Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

Girl---I've been 'Lurkin and Learnin'. And I'm STILL learning--a yr later!
LOL.

But thank you for inviting me. I'ma try to do it.

I am doing my first co-wash right now. And speaking of co-washing:

I found some interesting info. The first link briefly explains CONES (or silicon based additives) and how they affect your hair. Which can especially helpful if co-washing.
The second link is from this site. It provides a list of products without cones. It provides a list of silicone free products

http://ladylonghair.googlepages.com/'cone-freeconditioners

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=101418

This may help some ppl. I didn't know what cones were--so I figured since we're all new maybe someone else didn't know either...and didn't know where to look on the site.

Anywho, I didn't expect the co-wash to go this well. Truthfully. I've been running around in this braid-out. It was actually cute.
The hair in my crown area fell though when I hit the outside air so I did walk around with a bit of a bush today LOL.

But -- I thought I'd have to fight with the conditioner. I wet my hair and applied from tip to root. Actually....the minute I put it on--my hair immediately smoothed down and softened.

Hey Black BEAUTY!! :wavey:
You must of read my mind!!!! I just said two days ago what is a cone????

Ok Summer--here's what I found concerning Crosswrapping.
These aren't how-to videos just ppl in discussion.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=122156&highlight=cross+wrapping
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=112207

Seems like you part the hair down the middle of the hair and clip them to opposite ends of the head. Secure with a scarf and pull the clips out. Hmm...Sounds easy.
I'm still in a braid out so I won't know until some time from now how effective this is.

Y'know what's crazy? Every time I do a internet search for hair care and techniques I'm led back to this forum.:grin:

:grin:And about the cones...lol yeah--half the time ppl talkin and I'll just be like, "Wha---?"
Thank God the mods put a English to 'Hair-Speak' Dictionary in the stickies
Or I prolly still would have been wondering what an EVOO was.

BTW, Your hair is pretty!

Last edited:
Alllllright!!!! I'm DC'ing right now... I think I will follow up with SP :yep: . I have no idea what I am doing after I rinse :ohwell:. Any ideas ????

I usually condition and let it sit for a while. or do a mild protein treatment if i need it. if not, then i proceed to put in my leave-in and blow dry or do an air rollerset.

ETA :I also think i want to try a clear rinse. I've been hearing so many good things about them. So i may do one Friday.

MN is miconazole nitrate, found in products like Monistat and Neosporin.

I have a question: what is serum used for and how/when should it be applied?

I was wondering the same thing...but there's a whole challenge behind it.

yeah, basically some ladies are applying the cheap/no name version of cootchie cream to their scalp...:look:...apparently it speeds hair growth (i ain't gonna knock it bc i haven't/prolly won't try it...)...no , seriously, they use the no name brand of monistat...

I was wondering the same thing...but there's a whole challenge behind it.

MN is short for Miconazole Nitrate. Its an ingredient in Monistat and Neosporin. You can use those, but i just buy the MN straight up. they have 2 and 4%. a small tube is usually 4 or 5 dollars. Many women mix theirs with essential oils. I have used mine alone and with oils and it doesn't make a difference for me. It does give u good growth. it is very drying so the oils will help out with that alot. Some women got headaches from it but i didn't.

i get mine from Dollar General. but Walmart sells it, Family dollar, etc.

i apply mine like i'm oiling my scalp. i part the hair in 4 big sections, then i apply it to each section one at a time. The key is to give your scalp a good massage. This helps out alot.

Last edited:
Ok Summer--here's what I found concerning Crosswrapping.
These aren't how-to videos just ppl in discussion.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=122156&highlight=cross+wrapping
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=112207

Seems like you part the hair down the middle of the hair and clip them to opposite ends of the head. Secure with a scarf and pull the clips out. Hmm...Sounds easy.
I'm still in a braid out so I won't know until some time from now how effective this is.

Y'know what's crazy? Every time I do a internet search for hair care and techniques I'm led back to this forum.:grin:

:grin:And about the cones...lol yeah--half the time ppl talkin and I'll just be like, "Wha---?"
Thank God the mods put a English to 'Hair-Speak' Dictionary in the stickies
Or I prolly still would have been wondering what an EVOO was.

BTW, Your hair is pretty!
Thanks!!!! Ok im gonna try this cross wrap stuff LOL!!! :rolleyes:

What do you ladies think about me requesting my stylist use Design essentials mild perm for touch-ups instead of regular?? I was thinking mild may be gentler. What's your thoughts... ladies

MN is short for Miconazole Nitrate. Its an ingredient in Monistat and Neosporin. You can use those, but i just buy the MN straight up. they have 2 and 4%. a small tube is usually 4 or 5 dollars. Many women mix theirs with essential oils. I have used mine alone and with oils and it doesn't make a difference for me. It does give u good growth. it is very drying so the oils will help out with that alot. Some women got headaches from it but i didn't.

i get mine from Dollar General. but Walmart sells it, Family dollar, etc.

i apply mine like i'm oiling my scalp. i part the hair in 4 big sections, then i apply it to each section one at a time. The key is to give your scalp a good massage. This helps out alot.

fiya- i didn't know it came by itself and not just in the cootchie cream...ok ya'll ignore what i said:ignore::lachen:...thanks for clearing that up for me!!! whew, girl ima mess, if i had tried it, i woulda been puttin' monistat on my hair 'cause i thought that's what everyone was doing...whew...thanks again:grin:

*pssst*...on the real, how's it working for you?:sekret:

Girl---I've been 'Lurkin and Learnin'. And I'm STILL learning--a yr later!
LOL.

But thank you for inviting me. I'ma try to do it.

I am doing my first co-wash right now. And speaking of co-washing:

I found some interesting info. The first link briefly explains CONES (or silicon based additives) and how they affect your hair. Which can especially helpful if co-washing.
The second link is from this site. It provides a list of products without cones. It provides a list of silicone free products

http://ladylonghair.googlepages.com/'cone-freeconditioners

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=101418

This may help some ppl. I didn't know what cones were--so I figured since we're all new maybe someone else didn't know either...and didn't know where to look on the site.

Anywho, I didn't expect the co-wash to go this well. Truthfully. I've been running around in this braid-out. It was actually cute.
The hair in my crown area fell though when I hit the outside air so I did walk around with a bit of a bush today LOL.

But -- I thought I'd have to fight with the conditioner. I wet my hair and applied from tip to root. Actually....the minute I put it on--my hair immediately smoothed down and softened.

Hey Black BEAUTY!! :wavey:

:sweet:that stuff on cones was the bomb! THANKS!!!

fiya- i didn't know it came by itself and not just in the cootchie cream...ok ya'll ignore what i said:ignore::lachen:...thanks for clearing that up for me!!! whew, girl ima mess, if i had tried it, i woulda been puttin' monistat on my hair 'cause i thought that's what everyone was doing...whew...thanks again:grin:

*pssst*...on the real, how's it working for you?:sekret:

:lachen: girl, its fine. I was sceptical too. but then it got broken down to me what MN really is. Its only part of the "coochie cream":look:. its an antifungal ingredient that works on the scalp. And some do use monistat and neosporin, but Monistat is like 18 dollars, so no thank you,lol.

And i like it. i still don't apply it like i should. but i can definitely tell that its helping. i don't get headaches or anything. I just apply it.

Ya'll don't feel bad...I thought these females were putting 'Cootch Cream' on their heads too.

But then who am I to trip I went out and bought that horse lotion, i.e., MTG.
Of the two I wonder which one works better...?

Question: Is anybody Henna-ing? Do you HAVE to wait 3 months post relxer to henna your hair. I relaxed my hair the week of the 25th in March. I'm right at 5 1/2 to 6 weeks. I have about an inch of new growth.

Last edited:
:orders:Good morning ladies :circle:

I did my weekly wash Tues..1st I henna'd..I was seriously in need of some GHM (gray hair maintenance). ..now the strands are a copper color...I seriously need to buy more indigo. I :heart2: indigo.

I banded overnight and let air dry... It was a little damp so I blow dried for a few minutes to reduce shrinkage :yep:. Now it's in a ponytail. I am seriously considering trying no heat(except for DC & hot oil treatment).

I think it's growing !!!!
4-30-08A.jpg

Ok ladies I keep hearing moisture moisture but what do you moisture with? What do you recommend like after washing /rollersets or before cross wrapping hair to go to bed? Any suggestions???? I am going to sally's to look around. Olive oil??? Is this for moisture ......I am getting confused.

Ok ladies I keep hearing moisture moisture but what do you moisture with? What do you recommend like after washing /rollersets or before cross wrapping hair to go to bed? Any suggestions???? I am going to sally's to look around. Olive oil??? Is this for moisture ......I am getting confused.

Hey Summer below please find the link to Sistalicks article...she discusses moisturizing shampoos/conditioners/leave ins etc. She also suggests products.

You may want to visit her fotki. She has lots of good information regarding relaxing as well that may help your underneath hair(uh huh :yep::yep: I was in your fotki :grin:).

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/288340/hair_regimen_building_for_newbies.html

Last edited:
Well as I understand it you wash then while the hair still wet put on a moisturizer and seal with oil.

But here are the products I have.

-Nexxux Therappe--I think my hair is getting used to it. Time to switch shampoos.
-Nexxus Humectress--Ditto
-Creme of Nature Detangling Conditioning Shampoo. I just bought this and used it tonight. I LOVE IT! Contains a lot of natural ingredients I'd love to try the conditioner.
-Proclaim Shea and Shea Butter Moisturizing Conditioner.
-Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner- You can you use this as a leave-in conditioner as well. I have the shampoo but I have not tried it. It's kind of light.
-Folicure Moisturizing conditioner. I tried this while at my home girl's house and loved it so I decided to include it in the collection. It reminds me of Paul Mitchell Tea Trea Oil line. Minty smell; has the scalp tingling. It's a treatment for fine hair but--there's nothing wrong with prevention. :grin:

Organic Root Stimulator Carrot Oil
. Way better than the Olive Oil variety.
Olive Oil Moisturizer-
I want to try Elasta QP Mango Butter but I can't find it. May have to order it online.

Ladies I didnt 4get about you. I have a lot on my plate at work and its taking all my time but Im still here. I wanna thank you ladies for keeping us going and also Plz dont 4get its the 1st. so progress time. This is not only for length just your overall progress from last month.

Oh man, I joined this challenge a month ago and kind of forgot about it. Sorry ladies! Anyway, I am currently el, and very uneven. I have some pics in my fotki. Below are my products and regimen:

Wash using con on Sundays
DC 2x per week (Just joined challenge on lhc so don't have any results to report on this) with ORS replenishing pak
Moisturize nightly w/kids organics shea butter detangler then seal with oil.
Use mango butter in the morning
Also use a glycerine mix on ng.
Stretching relaxers for 12 weeks.

My ultimate goal is bsl. Current pic http://public.fotki.com/Tycol/carmel-challenge/carmel-challenge/dsci0033.html

Ya'll don't feel bad...I thought these females were putting 'Cootch Cream' on their heads too.

But then who am I to trip I went out and bought that horse lotion, i.e., MTG.
Of the two I wonder which one works better...?

Question: Is anybody Henna-ing? Do you HAVE to wait 3 months post relxer to henna your hair. I relaxed my hair the week of the 25th in March. I'm right at 5 1/2 to 6 weeks. I have about an inch of new growth.

I thought you could henna anytime, but I don't know?:look:

:orders:Good morning ladies :circle:

I did my weekly wash Tues..1st I henna'd..I was seriously in need of some GHM (gray hair maintenance). ..now the strands are a copper color...I seriously need to buy more indigo. I :heart2: indigo.

I banded overnight and let air dry... It was a little damp so I blow dried for a few minutes to reduce shrinkage :yep:. Now it's in a ponytail. I am seriously considering trying no heat(except for DC & hot oil treatment).

I think it's growing !!!!
4-30-08A.jpg

KLo, the hair looks GREAT!!!! :yep: I beleieve it is getting longer, too (if that's at all possible:grin:)

Back