New *2011* Transitioners Support Thread!

A texture shot of my braidout I did last night. I used 12 braids. My relaxed hair is SO thin so the braid out is a little tighter than I would like so I will probably do 6 braids for a looser/wavier braidout next time.

Put in Giovanni Direct Leave-in throughout the hair and used Garnier Sleek and Shine Leave-in Conditioning Creme and water to braid and seal the ends.

2011-04-11110339.jpg

WriterGirl - How did you like the Giovanni Direct? I tried it and I don't think it agreed with my hair. Did you you use it full strength, diluted? Oh and what's your hair type? Maybe it's not for my hair type. And lastly, how much did you use? Maybe I used too much...

TIA

Hairness I probably used maybe a dime size for each of my four sections. I concentrate mostly on the roots and ends. I like it so far but I'm still grazing for products that work with my hair.

It'll be a lot of trial and error this year! :spinning:

I'm a 4b mostly. My hair is dry and cottony with no curl pattern.

WriterGirl - thanks for responding! I definitely used too much...it's so thick I didn't feel like it was getting to all of my hair....then, I had to squeeze it out of my hair and wipe the excess on a paper towel....AND it left my hair white! :nono: I wasn't a happy camper. I'll try it again using a dime size amount for each section.

Also, we have the same kind of hair!...I think...I never heard of this hair-typing stuff until I got to LHCF....but I'm pretty sure I have 4b hair. I have cottony, fluffy hair with no curlies. I have some S and Z patterns and the only way it curls all the way around is if it's really short and I don't comb it. When it's combed, it a nice fluffy cloud. :yep:

HHG!

Hairness Oh yeah. A little goes a LONG way. It will turn white on you for sure. I noticed this also with Kinky Curly Knot Today as well. I think I still have too much relaxed hair for it to make an impact. But just like the Giovanni, it keep the roots nice.

Next I want to try Jane Carter's Nourish and Shine. I'm finding the more moisturized my NG and hair is the better it does. I have really DRY hair.

Missi Me and you are about at the same timeframe. :yep:

@Hairness Oh yeah. A little goes a LONG way. It will turn white on you for sure. I noticed this also with Kinky Curly Knot Today as well. I think I still have too much relaxed hair for it to make an impact. But just like the Giovanni, it keep the roots nice.

Next I want to try Jane Carter's Nourish and Shine. I'm finding the more moisturized my NG and hair is the better it does. I have really DRY hair.

@Missi Me and you are about at the same timeframe. :yep:

I use JC N&S. It's very good. It also gives the hair a nice sheen. I'd like to have my hair fully moisturized right after I wash it. It usually takes a few days for it to stop feeling dry...maybe I'm not putting enough product on...IDK, it starts off soft and moisturized and when I wake up in the moring, it's dry and dull. If you (or anyone else) has any ideas, please let me know.

TIA
HHG

Last edited:
i'm nervous...even though I'm texlaxed and I have stretched for 6 months before...i transitioning to natural for the long run. I guess i'm nervous for in 2 or 3 years when i'm completely APL natural....that I had wished I would have done this yrs ago...back in 06 when I discovered this forum.

Sigh.. I still have that scissors itch.

My roller set lasts about 3 days before my roots are fully reverted and about 5 before I really need to stretch my new growth before it gets too compacted and out of hand..

The thing stoping me right now is I'm not sure what I would be doing with 2-3 inches of hair in turns of styling. I'm thinking a twistout wouldn be that cute and I'm between minds about my long face and a twa...

i'm nervous...even though I'm texlaxed and I have stretched for 6 months before...i transitioning to natural for the long run. I guess i'm nervous for in 2 or 3 years when i'm completely APL natural....that I had wished I would have done this yrs ago...back in 06 when I discovered this forum.

You'll be fine.

Sigh.. I still have that scissors itch.

My roller set lasts about 3 days before my roots are fully reverted and about 5 before I really need to stretch my new growth before it gets too compacted and out of hand..

The thing stoping me right now is I'm not sure what I would be doing with 2-3 inches of hair in turns of styling. I'm thinking a twistout wouldn be that cute and I'm between minds about my long face and a twa...

If the itch is that bad, you might have to scratch. You can always rock a wig, if boredom hits. Spring and Summer are good seasons to rock a twa because you can moisturize daily and let it be.

Support's here.

On a side note, my hair has been feeling moisturized like it's going out of style lately. I have to thank Oyin Handmade. Their products are (wait, I'm aging myself) the bomb! :lachen:

I'm 6 months post (only 4 months in some places) and I really want to cut. Right now I'm in twist extensions and they will be coming down in a week. *sigh* I just need to wait...

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF app

Well, my transitioning will be over soon! Yes, I am. I'm going to ......

BC when I reach 14 months post. I can't take it anymore. I'm nervous about the length and how to style my hair, however I know all you ladies will help me. I'll be 58 weeks post next Tuesday.

Sent from my PG06100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I just found a picture of a lady with one inch when she BC'd and I liked it, I would display it but I don't know how to do that yet I might change my plans for my BC from 3-4 inches to 1" I don't think I'm going to make it y'all!

So I cut my hair this weekend.

There wasn't much left of my relaxed ends. There probably are still some left as I wasn't too sure what I was cutting and didn't want to cut my natural hair.

Didn't even intend to do it. i just cut one bit to see how it looked and then everything else followed suit. Sigh.

Well I made it almost 2 years

So I cut my hair this weekend.

There wasn't much left of my relaxed ends. There probably are still some left as I wasn't too sure what I was cutting and didn't want to cut my natural hair.

Didn't even intend to do it. i just cut one bit to see how it looked and then everything else followed suit. Sigh.

Well I made it almost 2 years

no pics?:sad:

You went a long time. Don't feel bad! Congrats!

Suggestions ladies?

I've been transitioning since December. (kind of got started in October but did a touch-up on some leave-out in December) I stayed in sew-ins until February. I gave my hair a week's break and then had twists put in. It's been over 2 months with these twists and I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I'm thinking of going to get the twists touched up around the edges and then holding off for another month and a half to do anything else.

What do y'all think?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF app

Just coming in to wish everybody good luck with their transitions! Even though I BC'd last month, I just love how much support I received from everybody in this thread! I know you all will make it as long as I did if not waaaay longer with the support in this thread. Good luck ladies and see you on the natural side!

Another week another rollerset...

I wanna see if I an get some one to do some cornrows on my own hair and use a faux bun as another transition style....

Back