*NEW* SELF RELAXER SUPPORT: WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN’T

Hey ladies. For those of you who do the mid-protein step, do any of y'all use natural/organic products like Curl Junkie's repair me or shescentit's Okra something or other? Just wondering. Do you think it even makes a difference vs using Aphogee 2 min? I just like those natural products better and wanted some experiences or opinions before I try it out.

Thanks in advance...

Hi all I'm a semi-lurker. I've been on the stretching threads and self relax threads because I'm a lazy self relaxer. I (unintentionally) stretched for 6mo. I was going for 16wks but got too busy. Maintained with weekly cowash (hair-one) blowdry and flatiron NG. Also been experimenting with Moroccan henna/indigo 2wk ago. Relaxed with optimum care regular. Based my edges with petroleum jelly, applied the end protector (came with kit.. Looks like conditioner). I did 4 quadrants, total time 20 min. I then rinsed applied aphogee 2min for 5min, neutralized twice, aphogee 2min again for 5 min then porosity control for 1 min. I applied frizz ease extra strength mixed with davines relaxing fluid (drugstore.com) to damp hair, blew dry, put in hot rollers. This am (day2). I'm a little under processed (but I didn't burn like I usually do). I think henna makes your hair a little resistant but it feels super strong and not fragile like it usually does after a relaxer. Also I think cowashing makes my scalp happy so it can withstand the relaxer.

image-1664039224.jpg

I haven't cut or trimmed in 6 mo. My ends are kinda thin. I probably should whack a few inches off. I don't really have a length goal as long as its healthy and not breaking. I never go to the salon just hair cuttery for a dry cut every now and then.

Last edited:
Update went to Haircuttery and got a "trim" which was about 3in. I didn't want to save straggly ends to save length. I think it looks better: thicker and healthier. It kinda felt like a setback to cut so much off. I probably lost some length stretching and battling NG. I'm probably going to start keeping a log and relax again in 12-16 weeks.

image-2095980862.jpg

Attachments

• image-2582301631.jpg
    image-2582301631.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 119
317537 said:
Update went to Haircuttery and got a "trim" which was about 3in. I didn't want to save straggly ends to save length. I think it looks better: thicker and healthier. It kinda felt like a setback to cut so much off. I probably lost some length stretching and battling NG. I'm probably going to start keeping a log and relax again in 12-16 weeks.

Still so pretty.

317537 your hair is gorgeous! :drool:

I have some questions for anyone.

is it bad that I wanna use my fingers to relax, w/o gloves? :look: I use the sprush and I've practiced with deep conditioner a few times now, but I always end up switching from the sprush to my fingers. My fingers are just more precise.

sharifeh I use to use the sprush but I couldnt feel if I was getting the relaxer on there good so I use my fingures now. I use one glove on the hand that applies it so my nail wont turn colors.

4b9f2a8238c411e284fa22000a1f9c87_7.jpg

Picture of my hair 14 weeks post... Hair was previously Rollerset and flat-ironed, I will not say how many weeks post wash I was, LMAO... :sad:

I have been struggling wit the idea of going natural, watched a couple of video's and decided it wasn't for me, so I decided to just relax every Season per @Lucie... Like I can deal with that...

So just TODAY, well about 3 hours ago I textlaxed...

What have you tried that you KNOW works:

Not washing hair for two weeks... If I wash sooner my scalp will burn no matter what... Also make sure to base scalp ALL over, which never did, except today...

What will you never do again because you know it DOES NOT work:

See Above

Please include examples of things you believe in, include specific techniques.

Added about 3 tbsp of Grapeseed Oil to perm ( gave me more time to apply to entire head without burning)
Basing Scalp
Perming in four sections
Starting in back
Applying perm or whateva to edges LAST in that section
Basing ends
Wearing Latex gloves... I was able to feel hair sections better
I washed out the texurizer with the isoplus shampoo 2x. Hair was kinda hard at this point/brittle, so washed with Affirm 5n1 2x, hair got softer, but still didnt feel right
then followed that with Porosity Control which resolved those issues
Right now Deep conditioning with a shea butter con, same line as Texturizer

Even add new techniques you have tried and NOT trying in the future.

I have tried to section in past and then clip, but I found that it was taking longer than just sectioning with end tail of applicator brush... The clips would be tangle up wit hair so had to resolve that many a times, which added to time... :perplexed...

HHJ Ladies!

I love my results and will post finish result in am...

Last edited:
I'm 16 weeks post right now and will be relaxing on 12/21...if the world doesn't end lol. I picked up some good tips in here. I'll definitely be getting a sprush and Roux PC as well as some other products used in here. My mom's smoothing technique needs some work so I learned a lot from here. I'm sure the lack of a lot of smoothing is the cause for being underprocessed and not the relaxer itself.

I'm 21wks post and I can't take it anymore! So I'm relaxing next week @22wks post. Since I have some color treated NG I'm going to try Silk Elements shea butter mild relaxer. Got to pick up porosity control, some type of reconstructor and a moisturizing DC all from Sallys which sucks because I had certain stuff I wanted to get this time around. I originally was trying to wait until february but after I clarified and did my protein treatment on Tuesday my NG started acting out! So bump it. My next ouch up I will make sure not to wait til the last minute and be prepared just in case my plans and my hairs plans don't match up!

ETA: I want to cowash my hair about 3 days before I relax do you think I could use porosity control at that wash or just wait til the day of my relaxer?

Last edited:
my hair feels really strong. for the first time in awhile i didnt get any shedding or breakage after my touchup. i did a hardcore protein treatment the day before i relaxed. i usually do it after or a week before but i was anxious. i will start doing this now.

I'm only 3 weeks post right now but I already feel some new growth:) won't be touching up till Feb 10th (the day before my birthday) @12 weeks post

I will be 26 weeks post on Saturday. I'm trying to hold out for another week so my hair will be freshly done when I visit my family for Christmas.

I'm going to use Linange, which I have been using for about 2.5 years. I plan do do a protein treatment with Emergencee a few days before. Also, I plan to do a mid-relxaer protein step (not sure what protein treatment) as well as a mid-relxaer ceramide step with Biolage Cera-Repair.

Glad the twists are working for ya'll!

They are a bit cumbersome to put in, but the fact that you can hustle putting the relaxer in makes it all worth it.

Having plenty of smoothing time is the key for me not to end up with under-processed hair. :yep:

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

Does anyone use the half and half method but does Not have a shower attachment thingy? (Yall know what I mean:grin:) I think I got the second half wet last time and that made me burn. I did the front first leaning into the tub with my head upside down. Any suggestions or do I just need to go but one before I try this again.

Does anyone use the half and half method but does Not have a shower attachment thingy? (Yall know what I mean:grin:) I think I got the second half wet last time and that made me burn. I did the front first leaning into the tub with my head upside down. Any suggestions or do I just need to go but one before I try this again.

Good question. I always wondered how people were doing the half and half method without getting the hair without a relaxer wet when rinsing even if it's covered with a bag.

View attachment 178981

Looking good... even with the cut.... I really like the Optimum Care Regular... My hair felt very strong unlike any other relaxer experience...

I have a very kinky 4z natural texture... and usually cant go past 8 weeks... However, since I started using ORS Penetrating as my DC, my NG is much softer... I may be able to push it to 10 weeks without suffering any breakage....

Can you share your reggie?... My goal for next yr is to keep it as simple as possible....

I was thinking to just do it in separate days, or the back in the night, and then the front the next morning. Even with the attachment the other half gets a lil wet.

Also I would grease the halfway line excessively b4 the other application b/c when u rinsed out the first half u also cleared ur scalp of a layer of dead skin and oils which protects u from burning.

Babygrowth said:
Hey! Those of you who are using the applicator bottle, are you squeezing out a line then smoothing it down then moving on to the next section? If not tell me how. I really want to try it.

Thanks in advance

That is such a smart idea!! I love this board and must try that. I'm no help but I would assume that they must partially smooth before moving on.

Hey ladies. For those of you who do the mid-protein step, do any of y'all use natural/organic products like Curl Junkie's repair me or shescentit's Okra something or other? Just wondering. Do you think it even makes a difference vs using Aphogee 2 min? I just like those natural products better and wanted some experiences or opinions before I try it out.

Thanks in advance...

@Babygrowth

I use Aphogee 2 minute... I too prefer natural conditioners... and aphogee is not bad at all ingredient wise + I know the chemical composition is on point and will do the job.... With a chemical service like a relaxer, I feel it's best to use products that you are sure will work (and make that your priority instead of natural products) because applying chemicals wrongly can really screw up your hair.... I figure if I'm using natural products every week, and others only on relaxer day, then Im not doing so bad.

I never do the half/half.... Too much shower time (rinsing for 7 minutes, protein for 10 minutes and neutralizing 7 times... I cant do it twice...) I much prefer to dilute my relaxer with a little oil to buy me a little more time if I need it... however, ive not needed to... simply basing my entire scalp, preparting and applying/smoothing for 25minutes have given me the results I like.

Hit it with ur blow dryer on cool air and re base before u relax that side... don't put the relaxer on ur wet hair... I used to do that til I got this tip from my cosmetology teacher.... so simple yet I hadn't thought of it before she said it lol

Back