Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

Ok so no one can throw a few helpful tidbits my way about serum? Does the whole board have me on ignore?

:bighug:aw, boo- You are not on ignore. I really don't use serum. The only serum I know about is the kind that folks apply to their hair like before a wrap or roller set or blow/air dry/flat iron (ie Keracare Silken Seal or Prosilk or something similiar). I don't like them for my hair as they make my hair kinda dull and dry looking, which is odd because I tried the kind for shine...:perplexed I think there are different kinds but I think a lot of folks use them for thermal styling?... I don't use it so I tried not to reply 'cause I am known for replying with my :twocents: like I am a professional but without personal experience:lachen:...sorry, tho- you are not on ignore

Hey, ladies! Here is my May update pic (click to see larger) and status...I am transitioning to natural hair. 4 weeks in:lachen:, so my NG is barely there. Since I have decided to transition, I trimmed another inch off the ends of my hair as I'd like to get rid of the layers and keep my ends as healthy as possible during the transition.

My goal is to fully transition and cut relaxed ends at 18 months. :grin: My hope is that my natural hair will be between SL and APL at that time. If not, I may chop anyway. My original goal was to make BSL this year, but I think I will abandon that for the new goal of transitioning for 18 months before chopping relaxed ends. There is no way I could transition for 3 years to natural stretched BSL, I know me:ohwell:, so I'm changing my goal from acheiving BSL this year and hopefully can maintain btw APL and BSL for the transition....

Attachments

• May 08 update.JPG
    May 08 update.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 12
Wow @ FM, Klo's and Pretty's hair!!!!! All three look so nice!!!!!!! and Lurker, i'm just amazed at that growth. Your hair really grew!!!!! Congrats!!!!!! I'll post mine when i finish and decide what i'm gonna do to it,lol.

:bighug:aw, boo- You are not on ignore. I really don't use serum. The only serum I know about is the kind that folks apply to their hair like before a wrap or roller set or blow/air dry/flat iron (ie Keracare Silken Seal or Prosilk or something similiar). I don't like them for my hair as they make my hair kinda dull and dry looking, which is odd because I tried the kind for shine...:perplexed I think there are different kinds but I think a lot of folks use them for thermal styling?... I don't use it so I tried not to reply 'cause I am known for replying with my :twocents: like I am a professional but without personal experience:lachen:...sorry, tho- you are not on ignore

Cosigning nodisrespect :yep:.....There are different types of serums...for thermal heat styling/shine/hair thickener...e.g.Chi Silk Infusion, IC Plus Hair Polisher & Straightening Serum & Organix Anti breakage Serum.

What are you interested in ?

Last edited:
@NODISRESPECT...Hey girl. :wave: I didn't really see your post. But if I did-- I prolly didn't answer because I didn't know anything about it...sorry.

Well KLOMAXX brought up a few serums and I have the Chi Silk infusion serum --but I don't really use it because I'm trying to cut down on heat at the moment.
And honestly...I don't even know what the heck it's supposed to do (Impulse buy). ...I just saw the words, 'silk protein' and was like, "Oooh...!"
:grin:

It does make the hair very soft. A little does go a long way...

Hey, ladies! Here is my May update pic (click to see larger) and status...I am transitioning to natural hair. 4 weeks in:lachen:, so my NG is barely there. Since I have decided to transition, I trimmed another inch off the ends of my hair as I'd like to get rid of the layers and keep my ends as healthy as possible during the transition.

My goal is to fully transition and cut relaxed ends at 18 months. :grin: My hope is that my natural hair will be between SL and APL at that time. If not, I may chop anyway. My original goal was to make BSL this year, but I think I will abandon that for the new goal of transitioning for 18 months before chopping relaxed ends. There is no way I could transition for 3 years to natural stretched BSL, I know me:ohwell:, so I'm changing my goal from acheiving BSL this year and hopefully can maintain btw APL and BSL for the transition....

I just love your hair and I want it... Is that 2 much 2 ask 4???

Very nice!!!!

I'm almost a month into my new hair growth regimen. I mixed up a new batch of MN, have started using Lacio Lacio, and I've added SAA to all my hair products. My stylist told me that my hair is very healthy and nowhere near as dry and brittle as it was earlier this year. My next relaxer is May 16th. I have a lot of new growth (love that MN mix of mine :grin:)
I'll add new pics to my Fotki after my next touch up. I think this summer I will start stretching between relaxers. My hair shedding has decreased a lot too. I get inspired when I see the hair photos on the forum. This site os a wealth of info. I'm going to mix up a batch of MN for my mom who's hair is thinning a little on the sides and in the back.

Thanks for the welcome!!!! Here's my newly created Fotki journal:
http://public.fotki.com/MissKim0109/im-growing-my-hair-long/

My regimen is pretty simple:

Every 6.5 to 8 weeks:
Relaxer touch up with Affirm Dry & Itchy. Deep conditioning treatment and wrap.

Daily:
Vitamins and Supplements: Take my GNC Hair, Skin, and Nails Vitamins, along with a Woman's One A Day.

Drink at least 4 cups of water while I'm at work and two when I get home.

Mist hair with Ellin LaVar TherMist before I curl. I curl my hair with the iron set on a very low heat setting and I just bump the ends. Spray with ORS Olive Oil Sheen.

Every 2 to 3 nights:
Apply my MN mix to my scalp, wrap my hair with a silk scarf and off to bed.

Weekly:
Every week I see my stylist for a shampoo, deep conditioning treatment, and wrap.

As soon as my Lacio Lacio and SAA arrive I will incorporate them into my regimen.

I just love your hair and I want it... Is that 2 much 2 ask 4???

You laughing, but I may be doing a BC this fall (after my best friend's wedding) and sending it to ya! I am trying to be patience, as I know it's a virtue:lachen:, but it ain't my thing! Trying real hard, the only thing that's getting me by is that I may be able to cut like an inch every coupla months or so...maybe that will curb the itch...:perplexed

Girlie, you make me feel good!:grin: THANKS!

I'm almost a month into my new hair growth regimen. I mixed up a new batch of MN, have started using Lacio Lacio, and I've added SAA to all my hair products. My stylist told me that my hair is very healthy and nowhere near as dry and brittle as it was earlier this year. My next relaxer is May 16th. I have a lot of new growth (love that MN mix of mine :grin:)
I'll add new pics to my Fotki after my next touch up. I think this summer I will start stretching between relaxers. My hair shedding has decreased a lot too. I get inspired when I see the hair photos on the forum. This site os a wealth of info. I'm going to mix up a batch of MN for my mom who's hair is thinning a little on the sides and in the back.

You workin' it out, huh? You think the MN is helping with the growth and shedding?? How do you make your MN mix again? Whatcha put in it? You use the straight MN like Fiya?

You laughing, but I may be doing a BC this fall (after my best friend's wedding) and sending it to ya! I am trying to be patience, as I know it's a virtue:lachen:, but it ain't my thing! Trying real hard, the only thing that's getting me by is that I may be able to cut like an inch every coupla months or so...maybe that will curb the itch...:perplexed

I want some too!!!! :grin:

How are you wearing your hair to the wedding?

Hi Ladies,
I am sorry that I have not been posting anything for a last couple of weeks. I have been having some medical problems with my pregnancy but by the grace of God things have drastically improved and I am feeling a lot better. Well, I have also not been taking care of my hair because I mind was on other things, I know that's bad but y'all understand. Yesterday I clarified my hair with baking soda and washed it for the first time in months is AO Island Naturals. I used and ORS packet and left in my hair until about a hour ago. I used Infusium leave-in and applied Fantasia IC gel with sparkle lites and sealed my ends with coconut oil. My hair is thanking me for the little bit of TLC it has just gotten. I hope that everyone is good and happy.

Hi Ladies,
I am sorry that I have not been posting anything for a last couple of weeks. I have been having some medical problems with my pregnancy but by the grace of God things have drastically improved and I am feeling a lot better. Well, I have also not been taking care of my hair because I mind was on other things, I know that's bad but y'all understand. Yesterday I clarified my hair with baking soda and washed it for the first time in months is AO Island Naturals. I used and ORS packet and left in my hair until about a hour ago. I used Infusium leave-in and applied Fantasia IC gel with sparkle lites and sealed my ends with coconut oil. My hair is thanking me for the little bit of TLC it has just gotten. I hope that everyone is good and happy.

I hope things continue to look up for you Cindyl and i'll remember to put you in my prayers. :)

Hi Ladies,

Girl your health and that baby is first. I hope all is well and things continue to go well for you and we will be able to share in the joy of the birth of your baby. We are always here and we understand when ur not.

If I see any hair missing off ur head I will have 2 call ur DH and tell him to lock you away very far from those cutting tools

Yeah I'm trying too, lol. I think the MN is helping with the growth definitely. I don't know why the shedding has decreased so much. Maybe it's the fact that I added SAA to all my products or the GNC vitamins I take. Here's my MN mix recipe:
entire tube of MN (Walgreen's brand)
1/2 tsp of Elasta QP Mango Butter Moisturizer
a few drops (like 4 to 5 drops) of lavendar/tea tree oil
1.5 cap full of SAA
2 drops of KeraCare Essential Oils. Mix well.

I apply it to my scalp every 2 to 3 days and I massage some onto my edges before I wrap my hair at night. The first time I just used MN with the lavendar/tea tree oil and the scent was a little too pungent and medicinal. I just looked in one of my hair product bins to see what else I had that was moisturizing and had a good scent. I'm going to stick with this mixture for a while.

You workin' it out, huh? You think the MN is helping with the growth and shedding?? How do you make your MN mix again? Whatcha put in it? You use the straight MN like Fiya?

^^^
Hmm...MN? Will have to research that sometime...although I don't really put things on my scalp. Maybe I should start. What's SAA?

Ok--
Silly question but how often does everyone heatstyle? Or did everybody just stop heatstyling? ...and how often do you think you could heat-style without sacrificing your hair's progress?
I know it'd hurt my hair to do it every week but what about every 2 weeks or so?
I've just been in braid-outs everyday. I'm getting tired of them. lol.
But...regardless of how sick I am of them--I'll prolly be holding off on heat-styling for awhile. At least another 6-8 weeks.

In other news:
My NG has made an appearance! I'm so in love with my texture.:love3:

@CINDYL...I hope you and your child are doing well.:yep:

Ladies,
I am sooooo tempted to even out this hair in the back. There is a 2 inch difference between the underneath length and the top length. Due to two different lengths my hair appears thin in the back!!!!!:wallbash: My 3month no trim challenge ends May 20th. Should I just even this hair out in the back or continue to keep trimming every three months until the underneath gets longer then even it out????? The scissors are calling me. This has happened before and I usually just cut my lost and lose the length and even it out!!!!! Any suggestions??? You know everyone tells you oh what are you doing to your hair its thin in the back but, I hate having to say NO ITS TWO DIFFERENT LENGTHS!!!:nono:
oh and my edges are looking a lil thin!!! GREAT!

This is crazy....It grows breaks I get it cut viscious cicle! Evertime I look at my Fotki my hair should be waist length by now!! just needed to vent. Oh I decided to order Ovation cell therapy.

SAA = Silk Amino Acids which I purchased from Lotioncrafter, http://www.lotioncrafter.com/store/Silk-Amino-Acids-pr-16295.html

I heat style every other day on a very low heat setting and I use a thermal protectant before I heat style.

^^^
Hmm...MN? Will have to research that sometime...although I don't really put things on my scalp. Maybe I should start. What's SAA?

Ok--
Silly question but how often does everyone heatstyle? Or did everybody just stop heatstyling? ...and how often do you think you could heat-style without sacrificing your hair's progress?
I know it'd hurt my hair to do it every week but what about every 2 weeks or so?
I've just been in braid-outs everyday. I'm getting tired of them. lol.
But...regardless of how sick I am of them--I'll prolly be holding off on heat-styling for awhile. At least another 6-8 weeks.

In other news:
My NG has made an appearance! I'm so in love with my texture.:love3:

@CINDYL...I hope you and your child are doing well.:yep:

Hi Ladies,

Awww...sweetie...I am So glad you are feeling better:yep: Take care of you and that little one...

I want some too!!!! :grin:

How are you wearing your hair to the wedding?

I am SO not sure...:lachen:I think it will depend on my dress (and the state of my NG - LOL!), but she is getting married in Atlanta, so I was thinking about breaking down and going to the Dominican salon while I was there to get a roller set and root blow out, since I have been ITCHING to try one since I first found out about them....I don't know, bc I'm not good with pain and people are saying the dyers are hot and they tug your hair...:ohwell: I still haven't decided yet...

Yeah I'm trying too, lol. I think the MN is helping with the growth definitely. I don't know why the shedding has decreased so much. Maybe it's the fact that I added SAA to all my products or the GNC vitamins I take. Here's my MN mix recipe:
entire tube of MN (Walgreen's brand)
1/2 tsp of Elasta QP Mango Butter Moisturizer
a few drops (like 4 to 5 drops) of lavendar/tea tree oil
1.5 cap full of SAA
2 drops of KeraCare Essential Oils. Mix well.

I apply it to my scalp every 2 to 3 days and I massage some onto my edges before I wrap my hair at night. The first time I just used MN with the lavendar/tea tree oil and the scent was a little too pungent and medicinal. I just looked in one of my hair product bins to see what else I had that was moisturizing and had a good scent. I'm going to stick with this mixture for a while.

Hmmm....you got it worked out over there. That sounds like some good stuff in there....hmmmm....see, I didn't know people made mixtures with it...i get that...good lord, i thought people were putting monistat on their head...so corn-frused:perplexed but ya'll are definitly helping to clear it up for me:yep:

ETA: MissKim, I heat style maybe once a month (sometimes less) - ususally when I do length checks or progress pics. I do a blowdry and flat iron...

SAA = Silk Amino Acids which I purchased from Lotioncrafter,http://www.lotioncrafter.com/store/Silk-Amino-Acids-pr-16295.html
I heat style every other day on a very low heat setting and I use a thermal protectant before I heat style.

Oh...ok!
Lotioncrafter's? Hey...I already have them in my bookmarks!:scratchch
>>>sigh<<
Oh lord--I don't need to buy anymore crap.. :perplexed
In addition to a liter of Elucence conditioner, I just bought a freaking kilo of Amla powder+the oil, coconut/rosemary/sweet almond oil, a pound of shea butter and 'black soap,...

My hair responds so well to Henna, Elucence and oils and other natural ingredients that I'm tweaking my regimen so that I'm using mostly natural ingredients. I'm finding that some ingredients in shampoos and such are found to be damaging to hair in the long-run.

Thank God these products are relatively inexpensive.

Well--
I confess that I've never used a heat protectant before and maybe that was half the problem. I do have some (chi silk infusion, nexxus and some other one I can't think of). I have to get a CHI with a dial heat setting.
Mine doesn't have one. :nono:
I didn't even check because I assumed all CHI's had a dial setting.
Think I'll sell it and buy a new one...

@SUMMER...:stop:
Step away from the scissors! :spank:
I understand and as a recovering 'heat addict' (LOL) it's precisely what I must tell myself every week concerning my CHI.

But if there's no breakage why you cutting in it? Get into protective styling or you could just wait until the time you'd initially set for yourself and then reassess the situation....?
In any case, you can't reach hair goals unless you stick to them, y'know?

@FINDINGME... I know it's silly to lump everybody together but I gotta say--all the negative talk about Dominican stylists (on this board in general) kinda scares me away from them. I'd be concerned with them burning all my hair off. Do you know good ones?

Oh...ok!
Lotioncrafter's? Hey...I already have them in my bookmarks!:scratchch
>>>sigh<<
Oh lord--I don't need to buy anymore crap.. :perplexed
In addition to a liter of Elucence conditioner, I just bought a freaking kilo of Amla powder+the oil, coconut/rosemary/sweet almond oil, a pound of shea butter and 'black soap,...

My hair responds so well to Henna, Elucence and oils and other natural ingredients that I'm tweaking my regimen so that I'm using mostly natural ingredients. I'm finding that some ingredients in shampoos and such are found to be damaging to hair in the long-run.

Thank God these products are relatively inexpensive.

Well--
I confess that I've never used a heat protectant before and maybe that was half the problem. I do have some (chi silk infusion, nexxus and some other one I can't think of). I have to get a CHI with a dial heat setting.
Mine doesn't have one. :nono:
I didn't even check because I assumed all CHI's had a dial setting.
Think I'll sell it and buy a new one...

@SUMMER...:stop:
Step away from the scissors! :spank:
I understand and as a recovering 'heat addict' (LOL) it's precisely what I must tell myself every week concerning my CHI.

But if there's no breakage why you cutting in it? Get into protective styling or you could just wait until the time you'd initially set for yourself and then reassess the situation....?
In any case, you can't reach hair goals unless you stick to them, y'know?

@FINDINGME... I know it's silly to lump everybody together but I gotta say--all the negative talk about Dominican stylists (on this board in general) kinda scares me away from them. I'd be concerned with them burning all my hair off. Do you know good ones?

ummm...no:look:- see that's why I'm kinda going back and forth on it...maybe one time won't burn me out? I'm transitioning anyway, so even if I have to cut relaxed ends , it's no big deal? Listen at me trying to justify going to get my hair burned:perplexed I'm just SO doggone curious...

PR3TTY, I am extremely late. Is it too late to join?? I like this newbie style thread because I am fairly new, and am still catching up with all of the hair lingo and acronyms everyone is throwing around on the boards. I just figured out today that Cones refers to Silicone, and PJ (probably) means Product Junkie (I could be wrong about this one, but from the context it's used in this seems about right).

I just set up my Fotki album tonight, and will be updating the pictures monthly. Every month on the 6th. Hope I'm not too late.:wallbash:

PR3TTY, I am extremely late. Is it too late to join?? I like this newbie style thread because I am fairly new, and am still catching up with all of the hair lingo and acronyms everyone is throwing around on the boards. I just figured out today that Cones refers to Silicone, and PJ (probably) means Product Junkie (I could be wrong about this one, but from the context it's used in this seems about right).

I just set up my Fotki album tonight, and will be updating the pictures monthly. Every month on the 6th. Hope I'm not too late.:wallbash:

Welcome :) I'm sure you'll fit right in! I joined not too long ago myself, but you pick up stuff quick.

FYI: Cones refers to products with any ingredient ending in -cone, like Silicone as you stated, but also Dimethicone, Cylomethicone, etc. The theory is that they "mask" the damage in your hair, making it appear as though you do not have split ends for example, and some ladies just have bad results with them in general. Somebody was saying they make her hair fall out? Idk how I feel about them just yet. I do love the slip they give though. And yes, PJ = Product Junkie :p

:welcome2:We are just one big happy family in here :circle:and this is the place you want to be when you have a question, 'cause we are all trying to figure it out... This is our safe zone, we ask anything and are not afraid to make mistakes 'cause we know someone here will have some helpful suggestions for us...

:cowgirl:off to check out your FOTKI! :lachen: Welcome again!!!

ETA: OOOOHHHHH, your hair is SO pretty!!! YOu have the perfect haircolor!! I want it, so shiny and silky, too!!! LOVE IT :lick:(and you smile!):yep: Welcome again!!

Last edited:
Back