2x/wk with heat: CD Khoret Amen Hair Smoothie then move on to Pantene's R & N Breakage Defense Deep Condtioning Mask and finally switching to HV Sitranillah Mask
Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
Leave In: Just switched to Giovanni Direct yesterday
Moisturizer: CD Hair Milk switching to HV Whipped Creme
Sealant: HV Avosoya Oil
Baggying ends 2x wk with HV Whipped Creme
Heat Protectant: Fantasia IC thinking of switching to Hydrathermal Naturals heat protectant
Airdry then flatiron
I'm contemplating stretching to 12 weeks instead of just 10.

Pr3tty--I would do everything to try and save my hair bf cutting it but I'm new so....

PR3TTY!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your setback!

My advice would be to let a trusted stylist/weaveologist take care of taking the sew-in out. I won't say to stop getting sew-ins because these are what helped me when I was at neck length and couldn't do anything with my hair. Another option (since you're SL) is to bun and/or phony pony for a couple of months. Drink lots of water, take vitamins, and maybe even throw some BT into there. Your hair will bounce back!

Pr3tty, I'm really sorry about your setback but ITA with Galadriel. You should definitely let a professional take care of your hair, at least until it gets healthier. I'm sure you'll get your length back in no time:yep:.

I figured I would come by and give everyone an update on my hair...

Things have gone sooo wrong Im thinking of giving up :sad:

So like I told you guys before my mom suggested I get a full sew in weave bc of my working hours and going to school. Im usually out the door at 7:45am and home around 11pm.

I figured why not it helps in the mornings I cant just unwrap and go and it would be to protect my hair.

The last time I relaxed was may 24th and my new growth is out of this world I have so much. I had reached my firt goal of APL and was so happy.

On Friday night I decided to take the weave out after 4 weeks and wash treat and and get it re applied.

When I took the weave out I was amazed the growth was crazy and my DH and I couldnt believe the difference.

I went to wash my hair and I guess I didnt comb my hair enough before washing it and the entired things got so tangled it was impossible to undo it.

I tried everything to get the tangle out and it didnt work. The complete left side of my hair felt like I had dreads.

I spent 5 hours trying to save my hair (well the relaxed part of my hair) it didnt work. I had to tear my hair apart and I do mean tear. The hair broke off with the knots and now the left side of my hair is see thru and back to SL while the right side is fine and APL.

I did treat it and re apply the sew in. I really dont know what to do i am sooo mad at myself I actually cried my eyes out.

I dont undestand how could I be so careless. Now Im thinking should I cut everything off and start over? or if I just do major protein treatments and wear wigs so I can treat my hair weekly would that be better? Should I relax since its been 3 months? Did I wait too long to relax? All these things are driving me crazy and makes me just wanna give up this whole hair thing. Im so depress, so confuse :wallbash:

I definitely wouldn't just do a major cut, maybe a gradual one. Just keep babying your hair and taking care of it and you will be fine. As far as relaxing, i don't see why you shouldn't. a lot of women have expressed having extra breakage when stretching. Some things just aren't for everyone unfortunately. :sad: I am so sorry about this Pretty. It will be okay. Nothing worth having is easy to obtain, some obstacles are bound to occur.

I didn't post in here yet. I am new. I joined this month. I am at chin length in the front, and collarbone length in the back. I am 4a natural, and I am wearing two stranded twists made with Infusium 23 and shea butter (UNREFINED). I made up a challenge for myself to wear it for one year. 365 days. 5 days max twistout. There is a thread on the forum now, for any one who wants to join me...

I decided to K.I.S.S. my hair care regimen, and I am only on a few vitamins. I strayed away from any hair vitamins. I saw most of the features of the month were either not on vitamins or not on hair vitamins per se. If they can get that health and length without vitamins, I think I can too.

I had hair down my back as a kid and the only thing I took was Flinstone vitamins and cod liver oil. I know with the right maintenance I can get my hair back. My goal is APL unstretched. I don't want to be greedy. Anything below APL may be too much for me to handle...

...peace

Welcome NappturalWomyn. I recently started taking vits and they have really helped me. I only take B complex, but i can definitely tell that it has improved my growth. I wish i could afford the luxury of not having to take them, but i'm not that fortunate. :giggle:

Hi everyone,
Its been a minute. I think I need to start subscribing to some threads bc without the search feature fully working it takes forever to find threads. Anyways...I'm slowing starting to use up my Carol's Daughter products and I have all of the replacements waiting in the wings. Here's my regi/plan:

Pre poo overnight: HairVeda's Vatika Frosting
Shampoo 1x/wk: CD Rosemary Mint Poo switching to CON (Green)
Co-Wash 1x/wk: HV Moist 24/7 Condish
Chelate 1x/month: Mizani's Phormula 7 Chelating & Neutralizing Poo
Protein Tx 1x/month: HV Moist Pro Condish, EVOO, egg (done this bf with regular condish but not with Protein condish--too much?)
DC 2x/wk with heat: CD Khoret Amen Hair Smoothie then move on to Pantene's R & N Breakage Defense Deep Condtioning Mask and finally switching to HV Sitranillah Mask
Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
Leave In: Just switched to Giovanni Direct yesterday
Moisturizer: CD Hair Milk switching to HV Whipped Creme
Sealant: HV Avosoya Oil
Baggying ends 2x wk with HV Whipped Creme
Heat Protectant: Fantasia IC thinking of switching to Hydrathermal Naturals heat protectant
Airdry then flatiron
I'm contemplating stretching to 12 weeks instead of just 10.

Pr3tty--I would do everything to try and save my hair bf cutting it but I'm new so....

Hi Shay!!!!!! I have been itching to try out HairVeda's products. How do you like them?

Just saw this thread. I think it's great for newbies like me. My hair has experienced some trauma this year and I was thinking about cutting it to SL, but since joining LHCF, I'm going to work with my hair to restore it's health. My regimen isn't solid yet bc I'm experimenting with different products. (I need to attend a couple of PJ Anonymous sessions :blush:) So far, I'm enjoying the journey. :yep:

Hi Shay!!!!!! I have been itching to try out HairVeda's products. How do you like them?

Many of my HairVeda products are lying in wait to be used once I use up other products. But I can at least report on a few of them:

Moist 24/7 Condish--I use this for co-washing. I just realized I have new growth today. The demarcation line is not really obvious and I've had no tangling issues. I'm 4 wks post.

Whipped Cream--I've used this 3 times for baggying and I could notice a difference after the first time.

Vatika Frosting--I use it as a pre poo and for hot oil txs. Its a solid oil but melts bw your fingers. It smells just like vanilla frosting.

Avosoya Oil--I use to seal. Its lightweight which I like but may switch to vatika frosting as my sealant once I use all of this.

What I said wasn't much help with the oils but maybe if you have specific questions? Everything smells so good :yep:!!! I like the owner, BJ, she is a member here. The prices are fantastic and she is very good to her customers. I sound like a commercial don't I? :grin:

Just saw this thread. I think it's great for newbies like me. My hair has experienced some trauma this year and I was thinking about cutting it to SL, but since joining LHCF, I'm going to work with my hair to restore it's health. My regimen isn't solid yet bc I'm experimenting with different products. (I need to attend a couple of PJ Anonymous sessions :blush:) So far, I'm enjoying the journey. :yep:

:welcome4:

Many of my HairVeda products are lying in wait to be used once I use up other products. But I can at least report on a few of them:

Moist 24/7 Condish--I use this for co-washing. I just realized I have new growth today. The demarcation line is not really obvious and I've had no tangling issues. I'm 4 wks post.

Whipped Cream--I've used this 3 times for baggying and I could notice a difference after the first time.

Vatika Frosting--I use it as a pre poo and for hot oil txs. Its a solid oil but melts bw your fingers. It smells just like vanilla frosting.

Avosoya Oil--I use to seal. Its lightweight which I like but may switch to vatika frosting as my sealant once I use all of this.

What I said wasn't much help with the oils but maybe if you have specific questions? Everything smells so good :yep:!!! I like the owner, BJ, she is a member here. The prices are fantastic and she is very good to her customers. I sound like a commercial don't I? :grin:

:giggle: You do, but i truly appreciate it Shay. I am looking for something to tame my newgrowth since i'm thinking of transitioning so the Moist Condish 24/7 sounds really good. i'm going to check out the site more to see what i want to order. ;)

Back