Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

lol, i went a little picture crazy and decided to share with you. the first set are of my sister. she talked me into flat ironing her thick, natural, APL hair. And lol, let me tell you, it seemed to have taken forever. But i liked the end result.

4vfdco.jpg

24m9q3r.jpg

2z56snq.jpg

These are of my air dried rollerset. I decided to try one out and see how it went. Now, i'm thinking its gonna be puffy because i used no heat, but it turned out really nice.
mk90sy.jpg

6fxt6s.jpg

this is a random picture of my new growth. I'm only 2 weeks post so i think this is a good amount. I'm not relaxing until my bday(april 28th) though. So i'll be able to post a length shot then.
25p7erp.jpg

lol, it was less pics than i thought. :grin:

OMG, I love those curls!!!! You are too cute :yep:.

Hi Ladies I am a newbie to the Forum **a former lurker** and If its not too late I would love to Join your challenge. I am natural 4A at APL. My goal is to get to Bra-Strap by june 2008.

I don't use any heat and I keep my hair cornrolled while wearing wigs. I mostly use Ayurvedic products and I baggy and moisturized daily. you can view my pics in my fotki.

I guess that is it.... I will go back and read all the post. So thanks and I can't wait to start this journey with you ladies here on LCHF. Thank you.

OOH, girl, I have a WIGO and it works GREAT!!!!

OK here's my $.010: :lachen:
I think as long as it's Tourmaline & Ceramic, that's what you want. Here is what the lady at the BSS told me: the main difference in the cheaper ones is the plates, ie they have a ceramic plating/coating vs the plates being ceramic through and through. It makes a difference in heat dispersion, but not that much. So with the Ceramic plates, your hair has less chance of being damaged by the heat and it tends to be more even and regulated. Tourmaline should help with the shine, even if it is just a coating.

I think that if you want like the most professional results, you should go with a higher end one, but if money is a factor and you just want your hair styled and smooth with some shine (which I think this will do), it's a good buy for the money. I can't tell if it has rounded edges on the plates or not, but if not, that will make it hard to bump ends, etc. Like, you might get those crimps and lines when you try to do it...:ohwell: But if just for straightening the hair, I think it will be fine. :yep:

My Sedu has the rounded edges that you can actually wrap your hair around and make a full curl which I like.

I do like my WIGO, though! I've had it for about 8 years, so it lasts...

Thanks lady! I've been going back and forth with this... I see you have a Sedu as well.... I think after your wonderful breakdown I'll stop being a cheap butt and buy the Sedu. Thanks again

I got up to page 57.... realized you guys want starter pics and regs.... here it goes.
jzbtlh.jpg

The products I use are as follows......

1. Shikakai Soap
2. Aubery Organic Conditioner - Island Naturals
**which I love**

Daily Moisturizers ** I interchange them**

1. Care Free Curl Gold
2. All Ways Natural - instant oil moisturizer
3. Neutrogena Triple Moisture - silk touch leave in
4. My own mist mix......(glycerin, castor oil, water)
5. Will now seal & pre-poo before wash days with Amla oil and Vatika oil

As needed products.....

1. Aphogee protein treatment *1x every 6 months*
2. Suave clarifying shampoo ** 1x month**
3. Aphogee Keratin 2 minute reconstructor ........ As of 4/2008 only on an as needed basis

Protective Styles:

As of March 2008 I am now wearing my hair in eight cornrolls going back and then throwing a wig on..... I am quite content with this protective style because its easy and I can still moisturize my hair every night and massage my scalp. I will be getting my braids done every 2 weeks....3 if I can push it..... of course with no hair added.

Washing:

Now my washing reg as of April 2008 is 2x a week one co-wash and the other with a pre-poo oil rinse in Amla oil then washing with Shikakai soap followed by conditioning....all while its braided.

Others:

I do baggy my ends every other night and I sleep in a satin cap..... I think wearing a scarf probably contributed to my thining edges so wearing a satin cap combined with me wearing braids totally work. I also mist my hair with my mix before I put my wig cap on and after I take it off at night..... so my hair won't dry out under the wig.

Last edited:
so here is my pic..this is a press..this is when my hair smelled burnt...it was gross...I'm going to braid for the next 2months and thinking about whether I'm going to relax or continue this natural journey so I guess my regime will be tuned to my braid extensions....

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Attachments

• lhcfpic.jpg
    lhcfpic.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!:congrats:That's awesome!

I don't think so (but I need to look back through the thread to see what your regi is), unless you are using something either (chemical or plant-based) that's not good during pregnancy. I know even some natural products and herbal remedies aren't recommended during pregnancy, but I guess you could do a google search. Most ladies enjoy additional growth during pregnancy, so as long as you are making an effort to take care of it, I think you'll be fine. Congrats again...

ETA: Looking back through the thread in detail, I think everything you are doing should be OK. I am not sure about the sulphur, though. Maybe you can do a search on using sulphur during pregnancy. I think the other natural oils are fine. I didn't really see anything out there when I didi a search on it...so maybe if you use in a lower concentration (ie dilute with more of your natural oils) you will be OK...

Thank You so much FindingMe, I will of course do what u suggested!!! Thank You again, I feel so HAPPY!!!!!!!!!:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Congratulations Cindy! Are you using anything that you think may be harmful to the baby?

Thank you!!!! At the moment the only thing that I am concerned about is the sulfur in my oil mix. I am going to do a search on the internet and go from there. Thanks agian!!!!:grin::grin::grin:

Congrats Cindyl!!!!!!!!! Depending on your regi, you may not have to change anything. I know some women stay away from relaxers during their pregnancy though. I will try, if the search works to pull up some threads for you.

Thank You very much fiya'slovechild I truly appreciate your advice!!!

hey u guys.. im pretty much new to the board.. been around for a month now... yet on a daily basis need help!:pullhair:

im going crazy you guys:wallbash:... my hair is not growing.. and this morning as i was driving to school...n i was in some sort of denial.... i couldve sworn i felt my hair on my back lol like the good ol days... its a beautiful day here in atlanta, ga and i just wish i had my length.... my nl-sl isnt cutting it:nono:... and i dont want to get a weave.. bcuz i think i would just feel awkward... and on top of that im scared of getting a bad weave and it breaking my hair even more.. i need help you guys.. ppl keep telln me my hair looks good it looks nice..... but IIIII dont feel that way... i know u guys can relate....

im ready for full SL and as soon as possible APL! ... APL is all i want... help help help help help help!...last week i went to the salon... they told me my hair was very healthy... very strong and thick... i just have one troubled area (a patch) but that i can say is growing out... n got a fresh trim which worked out pretty well.......buutt

on top of that, im supposedly trying to go natural.. which isnt helping my process..... im four months in... should i just get relaxers? cuz once im natural, my intentions are still to always wear my hair straight (i just want the full body).. im not about the texture looks. it wouldnt be too cute on me.

thanks for listening to me rant. if u guys have any suggestions.. let me know... with my hair this length i cant really do many protective styles.. im just stuckk!

TIA

Hi ladies,
I recently found out that I am pregnant, I was wondering does my hair care have to change or can I leave it the same?

Congrats! Ooh, I was wondering the same thing b/c we are planning on trying for another late this summer! I don't think you'd have to change too much. Just be careful with the oils u are using. I know some are not safe when preggos. I have the same questions as you so hopefully we both can find something out!:grin:

hey u guys.. im pretty much new to the board.. been around for a month now... yet on a daily basis need help!:pullhair:

im going crazy you guys:wallbash:... my hair is not growing.. and this morning as i was driving to school...n i was in some sort of denial.... i couldve sworn i felt my hair on my back lol like the good ol days... its a beautiful day here in atlanta, ga and i just wish i had my length.... my nl-sl isnt cutting it:nono:... and i dont want to get a weave.. bcuz i think i would just feel awkward... and on top of that im scared of getting a bad weave and it breaking my hair even more.. i need help you guys.. ppl keep telln me my hair looks good it looks nice..... but IIIII dont feel that way... i know u guys can relate....

im ready for full SL and as soon as possible APL! ... APL is all i want... help help help help help help!...last week i went to the salon... they told me my hair was very healthy... very strong and thick... i just have one troubled area (a patch) but that i can say is growing out... n got a fresh trim which worked out pretty well.......buutt

on top of that, im supposedly trying to go natural.. which isnt helping my process..... im four months in... should i just get relaxers? cuz once im natural, my intentions are still to always wear my hair straight (i just want the full body).. im not about the texture looks. it wouldnt be too cute on me.

thanks for listening to me rant. if u guys have any suggestions.. let me know... with my hair this length i cant really do many protective styles.. im just stuckk!

TIA
Hey Sweetsuccess,

What's your regi ? I took a :peek2: at your fotki. How did the rollerset turn out? You did a good job rolling:yep::yep::yep:. Lot's of members grow their hair by rollersetting and limiting direct heat.

omg... rollersetting was a nightmare.. lol i wanted to do the rollersetting thing.. but i dont know... i might just to dry.. then flight iron or something... my hair was thicker than ever.. especially my roots after i rollerst. any suggestions?

i dont have a set regimen right now.... i use mizani, keracare, and sunsilk products..
wash and dc every 7 days.
and thats about it....................... any more suggestions?

Hey Sweetsuccess,

What's your regi ? I took a :peek2: at your fotki. How did the rollerset turn out? You did a good job rolling:yep::yep::yep:. Lot's of members grow their hair by rollersetting and limiting direct heat.

omg... rollersetting was a nightmare.. lol i wanted to do the rollersetting thing.. but i dont know... i might just to dry.. then flight iron or something... my hair was thicker than ever.. especially my roots after i rollerst. any suggestions?

i dont have a set regimen right now.... i use mizani, keracare, and sunsilk products..

I use Mizani Rose H20, i'm loving it so much right now. I mainly use it for my ends, its great. The main thing in growing is to retain length. And your ends have to be in good condition to do that, so try targeting them, giving them lots of moisture and sealing it with oils.

As far as rollersetting, i usually air dry when i do mine. It has turned out great both times. I have pictures in this thread. I think they even turned out better than when i used heat.

Hey Ladies! Sorry I have not been posting much lately, I had I back away from the hair. I was starting to feel crazy :spinning:. I got a half wig last week and have been wearing it as a protective style...I love it. Its so quick and easy. I will be posting pics in my fotki soon. Hope all is going well and HHG!

Dont give up on the rollersetting, it takes some time and practice, but I gets better. Make sure you are using the right size rollers for your hair lenghth I use the green and pink I believe. Also make sure that you are not puting to much hair in the rollers. The section should not be wider then the diameter of the roller or longer that the lenght of the roller ( i hope that makes sense) Also make sure your hair is completly dry before you take out the rollers. HTH
What products are you using with the rollerset are you using a setting lotion?

Back