Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

KLo, I love your hair like this! I looks too cute! How is the Lacio Lacio, I have been wanting to try some of the dominican products, I hear so much about them.
I ponytail rollerset w/lacio lacio this week. I think I used too much product :violin:. My hair was flat. So I am wearing my hair in my ole faithful ponytail :yep:. I've come to love and accept this ponytail. I used to think it was boring but it is really a lifesaver.
4-16-08.jpg

Hey Ladies!

I braided my hair again yesterday. I have been so busy and dont have the time to mess with my hair. Now that is is short it takes too much time. I cant wait til it grow and I can just throw it back in a pony. The half wig was ok but I didnt want to risk breakage from the comes, so back to the braids. Finals are coming up and it will make my life so much easier. Well I hope everyone is well! HHG

Hello Ladies:

I haven't had the time to post lately just caught up in the whirlwind called Life. Anyhow, I want thank FindingMe and Bign_7 for giving me information on adding oil to the relaxer. I finally relaxed last week and the results of this were wonderful!!!

My hair has never ever been so soft after a self relaxer.

I was reading the thread on steam treatment and was wondering if anyone here steams their hair? If so, what was your personal experience? This is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing.

BTW- I like the hair Klo!

hey ladies...just wanna say good luck to all of you that are taking finals....i am back in school for the second time myself....but thank God no finals for me......but GOOD LUCK LADIES!!!!! YOu will do well im sure.

BTW...i did add a couple pic in my fotki

Hello Ladies:

I haven't had the time to post lately just caught up in the whirlwind called Life. Anyhow, I want thank FindingMe and Bign_7 for giving me information on adding oil to the relaxer. I finally relaxed last week and the results of this were wonderful!!!

My hair has never ever been so soft after a self relaxer.

I was reading the thread on steam treatment and was wondering if anyone here steams their hair? If so, what was your personal experience? This is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing.

BTW- I like the hair Klo!

:woohoo:I'm SO glad. Mine was the bomb, too!!!!

:hide:....ummmm....I just bought a steamer. I have not received i yet, but I will let you know how it turns out when I get it...

...signing off...FindingMe...caught in a PJ whirlwind...:twister:

hey ladies...just wanna say good luck to all of you that are taking finals....i am back in school for the second time myself....but thank God no finals for me......but GOOD LUCK LADIES!!!!! YOu will do well im sure.

BTW...i did add a couple pic in my fotki

Ditto! Good luck to you guys!

:hide:....ummmm....I just bought a steamer. I have not received i yet, but I will let you know how it turns out when I get it...

...signing off...FindingMe...caught in a PJ whirlwind...:twister:
:stop: FM Hold on just a minute!!!! You know we need details girl :lachen:!!!!

Thanks for all the positive comments ladies !!!!

Last edited:

My bad y'all......another double post...I'm trying to get it together :wallbash:

Last edited:
:stop: FM Hold on just a minute!!!! You know we need details girl :lachen:!!!!

Thanks for all the positive comments ladies !!!!

Girl, I am almost finished with my curlformers review and should post next week in my FOTKI. Them dangone things...:lachen: (Bottom line: If you are relaxed, save your money and get flexirods for this style if you want ringlets...much cheaper AND easier to use in my opinion...maybe the ladies with texlaxed or natural hair will get more benefit from the curlformers...) The steamer review will be whenever I get the steamer from my ebay guy...It cost about $120... But ya'll know it was my burfday and I just had my 15 year wedding anniversary last week, so I used all my funds for hair stuff...sad, but true...:lachen: PJ-ism at it's best...

Hey, aldies- Check out my official Curlformers review in my FOTKI http://public.fotki.com/FindingMe/april-2009/curlformers-review/

Last edited:
Hi everyone! :wave:I'm new to the boards and thought I'd make my first post with this thread. I have always been interested in healthy hair care. My mom (R.I.P.) and my aunt were both hairdressers and so I was spoiled as a child through my teenage years with having them always take care of my hair. My hair has always been fairly healthy and around shoulder-length aside from the one time I got it cut into a reverse-chin-length bob and another time when I messed it up terribly:

I was using peroxide and Sun-in without rinsing it out and I didn't tell my mom. My hair color changes naturally with the sun and she just thought it was lightening on its own. When she went to give me a relaxer the day before my HS senior pictures, it broke off severely, all the way to the new growth in several places. You can't tell from how beautiful my pictures came out though. The longer hair on top covered the broken-off parts, but it was pretty bad. I cried. My mom, being the goddess that she was, made magic of my hair for the pictures. After that, my hair continued to fall out with each shampoo, but several, several protein treatments later and following the heavy use of fermodyll, it finally recovered. I couldn't wear it in a ponytail for a couple of months due to the lack of hair in the front of my head though.

Now, ever since I graduated from college back in 2002 and moved away from my family and when my mom passed away in 2005, I have been neglecting my hair BIG TIME :ohwell: The only reason it has grown so much is due to pregnancy (3 kids, 5, 2 and 3 months) and just overall laziness. I have been wearing ponytails and buns for about 3 years now because I just haven't dedicated the time to my hair that it deserves.

Right now, my hair is about APL and though its in fair shape, I've been experiencing a LOT of breakage lately, probably due to overprocessing. I have been stretching relaxers (1-2 a year myself for the past 3 years and then getting virgin relaxers professionally done when it just gets too much to handle. Up until last week, I really thought that all of that hair on the floor was normal. I figured it was just shedding. Now, I realize it is breakage, and most likely for me, due to a SERIOUS lack of moisture and those overlapping virgin relaxers.

So, I googled something last week (can't remember what it was atm) that led me to the BHM forums. I was amazed at all of the gorgeous hair that I saw! I always figured that women of color are either blessed with great hair-growing genes (my sister's hair has always grown very long, strong and beautiful, and her daughter's hair is the same way. They both have very thick hair). Now I know that anyone can grow their hair long if they take the time to care for it.

From BHM, I viewed several members' profiles and eventually stumbled upon LHCF and I feel that this will be my home!

My current goal starts of course with me first nursing my hair back to health. I plan on texlaxing with Phyto Step 1, and I have a regimen picked out that I will begin this week as soon as my newly ordered products arrive. I have a Mason Pearson rake comb on the way too, and I'm trying to talk DH into getting me a Pibbs lol. PJ before I even start haha! I think that full Mid-back length hair would be a good goal for me by year's end.

My children are half Puerto Rican, and have beautiful curly hair. My son's hair is cut short, so its extremely low maintenance. My middle child has type 3a-b hair, very pretty, bouncy ringlets that are super super soft and I suspect that my 2nd daughter's hair will be about the same texture. I'm about a 3c. During those long relaxer stretches, I thought I was going natural, but I just got too fed-up with the tangles and unmanageability of it all. A lot of it was just due to me not knowing how to take care of my hair though.

So, thank you for having me. I'm looking forward to this and to getting to know you all better!!!

Hi everyone! :wave:I'm new to the boards and thought I'd make my first post with this thread. I have always been interested in healthy hair care. My mom (R.I.P.) and my aunt were both hairdressers and so I was spoiled as a child through my teenage years with having them always take care of my hair. My hair has always been fairly healthy and around shoulder-length aside from the one time I got it cut into a reverse-chin-length bob and another time when I messed it up terribly:

I was using peroxide and Sun-in without rinsing it out and I didn't tell my mom. My hair color changes naturally with the sun and she just thought it was lightening on its own. When she went to give me a relaxer the day before my HS senior pictures, it broke off severely, all the way to the new growth in several places. You can't tell from how beautiful my pictures came out though. The longer hair on top covered the broken-off parts, but it was pretty bad. I cried. My mom, being the goddess that she was, made magic of my hair for the pictures. After that, my hair continued to fall out with each shampoo, but several, several protein treatments later and following the heavy use of fermodyll, it finally recovered. I couldn't wear it in a ponytail for a couple of months due to the lack of hair in the front of my head though.

Now, ever since I graduated from college back in 2002 and moved away from my family and when my mom passed away in 2005, I have been neglecting my hair BIG TIME :ohwell: The only reason it has grown so much is due to pregnancy (3 kids, 5, 2 and 3 months) and just overall laziness. I have been wearing ponytails and buns for about 3 years now because I just haven't dedicated the time to my hair that it deserves.

Right now, my hair is about APL and though its in fair shape, I've been experiencing a LOT of breakage lately, probably due to overprocessing. I have been stretching relaxers (1-2 a year myself for the past 3 years and then getting virgin relaxers professionally done when it just gets too much to handle. Up until last week, I really thought that all of that hair on the floor was normal. I figured it was just shedding. Now, I realize it is breakage, and most likely for me, due to a SERIOUS lack of moisture and those overlapping virgin relaxers.

So, I googled something last week (can't remember what it was atm) that led me to the BHM forums. I was amazed at all of the gorgeous hair that I saw! I always figured that women of color are either blessed with great hair-growing genes (my sister's hair has always grown very long, strong and beautiful, and her daughter's hair is the same way. They both have very thick hair). Now I know that anyone can grow their hair long if they take the time to care for it.

From BHM, I viewed several members' profiles and eventually stumbled upon LHCF and I feel that this will be my home!

My current goal starts of course with me first nursing my hair back to health. I plan on texlaxing with Phyto Step 1, and I have a regimen picked out that I will begin this week as soon as my newly ordered products arrive. I have a Mason Pearson rake comb on the way too, and I'm trying to talk DH into getting me a Pibbs lol. PJ before I even start haha! I think that full Mid-back length hair would be a good goal for me by year's end.

My children are half Puerto Rican, and have beautiful curly hair. My son's hair is cut short, so its extremely low maintenance. My middle child has type 3a-b hair, very pretty, bouncy ringlets that are super super soft and I suspect that my 2nd daughter's hair will be about the same texture. I'm about a 3c. During those long relaxer stretches, I thought I was going natural, but I just got too fed-up with the tangles and unmanageability of it all. A lot of it was just due to me not knowing how to take care of my hair though.

So, thank you for having me. I'm looking forward to this and to getting to know you all better!!!
:welcome2:We are SO glad to have you. I used to use the Sun-In in secret as well!!!:lachen: I did not do the peroxide and my parents and family to THIS DAY swear my natural hair is a light reddish color. They ask me everytime they see me if I am dyeing my hair brown! LOL!! The dye I do put in actually makes it a slightly lighter color, so to me that's funny!

You are in the right place. I can't wait to see pics as all you need to start in this thread is to post your starting pics, regimen and set your own goals for yourself (whatever they may be)

Welcome again!

:circle: WELCOME MORENITA:circle:

:welcome3: Morenita!!!!!!!!! :grin:

Your hair looks great FM!!!!!!! I like both results, but still in the middle. I don't know. They really did look the same. And Congrats on your 15 years!!!!!!!

Thanks! Seriously on the curlformers, for relaxed hair, I would say stick with the flexirods. There is a lot of pulling and tugging and manipulation with the curlformers...

Welcome...

Ive been thru something like that if u ever read thru this thread (yea I know its a lot) you'll see my story but ur in the right place cant wait to see pics

Hey ladies, ive been thinking lately about transitioning....im only 8 weeks post so i have a minute to go...hopefully i can hold out....anyone else transitioning?

galadriel is transitioning:yep: If I can strecth past 12 weeks, I might consider it. :lachen:

Seriously, if I could get to like 5 months, I would just stay APL and transition from there...I have been reading more and more natural threads and for me, that is a sign that I am interested. I wore my hair natural from 1999-2002, but it was when I had my son and it was the same length it is now, but with the shrinkage, it looked chin length. I couldn't manage it. It was outta control thickness and I could never master the Wash N Go or make my curls pop. I am seriously thinking about doing it so I can workout with no worries and get back in shape and have a cute fly 'do. I always wanted my hair to look like Lisa Nicole Carson (from Ally McBeal, remember her?) and it never did. She was my hair idol back in the day...

ETA: natural hair picture (click to see larger)

Attachments

• natural.JPG
    natural.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
galadriel is transitioning:yep: If I can strecth past 12 weeks, I might consider it. :lachen:

Seriously, if I could get to like 5 months, I would just stay APL and transition from there...I have been reading more and more natural threads and for me, that is a sign that I am interested. I wore my hair natural from 1999-2002, but it was when I had my son and it was the same length it is now, but with the shrinkage, it looked chin length. I couldn't manage it. It was outta control thickness and I could never master the Wash N Go or make my curls pop. I am seriously thinking about doing it so I can workout with no worries and get back in shape and have a cute fly 'do. I always wanted my hair to look like Lisa Nicole Carson (from Ally McBeal, remember her?) and it never did. She was my hair idol back in the day...

i know....the natural threads is what got me too..:yep:...im already having problems with my NG...well i wouldn't say problems but its growing really fast and I never stretched before so I hope i dont' relapse...but thats the good thing about transitioning...if you change your mind later:nono:...you can always go back...im been doing alot of researh and trying to come familiar with my texture...im still not sure what texture my hair is...lol...but I also found this salon not to far from my house called Uncle Funky's daughter and from what I read they are great and they also help with the transitioning process....I think imma try it out...hopefully I can stretch and do it....i like the versitility and I also like the fact that it can handle much more that way
BTW...your hair looked great natural...

i know....the natural threads is what got me too..:yep:...im already having problems with my NG...well i wouldn't say problems but its growing really fast and I never stretched before so I hope i dont' relapse...but thats the good thing about transitioning...if you change your mind later:nono:...you can always go back...im been doing alot of researh and trying to come familiar with my texture...im still not sure what texture my hair is...lol...but I also found this salon not to far from my house called Uncle Funky's daughter and from what I read they are great and they also help with the transitioning process....I think imma try it out...hopefully I can stretch and do it....i like the versitility and I also like the fact that it can handle much more that way
BTW...your hair looked great natural...

thanks! Let's try it together. maybe between the three of us, we can stumble on something that will help us... Are you planning to do a BC?

thanks! Let's try it together. maybe between the three of us, we can stumble on something that will help us... Are you planning to do a BC?
That sounds good....it will be interesting to see the outcome...i start to get excited thinking about it:grin:..I will not be doing a BC well trying not too...My head is to big for a TWA:lachen:..I want to transition for about 6 months, then maybe cut my my hair into a bob and keep it that length until the permed ends grow out enough to cut them...thats my plan... hopefully with a little bit of praying and the right products and help of the stylist at the salon, I can do it:grin:. We can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I transitioned about 10 years ago. Not deliberately though. After a relaxer my DH said he saw a bald spot on the back of my head and I never relaxed again. Unfortunately it wasn't until February when I joined this thread that I finally understood I needed a leave in moisturizer. Before using leave ins my hair was always dry and I had unruly shrinkage which I combated with direct heat (straightening comb/flat iron/blow dryer). I still blow dry on a cooler setting..but I rollerset as well. I also discovered my hair was more curly than kinky.
Here's my ponytail after a ponytail rollerset last week.
4-16-08.jpg

Here it is 1 week later after moisturizing w/ mango butter..sealed w/coconut oil every other day. I fold it under and put 1 clip in it at night.
hairpic035A.jpg

Last edited:
I transitioned about 10 years ago. Not deliberately though. After a relaxer my DH said he saw a bald spot on the back of my head and I never relaxed again. Unfortunately it wasn't until February when I joined this thread that I finally understood I needed a leave in moisturizer. Before using leave ins my hair was always dry and I had unruly shrinkage which a combated with direct heat (straightening comb/flat iron/blow dryer). I still blow dry on a cooler setting..but I rollerset as well. I also discovered my hair was more curly than kinky.
Here's my ponytail after a ponytail rollerset last week.
4-16-08.jpg

Here it is 1 week later after moisturizing w/ mango butter..sealed w/coconut oil every other day. I fold it under and put 1 clip in it at night.
hairpic035A.jpg

Just beautiful! But, you hair always is, Klo-

:lachen:at the bald spot and never relaxing again...Why were you even relaxing in the first place?

Just beautiful! But, you hair always is, Klo-

:lachen:at the bald spot and never relaxing again...Why were you even relaxing in the first place?

Didn't know any better...pre LHCF days...shrinkage is still a pain!!!

BTW I was reading another thread yesterday and a member suggested putting glycerin in your moisturizer/leave in/DC to improve results. I bought some tonight..under $3.00 at Walmart...I am going to dry condition w/it tonight!!! I might put it in my leave in as well...after that who knows.

Last edited:
Back