Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

Didn't know any better...pre LHCF days...shrinkage is still a pain!!!

BTW I was reading another thread yesterday and a member suggested putting glycerin in your moisturizer/leave in/DC to improve results. I bought some tonight..under $3.00 at Walmart...I am going to dry condition w/it tonight!!! I might put it in my leave in as well...after that who knows.

ladylibra puts SAA in hers for her WNG. I think our hair is similiar...What does the glycerin look like at Walmart. Does it just say glyxcerin on the bottle?

ETA: What's a dry conditioner?

ladylibra puts SAA in hers for her WNG. I think our hair is similiar...What does the glycerin look like at Walmart. Does it just say glyxcerin on the bottle?

ETA: What's a dry conditioner?

I put the conditioner on my dry hair w/plastic cap and went to sleep...I will rinse out soon...I found the Glycerin in the rubbing alcohol aisle(bottom shelf)...made by Humco..I mixed 1/2 condish & 1/2 Glycerin.
glycerin.jpg

Does SAA help w/shrinkage?

Last edited:
Thanks! Seriously on the curlformers, for relaxed hair, I would say stick with the flexirods. There is a lot of pulling and tugging and manipulation with the curlformers...

Right, because i watched that video on their site, and it seemed too much stress on the hair to me. They do turn out great looks though, but i know i can achieve the same look with my rods. :yep::yep:

I transitioned about 10 years ago. Not deliberately though. After a relaxer my DH said he saw a bald spot on the back of my head and I never relaxed again. Unfortunately it wasn't until February when I joined this thread that I finally understood I needed a leave in moisturizer. Before using leave ins my hair was always dry and I had unruly shrinkage which I combated with direct heat (straightening comb/flat iron/blow dryer). I still blow dry on a cooler setting..but I rollerset as well. I also discovered my hair was more curly than kinky.
Here's my ponytail after a ponytail rollerset last week.
4-16-08.jpg

Here it is 1 week later after moisturizing w/ mango butter..sealed w/coconut oil every other day. I fold it under and put 1 clip in it at night.
hairpic035A.jpg

Klo, you have the most gorgeous hair!!!!!! I love this, its simple but so cute.

Thanks ladies,:bighug:

I'm not gonna front. I can't believe this hair is on my head.

But do you remember this dry/crunchy/breaking hair before I understood about moisturizing leave ins ? Unh Unh Unh ... Look at those dry/crunchy thin ends . I've had 1 trim since then...it's still thin but it is improving.This Thread is the Bomb!!!! Y'all save my hair!!!
rollersetA.jpg

Soooo, I read through the first 33 pages. Its probably going to take me all week to read the rest lol. This thing is LONG! I have enjoyed it so far though, you ladies bring lots of lol's and smiles.

I kinda feel like I jumped the gun now though, everybody else who was late asked if they could join, I just kinda jumped right in there and was like "HEEEEEY" :woot: I hope its ok for me to join this group. Better late than never eh?

So, I uploaded my starter pics to photobucket. I tried my first bantu set last night and it didn't come out well :nono: Lol, so you ladies know I love yall to be posting pictures of this bird's nest that I have sitting on top of my head right now! :lachen:

DSC00051.jpg

LOL, its a mess. I'll be wearing it like THIS until I can figure something else out. My products need to get here like YESTERDAY!

DSC00053-1.jpg

DSC00052-1.jpg

I will post my first set of pictures for long-term comparison as soon as I get some magnetic rollers. I have some velcro rollers that I had bought like a year ago and I put one in my hair last night....Let me just say don't ever buy velcro rollers lol. Those things are in the TRASH as we speak lol. On the bright side, I did my first co-wash last night also. It went well. Breakage reduced about 75% from my normal wash, condition, comb, routine. I know it was because I combed it in the shower while I still had the conditioner in it and was really gentle with it thereafter.

Finding Me: I ordered the 5oz Ojon restorative treatment yesterday, then when I was reading through the posts I saw that you use it too :)

And Ms.AmerAKA, does your name mean what I think it does? If so, SKEEEEE-WEEEEE! :Rose:

So, when my stuff gets here, I think my regimen will be:

Fridays:
1.) Pre-Poo with Ojon Restorative Treatment overnight
2.) Shampoo in the morning with Keracare Hydrating/Detangling, clarifying with Keracare 1st Lather as necessary.
3.) DC with Kenra Moisturizing rotating with Nexxuss Humectress, and using Aphogee 2-min restorative treatment as necessary. I will use heat with this when I get my Pibbs in the near future.
4.) Apply leave-in: Nexxuss Headdress and maybe rotate that with Biolage.
5.) Rollerset/Twistout/Braidout/Bun, w/e I'm feeling that day.
6.) Moisturize with Carol's Daughter Hair Milk
7.) Seal with coconut oil.

Tuesdays:
1.) Co-wash with something...not sure what yet, then follow same steps as above, most likely using a protective style like a bun.

I want to use a serum also. I love Biosilk Silk Therapy, but I'm not sure where to fit that into all of this. The whole moisturizing/seal with oil thing really confuses me. I don't understand how if your hair is "sealed" you can then moisturize a couple of days later and expect it to penetrate. I also don't understand how so many conditioners and leave-ins and moisturizers contain natural oils, but the theory is that oil seals moisture out, how can one product do both?

I also ordered some Carol's Daughter Hair Honey. We'll see how this all works. I'm sure I will need to tweak here and there, but my main goal at this time is a moisture overload. My hair is sooo dryyyy.

K, thats enough :blah: for now. I am pretty chatty. So much to learn though...

P.S. THANK YOU for your warm welcomes :)

Last edited:
Soooo, I read through the first 33 pages. Its probably going to take me all week to read the rest lol. This thing is LONG! I have enjoyed it so far though, you ladies bring lots of lol's and smiles.

I kinda feel like I jumped the gun now though, everybody else who was late asked if they could join, I just kinda jumped right in there and was like "HEEEEEY" :woot: I hope its ok for me to join this group. Better late than never eh?

So, I uploaded my starter pics to photobucket. I tried my first bantu set last night and it didn't come out well :nono: Lol, so you ladies know I love yall to be posting pictures of this bird's nest that I have sitting on top of my head right now! :lachen:

DSC00051.jpg

LOL, its a mess. I'll be wearing it like THIS until I can figure something else out. My products need to get here like YESTERDAY!

DSC00053-1.jpg

DSC00052-1.jpg

I will post my first set of pictures for long-term comparison as soon as I get some magnetic rollers. I have some velcro rollers that I had bought like a year ago and I put one in my hair last night....Let me just say don't ever buy velcro rollers lol. Those things are in the TRASH as we speak lol. On the bright side, I did my first co-wash last night also. It went well. Breakage reduced about 75% from my normal wash, condition, comb, routine. I know it was because I combed it in the shower while I still had the conditioner in it and was really gentle with it thereafter.

Finding Me: I ordered the 5oz Ojon restorative treatment yesterday, then when I was reading through the posts I saw that you use it too :)

And Ms.AmerAKA, does your name mean what I think it does? If so, SKEEEEE-WEEEEE! :Rose:

So, when my stuff gets here, I think my regimen will be:

Fridays:
1.) Pre-Poo with Ojon Restorative Treatment overnight
2.) Shampoo in the morning with Keracare Hydrating/Detangling, clarifying with Keracare 1st Lather as necessary.
3.) DC with Kenra Moisturizing rotating with Nexxuss Humectress, and using Aphogee 2-min restorative treatment as necessary. I will use heat with this when I get my Pibbs in the near future.
4.) Apply leave-in: Nexxuss Headdress and maybe rotate that with Biolage.
5.) Rollerset/Twistout/Braidout/Bun, w/e I'm feeling that day.
6.) Moisturize with Carol's Daughter Hair Milk
7.) Seal with coconut oil.

Tuesdays:
1.) Co-wash with something...not sure what yet, then follow same steps as above, most likely using a protective style like a bun.

I want to use a serum also. I love Biosilk Silk Therapy, but I'm not sure where to fit that into all of this. The whole moisturizing/seal with oil thing really confuses me. I don't understand how if your hair is "sealed" you can then moisturize a couple of days later and expect it to penetrate. I also don't understand how so many conditioners and leave-ins and moisturizers contain natural oils, but the theory is that oil seals moisture out, how can one product do both?

I also ordered some Carol's Daughter Hair Honey. We'll see how this all works. I'm sure I will need to tweak here and there, but my main goal at this time is a moisture overload. My hair is sooo dryyyy.

K, thats enough :blah: for now. I am pretty chatty. So much to learn though...

P.S. THANK YOU for your warm welcomes :)

Girl, welcome!!! YEAH, I am chatty, too!!! :grin: Your hair is pretty, though!!!

I think you are going to like that OJON!:yep: It sounds like on Tuesdays, you might want to add a little protein in your regi for some balance. Maybe you could do the Aphogee 2 min reconstructor (not the hard one) on this day for sure bc even though your hair needs moisture, it will get it quick with what you are doing..:yep:

Welcome again!

Thanks ladies,:bighug:

I'm not gonna front. I can't believe this hair is on my head.

But do you remember this dry/crunchy/breaking hair before I understood about moisturizing leave ins ? Unh Unh Unh ... Look at those dry/crunchy thin ends . I've had 1 trim since then...it's still thin but it is improving.This Thread is the Bomb!!!! Y'all save my hair!!!
rollersetA.jpg

KLo, I feel like you, this thread is the straight biz-ness!

But...ummm...I'm corn-fused...it THAT ^^^ supposed to be your hair looking bad?!?!:spinning: Your hair always looks pretty to me!:yep:

KLo, I feel like you, this thread is the straight biz-ness!

But...ummm...I'm corn-fused...it THAT ^^^ supposed to be your hair looking bad?!?!:spinning: Your hair always looks pretty to me!:yep:
You are so :sweet:FM...look at those dry tangled ends...what a bird's nest...the endz were catching on everything like velcro and breaking like crazy...a hot tangled mess... I needed a :paperbag:....if the sistaz had caught me on the street they would've written chapters about the damage:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I put the conditioner on my dry hair w/plastic cap and went to sleep...I will rinse out soon...I found the Glycerin in the rubbing alcohol aisle(bottom shelf)...made by Humco..I mixed 1/2 condish & 1/2 Glycerin.
glycerin.jpg

Does SAA help w/shrinkage?

:update:

OK ladies, I learned the glycerine tip from 4mia. It's a keeper... very moisturizing and inexpensive... after I rinsed my hair I blow dried using Pinkskates method..sealed w/coconut oil...it's a WnG (sort of) but looks like a braid out...any way it took about 30 minutes
4-22-08.jpg

Hey Ladies !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing. I have been Soooo..... busy. I have 2wks of school left- thank goodness. I cant wait to get glued in front of the computer again. I am having LHCF withdrawl!
No changes in my hair I am still wearing braids, its the easiest thing right now.
Hope everyone is doing well, and welcome to all the new ladies. HHG

:grin:Paradise and praisedancer It's not to late to join! All you need is to set a personal goal for yourself, post a starting pic and regimen and you are off and runnin'!...WELCOME!!:grin:

Hey Jassy! Good luck on your last 2 weeks...we miss you!:yep:

Thanks for the welcome. Here's my starting out pic. I'm currently transitioning so hopefully I can make my goal without giving in

Goal: BSL
Regimen: 1x week shampoo & condition, 3x week MN mixture, 1x month deep condition, 1x week flat iron.
Vits: Hair,Skin, & Nails 3x day, Flaxseed Oil Pills 2x day, & Fish Oil w/ Omega-3 Fatty Acids 3x day

Thanks for the welcome. Here's my starting out pic. I'm currently transitioning so hopefully I can make my goal without giving in

Goal: BSL
Regimen: 1x week shampoo & condition, 3x week MN mixture, 1x month deep condition, 1x week flat iron.
Vits: Hair,Skin, & Nails 3x day, Flaxseed Oil Pills 2x day, & Fish Oil w/ Omega-3 Fatty Acids 3x day

Cool pic! Your hair has nice length and thickness!:yep: Looks like you got some permanent color on the ends? (Girl, I used to have some and it tore my hair UP.:perplexed) Me, Galadriel & BlackBeauty are transitioning, too. Although My roots will be a mess. If I can make it to 5 months successfully, I should be able to make it through my transition. My goal is to transition for at least 18 (shooting for 24) and then chop ends at whatever length I'm at... Hopefully we can share some tips and secrets!

Welcome, again!:grin:

Thank you so much for the warm welcome.

I'm still trying to fix my profile but I've been lurking since november 07.
I didn't have enough time to insert my starting pic but the pic in my signature is my current state. My goal is full APL by the end of the year:spinning: (we shall see).

I think I'm 4b or z.....relaxed , trying to transition to texlaxed. I'm in personnal bun challenge (7/7, sometimes 6/7) and actually almost 12 weeks post. It's going pretty well thanks to the board and ladies for so precious information.

I'm cowashing on sunday and wednesday with french condish and recently test Redken products. I love it and my hair also; I DC on dry hair at every wash with coconut oil/olive oil+Smooth Down con.

Thanks again for your kind words, ladies

Cool pic! Your hair has nice length and thickness!:yep: Looks like you got some permanent color on the ends? (Girl, I used to have some and it tore my hair UP.:perplexed) Me, Galadriel & BlackBeauty are transitioning, too. Although My roots will be a mess. If I can make it to 5 months successfully, I should be able to make it through my transition. My goal is to transition for at least 18 (shooting for 24) and then chop ends at whatever length I'm at... Hopefully we can share some tips and secrets!

That color was damaging to my hair, I will never color again. Can't wait until it's all out.

Im getting a little discouraged....i'll be 9 weeks post on Sunday and my NG is horrible...I took my braids out tonight..and OH MY GOD!!!! It is thick:nono:...I just venting for a second....and wondering to myself....what in the heck am I doing:wallbash:...lol....but im going to continue this journey...i have a whole 10 months to go.....I, gonna post some new pics of my NG and length now...

Im getting a little discouraged....i'll be 9 weeks post on Sunday and my NG is horrible...I took my braids out tonight..and OH MY GOD!!!! It is thick:nono:...I just venting for a second....and wondering to myself....what in the heck am I doing:wallbash:...lol....but im going to continue this journey...i have a whole 10 months to go.....I, gonna post some new pics of my NG and length now... Today 03:38 AM
Hi ladies,

Blackbeauty, just throw this "little bit" of discouragement away! your hair is so thick and shinning. After lurking here and there, I'm pretty sure what ever decision you'll make you'll be finding great support and advice.

I'm a newbie. Can I join in too? :grin:

Starting pics are in my avatar and siggy. I forgot the date of my last relaxer.:nono:

My short term goal is full SL by September '08

My regimen (Needs A LOT OF HELP. :wallbash:Any and all suggestions welcome!)

For now, I dry DC the night before my weekly wash and set.
I also use IC Hair Polisher Olive Moisturizing Serum every other day and Isoplus Natural Remedy Tea Tree & Aloe Conditioning Hair Spray.

I'm a newbie. Can I join in too? :grin:

Starting pics are in my avatar and siggy. I forgot the date of my last relaxer.:nono:

My short term goal is full SL by September '08

My regimen (Needs A LOT OF HELP. :wallbash:Any and all suggestions welcome!)

For now, I dry DC the night before my weekly wash and set.
I also use IC Hair Polisher Olive Moisturizing Serum every other day and Isoplus Natural Remedy Tea Tree & Aloe Conditioning Hair Spray.

:welcome3: MsQ!!!! You are definitely in the right place. and your hair looks great. :grin:

And you will get a good regi going in no time. the key is to simply figure out what your hair likes. Going with the basics. a good poo and condish, a good moisturizer and oil are all key in making up a regimen that will work.

Last edited:
Hello Ladies:wavey:

How ya'll derrin....?

I have lurked for like an entire year and just decided to join up. LOL

I need to figure out how to Conditioner washes and pre-poo.

Regimen
--I wash and Deep Condition once a week. I will more than likely wash twice a week since I've slowly weened myself off the Flat Iron! I'm a reformed Heat Junky and my Chi was attached to my hip! Everytime I washed I'd flat iron.
--I'll usually slather conditioner on my head with oil, slap a bag on my head and lounge around for hours. Sometimes I sleep with it. Then I'll wake up wash it off. I airdry my hair. I stopped using blow-dryers 3 yrs ago.
--I recently stopped wrapping because I'd experienced breakage on my Rt front side. I think wrapping caused it.
--I apply a protein treatment as needed.
--I've never relaxed on schedule. My last relaxer was in the third wk of March. I suppose I will try to stretch my relaxer as far out as possible. The only diff is--I've never stretched without HEAT! (oh no)
Ya'll pray for me...
--I'm going into protective styles (I did my first braid-out last night) So I think I can rock that for a minute. Then I'll start doing wet-sets.

HAIR TYPE
My research tells me that I have am a 4A, I think. I have an s-curl pattern.
BUT my hair in it's NATURAL state is not cottony at all. It's more bushy and big. And it soaks up humidity like a sponge, becoming--even bigger. The 3C sounds like me but I don't have corkscrews.

Products...(I actually use more but this is what's in my aresenal at the moment)
Nexxus:
-Emergencee (protein treatment I use as needed))
-Humectress (My main Moisturizing shampoo)
-Diametress (Hair thickening shampoo)
-Aphogee Reconstructor
Proclaim
:
-Aloe and Shea Butter (Moisturizing conditioner)
Ion:
-Moisturizing Treatment
Keracare:
-1st Lather (seems to be a clarifying shampoo to me)
Detangling Shampoo
Paul Mitchell:
-Entire Tea Tree Oil Line.
****The Generic Paul Mitchell works just as well, btw. Cheaper too*****
Oil:
-Queen Helens's Jojoba
-Hollywood Beauty Tea Trea Oil. Makes my hair very soft. I found this at Walgreens or CVS, I think. It was very cheap (like $2-3)
Check out the ingredients:
Soybean Oil, tea tree oil, safflower oil, vitamin E, carrot extract, aloe ver extract, rose hips oil, peanut oil, sweet almond oil, methypararaben (and) Isoprpylparaben (and) Isobutylparaben (and) Butylparaben, Fragrance, D &C Red #17, D & C Yellow # 11

HAIR CREME:
-Mizani h20 Rosehip--I have to buy more though. I have been using the Tea Tree oil on my hair. I have a habit of not puting anything on my scalp don't know if it's a good or bad thing.
-Olive oil hair Lotion.

Relaxers:
-Elasta QP Relaxer (regular) if I must self-relax.
-If professional I prefer Mizani.

Vitamins
-Biotin
-Women's 1 a Day Weight Smart

AIDS:
-MTG===>>> I tried MTG like 5 mths ago but it was too darn oily. I have a phobia of grease and thick pomades. lol Gives me flashbacks of my aunt slathering Blue Magic and Royal Crown all over my head...You could erect oil derects if you were so inclined.
Although yesterday I did put some around the hairline using a Q-tip. Will document the progress. And if see significant improvement I'll work it into my schedule and just deal with the oiliness for a time.
-Mehandi HENNA for African Hair==>> Just ordered some 2 dys ago. I hope it's not as drying as some suggest because I already have moisture deficiency issues. But I am so excited to try it. And the conditioning benefits far outweigh that negative.

FUTURE GOALS/EXPECTATIONS
I think I'll have to get back with you on timeframes and expectations for length. I know that my hair grows quickly I just don't know how fast to be able to explain in inches.
My goal is BSL. I'm at 12" I think. It's at the level of C-7 vertebrae (that bony protuberance at the back of the neck for those unfamiliar with medical
term.)
I'd like to go natural. I'd attempted tex-laxing some mths ago but the bushiness got to me. But Im going to try--again.

I will post more pics.

:welcome3: MsQ!!!! You are definitely in the right place. and your hair looks great. :grin:

And you will get a good regi going in no time. the key is to simply figure out what your hair likes. Going with the basics. a good poo and condish, a good moisturizer and oil are all key in making up a regimen that will work.

Thank you for the warm welcome fiya'slovechild!!!! I was always some who hated putting products in my hair because they all seemed to heavy and would take any and all bounce out of my hair:nono:. Now I'm on the search for, like you said, the right moisturizer and sealant.

Hello Ladies:wavey:

How ya'll derrin....?

I have lurked for like an entire year and just decided to join up. LOL

I need to figure out how to Conditioner washes and pre-poo.

Regimen
--I wash and Deep Condition once a week. I will more than likely wash twice a week since I've slowly weened myself off the Flat Iron! I'm a reformed Heat Junky and my Chi was attached to my hip! Everytime I washed I'd flat iron.
--I'll usually slather conditioner on my head with oil, slap a bag on my head and lounge around for hours. Sometimes I sleep with it. Then I'll wake up wash it off. I airdry my hair. I stopped using blow-dryers 3 yrs ago.
--I recently stopped wrapping because I'd experienced breakage on my Rt front side. I think wrapping caused it.
--I apply a protein treatment as needed.
--I've never relaxed on schedule. My last relaxer was in the third wk of March. I suppose I will try to stretch my relaxer as far out as possible. The only diff is--I've never stretched without HEAT! (oh no)
Ya'll pray for me...
--I'm going into protective styles (I did my first braid-out last night) So I think I can rock that for a minute. Then I'll start doing wet-sets.

HAIR TYPE
My research tells me that I have am a 4A, I think. I have an s-curl pattern.
BUT my hair in it's NATURAL state is not cottony at all. It's more bushy and big. And it soaks up humidity like a sponge, becoming--even bigger. The 3C sounds like me but I don't have corkscrews.

Products...(I actually use more but this is what's in my aresenal at the moment)
Nexxus:
-Emergencee (protein treatment I use as needed))
-Humectress (My main Moisturizing shampoo)
-Diametress (Hair thickening shampoo)
-Aphogee Reconstructor
Proclaim:
-Aloe and Shea Butter (Moisturizing conditioner)
Ion:
-Moisturizing Treatment
Keracare:
-1st Lather (seems to be a clarifying shampoo to me)
Detangling Shampoo
Paul Mitchell:
-Entire Tea Tree Oil Line.
****The Generic Paul Mitchell works just as well, btw. Cheaper too*****
Oil:
-Queen Helens's Jojoba
-Hollywood Beauty Tea Trea Oil. Makes my hair very soft. I found this at Walgreens or CVS, I think. It was very cheap (like $2-3)
Check out the ingredients:
Soybean Oil, tea tree oil, safflower oil, vitamin E, carrot extract, aloe ver extract, rose hips oil, peanut oil, sweet almond oil, methypararaben (and) Isoprpylparaben (and) Isobutylparaben (and) Butylparaben, Fragrance, D &C Red #17, D & C Yellow # 11

HAIR CREME:
-Mizani h20 Rosehip--I have to buy more though. I have been using the Tea Tree oil on my hair. I have a habit of not puting anything on my scalp don't know if it's a good or bad thing.
-Olive oil hair Lotion.

Relaxers:
-Elasta QP Relaxer (regular) if I must self-relax.
-If professional I prefer Mizani.

Vitamins
-Biotin
-Women's 1 a Day Weight Smart

AIDS:
-MTG===>>> I tried MTG like 5 mths ago but it was too darn oily. I have a phobia of grease and thick pomades. lol Gives me flashbacks of my aunt slathering Blue Magic and Royal Crown all over my head...You could erect oil derects if you were so inclined.
Although yesterday I did put some around the hairline using a Q-tip. Will document the progress. And if see significant improvement I'll work it into my schedule and just deal with the oiliness for a time.
-Mehandi HENNA for African Hair==>> Just ordered some 2 dys ago. I hope it's not as drying as some suggest because I already have moisture deficiency issues. But I am so excited to try it. And the conditioning benefits far outweigh that negative.

FUTURE GOALS/EXPECTATIONS
I think I'll have to get back with you on timeframes and expectations for length. I know that my hair grows quickly I just don't know how fast to be able to explain in inches.
My goal is BSL. I'm at 12" I think. It's at the level of C-7 vertebrae (that bony protuberance at the back of the neck for those unfamiliar with medical
term.)
I'd like to go natural. I'd attempted tex-laxing some mths ago but the bushiness got to me. But Im going to try--again.

I will post more pics.

:welcome2: PhoEnixX!!!!!!!

Back