Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

Hello Ladies,
I have been thinking about getting a sewin weave in May. I've been looking at other threads concerning how to take care of my hair and how long I should leave it in. I think that it might be a good idea. I was thinking about leaving it in for about 6-8 weeks. If anyone has any suggestions they'd like to share, they would be truly appreciated.

Hello Ladies,
I have been thinking about getting a sewin weave in May. I've been looking at other threads concerning how to take care of my hair and how long I should leave it in. I think that it might be a good idea. I was thinking about leaving it in for about 6-8 weeks. If anyone has any suggestions they'd like to share, they would be truly appreciated.

Hi Cindy!

It definitely helps to not get the hair braided too tightly, and having a moisturizing hair spray (esp. mixed with a little tea tree oil) can combat the itchies and keep the hair soft.

You guys I just wanted to share my latest pic on my fotki. I think I've got a little growth going on. Maybe due to the Ovation cell therapy? But I started on 3/20. Maybe the vits and ORS hair mayo.... I don't know but I can definitely tell it's thicker and a bit longer. The pic doesn't really do any justice. Sucky camera phone. :rolleyes:

MsHottie you have definitely got some growth going on, so whatever is working for you, keep doing it. Nice new growth too!:yep:

Welcome Nay Nay!

Cindyl I don't have any suggestions as I've never had a sew in weave (I'm still tryin to deal with the hair I got:lachen:) But as long as you take extra special care of your hair underneath you should be fine. I would love to get some braids, but I'm on a Regrow-your-edges mission so I'ma take a break from that for now.

But speaking of braids, Jassy dearest, what kind of hair do you use to braid your hair? I get so overwhelmed when I'm in a hair store I never know what type to get:ohwell:

Okay ladies, I'll be off hiatus tomorrow. It was just getting way too cold for my hair but now that the sun is starting to shine, I will be removing the sew-in that I have tonight. GROWTH PICS WILL BE POSTED TONIGHT!

Hello ladies, sorry I have not posted in a bit, I have been pretty busy. Anyway, I have an update. I went to the salon on Sat. for a treatment, and you wont believe what happened. I almost died in that chair, but I got it cut :yep:. I dont know what came over me, it all happened so quickly:perplexed. At first I was scared, upset and everything else, but now I accually like it. I really think it was the best. I have been so insecure about the condition of my hair and cutting it has boosted my confidence. Also, my hair is so healthy now. I dont have any breakage, and it feels so much stronger. At first I thought of it as a set back, but now I think its just a better begining. However, my hair did grow, but it was extreamly uneven from all the breakage I had. So please check it out and let me now what you think. Thanks so much! :grin:

Welcome Nay Nay

I missed u ladies.... My house is a mess from with all the boxes but im taking a break... DH thinks Im so lazy but im jus tired. Ive been treating my hair so badly not washing and its soooo dry. I washed last night with castor oil and breaks over mixed with my Keracare and my hair feels soft and smells :lick:.

Hello ladies, sorry I have not posted in a bit, I have been pretty busy. Anyway, I have an update. I went to the salon on Sat. for a treatment, and you wont believe what happened. I almost died in that chair, but I got it cut :yep:. I dont know what came over me, it all happened so quickly:perplexed. At first I was scared, upset and everything else, but now I accually like it. I really think it was the best. I have been so insecure about the condition of my hair and cutting it has boosted my confidence. Also, my hair is so healthy now. I dont have any breakage, and it feels so much stronger. At first I thought of it as a set back, but now I think its just a better begining. However, my hair did grow, but it was extreamly uneven from all the breakage I had. So please check it out and let me now what you think. Thanks so much! :grin:

Wow, I love it Jas, it looks so beautiful and healthy:spinning:, I remember when I cut my hair to that length and it looked that healthy:ohwell: (not so sure about now) But I do know how you feel, my hair is uneven allover as well and I have a lot of broken off strands but before I go that route again, I'm going to see if I can repair the damage as best I could and see how it goes from there. It's hair and it'll grow back is what I always say. But your cut looks really really really good on you. I'm not upset, I'm jealous, but really happy for you:yep::grin:

Girl I love the cut... You are working it

Hello Ladies,

I think 6 weeks is good. Keep it clean and jus dont 4 get about ur hair under the weave. Maybe you should try BT or oils or something while its under there.

I think 6 weeks is good. Keep it clean and jus dont 4 get about ur hair under the weave. Maybe you should try BT or oils or something while its under there.

Thanks for the advice pr3tty, good luck with the move hope everything works out.

Love it!!! It's beautiful and no, it's not a setback. You did the right thing.

...yeah... :grin: what she said. ITA re the BT. I've been thinking of getting braids but Ima stick to the OCT challenge.

Hi Cindy!

It definitely helps to not get the hair braided too tightly, and having a moisturizing hair spray (esp. mixed with a little tea tree oil) can combat the itchies and keep the hair soft.

Thanks for the advice Galadriel, I am rethinking the whole sewin thing because if I want it done right, it is going to be very expensive and I am on a tight budget with school and all so I think that I may just get some micros. I am going to use a moisturizing spray with tea tree oil mixed in like you suggested. Thanks again

Hello ladies, sorry I have not posted in a bit, I have been pretty busy. Anyway, I have an update. I went to the salon on Sat. for a treatment, and you wont believe what happened. I almost died in that chair, but I got it cut :yep:.

Jassy your hair is too cute... it screams shine and health!!!!

Welcome Nay Nay

I missed u ladies.... My house is a mess from with all the boxes but im taking a break... DH thinks Im so lazy but im jus tired. Ive been treating my hair so badly not washing and its soooo dry. I washed last night with castor oil and breaks over mixed with my Keracare and my hair feels soft and smells :lick:.

Hey Pr3tty, I just completed a move as well... at least getting erverything from the old spot to the new one; now I have to finish getting situated. Anywho congrats on your new spot and I think that I will wash my hair because I have not/ and have unintentionally neglected it in 2 weeks. Okay 2 1/2 weeks :nono:. Ladies I seriously need some encouragement, and I will post some updated pics tomorrow... I'm almost afraid of the damage I may have caused my tresses.

Hi ladies, im a newbie....i joined some of the other threads, but i like the vibe you guys got going on here....i like the feedback and the tips...you guys are great and i will love to be a part...My goal is AP length by nov/dec 2008 and im trying the Relaxer stretching....Lately my hair has been shedding like crazy...im suprised i have any left...lol....I got a cut in early march and my last relaxer was Feb 24 so im READY!!! Im excited....i've learned so much from the site..:grin: I will post more pics as soon as I wash my hair...i will also post a regimen....as soon as i come up with one....has anyone heard of nu expressions products and also Joyce Williams hairfood...my sorority sister has tremendous growth like 6 inches with these products in the last year....

Last edited:
Hey Cindyl! The weave sounds like a good idea. Try to find hair that is easy to blend with your natural hair. You dont want to damage the hair that is not in the weave.
Oh if you choose to get micros be carefull, I find that my edges become very weak. Also, I know how tight the budget can be with school, Im in the same boat. The briads that I did the other week are a real money saver. I did it my self in a few hrs and and it only takes 3-4 packs of hair. I use synthetic, because it is cheap and I dont leave it in long. HTH

Thanks for the advice pr3tty, good luck with the move hope everything works out.

Last edited:
Welcome Blackbeauty10!
Hi ladies, im a newbie....i joined some of the other threads, but i like the vibe you guys got going on here....i like the feedback and the tips...you guys are great and i will love to be a part...My goal is AP length by nov/dec 2008 and im trying the Relaxer stretching....Lately my hair has been shedding like crazy...im suprised i have any left...lol....I got a cut in early march and my last relaxer was Feb 24 so im READY!!! Im excited....i've learned so much from the site..:grin: I will post more pics as soon as I wash my hair...i will also post a regimen....as soon as i come up with one....has anyone heard of nu expressions products and also Joyce Williams hairfood...my sorority sister has tremendous growth like 6 inches with these products in the last year....

:dance7:Welcome:dance7:

:welcome3: to Black Beauty!!!!

Hey Pr3tty, I just completed a move as well... at least getting erverything from the old spot to the new one; now I have to finish getting situated. Anywho congrats on your new spot and I think that I will wash my hair because I have not/ and have unintentionally neglected it in 2 weeks. Okay 2 1/2 weeks :nono:. Ladies I seriously need some encouragement, and I will post some updated pics tomorrow... I'm almost afraid of the damage I may have caused my tresses.

Yea same here my old place is empty and clean but my new place is packed and its sooo much I dont know where to start.

Back