Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

Im getting a little discouraged....i'll be 9 weeks post on Sunday and my NG is horrible...I took my braids out tonight..and OH MY GOD!!!! It is thick:nono:...I just venting for a second....and wondering to myself....what in the heck am I doing:wallbash:...lol....but im going to continue this journey...i have a whole 10 months to go.....I, gonna post some new pics of my NG and length now... Today 03:38 AM
Hi ladies,

Blackbeauty, just throw this "little bit" of discouragement away! your hair is so thick and shinning. After lurking here and there, I'm pretty sure what ever decision you'll make you'll be finding great support and advice.
thanks paradise79, and your right..i have all the support I need right here.

Oh wow, I'd love to get in on this and I'm definitely a newbie, I guess my official start date will be May 1st. I'll make sure and take a picture that morning and update regularly.

My plan is to continue taking biotin, MSM and Silica (when I can locate the silicia that is!) in addition to brushing my hair every night for 5 minutes. Sounds crazy but when I do this, it seems to help, stimulates the scalp I guess? Not sure but I've always done this and my hair is already thick and a nice length, I just want it longer and down to my waist :)

^^^
Hey COTYAN :wavey:
Y'know I haven't brushed my hair in sooo long.... Not even to wrap it. Just fell out of the habit.

@FIYA... Thanks...You too!

@KLOMAXX.... Hey Girl! :wavey:

Im getting a little discouraged....i'll be 9 weeks post on Sunday and my NG is horrible...I took my braids out tonight..and OH MY GOD!!!! It is thick:nono:...I just venting for a second....and wondering to myself....what in the heck am I doing:wallbash:...lol....but im going to continue this journey...i have a whole 10 months to go.....I, gonna post some new pics of my NG and length now...

Girl, don't sweat it!!! Get you a ORS Replenishing PAK and mix 2 tbsp of olive oil in (you may need 2 packs). Slap that puppy in and sit under the heat for 30 minutes. Girl when you take it out, your roots and relaxed ends will be like butta....

We can do this!!!!:grin:

I'm a newbie. Can I join in too? :grin:

Starting pics are in my avatar and siggy. I forgot the date of my last relaxer.:nono:

My short term goal is full SL by September '08

My regimen (Needs A LOT OF HELP. :wallbash:Any and all suggestions welcome!)

For now, I dry DC the night before my weekly wash and set.
I also use IC Hair Polisher Olive Moisturizing Serum every other day and Isoplus Natural Remedy Tea Tree & Aloe Conditioning Hair Spray.

WELCOME!!! :welcome4:

Your DC sounds good, you just need to make sure you get the right balance of protein and moisture for your hair. What products do you use for the DC and poo and con?

Hello Ladies:wavey:

How ya'll derrin....?

I have lurked for like an entire year and just decided to join up. LOL

I need to figure out how to Conditioner washes and pre-poo.

Regimen
--I wash and Deep Condition once a week. I will more than likely wash twice a week since I've slowly weened myself off the Flat Iron! I'm a reformed Heat Junky and my Chi was attached to my hip! Everytime I washed I'd flat iron.
--I'll usually slather conditioner on my head with oil, slap a bag on my head and lounge around for hours. Sometimes I sleep with it. Then I'll wake up wash it off. I airdry my hair. I stopped using blow-dryers 3 yrs ago.
--I recently stopped wrapping because I'd experienced breakage on my Rt front side. I think wrapping caused it.
--I apply a protein treatment as needed.
--I've never relaxed on schedule. My last relaxer was in the third wk of March. I suppose I will try to stretch my relaxer as far out as possible. The only diff is--I've never stretched without HEAT! (oh no)
Ya'll pray for me...
--I'm going into protective styles (I did my first braid-out last night) So I think I can rock that for a minute. Then I'll start doing wet-sets.

HAIR TYPE
My research tells me that I have am a 4A, I think. I have an s-curl pattern.
BUT my hair in it's NATURAL state is not cottony at all. It's more bushy and big. And it soaks up humidity like a sponge, becoming--even bigger. The 3C sounds like me but I don't have corkscrews.

Products...(I actually use more but this is what's in my aresenal at the moment)
Nexxus:
-Emergencee (protein treatment I use as needed))
-Humectress (My main Moisturizing shampoo)
-Diametress (Hair thickening shampoo)
-Aphogee Reconstructor
Proclaim:
-Aloe and Shea Butter (Moisturizing conditioner)
Ion:
-Moisturizing Treatment
Keracare:
-1st Lather (seems to be a clarifying shampoo to me)
Detangling Shampoo
Paul Mitchell:
-Entire Tea Tree Oil Line.
****The Generic Paul Mitchell works just as well, btw. Cheaper too*****
Oil:
-Queen Helens's Jojoba
-Hollywood Beauty Tea Trea Oil. Makes my hair very soft. I found this at Walgreens or CVS, I think. It was very cheap (like $2-3)
Check out the ingredients:
Soybean Oil, tea tree oil, safflower oil, vitamin E, carrot extract, aloe ver extract, rose hips oil, peanut oil, sweet almond oil, methypararaben (and) Isoprpylparaben (and) Isobutylparaben (and) Butylparaben, Fragrance, D &C Red #17, D & C Yellow # 11

HAIR CREME:
-Mizani h20 Rosehip--I have to buy more though. I have been using the Tea Tree oil on my hair. I have a habit of not puting anything on my scalp don't know if it's a good or bad thing.
-Olive oil hair Lotion.

Relaxers:
-Elasta QP Relaxer (regular) if I must self-relax.
-If professional I prefer Mizani.

Vitamins
-Biotin
-Women's 1 a Day Weight Smart

AIDS:
-MTG===>>> I tried MTG like 5 mths ago but it was too darn oily. I have a phobia of grease and thick pomades. lol Gives me flashbacks of my aunt slathering Blue Magic and Royal Crown all over my head...You could erect oil derects if you were so inclined.
Although yesterday I did put some around the hairline using a Q-tip. Will document the progress. And if see significant improvement I'll work it into my schedule and just deal with the oiliness for a time.
-Mehandi HENNA for African Hair==>> Just ordered some 2 dys ago. I hope it's not as drying as some suggest because I already have moisture deficiency issues. But I am so excited to try it. And the conditioning benefits far outweigh that negative.

FUTURE GOALS/EXPECTATIONS
I think I'll have to get back with you on timeframes and expectations for length. I know that my hair grows quickly I just don't know how fast to be able to explain in inches.
My goal is BSL. I'm at 12" I think. It's at the level of C-7 vertebrae (that bony protuberance at the back of the neck for those unfamiliar with medical
term.)
I'd like to go natural. I'd attempted tex-laxing some mths ago but the bushiness got to me. But Im going to try--again.

I will post more pics.

:welcome4: Girl, you wasn't kidding when ytou said you were a lurker...look at that PJ list...impressive!!! :lachen: Me, Galadriel and blackbeauty are all attempting to transition as well. You are welcome to join us!!!

Oh wow, I'd love to get in on this and I'm definitely a newbie, I guess my official start date will be May 1st. I'll make sure and take a picture that morning and update regularly.

My plan is to continue taking biotin, MSM and Silica (when I can locate the silicia that is!) in addition to brushing my hair every night for 5 minutes. Sounds crazy but when I do this, it seems to help, stimulates the scalp I guess? Not sure but I've always done this and my hair is already thick and a nice length, I just want it longer and down to my waist :)

:lachen:...Don't we all! :welcome4: Can't wait to see your pics and continue getting to know you!

WELCOME!!! :welcome4:

Your DC sounds good, you just need to make sure you get the right balance of protein and moisture for your hair. What products do you use for the DC and poo and con?

I DC with Burt's Bees More Moisture Raspberry and Brazil Nut Conditioner.

I use Kuz or Mane 'n Tail for poo and con.

:welcome4: Girl, you wasn't kidding when ytou said you were a lurker...look at that PJ list...impressive!!! :lachen: Me, Galadriel and blackbeauty are all attempting to transition as well. You are welcome to join us!!!

Girl---I've been 'Lurkin and Learnin'. And I'm STILL learning--a yr later!
LOL.

But thank you for inviting me. I'ma try to do it.

I am doing my first co-wash right now. And speaking of co-washing:

I found some interesting info. The first link briefly explains CONES (or silicon based additives) and how they affect your hair. Which can especially helpful if co-washing.
The second link is from this site. It provides a list of products without cones. It provides a list of silicone free products

http://ladylonghair.googlepages.com/'cone-freeconditioners

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=101418

This may help some ppl. I didn't know what cones were--so I figured since we're all new maybe someone else didn't know either...and didn't know where to look on the site.

Anywho, I didn't expect the co-wash to go this well. Truthfully. I've been running around in this braid-out. It was actually cute.
The hair in my crown area fell though when I hit the outside air so I did walk around with a bit of a bush today LOL.

But -- I thought I'd have to fight with the conditioner. I wet my hair and applied from tip to root. Actually....the minute I put it on--my hair immediately smoothed down and softened.

Hey Black BEAUTY!! :wavey:

Last edited:
Hey ladies,
I haven't post in a while *** Finals***. Just to catch up I had my last touch-up @ 7weeks... yeah woo woo. No big difference I will post pics after June 8th touch-up. I decided to stretch each relaxer one week at a time. My hair is really shedding:wallbash: I also noticed some thinness on the left side more that right of my edges. I am ordering this product I read about on another board called ovation to see if that helps. I have such fragile edges and I deff will make sure my hairdressor perms them edges last.
p.s Where can I get one of those length check t-shirts???
Has anyone used DooGro megathick medicated hair vitalizer??? It says its good for thininng edges.
Oh one more thing do you ladies think I should maybe even skip perming my edges this touch-up coming up all together???

Hey ladies,
I was cleaning out the cabinets oh and I noticed my doogro has one of those awful ingredients and so did my design essential herbal complex..... Petrolatum so 16.00 in the trash! I have to admit I knew nothing about ingredients until I started reading on LHCF. I did find a oil I use to use , I liked it because it smelled good I didn't know any better but come to find out its natural!!!! I thought I would post the link. I have the herbal finish sheen and the oil and scalp conditioner and the herbal styling oil http://naturaloasishairproducts.com/naturaloasisproducts.html

Girl---I've been 'Lurkin and Learnin'. And I'm STILL learning--a yr later!
LOL.

But thank you for inviting me. I'ma try to do it.

I am doing my first co-wash right now. And speaking of co-washing:

I found some interesting info. The first link briefly explains CONES (or silicon based additives) and how they affect your hair. Which can especially helpful if co-washing.
The second link is from this site. It provides a list of products without cones. It provides a list of silicone free products

http://ladylonghair.googlepages.com/'cone-freeconditioners

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=101418

This may help some ppl. I didn't know what cones were--so I figured since we're all new maybe someone else didn't know either...and didn't know where to look on the site.

Anywho, I didn't expect the co-wash to go this well. Truthfully. I've been running around in this braid-out. It was actually cute.
The hair in my crown area fell though when I hit the outside air so I did walk around with a bit of a bush today LOL.

But -- I thought I'd have to fight with the conditioner. I wet my hair and applied from tip to root. Actually....the minute I put it on--my hair immediately smoothed down and softened.

Hey Black BEAUTY!! :wavey:

Hey, girl! I haven't gotten to the point where I need to do co-washes to help with the NG, but I do LOVE a good DC! My hair always feels like butta after...:yep: I can't wait until I have transitioned for about 5-6 months and have a bunch of NG!

Hey ladies,
I haven't post in a while *** Finals***. Just to catch up I had my last touch-up @ 7weeks... yeah woo woo. No big difference I will post pics after June 8th touch-up. I decided to stretch each relaxer one week at a time. My hair is really shedding:wallbash: I also noticed some thinness on the left side more that right of my edges. I am ordering this product I read about on another board called ovation to see if that helps. I have such fragile edges and I deff will make sure my hairdressor perms them edges last.
p.s Where can I get one of those length check t-shirts???
Has anyone used DooGro megathick medicated hair vitalizer??? It says its good for thininng edges.
Oh one more thing do you ladies think I should maybe even skip perming my edges this touch-up coming up all together???

Yep, throw that stuff out! :nono: As far as the thinness of the edges, do you wrap your hair? Some folks were saying this caused them to have thinness on one side or the other and they had to either cross wrap or wrap alternating directions each night.

Maybe do the edges absolutely last, so they only get kinda texlaxed?

You can get the t-shirt here http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=211257&highlight=shirts

HTH!

Okay, i went out to celebrate my bday today. and i did my hair. I want to wait to post a pic of my length at the end of the month.

2v3igjo.jpg
Its sorta bright though.

Happy Belated Fiya!:grin:

@SUMMER
...I see mentions of garlic helping with the shedding. (garlic shampoo? Oil?) I've been shedding, too. But it's slowed up some. Because last winter I was pulling out strands left and right. IT was freaking me out But hell--at least I'm not breaking.

If your hair is breaking I don't think you should relax that area. But I dunno. You can't do wet-sets to stretch your relaxers out?
As Finding Me stated it could be the wrap. Do you wrap? Which direction do you wrap in?
Cause....I had thinning/breakage on my right side. The only reason why I blamed wrapping is because the breakage occured when I was hardly touching except to wrap it. I talked to my cousin's girl who is a beautician and she was skeptical.
I laid off the wrapping for a minute.
Then it happened again. And I knew it had to have been the wrapping because I was in training (National Guard) for six weeks. I didn't have time to do my hair (and I had a day's notification that I would be going anywhere so I couldn't get a sew-in).
But--I kept my hair in a wrap and the thinning out happened again.

The Rt side is ALWAYS the site of breakage and that's the portion of my hair that recieves the most comb action. Because I wrap from Rt to Lt.

So...maybe you could try to lay off the wrapping for a minute--or cross-wrap (i think it's called) just to see if THAT's what's causing it.

@FINDING ME
...I just cowash for moisture. I'd never even thought of doing it to soften new growth.
Hmm...
It really helps my ends.
Plus my hair loves moisture. So much in fact that 'it' sucks every bit of moisture out the air and dries itself outself. So--I have to feed the beast...

Happy Belated Fiya!:grin:

@SUMMER...I see mentions of garlic helping with the shedding. (garlic shampoo? Oil?) I've been shedding, too. But it's slowed up some. Because last winter I was pulling out strands left and right. IT was freaking me out But hell--at least I'm not breaking.

If your hair is breaking I don't think you should relax that area. But I dunno. You can't do wet-sets to stretch your relaxers out?
As Finding Me stated it could be the wrap. Do you wrap? Which direction do you wrap in?
Cause....I had thinning/breakage on my right side. The only reason why I blamed wrapping is because the breakage occured when I was hardly touching except to wrap it. I talked to my cousin's girl who is a beautician and she was skeptical.
I laid off the wrapping for a minute.
Then it happened again. And I knew it had to have been the wrapping because I was in training (National Guard) for six weeks. I didn't have time to do my hair (and I had a day's notification that I would be going anywhere so I couldn't get a sew-in).
But--I kept my hair in a wrap and the thinning out happened again.

The Rt side is ALWAYS the site of breakage and that's the portion of my hair that recieves the most comb action. Because I wrap from Rt to Lt.

So...maybe you could try to lay off the wrapping for a minute--or cross-wrap (i think it's called) just to see if THAT's what's causing it.

@FINDING ME...I just cowash for moisture. I'd never even thought of doing it to soften new growth.
Hmm...
It really helps my ends.
Plus my hair loves moisture. So much in fact that 'it' sucks every bit of moisture out the air and dries itself outself. So--I have to feed the beast...

Girl, yes- in my siggy I was over 11 weeks post. I was doing cowashes at that point (since maybe about 10 weeks) and my NG was so soft and wavy, not hard and crunchy!:lachen: That's when I actually realized that I could probably transition without a whole lotta pain!:yep:

Thanks Pretty and PhoEnixX!!!!!

@ Klomax, u know when i went for my relaxer friday, i saw that my stylist uses Stabilizer Plus too?!?!?!? lol, i was so happy. I never even paid attention to it. I feel really good about that.

Thanks Pretty and PhoEnixX!!!!!

@ Klomax, u know when i went for my relaxer friday, i saw that my stylist uses Stabilizer Plus too?!?!?!? lol, i was so happy. I never even paid attention to it. I feel really good about that.

Alllllright!!!! I'm DC'ing right now... I think I will follow up with SP :yep: . I have no idea what I am doing after I rinse :ohwell:. Any ideas ????

I do wrap my hair every night from left to right and the thinner side is the side that is combed over to the right.....hmmm but, how do you cross wrap?

Back