Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

Girl, you got it on lock...:grin: I think you just have to adjust washings for your hair...IF it ain't broke (ie you aren't having any major issues...)...

Thanks for the advise. I haven't had any major issues. I only added the extra wash because the last time I went to the salon the stylist advised if I was working out a lot that I might need to add in a extra wash in the middle of the week because of all the sweating. I exercise everyday 6 days a week and sometimes 2x a day. When I mentioned that, she said "you def. need to wash at least 2x week". I said I'll try it, but it's hard to my full regimen in the middle of the week like that.

Hey ladies,
I been missing in action...as FM said earlier....I had to cut ALL of my hair off do to a very bad sew in job..It was my very first time ever getting one and I only let it stay in for 2 weeks but i knew something wasn't right so i took it out and after the fact, i had 3 large bigger than quarter size bald spots.. which now is one huge spot. At the time, i was transitioning and was i think 18 weeks post...so when i cut my hair i cut off a lot including some of my NG..but the good news is that im not as depressed anymore and im starting to feel lil pricklies in that area so its starting to grow back already...THank the Lord!!!!!!! I have a couple pics in my fotki...

Blackbeauty10
***this is a hard one to overcome because i feel like i can't progress until that spot is completely filled, but it gets better as the days go by****

http://public.fotki.com/blackbeauty10/

Last edited:
Hey ladies,
I been missing in action...as FM said earlier....I had to cut ALL of my hair off do to a very bad sew in job..It was my very first time ever getting one and I only let it stay in for 2 weeks but i knew something wasn't right so i took it out and after the fact, i had 3 large bigger than quarter size bald spots.. which now is one huge spot. At the time, i was transitioning and was i think 18 weeks post...so when i cut my hair i cut off a lot including some of my NG..but the good news is that im not as depressed anymore and im starting to feel lil pricklies in that area so its starting to grow back already...THank the Lord!!!!!!! I have a couple pics in my fotki...

Blackbeauty10
***this is a hard one to overcome because i feel like i can't progress until that spot is completely filled, but it gets better as the days go by****

http://public.fotki.com/blackbeauty10/

It will grow...:yep: I am so happy you are starting to feel growth in the area so the follicles don't sound like they were permanently damaged...thank the Lord... Next year, you will have a full, thick, lush head of natural hair :drunk: and this will be a distant memory...

It will grow...:yep: I am so happy you are starting to feel growth in the area so the follicles don't sound like they were permanently damaged...thank the Lord... Next year, you will have a full, thick, lush head of natural hair :drunk: and this will be a distant memory...
YOu are absolutely right:grin:...i guess i gotta find another style to grow with, i am now TERRIFIED of anything now, especially braids...:lachen:

YOu are absolutely right:grin:...i guess i gotta find another style to grow with, i am now TERRIFIED of anything now, especially braids...:lachen:

I wouldn't do the braids:nono:...anything that adds tension (even a little), I would leave alone...I would just stick with the wigs for now...what about lace front wigs? Balckhairmedia.com has a whole forum dedicated to lacefronts http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/

ETA: http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=93597&PN=1 A Where do I start disucussion thread for LFWs

Last edited:
Hello Ladies,
I want in...I know I am WAAAY late. However I need someone to keep me motivate. I need the support. I believe that good sistas working to reach a common goal (long, healthy hair) can accomplish anything they set out to do!!!

I will be putting braid in my hair and doing the crown & glory method until the end of the year. However over the last month I was using half wigs as a protective style. My profile picture is my starting point. I will post a picture of the braids once I have them in.

Also check out my fotki:
http://members.fotki.com/sjohnson71103/

Hello Ladies,
I want in...I know I am WAAAY late. However I need someone to keep me motivate. I need the support. I believe that good sistas working to reach a common goal (long, healthy hair) can accomplish anything they set out to do!!!

I will be putting braid in my hair and doing the crown & glory method until the end of the year. However over the last month I was using half wigs as a protective style. My profile picture is my starting point. I will post a picture of the braids once I have them in.

Also check out my fotki:
http://members.fotki.com/sjohnson71103/

Welcome Sjohnson!!! :grin: You're not too late...just new :lachen:. Crown and Glory method sounds cool (maybe one day I'll try it myself). Do you also have a regimen?

I know I am late joining this challenge, but I am in need of support and sisterhood. So without further ado.......I am joining the challenge!

I am currently collarbone length with the short term goal of becoming APL. I plan to reach APL by Dec. O8. Hopefully sooner! I think my hair is overall healthy, not too thick and not thin. I get my hair relaxed 4 times a year and get my ends trim twice.

So I hope to meet many new e-friends during this challenge! Please stop by and check out my Fotki!

Welcome Sjohnson!!! :grin: You're not too late...just new :lachen:. Crown and Glory method sounds cool (maybe one day I'll try it myself). Do you also have a regimen?

Thanks for the welcome. I don't quite have a regimen...I am still a :newbie: when is comes to haircare. I have been trying to develop one. I started washing my hair more often than before. So if I have to define a regimen I would have to say that it goes as follows:

Pre-poo 1x per week (Suave conditioner and olive oil to seal)
Co-wash every 2 x's per week (Suave Humectant)
Clarify 1 x per month (Suave daily clarifying shampoo)
DC 1 x per week (ORS - replenishing pak)
Use a protective style as much as possible.

I used a mixture of MN and Dr. Miracles Gro oil on my scalp for 1 month. Now I am going to try BT and see if I notice any difference. When I braid my hair I will use the BT along with the products recommended in the Crown & Glory method.

Any other suggestions??? :scratchch

I know I am late joining this challenge, but I am in need of support and sisterhood. So without further ado.......I am joining the challenge!

I am currently collarbone length with the short term goal of becoming APL. I plan to reach APL by Dec. O8. Hopefully sooner! I think my hair is overall healthy, not too thick and not thin. I get my hair relaxed 4 times a year and get my ends trim twice.

So I hope to meet many new e-friends during this challenge! Please stop by and check out my Fotki!

:welcome4: Tallglass:bouncy:!!!!
Sisterhood is key to success. I just joined myself! We can start this journey together.

Good luck on your goal of APL hair...I am still trying to reach "true" SL, my front tends to grow a lot shorter. You hair in your profile picture is beautiful!

Welcome to the Newbie Challenge, Tallglass! You have very pretty, thick hair! Please do share your regimen :yep:.

Thanks for the welcome. I don't quite have a regimen...I am still a :newbie: when is comes to haircare. I have been trying to develop one. I started washing my hair more often than before. So if I have to define a regimen I would have to say that it goes as follows:

Pre-poo 1x per week (Suave conditioner and olive oil to seal)
Co-wash every 2 x's per week (Suave Humectant)
Clarify 1 x per month (Suave daily clarifying shampoo)
DC 1 x per week (ORS - replenishing pak)
Use a protective style as much as possible.

I used a mixture of MN and Dr. Miracles Gro oil on my scalp for 1 month. Now I am going to try BT and see if I notice any difference. When I braid my hair I will use the BT along with the products recommended in the Crown & Glory method.

Any other suggestions??? :scratchch

Just don't forget to moisturize daily (like w/ ORS olive oil creme moisturizer in the jar) and I highly recommend coconut oil and aloe vera gel or juice. It's good that you're keeping your reggie simple. When I had cornrows I used BT and my hair became noticeably thicker, so BT is a great idea :yep:.

:welcome4: Tallglass:bouncy:!!!!
Sisterhood is key to success. I just joined myself! We can start this journey together.

Good luck on your goal of APL hair...I am still trying to reach "true" SL, my front tends to grow a lot shorter. You hair in your profile picture is beautiful!

Thanks! I have never really tried to grow my hair out. I have always been scissor happy! I tend to hear that getting to SL is faster than getting to APL. So, I am sure you will reach your goal soon! Happy Hair Growing!

Welcome to the Newbie Challenge, Tallglass! You have very pretty, thick hair! Please do share your regimen :yep:.

Thank you so much! As far as my regimen, I use Redken Extreme Line weekly, deep condition when I shampoo and cowash maybe once during mid-week. I get a relaxer (Phyto Index I) 4 times a year and trim every other relaxer. I also use John Frieda's Clear Glaze once weekly.

Just don't forget to moisturize daily (like w/ ORS olive oil creme moisturizer in the jar) and I highly recommend coconut oil and aloe vera gel or juice. It's good that you're keeping your reggie simple. When I had cornrows I used BT and my hair became noticeably thicker, so BT is a great idea :yep:.

See this is what I am here for...I need all of the advice I can get. I have used the ORS OO creem moisturizer before and I loved it. I will have to go out and get another jar.

BTW ~ I am natural and I wear my hair flat ironed (I use the flat iron after I wash...never in between), does anyone have any tips on baggying?

I am natural and I wear my hair flat ironed (I use the flat iron after I wash...never in between), does anyone have any tips on baggying?

Do you plan to baggy only at night? Or during the day? If I'm baggying during the day, I moisturize my hair and concentrate on the ends (and seal w/ coconut oil or EVOO) and put my baggy under a bun cover:

Bun-1.jpg

At night, if I've co-washed, I just moisturize, seal, then baggy my whole head under one of those clear processing caps. I put a satin bonnet over the plastic cap. Sure, it makes a funny crunching noise when I lay my head down and DH is like :rolleyes:, but oh well...:lachen:.

I like these moisturizers for baggying:
- conditioner + aloe gel/juice
- moisturizing conditioner by itself
- ORS in the jar

I like to seal with:
- coconut oil
- EVOO
- Oyin burnt sugar pomade (which contains a few oils and smells DIVINE)

If my ends feel dry or rough, my secret weapon is:

Burts.jpg
Burt's Bees Avocado Butter Pre-Shampoo Treatment

This works as a great pre-poo, but I mainly use it on my ends, wet OR dry! It can be heavy, so don't use it if you're sporting straight, flat-ironed hair (b/c you want to keep the bounce and swing). This is perfect though for braidouts and protective styles.

I am in...I would love to have the support as I get myself together...hmmm...not sure of a good start date...August 1 to give people time to join...and for everyone to get their game plan together...I am still trying to get myself organized...

Do you plan to baggy only at night? Or during the day? If I'm baggying during the day, I moisturize my hair and concentrate on the ends (and seal w/ coconut oil or EVOO) and put my baggy under a bun cover:

Bun-1.jpg

At night, if I've co-washed, I just moisturize, seal, then baggy my whole head under one of those clear processing caps. I put a satin bonnet over the plastic cap. Sure, it makes a funny crunching noise when I lay my head down and DH is like :rolleyes:, but oh well...:lachen:.

I like these moisturizers for baggying:
- conditioner + aloe gel/juice
- moisturizing conditioner by itself
- ORS in the jar

I like to seal with:
- coconut oil
- EVOO
- Oyin burnt sugar pomade (which contains a few oils and smells DIVINE)

If my ends feel dry or rough, my secret weapon is:

Burts.jpg
Burt's Bees Avocado Butter Pre-Shampoo Treatment

This works as a great pre-poo, but I mainly use it on my ends, wet OR dry! It can be heavy, so don't use it if you're sporting straight, flat-ironed hair (b/c you want to keep the bounce and swing). This is perfect though for braidouts and protective styles.

Thanks for the info Galadriel! I need to get me a phony pony so I can baggy during the day.

I actually did a whole head baggy last night, and I must say that the results were amazing...my hair has not felt that soft in ages. I used shea butter conditioner and sealed with olive oil. Needless to say I was "puffy", :blush: so I opted for the half wig this morning.

I just want to thank you ladies for the info!!! As well as the inspiration...I can see the long, healthy hair coming!!!! :grin:

Thank you!:grin: Here are my starting pics. I took these in April. I don't plan to update until October...

front:
1207537050.jpg

back:
1207538840-1.jpg

Sorry about the quality:sad:. I did these with my camera phone.

GReat starting point, just check in with us at the beginning
of each month to let us know how you are doing...:yep:

Thanks for the info Galadriel! I need to get me a phony pony so I can baggy during the day.

I actually did a whole head baggy last night, and I must say that the results were amazing...my hair has not felt that soft in ages. I used shea butter conditioner and sealed with olive oil. Needless to say I was "puffy", :blush: so I opted for the half wig this morning.

I just want to thank you ladies for the info!!! As well as the inspiration...I can see the long, healthy hair coming!!!! :grin:

No problem! And the healthy hair WILL come. :yep:

WELCOME to all the NEWBIE FOLK!!!!

Ooh I see some sistas in here with some gorgeous heads of hair and I'm hat-iiiin...
LOL

I am thinking the same thing on the transition but I don't want to say anything yet bc I am so early in and I don't want to eat my words eventually...:ohwell: You sound like me with the henna and braidouts! :yep: Good to hear from you, sis!

Girl--these ppl (work) been makin my nerves EXTRA bad! Luckily I will resign next month to attend school full-time.

Are you doing henna as well?
Do you like it?

And transitioning....? Giiirrlll....there was a period when I was fighting with it. But these days it IS easier than I thought it'd be. Though I had a huge frightening cloud of frizz and curl to contend with this past weekend...
(Humidity and curls do not mix).
My guy friend was like, "Damn....is all that your hair..."

This whole hair journey has been enlightening. Can't count the number of times where I've just looked in the mirror, saw my hair reacting badly to moisture in the air and said to myself, "THAT's why my mama relaxed me..."

But I should probably hush about it being 'oh so easy', so I don't jinx it.
I cannot keep my fingers out of my head. I wish I was entirely natural right now but I will be transitioning for a minute because I want BSL NATURAL hair.

I should hit APL by the end of the year--if I don't do anything to it.
I'll prolly get into some braids...

GENERAL QUESTION:
What products does everyone use to combat frizziness...?

WELCOME to all the NEWBIE FOLK!!!!

Ooh I see some sistas in here with some gorgeous heads of hair and I'm hat-iiiin...
LOL

Girl--these ppl (work) been makin my nerves EXTRA bad! Luckily I will resign next month to attend school full-time.

Are you doing henna as well?
Do you like it?

And transitioning....? Giiirrlll....there was a period when I was fighting with it. But these days it IS easier than I thought it'd be. Though I had a huge frightening cloud of frizz and curl to contend with this past weekend...
(Humidity and curls do not mix).
My guy friend was like, "Damn....is all that your hair..."

This whole hair journey has been enlightening. Can't count the number of times where I've just looked in the mirror, saw my hair reacting badly to moisture in the air and said to myself, "THAT's why my mama relaxed me..."

But I should probably hush about it being 'oh so easy', so I don't jinx it.
I cannot keep my fingers out of my head. I wish I was entirely natural right now but I will be transitioning for a minute because I want BSL NATURAL hair.

I should hit APL by the end of the year--if I don't do anything to it.
I'll prolly get into some braids...

GENERAL QUESTION:
What products does everyone use to combat frizziness...?

Sabino Mosture Block
It's wassssuppp !!!

Hi All!!!

I am a former lurker who is now a member. I have been lurking for about 2 months now and DH finally told me to not be afraid and jump in so here goes.

I am orginally from New Orleans but my hubby in in the Air Force so we have lived everywhere (and I do mean every where). We are currently in Guam which is a very humid and tropical place. I am finding it hard to locate natural oils locally so I have had to order them and I hate waiting. I am about to sign up for the Mega-Tek challenge and I have already ordered it but the mail can take a week longer than usual here. I can't wait I have viewed some of the progress pics and my mouth hit the floor.

I HAD shoulder lenght hair in Dec. 07 but I got sick and was on some meds that broke my hair off in patches so I got it cut into a bob. I am heathy again and my hair seems to be doing well but now I want my hair back! I am starting out at earlob length :sad: But I guess we all got to start somewhere.

This is my journey and I am happy to be tagging along with you ladies on yours.

Back