Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

Hey slim_thick, ChelzBoo, rhon2993, Healthybodynhair, NaturalBeauty87 and KurleeK5!

How ya'll derrin...?
:wavey:

@NaturalBeauty...Have you tried a denman brush? I've heard that it's pretty affective at getting out knots and tangles. I see many natural heads sanging praises to it. They sell them for like $4 or $5 at sally's

@Slim....Naw never used it. I just kinda suffer through my shedding. ...and I'm not scheduled to shed until the winter so I imagine I'll be crushing cloves all winter. LOL
Even still...I'm not so certain garlic treatments automatically STOP shedding. Might just slow it down, y'know? But I'm not sure.
Garlic and EVOO...?
Well it's mos def cheaper than paying 24 dollars for a small container...

@Kurleek...Your puff is so cute.

I'm a little frustrated with this hair:spinning: other than that I'm great!! But I actually do have a denman but whenever I use it I feel like its ripping my hair out so Ive only used it twice. Both times I used it my hair was wet and saturated with conditioner. Maybe since my hair is texlaxed its not strong enough?? I don't know:ohwell:

:grin::grin:Wow @ all the new ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, lets see here. :welcome3: Camilla, heathlybodynhair, kyna323, naturalbeauty87, chelzboo(you have awesome hair), KurleeK5, Pink, Lovinlocks, Carlette813, NIKAMYA. Whoo!!!! I hope i got everyone. If not, charge it to my head and not my heart. Happy Hair Growing Ladies!!!!! :grin:

Thanks! Cant wait to get your length!! BTW your hair is lovely!!

**sigh**

I think I'm in the middle of a setback. I cut about an inch off in June and its growing in nicely, but the middle of my hair in the back is thinning out. In my fotki, it was just the nape. but now even with all my hair down, it looks thin in the middle. My hair is shedding much more than I'm comfortable with. So...

I think I'm going to try the garlic shampoo that worked for others with shedding. I'm also going to cut down on doing bantu knots - maybe its too much stress on my hair. *sigh* I love bantu knotouts :sad:.

I thought I read in a link someplace about too much heat causing damage to the root of the hair so thats how you get the white bulb at the end of shed hairs...is that true? Maybe the bonnet dryer is too hot ? if you have any advice for me, I'd really appreciate it.

**sigh**

I think I'm in the middle of a setback. I cut about an inch off in June and its growing in nicely, but the middle of my hair in the back is thinning out. In my fotki, it was just the nape. but now even with all my hair down, it looks thin in the middle. My hair is shedding much more than I'm comfortable with. So...

I think I'm going to try the garlic shampoo that worked for others with shedding. I'm also going to cut down on doing bantu knots - maybe its too much stress on my hair. *sigh* I love bantu knotouts :sad:.

I thought I read in a link someplace about too much heat causing damage to the root of the hair so thats how you get the white bulb at the end of shed hairs...is that true? Maybe the bonnet dryer is too hot ? if you have any advice for me, I'd really appreciate it.

Sorry about your setback. What helped me with shedding was moisture (don't use much protein, my hair likes it that way). Have you done deep conditioning or co-washing?
As for the white bulb, it was my understanding that it's white b/c of a lack of melanin (hence it being white instead of dark like the rest of your hair strand).

Fiya!!! Girl tell me about it...school is a mess...i promise this is it for me...lol..NO MORE :nono:! Good luck on your up coming semester
lol, i wish it was it for me. I have a little while. And good luck on yours too.

To everyone else, I'll be updating Thursday after i relax. It'll be 8 weeks for me, the longest i've stretched yet! Yay!!!!!

Hey girl,

I've been using henna for about 3 or 4 months and I love it. I henna every 2 weeks.
I began using it for it's conditioning effects . It also helps to strengthen the hair. I have not had to use a protein treatment. But I like the color effects as well.
Now you won't be a blonde. I have a crimson tint to my hair... which looks really beautiful in the sunlight.
To me it adds dimension and depth to the hair. It think it defines my little curls/coils. The first time I used it my hair was very soft.

Since you are relaxed you will need to use the (BAQ) Body Art Quality henna.
I use the suppliers that everyone here uses. I mean you may be able to find cheaper henna but f'real--henna can seriously mess your hair up if it's a crappy quality or incorrect type of henna. For instance relaxed heads tried to use regular henna their mhair would prolly come out.

Here's the Ayurveda Support Thread ALSO look in the stickies there's a henna support thread in the favorite.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=183305

Here's a thread on what to do with the different powders and how they benefit the hair.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=167723

Here's some information from Henna for Hair:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=7
http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/hennaforhair.pdf
http://www.hennaforhair.com/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=viewforum&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS=4

Henna suppliers:
http://www.mehandi.com/
http://www.hennasooq.com/

What I do:
--I use 100g of Henna and 50 g of Amla.
--Mix with water.
--Wash hair with clarifying shampoo
--Leave on for 2 hours.
--Rinse out with CON and other shampoos (several times)
--DC with Elucence for some minutes-hours

I'm mostly experimenting. Still. :grin:

-Remember to perform a strand test.
-Amla is great for the face.:grin:
-The first time I didn't pre-wash and it came out so soft. HOWEVER it was very hard, dry and had a strange texture while I was trying to rinse it out. I dont' know how dry hair could make the henna 'soften' my hair. Hmm...:ohwell:
I'll prolly try it again and see if I can duplicate the results.
-I used to mix in conditioner but I've stopped. I didn't see how it made a real difference compared to when I didn't use conditioner.
-I usually mix and immediately apply. You get dye release without adding anything. Some say products like lemon juice. lime juice etcc(that you use for dye release) can dry the hair out.
But it didn't dry mine out.

I did use lemon juice the last time I henna'd. I wanted to see of I could get more of a dye release...but I don't think I saw MUCH of a difference. Maybe because I applied immediately as usual.
I'll make a batch and let it sit overnight THEN pply it to my head. But this is interesting.
http://www.hennaforhair.com/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=2322

Hope that helps

Thanks so much for your help. I am actually not relaxed...I have been chemical free since June 2008. :woot: My hair was VERY damaged from over processing, so I decided to let the relaxer grow out. I currently have braids and I plan on keeping them until December. I may do a henna treatment when I am finished wearing the braids.

Hi Ladies, I'm checking in - I'm still following my regimen of weekly shampooing (I've added a new shampoo to alternate use -- it's Aphogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair) and it's been working really well for me but I think I like Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo better because it's sulfate free and it doesn't contain mineral oil (plus it smells divine). I've been cowashing with Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Split End Mender and adding their Coconut Oil Self Heating to the cowash as well. This product line is really amazing. I've updated pics in my fotki as well. I'm 7 weeks post and the new growth is really thick. MN mix every other day and BT every 3-4 days are really helping with growth! I'm moisturizing with Ultra Black Hair Dew Moisturizer Spray and Ultra Black Hair Lotion Creme Moisturizer (seal w/eo like Kemi Oyl). Sorry for the lengthy post but i'll check in more often.

These pics were taken last weekend after I deep conditioned with Aphogee Two Step Protein:

PIC00266-1.jpg
August 1, 2008 - Cowashed Aphogee Two Step Protein

PIC00206.jpg
July 12, 2008 - Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo & Deep Condition w/Organix Coconut Milk Split End Mender

Hi Ladies, I'm checking in - I'm still following my regimen of weekly shampooing (I've added a new shampoo to alternate use -- it's Aphogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair) and it's been working really well for me but I think I like Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo better because it's sulfate free and it doesn't contain mineral oil (plus it smells divine). I've been cowashing with Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Split End Mender and adding their Coconut Oil Self Heating to the cowash as well. This product line is really amazing. I've updated pics in my fotki as well. I'm 7 weeks post and the new growth is really thick. MN mix every other day and BT every 3-4 days are really helping with growth! I'm moisturizing with Ultra Black Hair Dew Moisturizer Spray and Ultra Black Hair Lotion Creme Moisturizer (seal w/eo like Kemi Oyl). Sorry for the lengthy post but i'll check in more often.

These pics were taken last weekend after I deep conditioned with Aphogee Two Step Protein:

PIC00266-1.jpg
August 1, 2008 - Cowashed Aphogee Two Step Protein

PIC00206.jpg
July 12, 2008 - Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo & Deep Condition w/Organix Coconut Milk Split End Mender

Thanks for checking in, Mistee! Awesome progress :yep:
Oh, and I am definitely a fan of Organix (esp. the vanilla conditioner)

Hey ladies,

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!!!! But I was wondering if anyone had any advise on what I should do about perming. As I said before I lost a lot of hair do to a pad perm. I think it was old because it didn't mix well ( Mizani sensitive scalp), I only use this when my eczema flairs up and the pain can be unbearable when getting a touch up. I'm on my 7th or 8th week should I touch up even though I'm still shedding slightly or should I stretch it out until the shedding stops. Truthfully I may be a little paranoid after watching my hair slide out of my head as I washed the perm out because I shed all year long.

Also, since I've been using the MN my NG is soft but I can't get it straight to save my life. But I am ecstatic that I can now grip and attempt to straighten the mini afros around my nape and the right side of my face. Hollaluha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Checking in!!!! Here is my progress pic. I'm comparing this to my length in my sig. I think i got a nice amount of growth, although i wish i had hit APL. hopefully by October though.

24nfcya.jpg

Hey ladies,

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!!!! But I was wondering if anyone had any advise on what I should do about perming. As I said before I lost a lot of hair do to a pad perm. I think it was old because it didn't mix well ( Mizani sensitive scalp), I only use this when my eczema flairs up and the pain can be unbearable when getting a touch up. I'm on my 7th or 8th week should I touch up even though I'm still shedding slightly or should I stretch it out until the shedding stops. Truthfully I may be a little paranoid after watching my hair slide out of my head as I washed the perm out because I shed all year long.

Also, since I've been using the MN my NG is soft but I can't get it straight to save my life. But I am ecstatic that I can now grip and attempt to straighten the mini afros around my nape and the right side of my face. Hollaluha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi and Welcome!!!!:drunk:

Well first I would like to remind you that shedding is a normal part of the hair growth process. Its the excessive shedding that you should worry about. If you dont feel comfy with the amount of shedding that you're getting then try using a garlic shampoo. This (I hear) knocks the shedding right out! :yep:

And what do you mean by "bad perm"? Did it come out under or over processed? What exacly happened?

Checkin' in -- I've made a change in my regi -- I'm now wearing a sew-in weave because of 2 reasons:

7 weeks post and ng was unmanageable (growth aids are really working) :grin:

Hair was over-conditioned (felt really mushy when wet and not silky when dry)

Wearing the weave will help me stretch my relaxer which I was going to have touched up on Aug. 16th but won't be doing that now. I'll still use my growth aids and wash and condition but won't do as frequently as before.

I'm not sure, I don't think it was over processed. I just think the perm was old or not at the right consistency to be mixed. I mixed it for over 20 minutes and it was still lumpy. My first instinct was to take it back to the store, which I should have done. When I was washing it out my hair felt slightly gummy, and I noticed the strands of hair coming out. I don't die my hair and I touch up every 8 to 10 weeks with Mizani reg or sensitive scalp.

Checkin' in -- I've made a change in my regi -- I'm now wearing a sew-in weave because of 2 reasons:

7 weeks post and ng was unmanageable (growth aids are really working) :grin:

Hair was over-conditioned (felt really mushy when wet and not silky when dry)

Wearing the weave will help me stretch my relaxer which I was going to have touched up on Aug. 16th but won't be doing that now. I'll still use my growth aids and wash and condition but won't do as frequently as before.

That's a good idea, Mistee. I'm thinking about weaving it up again :yep:.

Thanks so much for your help. I am actually not relaxed...I have been chemical free since June 2008. :woot: My hair was VERY damaged from over processing, so I decided to let the relaxer grow out. I currently have braids and I plan on keeping them until December. I may do a henna treatment when I am finished wearing the braids.

Girl you and me both. I'm in braids right now...and I'm staying in these dern things UNTIL DEC/JAN!
Oh you transitioning too? Cool.

Well still for the sake of the relaxed hair I'd just stick with BAQ henna, know what I mean?

Checking in!
I decided that I'm just going to wear it straight for a while. So this past week I decided to do the reverse rollerset. It got my roots pretty straight and it did turn out in flips, but I liked it! I got so many compliments:grin:, but then two ppl said was I trying to go back to the 60's styles:sad:. I didn't really think of it as a 60's style because Nia Long and Wendy Raquel from the Steve Harvey show wore their like that. Anyway sorry to get off track:spinning:, but I'm gonna wear it like that because I didn't have to use my flat iron and it keeps my hair from rubbing against my clothes!

i currently have shoulder lenght hair goal is bra strap lenght

relax every 8 weeks

wash weekly 1 week at home 1 week at salon

trying to get at home styles for my wash weeks at home(any sugesstions are welcome)

i take womans 1 a day multi vitmins and b-12

attempting to up h2o intake

Last edited:
Hey L_CHOICE2001 and lONGHAIRCRAVER!

How ya'll doin today?

LONGHAIRCRAVER: Just post a regimen. What you do to you hair, basically.

What you most likely could use:
1. A Good Moisturizing Shampoo
2. A Good Moisturizing Conditioner
3. A Good Protein Treatment: Not to be used often. Too much protein can break the hair. Only use 'as needed' or when the hair is overly conditioned. Mushy and very soft.
4. An oil like coconut, castor, avocado.
Or a creme like ORS carrot oil or the ORS moisturizer that looks like Pink Oil moisturize. Mizani H2O...Or whatever...

As other ladies have stated we all check in from time to time to offer support or chit-chat or talk hair products and such....

Ok lets see my regimen is pretty basic:
I'm currently doing the Loreal "Hair Fixer" therapy (great product for those with lots of damage and "unsavable" ends). I do that once a week with a clarifying shampoo.
I also Co-wash 2-3 times a week with Tresseme "Moisture Rich", and DC with Lustrasilk's Shea Butter Plus (with a little salk mixed in). I usually put my hair in a bun right after I wash, and let it airdry. I usually wear a phony pony througout the week over my little bun, then on the weekend I wear my hair out.
My staple products: my glycerin, water and tea tree oil spritz...ORS Lotion, EQP mango butter, Profectiv break-free (as a detangler and leave-in), olive oil, castor oil, Shea Butter oil, and black soap (as a shampoo)

Back