Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

Hey ladies

Welcome to anyone that I may have missed....

I would like to know what everyone's doing to their hair for the summer?

I am thinking of braiding but I really dont know. I bought a half wig on Saturday and I really like it but I still wanna do something different.

As of now, i've been mainly trying to stay away from heat and airdrying, and rollersetting. I have also been washing more frequently. I to plan to get micros at the end of the month and keeping them in for about 3 months, lets hope so,lol. But just trying diff things, and keeping lots of moisture in my hair.

@BLUEENIGMA...Naw...I ain't got no Fotki. I need to get one. I'll get one as soon as I get a digital camera. I can't focus well with this camera on my cell.:ohwell:

@PRETTY....I dunno.:sad: I'm getting tired of these dern braid outs.
And I've been fighting 'urges' all weekend.:grin:
First I wanted to cut it (I really like that hair cut that Posh spice wears...or a cute little bob)
NOW I want to relax it!
I'm trying but I always hack it off at this point (SL). I dare not skip a day of cowashing! Did that yesterday. Forgot that my hair becomes self-aware in certain conditions!

'IT' would not behave!

I think it's all in my mind. :grin:Cause I'm itchin to do something to it.
I'ma HAVE to get in some weave or a a sew-in quickly--before I do something drastic.):grin:

HEY SUPAGYRL...:wavey:

I'm new and extremely late but also extremely confused! Is it too late for me to join? I'm learning so much but it seems like every new thing confuses me even more. Also when I tell friends about the crazy stuff I am doing to my hair they look at me crazy..like the relaxer stretching did not go over well w my bff, she told me I was crazy and needed a hot comb :ohwell:-I'm 9 weeks post- go me! go me! I wldnt say I have a set regime yet..I'm getting there, finding my groove. I need support please, please, please.

Welcome Supagyrl!!!!!!!!!!! You are in the right place. Yes, u will have people who give u those, is she crazy? looks. But you know that with time and patience, you will reap good benefits. It takes trial and error to get a good regi, i haven't got mine set either, but trying things to see what works for you is key, just don't jump on every bandwagon because everything isn't for everybody. but welcome again!!!!!! :grin:

Hey ladies haven't forgot about you guys.. i havent posted in a while... everything is going good for me, I am now 11 weeks post:yep:...and have decided to transition to natural....im excited!!! Welcome to all the new ladies!!!!!!

Ladies I took a progress pic today after about 3 months (late feb to today) and I'm happy with the results. I have basically been doing protective styling (wigs/faux buns) for the last month and a half. People will ask me who did my hair & I will tell them it is a wig and they are like why are you wearing wigs when you have such nice hair. I try and explain I'm on a mission but they just give me a :ohwell: look. So i see it has been worth it and once this blowout gets washed out on Friday back to protective styling, mn mixture and co-washing twice a week I go.

Comparison pic in my siggie.

Happy hair growing ladies!

ETA: I will be doing protective styling for the majority of the summer. Unless it gets to be too much heat then I will figure something else out.

Ladies I took a progress pic today after about 3 months (late feb to today) and I'm happy with the results. I have basically been doing protective styling (wigs/faux buns) for the last month and a half. People will ask me who did my hair & I will tell them it is a wig and they are like why are you wearing wigs when you have such nice hair. I try and explain I'm on a mission but they just give me a :ohwell: look. So i see it has been worth it and once this blowout gets washed out on Friday back to protective styling, mn mixture and co-washing twice a week I go.

ETA: I will be doing protective styling for the majority of the summer. Unless it gets to be too much heat then I will figure something else out.

Pearl, your hair looks great. It looks full and thick and glossy. Keep it up!!!!!! :grin:

Pr3tty this summer I plan keeping my hair protected. Initially I planned to wear wigs or half wigs... but it was so hot here today in Texas that I took my half wig off at work :blush: hahaha I sure as hell did. I walked out the restroom with it in my hand and my co-workers were like what the hell! It was hot... and I have no shame.:nono: Okay so to answer your question I plan to wear clips, buns, and keep it well moisturized. With my job I'm limited to styles.

Last edited:
thanks fiya. just trying to figure out that hard v i got going in the back. i will wait to cut though. when i went to the stylist on friday she asked did i want to trim my ends. i was like no my ends are good. so she says true but you should cut with every touch up. :wallbash: huh? see if i didnt have this board i would believe that tom foolery and would loose length for no reason. :nono:

Girl, you have grown!!! Congrats! Your hair looks fabulous!:grin:

ETA: I will be doing protective styling for the majority of the summer. Unless it gets to be too much heat then I will figure something else out.[/QUOTE

Pearlfection.....Ur hair looks great!!!! Its growing really fast!

Last edited:

ETA: I will be doing protective styling for the majority of the summer. Unless it gets to be too much heat then I will figure something else out.[/QUOTE

Pearlfection.....Ur hair looks great!!!! Its growing really fast!

BB, don't worry about what folks say!!! You know what you are doing and why you are doing it...and for the record....YOUR HAIR LOOKS GREAT!!!! :yep: Good job, girl!! How's managing your NG coming? I have almost an inch and I am at 6 weeks post today- I've been experiencing a growthspurt recently, though, and my hair is growing- so I hope it keeps going fast...the faster the better for my transition...

Is there room for another Newbie? I realized that I really need to join a newbie group...some of the talk in the other threads is over my head.

I plan to co-wash and bun it up all summer. Maybe I'll buy a ponytail and baggy my bun under that. I don't want to straighten my hair until my birthday on Sept 14th....we'll see.

As of now, i've been mainly trying to stay away from heat and airdrying, and rollersetting. I have also been washing more frequently. I to plan to get micros at the end of the month and keeping them in for about 3 months, lets hope so,lol. But just trying diff things, and keeping lots of moisture in my hair.

Hey Fiya!!!

This week I took a page out of your book. I DC & roller set and let air dry and sealed w/coconut oil. My hair feels really soft and bouncy :grin: .

5-15-08A.jpg

Welcome all new ladies !!!

Is there room for another Newbie? I realized that I really need to join a newbie group...some of the talk in the other threads is over my head.

I plan to co-wash and bun it up all summer. Maybe I'll buy a ponytail and baggy my bun under that. I don't want to straighten my hair until my birthday on Sept 14th....we'll see.

:welcome3:Your hair is pretty in your avi!:yep: I plan on co-washing and bunning all summer as well!

ETA: Where can I buy flexi8 clips, yall?

Last edited:
COUNT ME IN COUNT ME IN!

My subscription just went through today I'm so excited =) Right now my hair is in cornrows for the summer.. but I plan to redo them every 3-4 weeks and I promise to take pics everytime to post =D

Ladies off topic: Are any of you planning to go to Vegas for the Conference in July? It will be nice to meet all the other sistahs on LHCF... but it would great to meet up with you all since we all started our journey together. Just wondering :look:

Okay back to business.... Welcome Newbies :yep:

Welcome Joy and Bri!!! :circle:

:bling: :kewlpics: Girl, your hair looks great!! Keep up the good work :D

ETA: Where can I buy flexi8 clips, yall?

Yeah, like Joy said, Flexi8.com. Buuuut, I suggest ordering the large if you're looking to do a french twist or something. I got 5 like a dummy (found a coupon for buy 4, get one free (or 10% off); blue-32088). So I got 2 small and 3 medium b/c I listened to the stupid video on how to pick a size, and the dang-on medium barely fits! Forget about the small.... :offrant:

It's ok tho, because now I'm going to return them and jump on the Ovation bandwagon LOL! :rofl: I'm doing fine just bunning with the new elastics that I bought by Goody (they feel like pieces of stocking and don't get that weird little space in them that catches your hair when they've been stretched...) I'm just being very careful taking them in and out. Got some Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In today from Walmart and as heavy as that stuff is, I'm not worried about breakage now. My hair is nice and coated. :lick:

Last edited:

Yeah, like Joy said, Flexi8.com. Buuuut, I suggest ordering the large if you're looking to do a french twist or something. I got 5 like a dummy (found a coupon for buy 4, get one free (or 10% off); blue-32088). So I got 2 small and 3 medium b/c I listened to the stupid video on how to pick a size, and the dang-on medium barely fits! Forget about the small.... :offrant:

It's ok tho, because now I'm going to return them and jump on the Ovation bandwagon LOL! :rofl: I'm doing fine just bunning with the new elastics that I bought by Goody (they feel like pieces of stocking and don't get that weird little space in them that catches your hair when they've been stretched...) I'm just being very careful taking them in and out. Got some Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In today from Walmart and as heavy as that stuff is, I'm not worried about breakage now. My hair is nice and coated. :lick:

THANKS!! That was my next question, KLo. I think I'll just get the large as I am wearing more textured hair and protective styles for the summer!:yep: :thankyou: for the coupon code. Ima try it...and this is my LAST purchase for the summer...FOR REAL!!!!(fingers crossed behind my back...)

Welcome Supagyrl!!!!!!!!!!! You are in the right place. Yes, u will have people who give u those, is she crazy? looks. But you know that with time and patience, you will reap good benefits. It takes trial and error to get a good regi, i haven't got mine set either, but trying things to see what works for you is key, just don't jump on every bandwagon because everything isn't for everybody. but welcome again!!!!!! :grin:

Thanks for the encouragement I need it :grin:! Ladies I have a question. I am about 9 weeks post relaxer and I have realized I have 3 textures going on. I'm not sure of the numbers but the most difficult texture is really giving me a hard time w tangles..its basically my edges about 2 inches worth---grrrrrrr:wallbash:. Can anyone suggest some protective styles to do while I'm trying to tame this part. I've been reading stuff about using S-curl for new growth but I'm a little unclear about what it will do. I do alot of twist outs but have to pin them back bc my hair is uneven-working on that.

Thanks Morenita !!! How do you like the Cantu Shea Butter? My hair felt dry after using it ? It gave me crazy shrinkage too !!
I may have to use it on my hair line only

Last edited:
Hi Phoenixx and Morenita!!! Thanks for the love ladies. Its great to have a community of women supporting one another. :yep:

I also agree with the comments about the Flexi8 clips. I ordered a large even though my hair isn't super long. In my experience, I've learned that it's safer for us (3's and 4's) to do this because our hair is thicker and has more mass.

Hey Fiya!!!

This week I took a page out of your book. I DC & roller set and let air dry and sealed w/coconut oil. My hair feels really soft and bouncy :grin: .

5-15-08A.jpg

Welcome all new ladies !!!

Hey Klo!!!! Your hair looks so nice!!!! I definitely love the air sets. If only they took less time to dry,lol. I will post some pics of my set later on tonight. Its about 5 days old now.

And :welcome3: Joyandfaith and Bri!!!!!

Hey Klo!!!! Your hair looks so nice!!!! I definitely love the air sets. If only they took less time to dry,lol. I will post some pics of my set later on tonight. Its about 5 days old now.

And :welcome3: Joyandfaith and Bri!!!!!
Thanks Fiya..I set it over nite...12 hrs...it wasn't too bad since I only used 4 rollers. The set holds for quite a few days. Can't wait to see your pics :peek2:.

Thanks Fiya..I set it over nite...12 hrs...it wasn't too bad since I only used 4 rollers. The set holds for quite a few days. Can't wait to see your pics :peek2:.

12 hours isn't bad at all, especially for your length.

The pics below are of my rollerset. My curls are 5 days old on these.
55f52d.jpg

i36gsk.jpg

These are my progress pics. I didn't post a length shot at the beginning of the month. They look the same to me, it does look like its getting thicker though.
Length shot pictures
March 4, 2008:
bi2u6e.jpg

May 16, 2008:
2hdpd9l.jpg

2w6guuu.jpg

ejvtjn.jpg

Hi guys I joined a couple of months ago but I dont have a particular group so I would like to join this newbie group if thats okay. I have goddess braids now but could someone please explain how to download your pictures from the camera on to the site so I can show my progress.:perplexed

12 hours isn't bad at all, especially for your length.

The pics below are of my rollerset. My curls are 5 days old on these.
55f52d.jpg

i36gsk.jpg

These are my progress pics. I didn't post a length shot at the beginning of the month. They look the same to me, it does look like its getting thicker though.
Length shot pictures
March 4, 2008:
bi2u6e.jpg

May 16, 2008:
2hdpd9l.jpg

2w6guuu.jpg

ejvtjn.jpg
It's growing girl!!!:yep::yep::yep: What size roller do you use?

:dance7:Welcome:dance7:
Ms Sunshine & Mikisha

I upload my pics to photobucket and post from there.Check Suggestions/Q&A at the top of the discussion forum for details. I hope this helps.

Back