New *2011* Transitioners Support Thread!

Ladies, tonight I finally tried to do some cornrows for the first time EVER.

I always thought that I couldn't do them but after looking a few YouTube videos from some LHCF gurus, I think I have the basics down.

The key was putting the "middle" part up and then alternating putting the right/left parts under and repeating.

Oh make no mistake, they still look raggedy :lol: but they will do for my braidouts (instead of just doing single braids). I'll keep practicing to get better.

But the fact that I my hair to resemble cornrows for a first try is encouraging. :yep:

Finewine, braidouts and roller sets (rods and curlformers) are working well for me during my transition. I'm just about almost 3 months.

I'm still here! I have fell off with taking care of my hair since I had the baby earlier this month! I'm trying 2 get back in the swing of things. My hair is extremely dry! I will dc and co wash tomorrow! i am 28wks post as of last sat!

COurtkneee that's 20 months of growth..? Your hair is beautiful.. When I saw the 1st pic I was like that is a cute wig then I kept reading..lol Hope you don't take that in the wrong way.. I would love to have that amount of growh at 20 months.. It doesn't look like you have major shrinkage.. I love big hair..</p>

Last edited:
Not sure what week..

Not sure I care..

No roller set this week. just couldnt get it together to put all those dang rollers in my head.

Instead I have a bootleg struggle pony and a little hump going on to the front..

sigh. I just want this transition to end..

and even when I end It I still have to figure out cute ways to wear my hair....

this is not a good week....

COurtkneee that's 20 months of growth..? Your hair is beautiful.. When I saw the 1st pic I was like that is a cute wig then I kept reading..lol Hope you don't take that in the wrong way.. I would love to have that amount of growh at 20 months.. It doesn't look like you have major shrinkage.. I love big hair..</p>

lol, i totally understand what you meant. it`s funny because i actually got "wig-checked" the other day. thanks so much for the compliment. your hair looks great as well! :] HHG!

ok... I feel better about my hair now..
still not at its cutest but I will say that braiding it over night helps with the manageability and I do think it is healthy so thats a plus.. :)

in my 26th week.

I love these 2 ladies at my work place.. but i'm going to need to avoid them throughout this transition where possible.
1. is a hair growth enthusiast but she thinks natural hair isnt appropriate for the work place .....sigh

2. keeps telling me to bc and then texturised.

I generally dont respond to the comments... but I dont want my patience to run out....

I had to look for this post.. Its so funny to me...

I spoke to these two ladies yesterday...

1. the hair growth enthusiast is thinking about going natural... and keeping it in braids so she can relax again.. (I had no comments)

2. is really encouraging telling me my hair seems to have grown well and I am looking cute with my 'hard' hair ( I was encouraged but still I have no comments)

lol

^^^That's too funny.

I have a lot of women on the floors where I work and a lot of them are going natural or already natural so I'm happy not to have that hateration at work.

But that's too ironic. :lol:

I had to look for this post.. Its so funny to me...

I spoke to these two ladies yesterday...

1. the hair growth enthusiast is thinking about going natural... and keeping it in braids so she can relax again.. (I had no comments)

2. is really encouraging telling me my hair seems to have grown well and I am looking cute with my 'hard' hair ( I was encouraged but still I have no comments)

lol

I had to reread the comments these people made. Still, I can't make sense of it. I'm just KIM. Do your thing and that's the only thing that matters.

I'm still rolling along. Next week, I will be a year post!!! Party over here. How do I celebrate???? This is a really big deal. I had perms in my head since I was thirteen. I don't remember my hair texture was then. I'm enjoying the ups and downs of this process.

I'm exactly 10 months and 4 weeks post. 4 weeks and 4 days to go.

I've been following a CG-ish routine, and yesterday I decided to try an oil rinse. I loved it. My hair detangled like a dream, and I didn't even need to add a moisturizer after my hair dried. This was friggin' awesome because I usually break lots of hair trying to moisturize and style it. I slapped on some gel and wet-bunned without having to pull and fight like I usually do. Today, my hair is still super shiny, soft and smooth. My choirboys are making little clumps and micro-curls instead of frizzing everywhere.

My goal for the next few weeks is to develop a modified-CG routine, using Dr. Bronner's peppermint as shampoo. I want to get my routine as simple and effective as possible.

Anyway... I'm excited. I can't wait to chop.

:lol: Yall I'm quitting! I get SO bored with my hair!

Once I get these braids out in the next month or 2, it's a wrap! Even the damn braids get on my nerves!

I had an "a-ha moment" couple weeks ago and it totally changed the way I feel about my hair and this site as a whole. As a result, I gave away half my stash and I plan to cut AND relax.

Good luck transitioning everyone!!!

Hello All! Today is my one year anniversary - 1 year relaxer free. I have been transitioning doing Domician blow outs every two weeks. That has made it easy for me so I haven't had any horror stories. The salon I go to the owner encourages her clients to go natural so their very patient with the two textures. I don't have a goal, just gradually trimming my relaxed ends away. My hair is cut in a layered inverted bob. The back is shorter and has no relaxed hair left. The top and sides have a about 5 - 7 inches left.

Hey Ladies,

Even with my DCs, my hair was really dry. This week, I did a DC with AO GPB so maybe it was the protein. IDK.

But for my leave-in, I put in some modified KCKT (half the oils) and my roots really loved it. Made it much easier for me.

Dizz I maybe need to try an oil rinse because my hair tends to be very dry.

And I'm getting better with the cornrows, ya'll! :lol: It's making my braid-outs not so skinny and anemic. Last night, I did four cornrows (two side and two back).

Here are the results. My relaxed ends are thin but I'm holding on to them until I get can some more length. I'm been monitoring them, they are OK so far, no split-ends. I'll probably still get a trim when I press in late May.

2011-04-30100927.jpg

I'm going to the Natural Hair Show today with a friend so this is how I'm wearing my hair. I hope my inner PJ doesn't come out too bad.

Hey Guys! Foxglove lead me here. I am a new transitioner and thought I would come join in. I am 3 months post and excited.

1. How far into the transition are you? 3 months
2. What's your transition goal? BC in 2 years or shoulder length unstretched.

I'm so excited to go on this journey with ya'll!! :yep:

Newbie2Beauty You and I are about the same time frame. I'm also about 3 months.

Read your other post in the Hair forum and I'm so glad that you are instilling in your daughter the beauty of natural hair.

We'll have to swap tips!

Good luck on your journey.
:)

Hello everyone, I'm new to the board and I need help!!! I haven't had a perm since Feb. 22, 2011 and my new growth has been very dry. I just started deep conditioning every two weeks. Any suggestions? I've come to far to turn around :)

Pisceanprincess What has helped me the most is oiling my scalp with a mix of Jojoba/Castor Oil. I usually do this when my hair feels dry -- usually 2x to 3x a week.

Also I learned that DCing on dry hair before I wash has helped me keep my moisture as well. I love using Aubrey Organics White Camilla. It's the ISH.

This past week, I did an oil rinse with Olive Oil. I saturated my hair with the oil went to exercise/sauna and then came back and rinsed out. Then co-washed and I LOVED the results.

For my leave-in, I'm using the KCKT mix or Giovanni Direct Leave-In with the jojoba/castor oil mix.

HTH!

WriterGirl and Pisceanprincess wow we are all about the same time frame!! I am too excited! Thanks so much Writergirl for the support. I am on a mission now as you can see from my other post lol! OMG I see you are using castor oil. I just ordered some for the first time. It was recommended by someone on youtube who is a long term transitioner and her hair is doing awesome! Her name is alodia80 on Youtube. She also recommends dcing on hair before washing. I haven't tried it but will on wash day. I'll let ya'll know how it worked out for me. Here is a link to her video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkZFLTymo34 And I use KCKT Also as a leave in LOL!! It works wonders for when I get tangles between the two textures. I'm so excited to meet ya'll! WE CAN DO THIS!!

So I had a failed twist and curl today.. :(

But I dint let that panic me.. and I have done a humb with a little roll thingy at the back.. I took my time and that is what mattered.

and to my surprise I am getting some compliments... :)

Back