Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

OK. well my hair seems to LOVE silicone. I just rummaged through my stockpile, and yeesh, practically every product I own has a "Cone" in it. Except for this new organic shampoo and conditioner I purchased a week or so ago. It has lovely organic ingredients, and I find myself routinely going back to the bottles to read the ingredients; It makes me feel fuzzy lololol. The maker is Giovanni, and the name is Smooth as Silk. Really great ingredient list.

I have become somewhat obsessed with this hair thing, and find myself ordering/purchasing a new product every-single-day. The good thing is, I mostly buy the small 5/8 ounce ampules of stuff, which are only one dollar to 4 dollars a piece. I get the Infusium, Smooth as Silk, Pantene, placenta treatments, deep conditioners, rinse conditioners, and on and on. Almost every product out there comes in a 5/8 ounce one-use size. Since I love variety, I get bored quickly with the large sizes. I have mounds of full size products that I simply grew tired of/bored with. So I almost never buy a full size product anymore.

One thing I find VERY relaxing, fun, and good for my hair, is slathering on conditioner while I am in the steam room at the gym. I do this two to three times a week. Sometimes, I will condition/steam/rinse for three to four cycles, using a different ampule of something each time. Recently, I mixed together my own formulation with stuff ordered from Lotion Crafters and Garden of Wisdom, and cannot wait to slap it on during my next gym session in a few days.:lick:

Last edited:
OK. well my hair seems to LOVE silicone. I just rummaged through my stockpile, and yeesh, practically every product I own has a "Cone" in it. Except for this new organic shampoo and conditioner I purchased a week or so ago. It has lovely organic ingredients, and I find myself routinely going back to the bottles to read the ingredients; It makes me feel fuzzy lololol. The maker is Giovanni, and the name is Smooth as Silk. Really great ingredient list.

I have become somewhat obsessed with this hair thing, and find myself ordering/purchasing a new product every-single-day. The good thing is, I mostly buy the small 5/8 ounce ampules of stuff, which are only one dollar to 4 dollars a piece. I get the Infusium, Smooth as Silk, Pantene, placenta treatments, deep conditioners, rinse conditioners, and on and on. Almost every product out there comes in a 5/8 ounce one-use size. Since I love variety, I get bored quickly with the large sizes. I have mounds of full size products that I simply grew tired of/bored with. So I almost never buy a full size product anymore.

One thing I find VERY relaxing, fun, and good for my hair, is slathering on conditioner while I am in the steam room at he gym. I do this two to three times a week. Sometimes, I will condition/steam/rinse for three to four cycles, using a different ampule of something each time. Recently, I mixed together my own formulation with stuff oredered from Lotion Crafters and Garden of Wisdom, and cannot wait to slap it on during my next gym session in a few days.:lick:

Look at you, with only 8 posts -- all that knowledge, a bit of a PJ fetish and a mild-moderate obsession to boot! :lachen: Girl, you'll fit right in!!!

:welcome2:We are just one big happy family in here :circle:and this is the place you want to be when you have a question, 'cause we are all trying to figure it out... This is our safe zone, we ask anything and are not afraid to make mistakes 'cause we know someone here will have some helpful suggestions for us...

:cowgirl:off to check out your FOTKI! :lachen: Welcome again!!!

ETA: OOOOHHHHH, your hair is SO pretty!!! YOu have the perfect haircolor!! I want it, so shiny and silky, too!!! LOVE IT :lick:(and you smile!):yep: Welcome again!!

Thank You!!! yeah, now I need the LENGTH...Grrrrr. Anyway, off to bed. That Fotki thing tired me out. I had my 9 year old daughter take the pictures. She was so annoyed. She was like, "mom, can I go to bed now?" Poor thing. And my husband just rolled his eyes and went in the bedroom. They are both so disgusted with my hair obsession.

HI PHOENIXX!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for the big greeting :lachen:I am at work now. It's so funny because although I know I am expected to do work while I'm here, all I keep thinking about is how to scheme up some more free time so that I can get on this Forum.

I'm off to look around the product forum to see what else I might want to get. That Mega Tek sounds good.

Phoenixx, what is your regimen?? Are you taking any supplements; any special hair products that you feel have helped??
-------------------------------------------------------------
To everyone, if you have any particular product/supplement that you are using that you feel is great, please put me on to it. I have been reading about the Monistat (vaginal) cream on these boards, but don't know if I'm up to it just yet. I'm afraid of showing up at my local Rite Aid every week to buy yeast medication. People might start wondering:think:. Also, I keep having this image of putting it in my hair and waking up completely bald. Anyone experiment with this treatment???

Last edited:
well I just learned that the active ingredient in Monistat that folks are supposedly benefitting from is the Miconazole Nitrate, due to its' antifungal activity. People have been substituting Neosporin AF instead, as it also has the antifungal ingredient. So I might try the Neosporin AF thing, since I would be less bashful to purchase it on a regular basis (or in bulk). I have to read some more testimonials, however, before I decide (also see more results pics).

lol.
Girl I just be hiding and typin. :grin: Like I ain't got no damn job. Naw--but it's slow round this time so--I can devote my energy to more *ahem* 'important matters'.
Like....hair. :grin:

But--Your hair problems may not be the same as mine so just take it for what it is, know what I'm saying?

I'm really revamping my regiman right now trying to include more natural products, y'know so I'm not using all the stuff that I was. Basically I suffer from breakage and dryness. So I'm about avoiding dryness and retaining as much moisture as possible. Just keeping my styles simple and avoiding heat (for now). I think it's working as long as I can keep the heat out...when I took my sig avatar pics I could tell it was too soon because my hair felt so dry afterward.:nono: And I used a heat protectant. I went through each section once with the flat iron.
But---it'll be a minute before I put heat in it again.

*REGIMEN*
No HEAT....was a great step in improving the health of my hair.
COWASHING...helped me tremedously.
BRAIDOUTS or some other low maintenance style

I cowash every day because I rebraid my hair every day so....might as well right? lol
I cowash with a conditioner that doubles as a leave-in (elucence).
Elucence seems to turn most others ppl's hair to mush (lol)...but it helps me. Which should tell you how moisture deficient I am. :grin:
I've slept with conditioner on my head and it doesn't hurt ME, per se. But some ppl can't do that. Or they'll have to throw protein treatments in there to combat the softness.
I shampoo every week 1/2 to 2 weeks.

I don't really have a day dedicated to DCin anymore and I've found that cowashing everyday really helps in the long run because if I'm not having to work so hard on Sunday to reverse the damage from manipulation, heat styling that has gone on all week.

So basically, I cowash, sit around in it for a while, rinse, apply leave-in mix and some oils or creme and braid up. That's it.

~PATIENCE~
It can take a while to reverse serious damage and breakage or to grow to SL, APL and beyond...
Rome wasn't built overnight, y'know? But just consider that most ppl get 3/4 or 1/2 inch maybe of hair growth a mth. You could get more.
I do.
So...if you're feeling disenchanted with the whole hair process---just imagine where you'll be 6 mths from now if you keep up good hair habits.

~VITAMINS~

Biotin
Women's One a Day Weight Smart. I hear that Biotin can cause breakouts but I don't have that problem. I drink a lot of water though so....y'know...
~OILS n Such~
I've purchased and am waiting for
Amla oil,
Jojoba,
sweet almond oil,
peppermint,
soybean
avocado
olive oil,
rosemary,
castor,
coconut,
Shea butter,

....some draw moisture to the hair. Some may soften the hair. Some may help with dandruff. Others may stimulate growth...
....now I'm not saying that you should expect miracles overnight. But some oils and butters DO help the hair (and the skin).
If you have acne, try 'Black Soap' if you don't believe me...
When I started using oils in place of cremes I noticed an immediate difference. My hair was softer, number one. And I see why because the oil I was using had soybean, tea trea oil, and sweet almond oil (among others) listed as their main ingredients. These are softeners and moisturizers.
So I'm a believer...
and that's because I see what my hair likes.
I don't use oils as a 'sealant' necessarily.
Some ppl may think that oils just coat the hair but while it's coating in my opinion it's also doing something for you. But that's just what I think.
~PRODUCTS~
Elucence Conditioner (cowash)
Nexxus Humectress (cowash)
Elucence shampoo clarifying
Creme of Nature Moisturizing Shampoo
ORS shampoo
ORS Carrot oil, hair mayo...as needed
Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil and Tea Tree oil...just using this until my oils get in
.....of course there are other good products out there but that's a separate thread. This is what I'm using right now.

~OTHER~
Henna and Amla and other Indian therapies.
Honestly...I love me some Henna!
I've done it once and I'm doing it every 2 weeks. It may not work for everyone. But it does well for my hair.

PROS
:
SOFTNESS....My hair was so soft---once I got it all rinsed out and I was scared for a minute because I thought it wasn't all gonna come out!
TEXTURE CHANGES....I could be wrong and I can't say that it relaxed my texture but it....'defined' it. I don't know how to explain it. Seriously I couldn't keep my fingers out of my NG. LOL.
CONDITIONING.

CONS:
DRYNESS...Henna can make the hair VERY dry. You need a good moisturizing shampoo to combat it. Even though my hair felt soft I still cowashed right after. Just to be sure.

...And of course you must test the henna first before you apply becasue you could have a reaction, y'know--same as with anything else.
AND if you choose to henna you MUST ONLY USE Body Art Quality henna, if you are relaxed. The other stuff will take your hair out. But other than that...it's all good.

Last edited:
well I just learned that the active ingredient in Monistat that folks are supposedly benefitting from is the Miconazole Nitrate, due to its' antifungal activity. People have been substituting Neosporin AF instead, as it also has the antifungal ingredient. So I might try the Neosporin AF thing, since I would be less bashful to purchase it on a regular basis (or in bulk). I have to read some more testimonials, however, before I decide (also see more results pics).

Do not feel bad as I sai d before I thought it was 'Cootch Cream' too.
(lol)
But....never tried MN. I may in the future.
But...I'm trying to do one Experimentation at a time, know what I'm sayin? I still have a bottle of MTG I ain't used up yet.:grin:
I bought the REAL MTG girl.
It stinks....and it's too oily.
I'ma have to force myself to use it up.

phoenixx and blueenigma...ya'll know ya'll supposed to be working!!:office::boredwrk:

I need to be doing some :doingdishes:and some :laundry:, but yet I am here as well!:lachen::lachen:

i feel you phoenixx on the one experiment at a time as I am using Boundless Tresses for the summer and I can't buy no more growth aids, etc. until I use that bottle up!:lachen: So far, I been using it about 2-3 times a week and I haven't noticed any extreme growth. I am 5 weeks post and have about 3/4 in of NG...

^^^
LOL...I do be working. All day long I'm like this::bangdesk:
These ppl make my nerves bad...

But--I took off today and tommorry so now I can type all I want. LOL
Naw...just playin--I have errands to run as soon as my hair dries...

Anywho--Never used boundless tresses.
Hmm..What do you...put it on your scalp?
See--I don't know how applying things to my scalp is supposed to work--especially with daily cowashing . The minute I put it on I have to wash it off. So what's the point? And the MTG gives my hair an undesirable texture. I mean it doesn't add to it in any way....so I don't really use it. Maybe I'll just apply it to my hairline.:ohwell:

YOu said you bought a steamer? Is it helping you? I think that'd be kinda neat to have...
Hmm...

Thank You!!! yeah, now I need the LENGTH...Grrrrr. Anyway, off to bed. That Fotki thing tired me out. I had my 9 year old daughter take the pictures. She was so annoyed. She was like, "mom, can I go to bed now?" Poor thing. And my husband just rolled his eyes and went in the bedroom. They are both so disgusted with my hair obsession.
WELCOME!!!!!:rolleyes:

PhoEnixX
THANK YOU!!!! The scissors almost had me:lachen:
I cut when the two lengths in the back get on my nerves because it makes my hair appear thinner in the back.

Wow. That was a mouthful Phoenixx. You use as many products as me, although yours are more organic. I have only one truly organic product.

I suffer from the same symtoms as you; dry, dry, thirsty hair with frequent end breakage. I will be visiting my gym tomorrow, where I will deep condition in the sauna and steam room. I think if it weren't for the sauna and steam room, I might not even get my lazy behind to the gym. I spend more time in the sauna and steam rooms than I do working out on the floor. But the results are wonderful!! The conditioner seems to penetrate much better in the steam room, which is veeery wet and humid. I use the dry sauna after applying my leave in treatments to "bake" the treatments into my hair before going home, since it is very hot and dry. I have seen great texture and moisture improvements since utilizing the steam room/sauna combo.

HI GALA!!!!!!!!!

SUMMER...I checked your Fotki. In May '07, you were reaching BSL. Too bad you had to cut due to the breakage. But it still looks healthy. Will you be posting updated pictures soon??

SUMMER...I checked your Fotki. In May '07, you were reaching BSL. Too bad you had to cut due to the breakage. But it still looks healthy. Will you be posting updated pictures soon??
Yes I will update. I didn't stretch my last touch-up as long as I should..... only 7weeks. Not too much growth noted so I will post after next touch-up in JUNE. I will be in NY for Memorial Day weekend so I will let Dominicans blow my roots that will make me stretch even longer. I will make myself wait 10weeks from now on for touch-ups. I noticed my edges lookin thinner I brought this to my hairstylist attention and she decided we will do edges last. Im thinking about telling her to skip edges and nape area this touch-up. Yes it is really bad to have gone through this twice. Growth breakage cut! Shoot my hair should be way past BSL by now:wallbash:. It's a little frustration but I have learned alot on LHCF. My approach to haircare is totally different. I am also learning how to NOT trim so often. I was trimming my length.:rolleyes: My no trim challenge ends May20th..... ok ok I am scared of split ends lol!

Last edited:
Okay, i went out to celebrate my bday today. and i did my hair. I want to wait to post a pic of my length at the end of the month.

2v3igjo.jpg
Its sorta bright though.

So pretty! (makes me want to do more interesting things than just bunning). And happy b-day! :grin:

Hey Ladies!!!!!!!!! I'm back! The semester is finally over. I had my last final yesterday! Thanx goodness it is over! I must say, staying away from the board paid off, because I am making the Deans List this semester! Yippy! But summer break is here and I am all about LHCF!

Everyones hair is looking great, keep it up ladies! And a big welcome to all the newbies! HHG!

Hi blueenigma!
How often are you going into the steamroom and for how long? Do you apply the conditioner to dry hair or after shampooing? I am joining a gym and would like to try this. Might as well get the most out the pricey membership!
Wow. That was a mouthful Phoenixx. You use as many products as me, although yours are more organic. I have only one truly organic product.

I suffer from the same symtoms as you; dry, dry, thirsty hair with frequent end breakage. I will be visiting my gym tomorrow, where I will deep condition in the sauna and steam room. I think if it weren't for the sauna and steam room, I might not even get my lazy behind to the gym. I spend more time in the sauna and steam rooms than I do working out on the floor. But the results are wonderful!! The conditioner seems to penetrate much better in the steam room, which is veeery wet and humid. I use the dry sauna after applying my leave in treatments to "bake" the treatments into my hair before going home, since it is very hot and dry. I have seen great texture and moisture improvements since utilizing the steam room/sauna combo.

HI GALA!!!!!!!!!

Wow. That was a mouthful Phoenixx.

Hey--you asked, peanut! LOL
You wanted to know the Regiman....that's the regiman (in it's entirety). :grin:
I cannot simply answer a simple question with a simple answer. I'm much to thorough...
LOL...I can't help it--just have so many things to say(on most every given subject).

You use as many products as me, although yours are more organic.

I've ALWAYS been a PJ. Seriously. I'll just got to Sally's or the black hair store up the road and spend 45-1 hr just reading labels and buyin crap. I still use it but it's still crap...

I suffer from the same symtoms as you; dry, dry, thirsty hair with frequent end breakage.
The sauna? Hmm....that makes sense. That was the only thing I miss about the gym: The SAUNA! I'd get in there spraying that eucalyptus, stretch out on my towel and fall out for an 45-to one hour!
I know the steam helps your complexion (plus it releaves the muscles) so I can imagine that it helps the hair...

I can't take no dry sauna though. :nono: Ugh...

How often do you go?
What kinda differences do you notice in your hair? Just curious because...
well first of all I think that frequent moisture really helps the hair.
That's a portion of the reason why I cowash everyday.
My ends are very soft now (not brittle and dry). And my NG is pretty...I think the increased amount of conditioning is bringing out the very best my texture has to offer. :yep:
Plus I'm stretching and I'm noticing that it is easier to manage my stretch. I don't think it was ever really THAT difficult---I think maybe I just had no idea how to style my hair unless I was wrappin it. :perplexed

BUT---now that I'm learning and being attentive and caring for it properly--I'm noticing different textures on my head (at least 2). The NG in the crown of my head and the nape have no curl to them whatsoever.:ohwell:
None...:ohwell: The rest is a deep s-curl. At first I thought the crown and nape was 3c hair because it was more wavy than not but now I don't know.
I'm definitely more 4a than 3c (or whatever) but I'm still not sure how to classify my head.
Oh well.....

In retrospect I think I've found a reason why I had so much breakage at the nape in the past:
The relaxer was too strong for the hair back there. :yep:

PHOENIXX...well I'm in the steam room two to three days per week. I also use the sauna, but toward the end, to bake whatever leave-in I am using into my strands. The steam room is where I am for the majority of the time, allowing the deep conditioner to soak in. I always go with a deep conditioner and a leave-in. I am constantly changing the deep conditioner and the leave-in, so I might use one brand on day one, another on day two, and yet a third on the subsequent day. In fact, I was in the steam room/sauna just today, and posted pictures of how my hair looks after I steam condition, in my Fotki. The pictures show how my hair looks after I deep condition in the steam room and allow it to air dry. Go check it out. It comes out quite wavy and nice :spinning:

Do you have a Fotki Phoenixx???

Last edited:
Hi blueenigma!
How often are you going into the steamroom and for how long? Do you apply the conditioner to dry hair or after shampooing? I am joining a gym and would like to try this. Might as well get the most out the pricey membership!
HI JASSY
I am in the steam room two to three times each week. It is awesome. I first shower and wash my hair (yes, I still use shampoo..and I use the gym's cheap shampoo at that). Then, I go into the steam room with my hair wet, sit down, and pull out my plastic bag of goodies. I slather on whatever deep conditioner I brought with me, and sit in the steamy heat for as long as I can stand it (around 20 minutes). I then rinse, and apply my leave-in. Once I apply the leave-in, I head to the sauna, which is dry heat. It helps to dry my hair out somewhat, since it's right before I'm leaving, and also "bakes" the leave-in into my hair. I stay in the dry sauna for about 15 minutes. Sometimes, I bring multiple deep conditioners with me and have marathon sessions, where I will deep condition, rinse, deep condition again, rinse, and so on. It has really gotten out of hand. The drawback is that some conditioners have an odor, and might offend other steam bathers. I have had people frown up their nose and leave out after I started popping open lotions and potions in the steam room. I'm sitting on pins and needles as it is, waiting for the day when someone reports my behind to the gym staff :blush:

I was in the steam room conditioning today, and posted pictures of how my hair looks after I sauna condition and allow it to air dry. Look in my Fotki, I posted them today when I got home from the gym.

Mind you, when I first leave the gym, my hair looks like a rat on crack. But as it dries, it becomes fluffy and full and lively. By the time I get home, it looks wavy and nice.

Hey blueenigma!
Thanks for the info, I checked out your fotki and your hair looks great! But I have sad news, the gym I just joined only has a dry sauna :sad:. I was so upset, as if I was only joining the gym for my hair :lachen:! I might have moved on if it wasn't such a nice gym. But, as I was driving home, I started thinking of ways to make the dry heat work. What if I wrapped my hair in a wet towel, could this give me that steam effect? Some of the ladies use towels and and hooded dries and get good resuls, so maybe this will too. Well its worth a shot. Thanks for the tip!
HI JASSY
I am in the steam room two to three times each week. It is awesome. I first shower and wash my hair (yes, I still use shampoo..and I use the gym's cheap shampoo at that). Then, I go into the steam room with my hair wet, sit down, and pull out my plastic bag of goodies. I slather on whatever deep conditioner I brought with me, and sit in the steamy heat for as long as I can stand it (around 20 minutes). I then rinse, and apply my leave-in. Once I apply the leave-in, I head to the sauna, which is dry heat. It helps to dry my hair out somewhat, since it's right before I'm leaving, and also "bakes" the leave-in into my hair. I stay in the dry sauna for about 15 minutes. Sometimes, I bring multiple deep conditioners with me and have marathon sessions, where I will deep condition, rinse, deep condition again, rinse, and so on. It has really gotten out of hand. The drawback is that some conditioners have an odor, and might offend other steam bathers. I have had people frown up their nose and leave out after I started popping open lotions and potions in the steam room. I'm sitting on pins and needles as it is, waiting for the day when someone reports my behind to the gym staff :blush:

I was in the steam room conditioning today, and posted pictures of how my hair looks after I sauna condition and allow it to air dry. Look in my Fotki, I posted them today when I got home from the gym.

Mind you, when I first leave the gym, my hair looks like a rat on crack. But as it dries, it becomes fluffy and full and lively. By the time I get home, it looks wavy and nice.

Hey ladies just popping in it's been a while and welcome to all the newbies :grin:. Is anyone planning on going to Vegas for the Conference?

I'm new and extremely late but also extremely confused! Is it too late for me to join? I'm learning so much but it seems like every new thing confuses me even more. Also when I tell friends about the crazy stuff I am doing to my hair they look at me crazy..like the relaxer stretching did not go over well w my bff, she told me I was crazy and needed a hot comb :ohwell:-I'm 9 weeks post- go me! go me! I wldnt say I have a set regime yet..I'm getting there, finding my groove. I need support please, please, please.

I'm new and extremely late but also extremely confused! Is it too late for me to join? I'm learning so much but it seems like every new thing confuses me even more. Also when I tell friends about the crazy stuff I am doing to my hair they look at me crazy..like the relaxer stretching did not go over well w my bff, she told me I was crazy and needed a hot comb :ohwell:-I'm 9 weeks post- go me! go me! I wldnt say I have a set regime yet..I'm getting there, finding my groove. I need support please, please, please.

Welcome Supagyrl...

Do you have a starting pic?

Hey ladies

Welcome to anyone that I may have missed....

I would like to know what everyone's doing to their hair for the summer?

I am thinking of braiding but I really dont know. I bought a half wig on Saturday and I really like it but I still wanna do something different.

Hey ladies

Welcome to anyone that I may have missed....

I would like to know what everyone's doing to their hair for the summer?

I am thinking of braiding but I really dont know. I bought a half wig on Saturday and I really like it but I still wanna do something different.

I am planning on buying a lacefront. I want to hide my hair until January 2009. Hopefully by then my hair will be long enough to bun.

So pretty! (makes me want to do more interesting things than just bunning). And happy b-day! :grin:

Thanks Galadriel!!!!!!!! I just roll the top and bump the rest so it can be longer at the back. Its a style that i wear quite a bit. And no heat is required. I use heat at times, but you can use rollers to set it and it looks just the same.

And :welcome3: Blueenigma!!!!!!!

Back