Faster Relaxer!!!(This is for Self relaxers)

CheerBear

Ok ladies, for future reference..how do you minimize the amount of time it takes to apply your relaxers? What is your relaxing method start to finish??Thanks so much!

I wouldn't think you'd want to minimize the amount of time to apply a relaxer. IMO, it's important to take your time and apply the relaxer very carefully, timing it according to the directions as well as according to your hair and scalp. I never rush through relaxer applying, or see how fast I can do it, if that's what you mean.

I do relax my hair in sections to make sure I do a thorough job. And I only leave it on for about 10 minutes which seems to texturized my hair rather than relax it straight. It will burn bad if I leave it on one minute longer.

I believe the key is to do the major prep before. I burn very easily so I need to get in on quickly so it has more time to process. I made a post on this a month or ago. Do a search for my posts. Hope I can help.

Jo.

I just relaxed my hair over the weekend. The key like Joe emerald said is major prep. I divide my hair in top and bottom half's. I did the top half on saturday and the bottom on Sunday. I sectioned each half into 12 before relaxing and made sure it was properly detangled. That meant I was able to get all the relaxer in and smooth through 3 times in 18 minutes for each section. Normally my realaxer application whoever does it takes at least 30 minutes. I think next time I can cut it down to 10 minutes. My hair got totally straight with 18 minutes and with 30 without prep it gets wavy.

CheerBear,

What helps me move along more quickly is using the hospital type gloves on my hands and using my fingers to part my hair instead of a comb.

Thanks all! Isis, I didnt wanna rush through, but whenever I apply a relaxer whether it is on my own hair or someone elses, it takes me about 40 minutes to finish it..way too long in my opinion for it to be on the hair without causing damage! So along with me learning how to move more quickly, I was just seeing what others do to get the hair done without overprocessing

Isis, how do you relax your hair in sections?? If you have to wash it out how do you keep the other sections from getting wet? And what brand do you use?

[ QUOTE ]
CheerBear said:
Thanks all! Isis, I didnt wanna rush through, but whenever I apply a relaxer whether it is on my own hair or someone elses, it takes me about 40 minutes to finish it..way too long in my opinion for it to be on the hair without causing damage! So along with me learning how to move more quickly, I was just seeing what others do to get the hair done without overprocessing

[/ QUOTE ]

It can take me way too long also, that's why I do it in sections. When I said I take my time, I know I only have a limited amount of time to apply and smooth it - 10 min. for me! I work with a smaller section at a time so I have more "time" to concentrate on that area. I understand now what you mean CheerBear.
smile.gif

Blackdiamond - I'm typing up a reply for you.

[ QUOTE ]
blackdiamond said:
Isis, how do you relax your hair in sections?? If you have to wash it out how do you keep the other sections from getting wet? And what brand do you use?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a little more time-consuming than relaxing all my hair at once, but since I'm doing it myself, I don't mind. It gives me more "time" to focus and get through my hair without any stressing.

After basing my scalp and protecting the relaxed part of my hair with oils, I divide my hair into about 3 sections horizontally, pinning them up and covering the hair I'm not ready to relax yet with a plastic cap to keep it dry. I start with the bottom (next time I'm not doing my nape area though so it can recover from scarf breakage) and part that into several sections for easy access to the roots. After my application and smoothing, I get under the shower, rinse that area well, apply neutralizer shampoo a few times(according to the directions the suds turn from pink into white when hair is neutralized.) and rinse very well again. Then I protect my newly relaxed roots and hair with oils again and make one or two bantu knots, securing it with hair pins.

I cover my newly relaxed section by pinning a plastic cap over it and around it, basing the roots well.

I now start with the next section higher up, placing a plastic cap on the uppermost section to keep it dry. I repeat the same process. When done and rinsed well, this goes into a bantu knot(s) also, with another plastic cap tightly secured over it with hair pins.

Then I do the top part taking care to do the hairline last.

After rinsing off the neutralizing shampoo, I remove the caps, undo all the bantu knots and add more neutralizing shampoo to all of my hair at once, giving it one last washing with that shampoo, just in case there's any residual relaxer somewhere. It also washes out the oils I put back on my relaxed hair. I continue with the rest of my hair regimen which includes deep conditioning with a moisturizing conditioner (Humectress).

I hope I didn't leave anything out Blackdiamond. If I had a handheld shower attachment, it may be even easier to do. My shower head is a directional one so that helps. I can adjust it so it targets a particular area of my head. I use Gentle Treatment relaxer.

I just relaxed my hair over the weekend.

I based my scalp & hair with EVOO and twisted my hair into sections so I can start with the 'hard-to-relax' section first. I waited about 2 hours for it to 'sink in':bookworm: .

Then I prepared the relaxer and added amla, coconut and olive oils to the relaxer & mixed well.

Then I took my time and went through each section (with bare hands- I usually wear gloves though) and becasue of the oils, I could honestly take my time and smooth my hair after application of the relaxer:antlers: .
AND I DIDN"T BURN:yay: !!!!

After I rinsed I deep conditioned (adding the 3 oils here too) before neutralizing.:bath2:

My hair turned out really nice, smooth and well conditioned.:weird:

(As some of you can tell, I have been reading & studying the threads here!:fan: )

So now I think it's the prepping, not so much the perm & the key is basing (sp)- it gives you more control of the processing time.:rosebud:

Back