Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

Hey BB10, the first 12 weeks no biggie... the last 4 I had my hair cornrowed and I wore wigs. I was trying to make it to Friday that will put me at 17 weeks.... honestly I don't know if this was a good thing for me or not. I'll have to see when I relax it, but I didn't have any intentions of letting it go on this long; nor did I take care of my hair the way I should have. So hopefully I'll have a success story to tell. As far as for you, how many weeks are you striving for? If I didn't have somewhere to go I would have continued to stretch, I'd wear a wig but it would be nice to have my hair down for a while. Good luck to you lady and you know we have your back!

Oh yeah I used Kera Care Moisturizer with Jojoba, I also have a spray bottle with water and I mist away...
Im striving for my birthdate June 24, hopefully...but im waiting on your success story....I know you gone have one! :thumbsup:

First off, a huge warm WELCOME to all the newbies, please forgive me for not remembering all the names, my memory's not what it used to be:lachen:

I'm in a funk right now cause my hair is trippin and I have some serious studying to do so I can't be bothered but I am. I did another braidout over the weekend and it was all good till I put my usual DC in, which is LeKair cholesterol mixed with EVOO. Usually its great but this time I got tangles galore. I was upset. I still did the braidout (used a new CON leave in conditioner, hated it:angry2: )then I dried under the drier for half hour and airdried overnight. Woke up the next morning hair still wasn't dry but a girl had to go to work. So now its frizzy and crunchy and I'm hoping my scurl mixture will sort it out till I get to wash the weekend.

I'm thinking of adding conditioner washes to my regimen during the week but I don't know how that will work with my dry scalp. Looks like I'll have to do a search on conditioner washing.
Okay vent over, thanks for listening ladies!

Okay so i have no idea what works for my hair....ahhhhh help i'm nervous...i don't want to go out and buys tons of products and concoctions and i have no idea how to use them. I want to "do right" by my hair and myself....where to start where to start :perplexed:whyme:.....

Okay so i have no idea what works for my hair....ahhhhh help i'm nervous...i don't want to go out and buys tons of products and concoctions and i have no idea how to use them. I want to "do right" by my hair and myself....where to start where to start :perplexed:whyme:.....
First you should find out what type of hair you have....I don't know my type when it comes to (4a, b and all that)...I just know my hair gets really dry. So i know I need a really good conditioner and I know I need to deep condition my hair alot.....I know you dont wanna go and just buy things but it is a instance of trial and error...these ladies have very Good ideas and regimens going on, you can try them, but just don't be disappointed if it doesn't work just as good for you....I have tried many things out there but you just gotta try until you find that right product that your hair loves. What are you having problems with, breakage, shedding, dryness?

First you should find out what type of hair you have....I don't know my type when it comes to (4a, b and all that)...I just know my hair gets really dry. So i know I need a really good conditioner and I know I need to deep condition my hair alot.....I know you dont wanna go and just buy things but it is a instance of trial and error...these ladies have very Good ideas and regimens going on, you can try them, but just don't be disappointed if it doesn't work just as good for you....I have tried many things out there but you just gotta try until you find that right product that your hair loves. What are you having problems with, breakage, shedding, dryness?

ITA! Without knowing exactly what you need, it's going to be trial and error which can be intimidating for us newbies...:yep:

I started first by searching the forums and reading threads and looking at stuff from people that had hair that I thought was similar to mine in some way...thickness, texture, coarseness, porosity, whatever. I would look at their pics and FOTKIs and blogs and determine if their hair was similar to mine. I think I started with what my most pressing issue was (dryness in the beginning)...so I started from there and I got a lot of tips I could use, but to be honest, 80% of those tips and (just as much product) went to waste bc it ended up not really working for my hair.:ohwell:

Now I'm a little more savvy bc of the trial and error in knowing what my hair likes and doesn't like.:yep: You live and learn and I think that's part of it and kinda part of the fun, too.

If you don't want to waste a lot of money, I would start with some of the ayurvedic and homemade kinda stuff...oils (coconut, castor, olive - the same ones used for cooking, etc.:yep:), pastes (baking soda for clarifying, Indian bars and powders, etc.) and stuff like that generally aren't that expensive and even if you can't use it on your hair, you can still use it in your kitchen. :lachen: I hope you can find something that works for you:yep:

Hello Everyone.

I just made my MN mix last night. How often are you guys applying I dont want to over do it.

:grin:

I usually apply mine every other day. I part like if i was oiling my scalp and rub it in really good. i continue until i've done the entire head. HTH. :grin:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=186229&highlight=gymfreak

Check this thread out. Its about building up you a good regimen without getting carried away trying any and everything. Like the other ladies said, it will be trial and error, but you can do it. I hope this helps. :grin:

well right now i'm natural have been for a while...i pressed for a a while too ugh i hated the smell, my hair always smelled like it was being burned just a little more and it would be singed off....my friend noticed while braiding my hair one night that there was a piece that looked singed i was furious never going back to that place ever again!!! My problem is shedding...breaking and i don't feel as if its growing.

I have been thinking for a while now that I want to go back to a relaxer I like my hair straight...as far as texture i don't think i match any of the descriptions however my hair gets very very dry its like a desert up there. I decided that I'm going to go ahead and get a relaxer natural is just not for me though i love doing my braid out fro's for my lifestyle a relaxer is better for me. So i'm going to go to a recommended salon that i found on here in my town and get a relaxer...then i'm going to figure things out! going to try to make an appointment this afternoon...wait just checked their website they do texturizers? what do you ladies think should i start off slow with a texturizer? or just do a stretch with the relaxer....fyi i looked on the abbreviations list what is an MN?

well right now i'm natural have been for a while...i pressed for a a while too ugh i hated the smell, my hair always smelled like it was being burned just a little more and it would be singed off....my friend noticed while braiding my hair one night that there was a piece that looked singed i was furious never going back to that place ever again!!! My problem is shedding...breaking and i don't feel as if its growing.

I have been thinking for a while now that I want to go back to a relaxer I like my hair straight...as far as texture i don't think i match any of the descriptions however my hair gets very very dry its like a desert up there. I decided that I'm going to go ahead and get a relaxer natural is just not for me though i love doing my braid out fro's for my lifestyle a relaxer is better for me. So i'm going to go to a recommended salon that i found on here in my town and get a relaxer...then i'm going to figure things out! going to try to make an appointment this afternoon...wait just checked their website they do texturizers? what do you ladies think should i start off slow with a texturizer? or just do a stretch with the relaxer....fyi i looked on the abbreviations list what is an MN?

Miconazole Nitrate (like Monistat).

IMHO (in my humble opinion), Why don't you read through the board first to try to get some more tips for your natural hair. If you still want to chemically straighten, try a texturizer first and then go to a relaxer if needed. I just say this bc once you add the chemicals, that's it, so maybe go forward in degrees?...

I agree with Findingme.....maybe you should start slow...because you can always relax your hair if need be...maybe you should try the texturizer first...You said you have a problem with shedding and dryness...Have you tried doing Prepoos....I tried it for the first time last week and its the best thing...I have a Big problem with shedding and also dry hair, but this actually worked for me....
I think you should look around on the forum and get ideas and try different things before you actually relax...then if you don't like what you tried...Relax then! You will be fine, these ladies are awesome...and share great advice.:yep:

Me too, I am just starting so if I have any promblems with using it by itself i'm just gonna add it to my ORS carrot oil

I want to try it alone, but i'm afraid I may get headaches. I may check it out though. I've always mixed something. But i'm sure u get better results using it alone.

You will be there in no time I really like ur regimen I need to get back to rollersetting as often as I use to

from your mouth to GOD's ears:yep:...I have taken a break from rollersetting,since i purchased the SEDU:grin:...I noticed that most BSL and beyond ladies use a flatiron once or twice a month:yep:...I'm actually air drying as i type to test it out...i will post pics

:dance7:Welcome New Members :dance7:

braidout4-3-08.jpg

from your mouth to GOD's ears:yep:...I have taken a break from rollersetting,since i purchased the SEDU:grin:...I noticed that most BSL and beyond ladies use a flatiron once or twice a month:yep:...I'm actually air drying as i type to test it out...i will post pics

I've been air drying a lot too bc Im lazy but I can never leave my hair out. if I air dry I have 2 bun. I started getting carried away with the flatiron once I relaxed last month but my ladies were here 2 get me back in shape. Cant wait 2 see the airdry pics...

:help3: Ladies... this is a flat iron that is at ULTA(see below), it has temp control and other things that a comparable to some of the more popular flat irons. Maybe I'm being frugal... okay straight up damn cheap. This is only 20 or $30, and for the life of me I can't justify dropping $150 on a flat iron that I may use once a month. Okay please convince me that it will be better for my hair, that little tiny lepechaun hair maidens will come out and throw shine on my hair, that.... okay you get the point. Are the Chi's and Sedu's that much better? I know someone else has a post going around about which type to purchase... but I have to trust my Newbie sister's opinions on this one. What are your thoughts? I am needing advice and tell me it's necessary to splurge for my hair's health if they are that much better.

ULTA Exclusive! Tourmaline & Ceramic 1 1/2 inch Flat Iron

Hi ladies,
I recently found out that I am pregnant, I was wondering does my hair care have to change or can I leave it the same?

:help3: Ladies... this is a flat iron that is at ULTA(see below), it has temp control and other things that a comparable to some of the more popular flat irons. Maybe I'm being frugal... okay straight up damn cheap. This is only 20 or $30, and for the life of me I can't justify dropping $150 on a flat iron that I may use once a month. Okay please convince me that it will be better for my hair, that little tiny lepechaun hair maidens will come out and throw shine on my hair, that.... okay you get the point. Are the Chi's and Sedu's that much better? I know someone else has a post going around about which type to purchase... but I have to trust my Newbie sister's opinions on this one. What are your thoughts? I am needing advice and tell me it's necessary to splurge for my hair's health if they are that much better.

ULTA Exclusive! Tourmaline & Ceramic 1 1/2 inch Flat Iron

OOH, girl, I have a WIGO and it works GREAT!!!!

OK here's my $.010: :lachen:
I think as long as it's Tourmaline & Ceramic, that's what you want. Here is what the lady at the BSS told me: the main difference in the cheaper ones is the plates, ie they have a ceramic plating/coating vs the plates being ceramic through and through. It makes a difference in heat dispersion, but not that much. So with the Ceramic plates, your hair has less chance of being damaged by the heat and it tends to be more even and regulated. Tourmaline should help with the shine, even if it is just a coating.

I think that if you want like the most professional results, you should go with a higher end one, but if money is a factor and you just want your hair styled and smooth with some shine (which I think this will do), it's a good buy for the money. I can't tell if it has rounded edges on the plates or not, but if not, that will make it hard to bump ends, etc. Like, you might get those crimps and lines when you try to do it...:ohwell: But if just for straightening the hair, I think it will be fine. :yep:

My Sedu has the rounded edges that you can actually wrap your hair around and make a full curl which I like.

I do like my WIGO, though! I've had it for about 8 years, so it lasts...

Last edited:
Hi ladies,
I recently found out that I am pregnant, I was wondering does my hair care have to change or can I leave it the same?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!:congrats:That's awesome!

I don't think so (but I need to look back through the thread to see what your regi is), unless you are using something either (chemical or plant-based) that's not good during pregnancy. I know even some natural products and herbal remedies aren't recommended during pregnancy, but I guess you could do a google search. Most ladies enjoy additional growth during pregnancy, so as long as you are making an effort to take care of it, I think you'll be fine. Congrats again...

ETA: Looking back through the thread in detail, I think everything you are doing should be OK. I am not sure about the sulphur, though. Maybe you can do a search on using sulphur during pregnancy. I think the other natural oils are fine. I didn't really see anything out there when I didi a search on it...so maybe if you use in a lower concentration (ie dilute with more of your natural oils) you will be OK...

Last edited:
Hi ladies,

Congrats Cindyl!!!!!!!!! Depending on your regi, you may not have to change anything. I know some women stay away from relaxers during their pregnancy though. I will try, if the search works to pull up some threads for you.

Back