*NEW* SELF RELAXER SUPPORT: WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN’T

hardcore protein treatment the day before. hair has never been stronger. no shedding or breakage. will start doing treatment day b4 from now on.

judy4all

Thx for the reply. I am a keep it simple person too. I have been using hair one olive oil then either aphogee 2 min or biolage ultra hydrating masque. Then I plop on a little porosity control for a minute. Then final rinse. I blowdry 80% dry after putting in a leave in: usually davines relaxing fluid mixed with frizz ease extra strength and a few drops of argan oil. Part hair twist into 2 buns.. Go to bed. Satin pillowcase no scarf. In the am ill hit the NG with a flat iron and put in hot rollers. If hair looks ok ill rock a side pony and no hot rollers. Sometimes I do Bantu knots. I never hot roll more than once per week. I usually wash every 5-6d or so.

image-1459727903.jpg

image-3857952863.jpg

I will be self relaxing for the first time in a couple of weeks. It's been almost 7 months since my last touch up so I have about 3 inches of new growth. Thanks to this thread I feel pretty comfortable. I'll be doing my hair in twists, covering the already relaxed hair with oil and conditioner, adding a mid protein step...etc. My one question though is how do you see what you are doing in the back? Do you set up two mirrors? Help!

I will be self relaxing for the first time in a couple of weeks. It's been almost 7 months since my last touch up so I have about 3 inches of new growth. Thanks to this thread I feel pretty comfortable. I'll be doing my hair in twists, covering the already relaxed hair with oil and conditioner, adding a mid protein step...etc. My one question though is how do you see what you are doing in the back? Do you set up two mirrors? Help!

Setting up two mirrors would be a good idea. You can also feel for the differences in textures. Sorry I'm not of much help since my sister relaxes the back of my hair.

What works: Protecting my previously relaxed hair with Vaseline. I have texlaxed areas in the middle of the strands that still haven't gotten straight because of it. I think it's definitely helping prevent overprocessing.

mxing oil with my relaxer left me with severely underprocessed hair.

my hair was just fine until i made my regimen complicated and added that step.

I want to relax my hair so that it's mostly straight, but not bone straight. I'm not going for the texturized look at all. So to those of you who do this, what are you looking for as you smooth your hair so that it is straight enough but not BONE straight and the hair still remains strong? I hope that makes sense.

I want to relax my hair so that it's mostly straight, but not bone straight. I'm not going for the texturized look at all. So to those of you who do this, what are you looking for as you smooth your hair so that it is straight enough but not BONE straight and the hair still remains strong? I hope that makes sense.

From what I've read on this thread, lots of people add oil to slow down the process. This can help with not making it bone straight.

From what I've read on this thread, lots of people add oil to slow down the process. This can help with not making it bone straight.

I 2nd that. Adding oil to the relaxer & not combing the relaxer in too much can help with it not relaxing too straight.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

I really want to try self relaxing (again). I haven't had a relaxer in a year and with all of the damage and breakage I've experienced from letting my now former stylist do my hair for the last 2 years, it's like I will be starting my hair journey over. When I do relax, I want to make sure that I don't do more harm than good.

Here's what I think I'm going to do:
  • do a hardcore protein treatment one week before I relax
  • section my hair and heavily coat my previously relaxed hair with shea butter
  • base my scalp really well and protect my nape, ears, and other sensitive areas with vaseline
  • apply my relaxer (Mizani BB) I want to do the half and half method due to the amount of new growth I have, but I just don't understand how it's done. I may have to just realx one side and wait a few days to relax the other :lol: or get someone to help me
  • After rinsing the relaxer out, I will do a protein step (how long should I leav the reconstructor in? 10-15 mins?) and then thoroughly neutralize
  • DC for an hour with heat, air dry, moisturize, seal, and trim
How does that sound? What should I change or add?

I 2nd that. Adding oil to the relaxer & not combing the relaxer in too much can help with it not relaxing too straight.

Thanks ladies, I understand what you're saying since I feel like I've searched this site from top to bottom about relaxing. lol I guess what I am really trying to ask is how do I know when the relaxer is properly processed enough. Some people say keep smoothing until the hair is straight and doesn't curl up? If I don't want to be bone straight what should I be looking for as I smooth?

Thanks ladies, I understand what you're saying since I feel like I've searched this site from top to bottom about relaxing. lol I guess what I am really trying to ask is how do I know when the relaxer is properly processed enough. Some people say keep smoothing until the hair is straight and doesn't curl up? If I don't want to be bone straight what should I be looking for as I smooth?

No one can answer that question for you on the board. It matters how your hair processes the relaxer.

• If in the past your hair starts to tingle before you even get to the front of your head then you need to be sure that you are organized and have everything laid out so that once you start you get it in, pull through one time and ready to rinse.
  • However if your hair is resistant to relaxers and the only way you are able to get bone straight is to do all the steps and then sit with it in your head for 10 more minutes if your end goal is not to have a bone straight your objective would be to get it in and let it sit for 5 minutes instead of full 10.
What worked for one poster may not work for you.

It also depends on the strength you are using. Using a super in the correct time works far better for me than using regular and letting it sit long. If you've been satisfied with relaxers you've gotten in the past then start there using the brand and type you already know.

Practice practice practice putting conditioner in your hair as if it was a relaxer with a stop watch. If you know your crown is the thickest part that is hard to process then start top down - (part your hair in four, apply top down section by section then smooth from the bottom up) by the time you get up to the top you should be ready to rinse it out.

I would not add oil since you've stated you do not want the texturized look.

Hope this helps.

I dont texlax but i have some texture left.... i achieve these results by basing my scalp pretty heavily and keeping the relaxer on my head a total of 25 minutes.... i smooth as normal.

Cowashed with Wen Fig tonight. This will be the last time water touches my hair until I relax on Saturday. I can't wait!

I started taking an inventory of all my relaxer supplies. I don't want to start the process and realize I'm out of something.

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App

Just finished pre-parting and oiling my hair. Taking a break. Lotta work to do, but I like knowing that I can whip right through the relaxer application. :yep:

Excited to be joining you ladies.....tomorrow I'm self relaxing!
I texturized about 4 years ago, but I didn't know what I was doing then and I'm actually shocked when I think about how I still had hair after...:ohwell:
Anyhoo, I shaved all my hair off in April this year and now I'm ready for something different again....and I semi feel like I need to experience relaxing since I've done everything else in the book.
Will update!

Where has this thread been all my life! lol. Subbing!! I'm texlaxed & I'll be giving myself a relaxer on Monday after a 17 week stretch :)

Wow! It's 1am and I'm doing a dc after taking my time self-relaxing. I LOVE being on my own schedule!

FOr the first time in my life i managed to use a relaxer correctly. I did my first touch up. I consider it a success. I contribute this success to this thread and to my sprush. I also had one section that came out as if its under process. it came out texlax like. I think I didnt smooth out that section much and I was to focus on other areas. I only did half of my head and I will be doing the other half tomorrow.....I got my other half completely wet when doing the treatment.

FOr the first time in my life i managed to use a relaxer correctly. I did my first touch up. I consider it a success. I contribute this success to this thread and to my sprush. I also had one section that came out as if its under process. it came out texlax like. I think I didnt smooth out that section much and I was to focus on other areas. I only did half of my head and I will be doing the other half tomorrow.....I got my other half completely wet when doing the treatment.

I recently got my sprushes and will test them out in 11 days. I've always used tint brushes but I've heard so many good things about the sprushes that I had to try them. I'm glad your first time flying solo was a success! Welcome to the SR world!

I used the sprush for the 1st time also, I really liked it. I didn't even need to smooth with a comb.

So I went to the BSS to price some supplies for my relaxer. I will prob end of spending about $60 initially but if everything goes according to plan, I'll come out on top plus I'll be able to start doing my own relaxers. I'll probably relax in 2 weeks. I've read and youtubed myself to death lol I just gotta do it! I'm about 56 weeks post so Im definitely going to relax one half at a time.

Thinking about throwing in the self relaxing towel. I am going to try a salon out. I am going for a consultation first though.:ohwell:

Hi all! Question...I self relaxed first time and of course I have my back two parts with lots of under proceeded roots (not even texlaxed) when is safe to re relax? Also after relaxers and neutralizing my hair is dry like brittle I do protein and weekly DC and moisturize daily
Any suggestions are really appreciated!! Ty all in advance

Back