Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

Hi All!

I am so happy to be here! :yep: I am brand new to this forum.

My battle with hair has been a long one. I did not realize a community like this existed. I have finally decided to take a step back and figure out what my hair needs to thrive. I have LIVED on this forum for the past few days and have learned so much.

I will soon post some pics of my hair. I believe my type is 4a/b. I have bangs, with length to my ears on the sides and to my neck in the back.....sounds like a great style, huh! :nono: It is just plain choppy all over.
I have been trying to grow my layers out for 10 years! It never fails...the breakage. It happens very easily and my hair always seems thirsty. Oh, and I recently got highlights, about 7 weeks ago. Most of my breakage can be found where the highlights are......

Needlesstosay...I need help and I think I came to the right place. :grin:

Hi All!

My battle with hair has been a long one. I did not realize a community like this existed. I have finally decided to take a step back and figure out what my hair needs to thrive. I have LIVED on this forum for the past few days and have learned so much.

I will soon post some pics of my hair. I believe my type is 4a/b. I have bangs, with length to my ears on the sides and to my neck in the back.....sounds like a great style, huh! :nono: It is just plain choppy all over.
I have been trying to grow my layers out for 10 years! It never fails...the breakage. It happens very easily and my hair always seems thirsty. Oh, and I recently got highlights, about 7 weeks ago. Most of my breakage can be found where the highlights are......

Welcome and yes u r in the right place... cant wait to see the pics

This weekend I didn't do much to my hair (hmmm, low mani? :spinning:). I just kept my hair moisturized and sealed w/ oil. I can't stop using coconut oil--I love it! And ORS carrot oil moisturizer is great too. When I wash later this week, I plan to clarify and then do a protein treatment.

what brand coconut oil are you using? I just got this for my sister's hair and now I wanna try it

Hi All!

:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome: Don't worry ...it will get better!
CurlyPonytail2-18-08NTM-1.jpg

Hi All!

Yes, u are definitely in the right place!!! Welcome and yes, you will learn and find out so much about your hair. You'll be growing in no time. :grin:

:love3:

Sure, I just pour a little oil into my palm..rub my hands together and scrunch into my ends..as much or as little as you need so your ends don't go:ohsnap:...

Pr3tty also recommends Herbal Essence/ Breaks Over leave-in & conditioner.

Question on Herbal Essence/ Breaks Over leave-in & conditioner, is there a separate leave-in. I found the Conditoner, can I use that as a leave-in?

Question on Herbal Essence/ Breaks Over leave-in & conditioner, is there a separate leave-in. I found the Conditoner, can I use that as a leave-in?
The leave-in is separate...and hard to find...

FYI: Elasta QP Mango Butter is on sale at Rite Aid this week for $4.99 :shopping:...(moisturizing leave-in)

Its seperate and I wouldnt use the conditioner as a leave in... The leave in can be hard 2 find try target or walmart

This weekend I took the scissors to my hair and cut the split ends that I had. I sealed my hair with castor oil, this is the first time that I did it, I don't know if it came out the way that it was suppose to but with time I will get better. I purchased some more products Herbal Essences Breaks Over Conditioner.

Hi Pr3tty, Klomax and fiya'slovechild and everyone else! Thanks for the welcome. :drunk:

I just finished a quick twist set. I had planned to put in a relaxer tonight, but when I read a few posting on relaxing, I realized my hair is not in a good enough state. Because of all of the new growth (and split ends), I had to use holding spray to create a neat ponytail for work. It left my hair dry and brittle, and HARD.

Based on some of the posting, I applied a clarifying poo and protein conditioner. By the end of the week, I'll be ready for the relaxer (at 9 weeks). I purchased Mizani "Fortifying" and ORS Mayo. I still have to buy a good moisturizing conditioner and leave-in. I already have Nioxin's Silk Elixir, but it hasn't been mentioned on these boards. It seems OK, but nothing to shout about.

Thanks to all of you wonderful people, I have a long list of product recommendations for my shopping trip this week. I already have a lot of Motions product (based on an old stylist's recommendation) but I find it makes my hair dull and too mushy.

Lots of work to do......

This weekend I took the scissors to my hair and cut the split ends that I had. I sealed my hair with castor oil, this is the first time that I did it, I don't know if it came out the way that it was suppose to but with time I will get better. I purchased some more products Herbal Essences Breaks Over Conditioner.

Moisturize before you seal....castor is very good for your ends...try to determine what is causing the split ends before you cut again (lack of moisture, heat etc.) If you can find out why the ends are splitting you may need to cut alot less.

Hi Pr3tty, Klomax and fiya'slovechild and everyone else! Thanks for the welcome. :drunk:

I just finished a quick twist set. I had planned to put in a relaxer tonight, but when I read a few posting on relaxing, I realized my hair is not in a good enough state. Because of all of the new growth (and split ends), I had to use holding spray to create a neat ponytail for work. It left my hair dry and brittle, and HARD.

Based on some of the posting, I applied a clarifying poo and protein conditioner. By the end of the week, I'll be ready for the relaxer (at 9 weeks). I purchased Mizani "Fortifying" and ORS Mayo. I still have to buy a good moisturizing conditioner and leave-in. I already have Nioxin's Silk Elixir, but it hasn't been mentioned on these boards. It seems OK, but nothing to shout about.

Thanks to all of you wonderful people, I have a long list of product recommendations for my shopping trip this week. I already have a lot of Motions product (based on an old stylist's recommendation) but I find it makes my hair dull and too mushy.

Lots of work to do......

I find that Dove Moisturizing Conditioner is wonderful. I absolutely love it. I use their Moisturizing Shampoo as well. As far as leave-ins, i use Hair Mayo by Organics Africa's best. I use alot of their products such as CArrot Oil and their Tea Tree Shine, and i absolutely love them. I'm still putting my regi together as well, but those are some of my keepers.

Hi All!

Needlesstosay...I need help and I think I came to the right place.

I was just as excited when i found this forum as well. My boyfriend thinks in crazy, Oh well!

i have a fotki. i didnt have trouble downloading photos. I cant download photos on this site for some reason. Anyways, you might need to compress your pics to make them smaller. What is happening when you try to download your photos?

Thanks tlstacy, I got it working. I thought it didnt load but it did.

Lots of work to do......
Do a search for sistaslick...visit her fotki.....read her articles on self relaxing before your proceed...

LADIES - I am going to be hiding my hair (full head weave) from this weekend until mid-April. That will make me 11 weeks post. I will post a picture of my hair Friday night or Saturday before I go to the salon as an early update. The next one will be on April 20th. In the meantime, keep it up girls!

NVM this whole fullhead weave thing. I think I'm going to stick to dealing with my hair a little bit longer. Besides...that bct!h was charging me WAY toooo much! $275 for a fulllhead? Not including the hair? Oh NO honey.:lachen:

Hello ladies,

I'm a newbie. I'm so glad to see so many other newbies reaching for their hair goals. Lets see my hair: 4a with some 3c, relaxed, nape length. I do not have a regime yet. I know I'm going to try and stretch for 8 weeks (at 5 weeks now) then 12 weeks after that. I used to go 4 weeks/ 5 weeks top between touch ups. I just had my ends trimmed at the Domnican Salon on Sunday but it was moreso like a cut because i also had my ends trimmed the Friday before that (the one on Friday was not done correctly at a different salon). Today I started using a MN mix and I'm trying to figure everything else out. I'm taking a hair, nail & skin vitamin, women's multi-vitamin & alta silica. Drinking lots of water & using no/low heat. Trying to figure out what protective hair style I will be using. My start picture is in my signature.

My ultimate goal is MBL by Dec. 09.

Happy hair grow ladies!

NVM this whole fullhead weave thing. I think I'm going to stick to dealing with my hair a little bit longer. Besides...that bct!h was charging me WAY toooo much! $275 for a fulllhead? Not including the hair? Oh NO honey.:lachen:

Honey hush,

Think of all the products you can buy for $275 :shopping:..... I 'm starting to sweat just thinking about it...:lachen::lachen:

Cindyl here is the link for sistaslick's article on split ends...hope this helps
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/286376/split_ends_everything_you_and_your.html

Also check out her fotki...great articles including an article on selecting moisturizing conditioners.

KLomax your help is wonderful and greatly appreciated. I read the article. I know what my problem is "lack of moisture", I can't begin to explain exactly how dry my hair is. Still searching for a moisturizing leave-in. Again thank you so very much for all of your help.

KLomax your help is wonderful and greatly appreciated. I read the article. I know what my problem is "lack of moisture", I can't begin to explain exactly how dry my hair is. Still searching for a moisturizing leave-in. Again thank you so very much for all of your help.

YES :grin::grin::grin:...I didn't understand this until 2 weeks ago and it has made all of the difference!!!..Happy hair growing!!

Oh shyt I guess it worked. Now how do I take it off and apply it to a FOTKI. What is a FOTKI anyway?

It is a place to store and share photos. Go to fotki.com and create an account. It is a great way to track your progress. I am working on mine now. Let me now if you need help.

Hi All!

Needlesstosay...I need help and I think I came to the right place.

I was just as excited when i found this forum as well. My boyfriend thinks in crazy, Oh well!
Welcome, I think we are in this together, I have some major damage to highlights and overprocessing as well, I am glad to know that there is a little community that is just hair obsessed as I am...... btw my boyfriend thinks am absolutely nuts because of this forum also, but he loves my hair and the things i do with , so i'm guessing he be alright!lol

Oh and for this weekend, I am just gonna co-wash and DC airdry then put my 1/2 wig back on!!!!

I'm in! I have to get some pics done when I get my Pibbs. I will update that hopfully this week. But definitely add me to the list.

Back