Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

Thank you so much for the tips Fiya'slovechild and phoEnixx. I will look into those conditioners and see wich one will work best for my hair.:yep:

Oh yeah...(lol)

WELCOME Newbies!!!!!

:wavey:

^^^what she said!!!^^^:hiya:WELCOME!!!

Cowashing isn't the same as regular washing (with a shampoo). Shampooing dries the hair out. Washing with a conditioner does not. It can make the hair softer, maneagable, more moisturized and of course clean hair is healthy. And a healthy scalp is crucial for growth.

I have extremely dry hair and cowashing helped me immensely. At a time I was cowashing every single day.

You may have to clarify every so often because of the buildup.

Ideally you want to cowash with a cheap conditioer because you'll be cowashing often.
I use VO5 (with honey, coconut/sweet almond/avocado oil)....I add extras because certain things just kick up the potency. I cowash then allow it to sit on my head (in a plastic shower/curl cap). Rinse it out and style as normal.

Here's some info on cowashing:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/721143/african_american_hair_care_cowashing.html?cat=69

http://www.geocities.com/bonnecasey/COWASHING.html

Also, see--many conditioners contain products (which we call 'cones') which give the hair slip and allow for good detangling.
BUT--
the drawback is that these ingredients smooth the hair down which can mask hair issues. Therefor you don't want to use just ANY old conditioner.
You want a 'cone'-free conditioner.

Most ppl use Vo5, Loreal, White Rain, etc...

Here's info on cones. provides list of cone-free conditioners for cowashing:
http://ladylonghair.googlepages.com/'cone-freeconditioners

This is a thread where the ladies discuss cowash conditioners:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=5903

Also
This is Traycee's K.I.S.S. site. Here's a small piece on cowashing:
http://keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com/2008/07/reasons-to-start-co-washing.html

Girl, I had to go'on and click the "THANKS" button on this one! Loved it! THX!!

Hello everyone!!
I always see this thread and it is about time to participate so that can see other's progress and document my own. Now until January I will be focusing on being healthy, and not using heat on my hair. I will try to start my own insideout challenge, because I have no problem retaining hair..BUT IT GROWS SO SLOW, I don't think my body is getting enough nutrients. other time sI feel that all my extra keratin go straight to my nails since they grow fast, if so that is very upsetting.
The best part about this is even if I don't get to BSL, atleast I will be healthier overall, so I happy.

WELCOME!!! Git on in here girl!!!:grin:

^^^what she said!!!^^^:hiya:WELCOME!!!

Girl, I had to go'on and click the "THANKS" button on this one! Loved it! THX!!

WELCOME!!! Git on in here girl!!!:grin:

LOL....
Girl--I'm just a book-markin fool.
I be doing 'hair research' like it's my major or something.

have every hair issu/topic in my bookmarks. I ain't playin...

Hello everyone!!
I always see this thread and it is about time to participate so that can see other's progress and document my own. Now until January I will be focusing on being healthy, and not using heat on my hair. I will try to start my own insideout challenge, because I have no problem retaining hair..BUT IT GROWS SO SLOW, I don't think my body is getting enough nutrients. other time sI feel that all my extra keratin go straight to my nails since they grow fast, if so that is very upsetting.
The best part about this is even if I don't get to BSL, atleast I will be healthier overall, so I happy.

Hey ONEYA.
:wavey:

Thanks for the info fiya'slovechild. You are my new best friend :)! Also PhoEnixX I appreciate your input. Everyone has been so helpful.

I will be putting in my relaxer this weekend. I've been self relaxing for years. I do plan to head to Sally's to get some clips. I should have bought some years ago.

Thanks for the info fiya'slovechild. You are my new best friend :)! Also PhoEnixX I appreciate your input. Everyone has been so helpful.

I will be putting in my relaxer this weekend. I've been self relaxing for years. I do plan to head to Sally's to get some clips. I should have bought some years ago.
What relaxer do you use? I've been itching to self relax for months but i'm too nervous i'll do it wrong.

I've used a couple different ones over the years but for the past few Optimum Care--Regular Strength. I'm thinking of switching because it gets my hair bone straight and I think I kind of want a softer more silky look. Been looking around on this forum for suggestions.

No problem Shay.

Oh yeah, what are thoughts about headbands? I wear them all the time.

Well some ppl say that headbands can cause breakage. I don't really wear headbands though.

But before I decided to transition I did wrap my hair and I received breakage from that. You have to alternate sides.
Now they tell me!

So...I'd imagine that it's good to alternate styles from time to time.

@FIYA...Elasta QP was my ish! Profectiv too. I used to use those when I wasn't able to get my Mizani.

I currently use Affirm Fiberguard and i like it a lot. A lot of ladies use Mizani Butter blends and they seem to love it. Silk elements has a good relaxer i've heard as well.

When you're applying your relaxer, about how long does it take you to apply it all over? And how many sections do you make?

No problem Shay.

Well some ppl say that headbands can cause breakage. I don't really wear headbands though.

But before I decided to transition I did wrap my hair and I received breakage from that. You have to alternate sides.
Now they tell me!

So...I'd imagine that it's good to alternate styles from time to time.

@FIYA...Elasta QP was my ish! Profectiv too. I used to use those when I wasn't able to get my Mizani.
Well dang!!!! i didn't know Elasta had a relaxer. lmao, i've been under a rock. I've heard wonderful things about Profectiv. I've been wanting to try the kind with the color but i can't find them anywhere. i may have to order offline.

hi noobies!!! welcome!!!!! :grin:

i just wanted to say... if you're thinking of self-relaxing, and are looking for a great relaxer that doesnt burn, and processes well, consider using Hawaiian Silky Lye. It is AMAZING. It doesn't burn my scalp at all. i've found that silk elements (lye) processes well, too, but it burned the heck out of my scalp. just wanted to toss a heads up to those with sensitive scalps :)

Shay

Here are 3 links to Sistaslick's (relaxing guru) articles on relaxing that may be useful to you

www.associatedcontent.com/article/278572/getting_ready_to_relax_preparing_your.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/320975/guide_to_safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/352470/is_lye_or_nolye_chemical_relaxing_better.html

hairpics002C.jpg

Last edited:
hi noobies!!! welcome!!!!! :grin:

i just wanted to say... if you're thinking of self-relaxing, and are looking for a great relaxer that doesnt burn, and processes well, consider using Hawaiian Silky Lye. It is AMAZING. It doesn't burn my scalp at all. i've found that silk elements (lye) processes well, too, but it burned the heck out of my scalp. just wanted to toss a heads up to those with sensitive scalps :)
Thanks for the info!
Sometime I feel that I will be relaxing my hair in 3 years.

Thank you PhoEnixX, fiya'slovechild, poookie, and KLomax for your suggestions. I think I'm leaning towards Mizani's Sensitive Scalp No Lye. I currently have the Optimum Care so I will use it this time and get the Mizani for next time.

fiya'slovechild--Everything you are supposed to not do in terms of relaxers is what I do. All blasphemous (run it all the way through every time, let it stay on until it burns). So I'm not a good example. I am working on mending my ways.

PhoEnixX--I use headbands because its easy. So now I want all of this long hair then what am I going to do...yeah I need to work on identifying some styles.

KLomax--Those links were so helpful. Her hair is beautiful!

Well dang!!!! i didn't know Elasta had a relaxer. lmao, i've been under a rock. I've heard wonderful things about Profectiv. I've been wanting to try the kind with the color but i can't find them anywhere. i may have to order offline.

LOL.
Girl yeah...Elasta QP is the 'bizzness'! It silked me out like Mizani (just like Profectiv) I swear before the Lord...
Those are the only store-bought relaxers I'll let touch my head.
Also Nairobi is a good relaxer, too. It's on par with Mizani. They don't sell it in the stores though.

Anyway I discovered Profectiv a while ago when I was doing my friend's hair. . It was my homegirl's choice... and being such a 'product snob' I wasn't expecting anything from Profectiv. Because it wasn't Mizani or Nairobi....

I relaxed my homegirl's hair with it and was shocked. Then I relaxed my hair with it. It's a good relaxer.

You can't find the one with color? That's the only one I ever saw. Everytime my stylist was booked and I couldn't get my hands on Elasta I was forced to relax and color with Profectiv..
But...the colors are nice....

LOL.
Girl yeah...Elasta QP is the 'bizzness'! It silked me out like Mizani (just like Profectiv) I swear before the Lord...
Those are the only store-bought relaxers I'll let touch my head.
Also Nairobi is a good relaxer, too. It's on par with Mizani. They don't sell it in the stores though.

Anyway I discovered Profectiv a while ago when I was doing my friend's hair. . It was my homegirl's choice... and being such a 'product snob' I wasn't expecting anything from Profectiv. Because it wasn't Mizani or Nairobi....

I relaxed my homegirl's hair with it and was shocked. Then I relaxed my hair with it. It's a good relaxer.

You can't find the one with color? That's the only one I ever saw. Everytime my stylist was booked and I couldn't get my hands on Elasta I was forced to relax and color with Profectiv..
But...the colors are nice....
Okay! I may have to try that. The colors look nice. Which colors have you tried and do they show up pretty good?

Ladies,

I was just viewing my profile and realized that I don't have any "friends" on my list :spinning:
Can I PM my newbie challenge sisters and add you all to my friends list?

Back