Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

Hello ladies,

I'm a newbie. I'm so glad to see so many other newbies reaching for their hair goals. Lets see my hair: 4a with some 3c, relaxed, nape length. I do not have a regime yet. I know I'm going to try and stretch for 8 weeks (at 5 weeks now) then 12 weeks after that. I used to go 4 weeks/ 5 weeks top between touch ups. I just had my ends trimmed at the Domnican Salon on Sunday but it was moreso like a cut because i also had my ends trimmed the Friday before that (the one on Friday was not done correctly at a different salon). Today I started using a MN mix and I'm trying to figure everything else out. I'm taking a hair, nail & skin vitamin, women's multi-vitamin & alta silica. Drinking lots of water & using no/low heat. Trying to figure out what protective hair style I will be using. My start picture is in my signature.

My ultimate goal is MBL by Dec. 09.

Happy hair grow ladies!

Welcome pearlfection. I'm with you on the whole stretching. I used to go every 4 weeks, which wasn't good. I waited 6 last time, and this time i'm shooting for 8, then 12 after that. And as time goes by u will have you a good regi set up. It takes trying things out and seeing what works for you. but welcome again. :grin:

Hello, I'd like to join as well.
I am a true newb about hair. I mean I seriously don't know anything about it. (It's very sad I know) I'be been looking around this forum to see as to wear to start but it's a bit of information overload.
I have no idea what hair type I have, it's never been thick even before I started getting relaxers. Lenghth wise my hair is currently a little past my bra strap. My goal is to have it waist lenght by the end of the summer. (about 4" away.) I haven't used heat on my hair and I've been keeping it in a bun for at least 1.5 months hoping that would help it grow some. But I haven't the slightest idea if that's working for me.

I don't have a pic of my hair because my twin took it on his digicam and has yet to send me the picture. I do have a general pic of myself where you can see my hair though.

Thanks,
Brittany
(ah sorry I'm so longwinded.)

from January (I didn't decide to grow my hair out seriously til Feb. 2)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f161/sanriochica333/me/zzzzzzzzz.jpg

and it has grown since last year
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f161/sanriochica333/me/?action=view&current=Ipods072.jpg

I find that Dove Moisturizing Conditioner is wonderful. I absolutely love it. I use their Moisturizing Shampoo as well. As far as leave-ins, i use Hair Mayo by Organics Africa's best. I use alot of their products such as CArrot Oil and their Tea Tree Shine, and i absolutely love them. I'm still putting my regi together as well, but those are some of my keepers.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am happy to find that some of the most highly regarded products are inexpensive. I have spent so much money on high end salon products only to be displeased with the results.

The lower cost really helps with the trial and error process, and in building a regimen.

Welcome, I think we are in this together, I have some major damage to highlights and overprocessing as well, I am glad to know that there is a little community that is just hair obsessed as I am...... btw my boyfriend thinks am absolutely nuts because of this forum also, but he loves my hair and the things i do with , so i'm guessing he be alright!lol

Oh and for this weekend, I am just gonna co-wash and DC airdry then put my 1/2 wig back on!!!!

Thanks Jassy28! We are in this together. We can't go wrong with the support and amazing inspiration this community provides. :antlers:

I have not tried wigs (full or halfs) because they always look too artificial on me....plus I have a big head. :grin: Though, it is definitely great for low manipulation. I should try a few out...

So as you all know we have 2 Newbie Challenges....

This is the original challenge and this is the place to start

All the ladies in the newbie Pt2 all started here and made this thread what it is today so I would like to say Thank You to them for helping to build this lil room (As I look at it) for others to start and feel welcome....

Another MAJOR reason we started the Newbie Pt2 was bc we had sooo many ladies saying their in and never coming back.... So with that said

Here is the new list of the ladies I feel are new to this challenge and taking it seriously and are on their way to the Newbie Pt2 very soon

Keep it up ladies:

SJ11987
TLSTACY
JASSY28
MISSTICAL
CINDYL
CALENT28
PEARLFECTION
GRACEFUL89
BRG240
ALWAYSWEARJOY
ISISALISA

Keep posting, answering the question of the week and posting update pics and lets grow

Last edited:
Hello, I'd like to join as well.
I am a true newb about hair. I mean I seriously don't know anything about it. (It's very sad I know) I'be been looking around this forum to see as to wear to start but it's a bit of information overload.
I have no idea what hair type I have, it's never been thick even before I started getting relaxers. Lenghth wise my hair is currently a little past my bra strap. My goal is to have it waist lenght by the end of the summer. (about 4" away.) I haven't used heat on my hair and I've been keeping it in a bun for at least 1.5 months hoping that would help it grow some. But I haven't the slightest idea if that's working for me.

I don't have a pic of my hair because my twin took it on his digicam and has yet to send me the picture. I do have a general pic of myself where you can see my hair though.

Thanks,
Brittany
(ah sorry I'm so longwinded.)

from January (I didn't decide to grow my hair out seriously til Feb. 2)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f161/sanriochica333/me/zzzzzzzzz.jpg

and it has grown since last year
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f161/sanriochica333/me/?action=view&current=Ipods072.jpg

Welcome... Your hair is really pretty and It look thick to me which is very nice

:hiya::welcome::welcome::welcome: TO EVERYONE

It is so nice to see that all the ladies joining are having their pics up so fast thats great......

Ladies the question of the week is

What did you do to your hair this weekend?

I washed my hair on Sunday and let it airdry. I then set my hair on flex-rods overnight. Here is my end result....sorry the pic is taken with my phone.

eukmzc.jpg

Your hair looks really nice I like it.... What products did u use?

Thanks, Pr3tty! I used Nexxus Phyto Organics poo and con.....Aphogee Provitamin Leave-in and a little bit of mango butter.

I'm batting a moisture problem so I'm still trying to find the right products for my hair. I usually stretch/transition for 16 wks.....but I may just transition for real this time b/c I'm tired of my dry, relaxed hair.

Hello ladies, is it too late to get on the newbie challenge? I just joined and i think it's great we are trying to uplift each other instead of haten. (you know how we do it):grin:

Hello ladies,

I'm a newbie. I'm so glad to see so many other newbies reaching for their hair goals. Lets see my hair: 4a with some 3c, relaxed, nape length. I do not have a regime yet. I know I'm going to try and stretch for 8 weeks (at 5 weeks now) then 12 weeks after that. I used to go 4 weeks/ 5 weeks top between touch ups. I just had my ends trimmed at the Domnican Salon on Sunday but it was moreso like a cut because i also had my ends trimmed the Friday before that (the one on Friday was not done correctly at a different salon). Today I started using a MN mix and I'm trying to figure everything else out. I'm taking a hair, nail & skin vitamin, women's multi-vitamin & alta silica. Drinking lots of water & using no/low heat. Trying to figure out what protective hair style I will be using. My start picture is in my signature.

Happy hair grow ladies!

Hi Pearlfection! I started in January & our hair seems to be similar. I am also stretching. I just stretched 8 weeks when I usually go 6. Next time I am stretching 10 weeks. I plan on attempting 12 weeks. Mango butter & Scurl will lay down growth like a charm. You might want to try it if this becomes an issue for you. Good luck to you!

I tried to cut my ends on my own this past weekend it didn't turn out good. I'm natural and I tried to do it without straightening my hair but when I was looking at my hair yesterday I still saw split ends. So this weekend I am going to straighten my hair and have a friend trim it for me, hopefully that will finally get rid of them.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am happy to find that some of the most highly regarded products are inexpensive. I have spent so much money on high end salon products only to be displeased with the results.

The lower cost really helps with the trial and error process, and in building a regimen.

So true. i think simple is best in getting a regi together. many cheapie products do so much more. Its all about the ingredients. And as u will found out as u continue on here, there are many products that contain ingreds that aren't good for your hair. Also, another product i love is Queen Helene. Now, this product isn't for everyone, but its great on my hair. It helps great with detangling and its inexpensive.

Hi all,
I would like to join the newbie challenge. I have been stocking almost a year and after a terrible stylist appointment in october I started my own personal challenge and the pic below is of my progress since October 28,2008. I was so pleased with the results I decide I should pay my dues and join. So here I am. Next goal is to fill in all the thin spots. and get it trim to even shoulder length. can I join? pleeeeeeeeeeeeassssssssssssseeeeeeee

Attachments

• foy.jpg
    foy.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 45
I'd like to join too. I need to buckle down and come up with a solid daily regimen other than just sleeping with my Silky on every night :yep:.

Moisturize before you seal....castor is very good for your ends...try to determine what is causing the split ends before you cut again (lack of moisture, heat etc.) If you can find out why the ends are splitting you may need to cut alot less.

Also please make sure you have a quality pair of shears. You need some good professional shears if you are going to cut your hair at home. Rough or unsharpened shears/scissors can also cause splitting...:ohwell:

Hi All!

I am so happy to be here! :yep: I am brand new to this forum.

My battle with hair has been a long one. I did not realize a community like this existed. I have finally decided to take a step back and figure out what my hair needs to thrive. I have LIVED on this forum for the past few days and have learned so much.

I will soon post some pics of my hair. I believe my type is 4a/b. I have bangs, with length to my ears on the sides and to my neck in the back.....sounds like a great style, huh! :nono: It is just plain choppy all over.
I have been trying to grow my layers out for 10 years! It never fails...the breakage. It happens very easily and my hair always seems thirsty. Oh, and I recently got highlights, about 7 weeks ago. Most of my breakage can be found where the highlights are......

Needlesstosay...I need help and I think I came to the right place.

I was just as excited when i found this forum as well. My boyfriend thinks in crazy, Oh well!

Welcome! Be wary, highlights can JACK UP some hair. I have given up permanent color altogether as it just dries my hair right out and breaks it right off. :perplexed 'Tis sad, but true...

Hello ladies,

Happy hair grow ladies!

Happy hair growing to you as well. You are in a PERFECT position to grow your hair out! Healthy and blunt cut! LOVES IT!! Welcome-

Hello ladies!
I just wanted to tell everyone that i got my hair cut yesterday. I thought it would be best to get rid of the damaged hair before i continue. I will post pics soon.
Happy growing!

I'M INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN, THIS IS A TEST SORRY, I WAS SO FRANTIC AND NOT READING THAT I DIDN'T REALIZE THERE WAS A FEE.

OKAY, I'VE STALKED THIS BOARD FOR 30 DAYS, I DON'T HAVE A CAMERA BUT MY HAIR HAS STOPPED SHEDDING, THANKS ALL YOU WONDERFUL WOMEN:grin:

Also please make sure you have a quality pair of shears. You need some good professional shears if you are going to cut your hair at home. Rough or unsharpened shears/scissors can also cause splitting...:ohwell:

Yeah, I just found this out unfortunately after I cut my hair with some house scissors. I just purchased a new pair at the BSS so I will attempt again because I still have split ends and little knots close to where the hair is spliting. I am so discouraged, I feel like I need to cut it all off inorder to get rid of the split ends.:sad:

Yeah, I just found this out unfortunately after I cut my hair with some house scissors. I just purchased a new pair at the BSS so I will attempt again because I still have split ends and little knots close to where the hair is spliting. I am so discouraged, I feel like I need to cut it all off inorder to get rid of the split ends.:sad:
My hair used to knot on the ends when I needed moisture...what product are you using ?

Is it too late to join? I am really interested. Please let me know if you can sign me up. I started with Vitamins in November 2007 and after reading the posts here I started with the external Regimen a few weeks ago......

This is what I am going to follow....
- WEDNESDAY: Co-wash
- SUNDAY: Shampoo; Deep Condition; Hot Oil treatment (Shampoos to use will be KeraCare, Herbal Essence, Motions, Head &Shoulders, Paul Mitchell, Tresseme)
- DAILY: Spray daily with UBH Dew, Infusium 23, Braid Spray or some other leave-in conditioner/moisterisor
- DAILY: Lightly oil Scalp with Sulu Max Grow, Carols Daughter and or Beautiful Tresses Serum -

- MONTHLY: Use clarifying shampoo to remove build up
- SIX WEEKS to EIGHT WEEKS: Deep Aphogee Protein Treatment
DAILY: Use MN around edges and in kitchen area

:grouphug2: to FindingMe, tlstacy, fiya'slovechild & espceially pr3tty for starting this thread.

To all newbies we can do this & Happy Healthy Hair Growth to you all.
:lots:

My hair used to knot on the ends when I needed moisture...what product are you using ?

I started out using Pantene Relaxed and Natural shampoo and conditioner. I was using kinky curly products, then I had extensions(micro) for 2months. After I took them out I noticed that my hair was extremely dry. Then I started using Black and Beautiful Organic Tea Tree shampoo and conditoner with menthol, vit E, and Keratin. These made my scalp feel like it was on fire. So now I started using Aubrey Organics Island Naturals shampoo and conditoner, Aubrey Organics GBP Conditoner, I didn't have a leave-in yet still looking. I use to clarify everytime I washed, I think that this contibuted to the dryness. Now I also prepoo with castor oil and conditioner. I don't know what to do anymore. Nothing seems to be working. Sorry for the long rundown .:sad:

Back