*NEW* SELF RELAXER SUPPORT: WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN’T

Hey! Those of you who are using the applicator bottle, are you squeezing out a line then smoothing it down then moving on to the next section? If not tell me how. I really want to try it.

Thanks in advance

^^^^ Good morning, blackberry815! I typically do an Aphogee 2-step hard protein treatment approx 1 week prior to relaxing and I don't have issues with tangles. This particular treatment is very liquidy, and there really isn't any manipulation of new growth required to apply. I self-relax very 8-10 weeks. Hope this helps! Happy hair growing! :yep:

I deep condish afterward with a moisturizing treatment and then pretty much wet-bun/air dry until I relax. The protein treatment is a strong one and my hair needs lots of TLC with deep moisturization afterward. Plus, since I'm prepping for relaxer by doing the protein treatment, I don't do roller setting b/c want to protect my scalp as much as possible.

WendellaWoody said:
I deep condish afterward with a moisturizing treatment and then pretty much wet-bun/air dry until I relax. The protein treatment is a strong one and my hair needs lots of TLC with deep moisturization afterward. Plus, since I'm prepping for relaxer by doing the protein treatment, I don't do roller setting b/c want to protect my scalp as much as possible.

I find that when I air dry my its harder to part through my roots when its time to get the relaxer in. WendellaWoody

I make sure to detangle my hair well, and put lots of coconut oil on my hair prior to drying it. That way I get the bun as smooth as possible, making it straighter once dry...

does anyone experience issues with their relaxer "taking" when they've used excessive oil in their hair? Do you have a "cutoff" date for - no more oil until post relaxer?

does anyone experience issues with their relaxer "taking" when they've used excessive oil in their hair? Do you have a "cutoff" date for - no more oil until post relaxer?

I usually clarify 3 days prior to relaxing. After that, I am very light with my moisturizer/oil application on my newgrowth. I pretty much don't apply anything directly to it. I want my hair as straight as possible when I relax.

Now I do apply moisturizer/oil to the previously relaxed hair to protect against re-processing.

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App

I'm prepping to relax today! hair in sections - plan to protect my hair by putting some oil followed by porosity control on my already relaxed hair, then relax with mizani sensitive scalp mild, mid step moisture & porosity corrector, shampoo and ultra deep condition! I'm pretty sure I'll be rollersetting after all of that. Wish me luck!

After lurking for so long maybe today is the day to post my first "official" LHCF length pic!:yep:

Do you guys believe in corrective relaxers. I have been relaxing my hair and it's so many diffrent textures. I am scared I might have to retreat back to the salon but I really want to learn to do my own hair. My next relaxer day is Dec. My ends are still curly and the rest of my hair is straight somewhat. Some straighter than others and it's so annoying. It's not easy to manage and my ends look horriable when dry and manipulated. It looks like a mini afro. It's not damaged at all. I need help should I do my own corrective relaxer and how do I do it? Or should I go to a salon. I don't use heat in my hair and I am trying not to and I know a salon will. I also only keep the relaxer in for five to eight minutes after I apply it. I just want sleek and smooth hair that is flat. I used to be natural and now I am not. Should I have went to the salon to get my first relaxer done? Here is the relaxer that I use Dark and Lovely Healthy-Gloss (5) Shea Moisture Relaxer W/ cashmere touch. Can you ladies help me to be successful on my next relaxer so the whole head can me straight, smooth, and healthy. Thanks

Growingmyhairlong - I don't believe in corrective relaxers, but that doesn't mean they can't be done safely.

I think a few of the ladies around here wait until at least 2 weeks post before attempting. I would recommend waiting at least 6 weeks if you can.

Since you've already self-relaxed, don't beat yourself up about what you should've done. It'll be ok. If you have a trusted stylist, go to a salon for your corrective, but be sure to let her know what you have already done and what you want to achieve.

Do you guys believe in corrective relaxers. I have been relaxing my hair and it's so many diffrent textures. I am scared I might have to retreat back to the salon but I really want to learn to do my own hair. My next relaxer day is Dec. My ends are still curly and the rest of my hair is straight somewhat. Some straighter than others and it's so annoying. It's not easy to manage and my ends look horriable when dry and manipulated. It looks like a mini afro. It's not damaged at all. I need help should I do my own corrective relaxer and how do I do it? Or should I go to a salon. I don't use heat in my hair and I am trying not to and I know a salon will. I also only keep the relaxer in for five to eight minutes after I apply it. I just want sleek and smooth hair that is flat. I used to be natural and now I am not. Should I have went to the salon to get my first relaxer done? Here is the relaxer that I use Dark and Lovely Healthy-Gloss (5) Shea Moisture Relaxer W/ cashmere touch. Can you ladies help me to be successful on my next relaxer so the whole head can me straight, smooth, and healthy. Thanks
@ Growingmyhairlong
I self relaxed after 23 months natural. I used African Pride no lye, and I tried to do it all at once instead of half and half. I really underestimated how much hair I had and that I'd have to relaxed the entire strand. As a result, I end up under processed in a lot of areas, curly ends and straight areas.

After tons of research, I decided to do a corrective 10 days later with silk elements Shea butter lye. My hair came out beautiful! No breakage or damaged. Previously, I had relaxed my hair in quadrants and the last quadrant I did was the most under processed. So that's the quadrant I started with first. I also made sure I applied relaxer to my ends first and I smoothed really well. I used the half and half method and rinsed relaxer, mid protein step with aphogee 2 min for 10 mins, neutralized 3 times for 10 mins each, ORS replenishing deep conditioner, roux porosity control, then partially air dried and M&S with elastic qp mango mixed with hemp seed oil.

I prepped my hair for the corrective 3 days ahead by chelating with Quantum, then protein conditioner with aphogee 2 minute then moisture DC with mane n tail deep moisturizing conditioner.

Hth let me know if you need more info.

@ Growingmyhairlong
I self relaxed after 23 months natural. I used African Pride no lye, and I tried to do it all at once instead of half and half. I really underestimated how much hair I had and that I'd have to relaxed the entire strand. As a result, I end up under processed in a lot of areas, curly ends and straight areas.

After tons of research, I decided to do a corrective 10 days later with silk elements Shea butter lye. My hair came out beautiful! No breakage or damaged. Previously, I had relaxed my hair in quadrants and the last quadrant I did was the most under processed. So that's the quadrant I started with first. I also made sure I applied relaxer to my ends first and I smoothed really well. I used the half and half method and rinsed relaxer, mid protein step with aphogee 2 min for 10 mins, neutralized 3 times for 10 mins each, ORS replenishing deep conditioner, roux porosity control, then partially air dried and M&S with elastic qp mango mixed with hemp seed oil.

I prepped my hair for the corrective 3 days ahead by chelating with Quantum, then protein conditioner with aphogee 2 minute then moisture DC with mane n tail deep moisturizing conditioner.

Hth let me know if you need more info.

Thanks, I will try that. How long did you leave the relaxer in on your corrective?

i tried the half/half method today and it went very well! i will be sticking with this method for now on. i was able to relax and not have to rush. each section was given 15mins total. (i set a timer) the only thing i didn't care to much for was getting in and out of the shower. i was so scared of wetting the other half that when i got out, i still had some relaxer left. so i finished rinsing and neutralizing in the sink.

i use Mizani Butter Blends medium.

I still use avc but rather than using it twice or three times I only use it once....because lately I'm coming out under processed.

I'm currently 10 weeks post and want to relax at 12 weeks post. I've tried self-relaxing in the past and both times were big failures, really under-processed. I'm thinking of taking another stab at it. My stylist is really expensive and just not as gentle with my hair as i would be. She's been using Mizani Butter Blends Lye on me for the past year. I think i want to stick with lye.

I went to my local bss and they have Mizani BB for sale but the container is so big. Not sure i want to commit to that much relaxer. They also had design essentials, optimum reduced pH, Hawaiian silky, creme of nature, AE Lineage shea butter - i'm leaning towards this one since i've seen good things about this brand.

Are there any of you ladies that self-relax using a lye relaxer - which one do you use?

Sent from my device at Hogwarts using LHCF

Last edited:
beloved1bx said:
I'm currently 10 weeks post and want to relax at 12 weeks post. I've tried self-relaxing in the past and both times were big failures, really under-processed. I'm thinking of taking another stab at it. My stylist is really expensive and just not as gentle with my hair as i would be. She's been using Mizani Butter Blends Lye on me for the past year. I think i want to stick with lye.

I went to my local bss and they have Mizani BB for sale but the container is so big. Not sure i want to commit to that much relaxer. They also had design essentials, optimum reduced pH, Hawaiian silky, creme of nature, AE Lineage shea butter - i'm leaning towards this one since i've seen good things about this brand.

Are there any of you ladie that self-relax using a lye relaxer - which one do you use?

I'm a self-relaxer from way back. Switched from Optimum lye to Mizani BB no lye (by accident-didn't know how to tell the difference) to Mizani BB Lye-loved Optimum but switched because Sally's quit selling it. Lye is easier on the hair, harder on the scalp...No lye is harder on the hair but easier on the scalp. Either will burn the tar out of you and/or over process your hair if you're not careful. I love the MBB as much as I loved the Opt. Good luck.

I'm a self-relaxer from way back. Switched from Optimum lye to Mizani BB no lye (by accident-didn't know how to tell the difference) to Mizani BB Lye-loved Optimum but switched because Sally's quit selling it. Lye is easier on the hair, harder on the scalp...No lye is harder on the hair but easier on the scalp. Either will burn the tar out of you and/or over process your hair if you're not careful. I love the MBB as much as I loved the Opt. Good luck.

Thanks for ur imput. For years i went to the Dominican salons and they used a no-lye relaxer on my hair. But i think that dried out my hair over time even after i discovered chelating shampoos. That's kind of why i want to stick with lye. Def will base my scalp thoroughly. I also bought a sprush. I've read good reviews on it.

Self Relaxed today for the first time.... VERY HAPPY with my results... my fine hair was very strong after the relaxer treatment.... Was not underprocessed, but have a little texture left... againstallodds thanks for the encouragement.... Appreciate it.

BTW I relaxed at 8 weeks post--- My hair is too kinky and too fine to stretch for longer.

PRODUCTS:
Base - Summit Scalp mixed with mineral oil (baby oil) so it would flow out of an applicator bottle much easier

Hair protectant - Mizani honey shield mixed half/half with Roux PC

Relaxer - Optimum Care Antibreakage No-Lye in Normal

Neutralizer - Mizani Balancing Bath

Mid Protein - Aphogee 2 minute

DC - Optimum DC Masque in the packet

Others - Green Sprush, salon cape for my back, hair pins and sectioning clips, plastic ear protector (like plastic hair cap but a lot smaller), plastic hair cap.

PROCESS:
1. Sectioned my hair into 4
2. Preparted each section into 8 1-inch slices (32 slices total) - protected ends of each, twisted, and secured with small hair pin/clip
3. Lifted each slice, and applied base to my scalp, nape, forehead etc
4. Applied coconut oil to my ENITRE NAPE and EDGES (new growth included) - to intentionally underprocess those areas since they are so fragile.

5. Applied relaxer to each section, excluding my nape and edges - 4 sections took me 14 minutes

6. @ the 15 minutes mark, applied relaxer to nape and edges

7. Lifted each slice again, smoothed with green sprush, took out hair clip, and undid twist... Total relaxer time 25 minutes.

8. Rinsed for 5 - 7 minutes

9. Applied Aphogee 2 minute for 15 minutes

10. Rinsed, Neutralized 5 times

11. Applied DC - Sat for 1 hr without heat.

12. Air Dried, Trimmed ends, Moisturized and sealed

Perfect results.... Will edit thread later to add pictures.. (lazy... lol.... nothing fancy tho.. just airdried hair)..... Love the Optimum DC too... Will make it a staple after trying it a few more times.

i say if you like mizani BB and it works well then you should just buy the big container. in my neighborhood ORS big tub is $28ish dollars i think. and i know mizani BB is more expensive ... 35ish?? i say stick with what you know if its working well and if you end up not relaxing urself again you could bring it to your hairdresser for them to use and maybe they'll deduct $10 off ur bill. Or keep it clean and try to sell it on here, lol. Also, as a self relaxer i realized that even with a touch up i tend to use more product than the stylist would.

Self Relaxed today for the first time.... VERY HAPPY with my results... my fine hair was very strong after the relaxer treatment.... Was not underprocessed, but have a little texture left... againstallodds thanks for the encouragement.... Appreciate it.

judy4all I'm glad to hear the process went well!! Can't wait to see the results! I've been reading great things about the Optimum Deep Conditioning Masque. The PJ in me wants to try asap.

Back