Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

Hello All,
Its been a while Update. I am on a hiding my hair until December to see what happens. I recently had a protein treatment which was a welcome need for my hair and now I am wearing twist until december! Wish me luck!

Thanks for the welcome fiya'slovechild. I found this forum really late last night so now I plan to take the time and really explore it today.

Hello Ladies, Just checking in -- Now that I'm in a sew-in not much really goin on. I'm using growth aids (BT and MN) still and also using African Royale Braid Sheen spray (Conditioning) and 911 Emergency Extra Dry Hair Leave In Conditioner. Washing once a week and deep conditioning for 15-20 min.

Hello Ladies, Just checking in -- Now that I'm in a sew-in not much really goin on. I'm using growth aids (BT and MN) still and also using African Royale Braid Sheen spray (Conditioning) and 911 Emergency Extra Dry Hair Leave In Conditioner. Washing once a week and deep conditioning for 15-20 min.
Hey Mistee!!!!! What brand of hair did you use for your sew-in? I plan on getting one, but i am clueless to stuff like that.

I would love to join. My hair is a type 4a/b. I just started a new hair care regimen since my last relaxer about 10 weeks ago. My hair is now CBL and my short term goal is SL. My hair is very uneven. It is about 7 inches long in the front and 2 inches long in the back. I currently shampoo my hair every three days with Mizani Botanifying Shampoo, then I deep condition it with Mizani Intensive Strengthening Protein treatment sitting under the dryer for 15 min followed by Mizani Hydrafuse for a moisturizing conditioner sitting under the dryer for 15 min. Then I moisturize my hair with Organic Root Stimulator followed by Doo Gro Stimulating Growth Oil to seal the moisture in. I moisturize my hair twice/day. I take Biotin three times a day and I plan on getting my next relaxer this week. I can definitely feel some new growth and my hair is definitely harder to manage 10 wks into my last relaxer but I hope this regimen will work for me. I will post pics of my current length right after my new relaxer this week.

Hello All,
Its been a while Update. I am on a hiding my hair until December to see what happens. I recently had a protein treatment which was a welcome need for my hair and now I am wearing twist until december! Wish me luck!

Good luck, Simply! When you're done in December I'm sure you're going to be surprised by the amazing growth and progress :yep:.

I would love to join. My hair is a type 4a/b. I just started a new hair care regimen since my last relaxer about 10 weeks ago. My hair is now CBL and my short term goal is SL. My hair is very uneven. It is about 7 inches long in the front and 2 inches long in the back. I currently shampoo my hair every three days with Mizani Botanifying Shampoo, then I deep condition it with Mizani Intensive Strengthening Protein treatment sitting under the dryer for 15 min followed by Mizani Hydrafuse for a moisturizing conditioner sitting under the dryer for 15 min. Then I moisturize my hair with Organic Root Stimulator followed by Doo Gro Stimulating Growth Oil to seal the moisture in. I moisturize my hair twice/day. I take Biotin three times a day and I plan on getting my next relaxer this week. I can definitely feel some new growth and my hair is definitely harder to manage 10 wks into my last relaxer but I hope this regimen will work for me. I will post pics of my current length right after my new relaxer this week.

WELCOME Armelle! :yep:

Thanks for checking in, Mistee!

Hey Mistee!!!!! What brand of hair did you use for your sew-in? I plan on getting one, but i am clueless to stuff like that.

Hi Ladies,

It's been a while since I last checked in, I've been doing alot of lurking here and there, I've gotten some growth which is good, but I have been feeling a little discouraged because it just seems to be moving so slow. When I joined the forum I had this terrible W shape in the back of my hair (you can see it in my first siggy pic), back in May I thought I trimmed it up, but as my hair grows longer it seems like it's back again:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:, I can pretty much hide it but it's still discouraging because I know it's there. I don't want to trim again until the end of the year so I'll have to keep a watch on it :perplexed. I've changed up my regi a few times, now I'm using Indian shampoo bars, powders and oils, along with my DC's twice a week.

Hey Fiya, are you still using the powders, how are they working for you? I've been trying to use them also, and I think I'm tweaking things enough to start to say I can do it. The first couple of times I used them my hair was nice and full but it looked dry and felt hard, so I've been adjusting the amount of powders and water and things are working out better.

Hi everyone,
I am brand spanking new. This is my first post. I don't even know where to begin. I don't know what hair type I am..maybe #1--straight. What is cowash? There are a million acronyms used on this site too. Any suggestions on where I might be able to get the answers to my questions? Thanks.

Goals:
1. healthy hair (I tend to not take care of it and let it break off)
2. shoulder length hair (maybe longer but right now that is good enough)
3. would love to only use natural products or as close to natural as I can get with wanting to keep relaxing it

I look forward to getting to know everyone. I hope to go back and read the thread but at 195 pp not sure that will happen.

:welcome: Shay,

Under the Hair Care Tips/Product Review Discussion forum select Favorite Stickies...there is alot of useful info for newbies....commonly used LCHF acronyms etc.

:welcome:Armelle,
Sounds like you are off to GREAT start...happy hair growing !!!

Hi Ladies,

It's been a while since I last checked in, I've been doing alot of lurking here and there, I've gotten some growth which is good, but I have been feeling a little discouraged because it just seems to be moving so slow. When I joined the forum I had this terrible W shape in the back of my hair (you can see it in my first siggy pic), back in May I thought I trimmed it up, but as my hair grows longer it seems like it's back again:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:, I can pretty much hide it but it's still discouraging because I know it's there. I don't want to trim again until the end of the year so I'll have to keep a watch on it :perplexed. I've changed up my regi a few times, now I'm using Indian shampoo bars, powders and oils, along with my DC's twice a week.

Hey Fiya, are you still using the powders, how are they working for you? I've been trying to use them also, and I think I'm tweaking things enough to start to say I can do it. The first couple of times I used them my hair was nice and full but it looked dry and felt hard, so I've been adjusting the amount of powders and water and things are working out better.

Good to hear from you !!! Your hair looks shiny & healthy...I just started a new regi myself:

I am revising my reggie :crossfingers: ...so for the next 90 days I am using the following products (weekly) and techniques. I also trimmed my own hair (1"- 1 1/2") :woot: :woot::woot::woot: using a link I found in Sareca's fotki.
http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

Products: Joico K-PAk's :

1. chelating shampoo
2. cuticle sealer,
3. deep penetrating reconstructor(protein),
4. intense hydrator(moisture)
5. smoothing balm(heat activated,humidity resistant,heat protectant, straightening balm).

The 1st 4 products come in a kit....Joico K- Pak Professional 17 minute miracle.

Using protein weekly is a big change :pray:. I hope it will make my hair stronger. Since I trimmed today I am going to dust my ends on a monthly basis . I flat ironed for starting pics but for the next 90 days I will probably air dry/ ponytail roller set.

hairpics002C.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Klo, I was checking the other thread and saw your update pic and the drool is till running out of the corner of my mouth :lick:, good work girl.

Hey guys, I'm a newbie!!, This is my very first post. I have been lurking here for about a month. I must say you ladies have some AMAZING hair , and wonderful growth tips!!, I am a licensed cosmetologist, I stayed in the shop for many years. lol!!, till I got burned out , now i'm a freelance makeup artist. I have gone thru every style, cut, color, weave you can name. Frankly it's been a fun ride but i'm tired of being part of the new hair style a month club. I'm currently growing out of short cut I did last summer , but I have chopped some since then, I'm about 4 to 5 inches all over , I am relaxed , don't know my type cause I don't know where to find the type codes, I tried to upload a pic. , but it didn't work, I need a little help learning to navigate around the site. I just ordered MegaTek & it shipped today!!, I would love to join the challenge ( need help doing that too) thank you ladies .

Hey guys, I'm a newbie!!, This is my very first post. I have been lurking here for about a month. I must say you ladies have some AMAZING hair , and wonderful growth tips!!, I am a licensed cosmetologist, I stayed in the shop for many years. lol!!, till I got burned out , now i'm a freelance makeup artist. I have gone thru every style, cut, color, weave you can name. Frankly it's been a fun ride but i'm tired of being part of the new hair style a month club. I'm currently growing out of short cut I did last summer , but I have chopped some since then, I'm about 4 to 5 inches all over , I am relaxed , don't know my type cause I don't know where to find the type codes, I tried to upload a pic. , but it didn't work, I need a little help learning to navigate around the site. I just ordered MegaTek & it shipped today!!, I would love to join the challenge ( need help doing that too) thank you ladies .

Welcome Flowin!
I've been hearing good things about the MT (MegaTek). Please let me know how it works out for you :yep:. Do you have a regimen already?

Hi Ladies,

Hey Bign!!! I've been meaning to make a post on how i have been using Ayurveda. But i've been using the Oils and Powders consistently for about 5 weeks. I use Shikakai and Amla as pre-poos. I then do a tea rinse containing 3 tbs amla to 1 tbs of either shikakai or aritha. I was mixing it with water but now i boil Fenugreek seeds and use the tea from that to make my tea. I then apply it all over, no scratching for about 10 minutes. Then i rinse it out until all the grit is gone. I then co-wash 2x with V05 moisture milks conditioner. I do a DC with Queen helene afterwards, rinse that out, apply a leave-in and proceed to doing whatever style i want to do. All in all i like it. Its really thickened up my hair, especially my ends. After my last relaxer, i had to get a trim but on my recent pic i seemed to have gained a nice amount of growth.

You definitely have to tweak it to see what works best for you. Some people pre-poo and use their tea w/o rinsing the oil out. Some like making a paste instead of the tea. I can't do that because it took forever to rinse and the grit was still there. I like using the Fenugreek tea with my powders but that may not work for others. I'm still in the process of learning more about Indian products and what they all do. But i'm going to continue using what i have been because its working for me. ;)
Mid -June
1zfr977.jpg
Beginning of August
24nfcya.jpg

@ Klo, your hair is gorgeous lady!!!!! :yep:

Last edited:
:welcome3: Welcome Flowinlocks!!!!!

:welcome3:

well sorta, still kinda puttin it together, I wash and deep condition weekly, cowash once weekly,currently using MN every other night, by the way this stuff works!!!, can't wait to mix it with my MT, i'm using carol's daughter rosemary shampoo, not too thrilled with it, but I will use it up, i'm long enough (thanks to the MN) TO put in a bun with weave wrapped around, so I slick it back with, WGO , Mimosa hair honey & hair milk soaked on the ends to protect, i'm also taking 3000 mg of MSM , & 5000 mg of Biotin. So far no breakouts from either. And no headaches from the MN

fiya'slovechild--I tried to go back and thank you now that I know how to do that but it didn't work!

My regi:
Although Carol's Daughter products get mixed reviews they have brought my hair back from the brink before so no need to change. My problem is laziness. Here is what my routine is supposed to be:

Wash 1x/wkly with CD Rosemary Mint Shampoo
Deep Condition 1x/wkly with CD Khoret Amen Smoothie
Use CD Khoret Amen Leave In Conditioner (once finish with what I have I will switch to CD Black Vanilla Leave In Condtioner)
Daily use of CD Hair Milk
Daily use of CD Khoret Amen Hair Oil (will switch to CD Lisa's Hair Elixir once finished with what I have)
CD Some of Maugerite's Magic 1x/wkly
Wear silk cap nightly
Relaxer (Optimum Care) every six weeks (I could probably stretch it to 8-10 weeks if I took better care of my hair)

Questions(Forgive me because I'm sure there are many more to come)
What are the benefits of co-washing?
If my hair is really, really, really (get the point :)) dry is washing more than once a week recommended or not? I've heard different things.

:welcome: Go to>>>> Hair care tips and product review discussion...then select >>>> Favorite Stickies....this will answer alot of your questions!

fiya'slovechild--I tried to go back and thank you now that I know how to do that but it didn't work!

My regi:
Although Carol's Daughter products get mixed reviews they have brought my hair back from the brink before so no need to change. My problem is laziness. Here is what my routine is supposed to be:

Use CD Khoret Amen Leave In Conditioner (once finish with what I have I will switch to CD Black Vanilla Leave In Condtioner)
Daily use of CD Khoret Amen Hair Oil (will switch to CD Lisa's Hair Elixir once finished with what I have)
Wear silk cap nightly
Relaxer (Optimum Care) every six weeks (I could probably stretch it to 8-10 weeks if I took better care of my hair)

If my hair is really, really, really (get the point :)) dry is washing more than once a week recommended or not? I've heard different things.
My hair gets really dry so washing it every three days and deep conditioning it everytime after i wash really helps me. My hair feels a lot softer and is so much easier to detangle. Also moisturizing morning and evening helps. It's the first time I'm able to strecth my relaxer to over 6 weeks. it's been 10 weeks now. Good luck!:yep:

Hello Ladies! How many of you cowash. How many times a week do you do and what product do you use? Is it beneficial for your hair. Does it make it thicker, longer, dryer, softer, healthier? I wanna start doing it but I don't know what brand to buy. My hair type is 4a/b. Thank you so much ladies.

My regi:

Wear silk cap nightly

You're Welcome Shay!!!! you have a nice regi put together. Less is always better.

As far as cowashing goes, many ladies do this to gain extra moisture. I co wash once a week and i really like it. Some ladies do it more. One key thing with co washing is not to forget your protein. Co washing is extra moisture. If you are going to co wash a lot, then you have to add some protein in every now and then or your hair will go into moisture overload. I do this by simply cracking open a couple eggs every other week and i have had no problems.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=269389&highlight=co+wash

Hello Ladies! How many of you cowash. How many times a week do you do and what product do you use? Is it beneficial for your hair. Does it make it thicker, longer, dryer, softer, healthier? I wanna start doing it but I don't know what brand to buy. My hair type is 4a/b. Thank you so much ladies.
Hi Armelle!!!! You can look up in my other post to answer some of your questions. When i co wash I use either Herbal Essence Breaks Over Conditioner or V05 moisture milks conditioner. :)

Armelle English & fiya'slovechild--I guess thanking KLomax was a fluke because I have been unable to thank anyone since then. So I will manually "thank you". I am learning so much already. I always thought washing my hair more than once a week would dry my hair out. To be honest I am scared to try new things. So I may start out slow and wash 1x/wk and co-wash 1x/wk and see how that goes.

fiya'slovechild--Can you tell me a little more about the eggs? Do you use it as a rinse? Do you let it sit in your hair? Sorry, questions, questions, and questions :)!

Cowashing isn't the same as regular washing (with a shampoo). Shampooing dries the hair out. Washing with a conditioner does not. It can make the hair softer, maneagable, more moisturized and of course clean hair is healthy. And a healthy scalp is crucial for growth.

I have extremely dry hair and cowashing helped me immensely. At a time I was cowashing every single day.

You may have to clarify every so often because of the buildup.

Ideally you want to cowash with a cheap conditioer because you'll be cowashing often.
I use VO5 (with honey, coconut/sweet almond/avocado oil)....I add extras because certain things just kick up the potency. I cowash then allow it to sit on my head (in a plastic shower/curl cap). Rinse it out and style as normal.

Here's some info on cowashing:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/721143/african_american_hair_care_cowashing.html?cat=69

http://www.geocities.com/bonnecasey/COWASHING.html

Also, see--many conditioners contain products (which we call 'cones') which give the hair slip and allow for good detangling.
BUT--
the drawback is that these ingredients smooth the hair down which can mask hair issues. Therefor you don't want to use just ANY old conditioner.
You want a 'cone'-free conditioner.

Most ppl use Vo5, Loreal, White Rain, etc...

Here's info on cones. provides list of cone-free conditioners for cowashing:
http://ladylonghair.googlepages.com/'cone-freeconditioners

This is a thread where the ladies discuss cowash conditioners:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=5903

Also
This is Traycee's K.I.S.S. site. Here's a small piece on cowashing:
http://keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com/2008/07/reasons-to-start-co-washing.html

Armelle English & fiya'slovechild--I guess thanking KLomax was a fluke because I have been unable to thank anyone since then. So I will manually "thank you". I am learning so much already. I always thought washing my hair more than once a week would dry my hair out. To be honest I am scared to try new things. So I may start out slow and wash 1x/wk and co-wash 1x/wk and see how that goes.

fiya'slovechild--Can you tell me a little more about the eggs? Do you use it as a rinse? Do you let it sit in your hair? Sorry, questions, questions, and questions :)!
Hey Shay!!! Eggs are a great source of protein. I apply 2 eggs and i mix it with EVOO or Coconut oil then i add a little conditioner in my mix then I let it sit for about 45 minutes. I do apply a little heat to it but not much as it can cook the eggs, and we don't want that,lol. I have let it sit up to 2 hours and it was good that way too. Eggs are mainly for those who want a little protein but don't want to overdo it, such as using Aphogee.

Here is a good thread on Eggs and how they assist in hair growth.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=255315&highlight=eggs

Protein Treatments
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=258367&highlight=eggs

Last edited:
Hello everyone!!
I always see this thread and it is about time to participate so that can see other's progress and document my own. Now until January I will be focusing on being healthy, and not using heat on my hair. I will try to start my own insideout challenge, because I have no problem retaining hair..BUT IT GROWS SO SLOW, I don't think my body is getting enough nutrients. other time sI feel that all my extra keratin go straight to my nails since they grow fast, if so that is very upsetting.
The best part about this is even if I don't get to BSL, atleast I will be healthier overall, so I happy.

Back